Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 16,084

banacheck

@SuperWiiU:

The reason for PSNow is so you don't need a console PS3/PS4, you can just use your PC or TV. I remember years back Sony said everyone will have a console under there TV, like everyone had a DVD under there TV. They where right, for a lot of people a console has replaced a DVD.

banacheck

Peek-a-boo

Also, as far as I am aware - although I am prepared to be proven wrong again! - the PS Now platform is a service for Sony meaning it shall be available on select televisions just like the PlayStation Vue service and their movie/music digital store.

A bit like Netflix being available on as many platforms as possible; PS Now won't necessarily just be on the PlayStation 4 in the foreseeable future.

The prices really need a big rethink though. If it was part of the PS+ subscription and allows unlimited playtime for €50 a year, on top of PS+, it would be a worthwhile purchase.

Still baffled over the lack of CD support though, which means we could be playing our old PSone games!

Peek-a-boo

SuperWiiU

banacheck wrote:

@SuperWiiU:

The reason for PSNow is so you don't need a console PS3/PS4, you can just use your PC or TV. I remember years back Sony said everyone will have a console under there TV, like everyone had a DVD under there TV. They where right, for a lot of people a console has replaced a DVD.

And that's great for tablets and TV, but it sucks for PS4 gamers, especially for the ones who already bought them on the other PS platforms.

kyuubikid213

PSNow seems really overpriced... Why not just have proper backwards compatibility?

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Shinion

@kyuubikid213: because that would be the most consumer-friendly thing to do. Welcome to Sony's world, hope you enjoy your stay. Though in PS Now's defence I've heard it works fine, really well in fact, they just really need to work on the pricing, even just completely forgetting about the obvious solution of backwards compatibility, this is something that could work, and Sony does seem determined with it. I honestly wouldn't mind spending an extra £40-50 a year on top of the PS+ subscription to get full access to PS Now, only problems are that even that isn't available in Europe yet and I think Sony are that greedy they think this is worth £100 a year, based on American pricing. That is absolutely absurd and destroys the system before it gets a chance to work.

Shinion

Tasuki

@kyuubikid213: Because the PS4 is alot different then the PS3. One of game developers biggest complaint with the PS3 was how hard it was to make games due to the archetype of the PS3.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

CanisWolfred

If the Xbox One can emulate the 360 well (and I mean IF, we haven't seen it just yet), I think the PS4, being the more powerful machine, can handle doing that, too. Only time will tell...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@Tasuki: That only explains lack of backward compatibility with the PS3, of course. There's no reason Sony couldn't have designed the PS4 to backward compatible with PS1 and PS2 games.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

SuperWiiU

CanisWolfred wrote:

If the Xbox One can emulate the 360 well (and I mean IF, we haven't seen it just yet), I think the PS4, being the more powerful machine, can handle doing that, too. Only time will tell...

The PS3's Cell processor is partly better than the PS4 processor so that makes it even harder to emulate PS3 on PS4 than 360 on the One. And obviously Sony doesn't want to make the effort when they can just make money having you pay for your games again. Sony isn't on a goodwill campaign like MS is.

kyuubikid213

@Tasuki: Well, if PSNow has PS3 games on it, then we wouldn't need the PS4 to actually run the game itself...

This backwards compatibility could work with me poping a PS3 disc into my PS4. The PS4 would then say, "Yep, that's Uncharted 2 on the PS3" and then allow me to play the PSNow streamed version of Uncharted 2 as long as I have the disc.

EDIT: I'm no tech wiz (although I guess I should start becoming one if I want to get into game design), but as long as the PS4 could read the disc to figure out what game it is, there's no issue, right? Is that a hardware or software thing?

Bam. Backwards compatibility "problem" solved.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Tasuki

@kyuubikid213: Except PS Now doest run off of discs or downloads it's a streaming service like Netflix. It doesn't matter your systems specs more your Internet connection. It's just like streaming a PS4 game to a Vita. The Vita's hardware isn't the same as the PS4.

My Backlog

RR529

Tasuki wrote:

@kyuubikid213: Except PS Now doest run off of discs or downloads it's a streaming service like Netflix. It doesn't matter your systems specs more your Internet connection. It's just like streaming a PS4 game to a Vita. The Vita's hardware isn't the same as the PS4.

He never said PS Now runs off of discs, nor that it downloads the games to your console.

He just said that if the PS4 could be updated to at least recognize which PS3 game disc was in it, even though it couldn't natively play it, maybe you'd be allowed to stream that game through PS Now for free, since the system knows you own it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

RR529 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

He never said PS Now runs off of discs, nor that it downloads the games to your console.

He just said that if the PS4 could be updated to at least recognize which PS3 game disc was in it, even though it couldn't natively play it, maybe you'd be allowed to stream that game through PS Now for free, since the system knows you own it.

Oh my bad I read it wrong sorry. Again they couldn't update it cause the PS3 archetype is too different from the PS4. It would be like trying to get a Wii U disc to work on an Xbox One if that makes sense.

My Backlog

Peach64

Sony's Q1 figures are out:

3m units for Apr-Jun
25.3m units overall

I keep expecting it to slow down, but it's still somehow maintaining a million a month even through the summer, and it's doing all this pretty much without Japan.

Peach64

Peek-a-boo

The most mind blowing thing about their latest Q1 figures is that the PlayStation 4 has sold better (this quarter) than the Xbox One + Xbox 360 + Wii U + Wii + 3DS COMBINED.

It really is harking back to the golden age of the PlayStation 2, and if Sony feels like dropping the price to $299 at the end of October, although they currently have no reason to do so, the 2:1 ratio (to the Xbox One) will be effortlessly surpassed.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Peach64

I'd be surprised if they drop the price this year. It's outpacing the PS2, the best selling console ever, with the loss of a fairly big market in Japan compared to the PS2 days. In North America and Europe alone it's way ahead of the PS2. They can afford to wait for a sales dip and then drop the price.

Peach64

-Green-

I'm happy for the PS4; it looks like it's making history. Sony really knocked it out of the park this time (at least so far).

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

rallydefault

Yea, I think it's awesome: congrats to Sony, definitely. It's good for the console business as a whole, too.

rallydefault

SuperWiiU

Peach64 wrote:

I'd be surprised if they drop the price this year. It's outpacing the PS2, the best selling console ever, with the loss of a fairly big market in Japan compared to the PS2 days. In North America and Europe alone it's way ahead of the PS2. They can afford to wait for a sales dip and then drop the price.

The Xbox One is getting some major exclusives this year and Sony has most of it's bigger exclusives coming next year, so they might do a temporary drop to 300 during the holiday season.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic