Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 16,083

BurningSonic

I've been thinking of getting a PS4, but I have a question can you play PS3 games on the PS4?

Friend Code: 3995-6828-7489
Fire Emblem Fates Castle 16401-82620-88445-74773
My Mario Maker Levels
The Burnloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-6828-7489

Peek-a-boo

@BurningSonic: Either through PS Now, which is pretty good as long as you don't mind coughing up for the fairly dear prices as well as a decent internet connection.

You also have God of War III, Journey and The Last of Us remasters if they tickle your fancy too; all three are arguably the best games (of the previous generation) in their respective genres.

I believe PSone games may well be available as downloads at some point in 2016 - hopefully they'll be cross buy if you had already purchased them on the PlayStation 3 or PS Vita!

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

At this point I might end up getting the PS3 just for its virtual console releases and the few exclusives I still want on it.

I love the PS4, but Jesus Christ, Sony...

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Shinion

@Ralizah: got to agree, I ended up getting a pre-owned PS3 for £100 after getting p***** off at Sony's policies for the PS4. Three are some things they do right on occasion but my God could the PS4 be sooooo much better. I'm loving the 3rd party content (Batman, The Witcher 3, Dying Light and more) and their 1st party offerings have been fairly good, already new LBP, Infamous and a few remasters of their better PS3 games with Uncharted 4 nearly here but you just look through PS Now and it makes you cry. £5 to get Dragon's Doma for two days? As if that's even a game worth 'owning' for only two days. Never mind the fact that some of the PS3's best games won't get on there, at least not anytime soon (looking at you Ni No Kuni). On the bright side I couldn't recommend the PS3 more, dozens of must play games. It's been a blast so far.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

@CanisWolfred: That sure showed me!

I swear that there was some kind of news or rumblings about PSone being supported one day. Maybe I got confused with the PS Vita and the PlayStation 4 share play bobbins. Oh well.

It is definitely worth buying a PS3, although I am so surprised that it is STILL $199/£179 to buy the not-enough-space 12GB super slim model (and $249/£229 for 488 more gigabytes). I hope they drop the price of both the PlayStation 3 and 4 in time for Christmas.

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

@DiscoGentleman: 500GB is more than enough for something like a dozen full retail games and a dozen or so indie games however, a few years down the line, you'll soon wish for more space therefore 1TB is probably enough for some. I have a 1TB Seagate hybrid SSHD that not only quickens loading times, but offers plenty of space too.

I can foresee the 1TB PlayStation 4 being $349 later this year BTW.

Peek-a-boo

HollywoodHogan

I'm loving my PS4 so far and can't believe I survived only owning a Wii U since it launched.

I beat The Last of Us which is easily one of my top ten games now. Loved it.

Bought Alien Isolation and all DLC for $36 on a PSN sale and have had a great time with that game.

Got Wolfenstein for $12.99 and that it's pretty fun, and picked up Tomb Raider for $19.99 too.

I thought I was sick of gaming because I had outgrown it the last couple years, but my interest has been rejuvenated now. I guess I had only gotten tired of playing Nintendo games all the time.

Friend to all SJW's

Shinion

@DiscoGentleman: I have around 13 retail games on it, some with added DLC, with only one being digital, and it's far, far too much for my 500GB to handle, that's not even including all the indie games either. If you want around that many games, you'll need the 1TB version, simple as. And playing into Sony's hands, unfortunately (TBF Microsoft are the same).

Shinion

Jaz007

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@DiscoGentleman: 500GB is more than enough for something like a dozen full retail games and a dozen or so indie games however, a few years down the line, you'll soon wish for more space therefore 1TB is probably enough for some. I have a 1TB Seagate hybrid SSHD that not only quickens loading times, but offers plenty of space too.

I can foresee the 1TB PlayStation 4 being $349 later this year BTW.

500GB isn't enough for that though.

Jaz007

SuperWiiU

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Peek-a-boo: PSOne games aren't coming to the PS4, they're coming to PS Now, and no, there are no discounts: http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/01/05/playstation-now-will-g...

PS4 is the only Sony console that can't play PS1 games. The Xbox One can now play 360 games, but Sony doesn't even want to emulate PS1 and PS2 games. The PS3 can even stream PS1 games to PSP and Vita, but you'll need to pay Sony to stream them to a PS4. It's a crazy world.

Jaz007

@SuperWiiU: I don't think enough people would care about a PS4 being a PS1/2 to make it worthwhile though. I think you could play PS1 games in PS3 because Sony saw it would take like 5 minutes to make it work with what they already had or something. (I think it had something to do with the PS3 playing CDs.)

Jaz007

Peek-a-boo

@Jaz007: You are right. The PlayStation 4 cannot play CDs, which is pretty daft in all honesty! It would mean my small collection of my favourite PSone games isn't completely worthless, but alas...

Peek-a-boo

CanisWolfred

@Jaz007: It wouldn't be much effort for the PS4 either. They're purposely doing it to try and entice you to pay for them again, one way or another. While it makes sense from a business perspective, it just means to me that I'll be keeping my PS3 for as long as I can (and I'll try to buy a spare someday, just in case).

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SuperWiiU

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Jaz007: It wouldn't be much effort for the PS4 either. They're purposely doing it to try and entice you to pay for them again, one way or another. While it makes sense from a business perspective, it just means to me that I'll be keeping my PS3 for as long as I can (and I'll try to buy a spare someday, just in case).

From a consumers perspective, you're better off getting a cheap PSTV and playing digital PS1 games on that(if you don't/no longer have a PS3).

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Grumblevolcano

@CanisWolfred: No, only digital PSOne games from the Playstation store (there's no disc drive with PSTV).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SuperWiiU

CanisWolfred wrote:

@SuperWiiU: Can the PSTV play the PSOne Disc games I already spent upwards of $400 total on it?

Maybe, if you stream them from a PS3. I wasn't talking about your/our(add a zero for my total) situation, but in general if a PS4 gamer wants to play digital PS1 games.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic