Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 16,083

Tasuki

Haru17 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

@ELI-ASH: Driveclub is great now that it's fixed and you can get it pretty cheap too. The only thing is if you want to race against other people it's online only.

That's a roundabout way of saying that there's online multiplayer, but no local play. 'Online only' typically refers to games that require an internet connection past the start screen constantly.

But you don't need constant connection you can play time trails and against the computer offline. Just can't do offline co-op.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Jaz007

I got Assassin's Creed: Unity, and I'm liking it a lot so far. It performs well outside of the occasional framerate issuse in cutscenes (how do you mess up the frame rate in a cutscene). It definitally might be the best AC game. It has a lot stealth features missing in previous games, and the combat is a lot better than Brotherhood's. I hope they make a proper (emphasis on proper here) sequel to it one day, rather than losing focus like Syndicate appears to be doing.

Jaz007

Haru17

Tasuki wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

@ELI-ASH: Driveclub is great now that it's fixed and you can get it pretty cheap too. The only thing is if you want to race against other people it's online only.

That's a roundabout way of saying that there's online multiplayer, but no local play. 'Online only' typically refers to games that require an internet connection past the start screen constantly.

But you don't need constant connection you can play time trails and against the computer offline. Just can't do offline co-op.

...THAT'S WHY IT'S NOT ONLINE ONLY! Rrruuurrggghhh, who are these people who walk the halls of there internet, wrap themselves in the cloth of language, but know not its meaning!? Oh, cruel god, why do you test us so!?!?!

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

Jaz007 wrote:

I got Assassin's Creed: Unity, and I'm liking it a lot so far. It performs well outside of the occasional framerate issuse in cutscenes (how do you mess up the frame rate in a cutscene). It definitally might be the best AC game. It has a lot stealth features missing in previous games, and the combat is a lot better than Brotherhood's. I hope they make a proper (emphasis on proper here) sequel to it one day, rather than losing focus like Syndicate appears to be doing.

Have you played AC4?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

...THAT'S WHY IT'S NOT ONLINE ONLY! Rrruuurrggghhh, who are these people who walk the halls of there internet, wrap themselves in the cloth of language, but know not its meaning!? Oh, cruel god, why do you test us so!?!?!

So you agree, it's an online only game. Good to know we all agree on this forever!

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

Haru17 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

I think you need to learn to read befor you start criticizing other people's use of language, dude. Tasuki said the Multiplayer was online-only. Not the whole game.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tasuki

Haru17 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Co-op is online only, that's what I mean. I know what I said. If I meant that you needed a consistent Internet connection I would have said so not co-op is online only. You need to read what people type not put words in their mouths that aren't there.

My Backlog

Haru17

kkslider5552000 wrote:

So you agree, it's an online only game. Good to know we all agree on this forever!

You people are... the worst people...

Jaz007

@CanisWolfred: I haven't yet. (I've played 1, Brotherhood, and own Revelations, but haven't played it) The combat will still has the terrible kill streak system, and it lost focus from the whole Assassin thing a bit much.

Jaz007

Peek-a-boo

Personally speaking, the Assassin's Creed games have never been the same since the second one.

I really do not know how they manage to churn one out every single year too. They are not the most original games (anymore) and nothing really changes from game to game other than the sailing in Black Flag, which was arguably the best one since Assassin's Creed II.

Although they are very different games, open world wise, I enjoy the likes of inFAMOUS or the most recent Batman game more so than Assassin's Creed nowadays.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

Personally, Mordor was the most and only fun I've had with that contextual style of combat system. I hated it in AC3, Witcher 3, and Arkham Knight. Batman also does the stealth + contextual combat that makes Mordor a good game, but you have to do some Street Fighter-like button combos to actually down a guy (which often get misread by the contextual system), which makes the whole combat system a chore for me.

Melee games really need to take a hint from 3D Zelda and Monster Hunter and remove all of the contextual walking, running, and attack animations. It's too futile to be skilled and exacting in combat without a exacting control and animation systems.

bitleman

Haru17 wrote:

Personally, Mordor was the most and only fun I've had with that contextual style of combat system. I hated it in AC3, Witcher 3, and Arkham Knight. Batman also does the stealth + contextual combat that makes Mordor a good game, but you have to do some Street Fighter-like button combos to actually down a guy (which often get misread by the contextual system), which makes the whole combat system a chore for me.

Melee games really need to take a hint from 3D Zelda and Monster Hunter and remove all of the contextual walking, running, and attack animations. It's too futile to be skilled and exacting in combat without a exacting control and animation systems.

Western developers and japanese developers don't have the same priorities. Monster Hunter combat system has a combat system that asks frame perfect inputs. A combat system like Monster Hunter asks a huge work on animations, hitboxes. It's as precise as watchmaker work. Western developers prefer spending this time for making great graphics because it's the first reason why their audience buy their games.

bitleman

Haru17

bitleman wrote:

Western melee combat is mostly bad and Japanese melee combat can be good.

I would tend to agree.

Edited on by Haru17

Ralizah

Haru17 wrote:

Batman also does the stealth + contextual combat that makes Mordor a good game, but you have to do some Street Fighter-like button combos to actually down a guy (which often get misread by the contextual system), which makes the whole combat system a chore for me.

Other than those enemies you need to do aerial attacks on (for some reason the game often misreads the commands associated with pulling one of those off), I've gotten through almost the entire game doing little more than basic attacks, dodges, stuns, and counters. Not to mention if you play it more like a stealth game, you can avoid much of the hassle associated with the combat system.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the game has an intricate, fully-fleshed out battle system that I will probably never explore in any depth, and I'm fine with that.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

bitleman wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Western developers and japanese developers don't have the same priorities. Monster Hunter combat system has a combat system that asks frame perfect inputs. A combat system like Monster Hunter asks a huge work on animations, hitboxes. It's as precise as watchmaker work. Western developers prefer spending this time for making great graphics because it's the first reason why their audience buy their games.

And Western gamers don't like games that require frame-perfect inputs and a lot of effort just to play the game. And it makes sense, quite often "simple to learn, difficult to master" is the perfect formula for games, while games like Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry have such a high barrier to entry that they generally work themselves into a niche unless they can attract the right audience through aggressive advertising.

Batman generally hits the sweet spot, though. It's got depth, but you can still play and enjoy the game without having mastered it. It technically only requires the simpler mechanics, but those deeper mechanics are still there for you to explore if you want them.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tasuki

Played a but of Shantae on the PS4 today. First time playing a Shantae game and so far I am enjoying it. Only thing though it seems like they just did a straight port from the DS as the screen size is small but when you resize it the sprites and that are all stretched out. Probably would have been better porting it to the Vita, if only the Vita wasn't dead.

My Backlog

Ralizah

Tasuki wrote:

Played a but of Shantae on the PS4 today. First time playing a Shantae game and so far I am enjoying it. Only thing though it seems like they just did a straight port from the DS as the screen size is small but when you resize it the sprites and that are all stretched out. Probably would have been better porting it to the Vita, if only the Vita wasn't dead.

Vita isn't dead, despite what Sony seems to think. It still gets tons of great indies and Japanese exclusives. Many of my purchases this year have been and will continue to be Vita games.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haru17

CanisWolfred wrote:

And Western gamers don't like games that require frame-perfect inputs and a lot of effort just to play the game.

Yes, but nothing outside of Dark Souls requires that. You can still have a good, precisely-controlled melee combat game that doesn't require you to be hypercompeditive.

And it makes sense, quite often "simple to learn, difficult to master" is the perfect formula for games, while games like Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry have such a high barrier to entry that they generally work themselves into a niche unless they can attract the right audience through aggressive advertising.

Nooo... Monster Hunter isn't a score action game nor a frame counting-required game, though you can choose to do the later. It's quite an intuitive game, but with a lot of depth and some obscurity to those intricacies. The reason most people give up is because they don't understand or don't come to terms with high animation priority.

CanisWolfred

I just meant that people prefer intuitive controls. And if being successful at the game requires utilizing a lot of gameplay layers and inputs that aren't obvious or well-explained, then it's not intuitive. Not so far as the average western gaming public is concerned, at least.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

HollywoodHogan

Finally took the plunge and ordered a PS4 from Amazon today. $500 (including tax) for the Batman/Last of Us bundle with 3 free months of PS+.

I kind of want to play Batman but if I didn't, I wouldn't regret it. I'm thinking I may sell it for $50 and pick up a couple other used games. At this point this will become my main console, while the Wii U will become secondary. Looks like Devils Third will be a pass, which leaves Star Fox as the only upcoming Wii U game this year that I am still considering buying.

Friend to all SJW's

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic