Ralizah

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

OH MY GOD!

FINAL FANTASY VII!

SHENMUE 3!

THE LAST GUARDIAN!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Shenmue 3 is on Kickstarter now! Spread the word.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3?ref=nav_...

why is everyone ok with sony making people front the money for their console exclusive owned by sega? i just don't get it. blood stained, yookalayle, and mighty number nine may have industry legends behind them but they are still startup companys. i just don't get it.

I don't get this post. What on Earth are you even talking about?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

He doesn't like that we have to fund a game from a big publisher. I know I won't give them my money until the game's out, but in this case, I think having some of the fans put their money where their mouth is might be a good idea. And considering it got over 1 million dollars in a couple of hours, it looks like they're living up to their end of the bargain...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

faint

Ralizah wrote:

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

OH MY GOD!

FINAL FANTASY VII!

SHENMUE 3!

THE LAST GUARDIAN!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

why is everyone ok with sony making people front the money for their console exclusive owned by sega? i just don't get it. blood stained, yookalayle, and mighty number nine may have industry legends behind them but they are still startup companys. i just don't get it.

the ip is owned by sega not an indie last I checked. The game is console exclusive to ps4 out the door. Why are you guys funding it?

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

CanisWolfred

Because it's a continuation of a great game series that never really got it's due, supposedly, but due to Sega's horrible management, is mostly remembered by them as a financial disaster. This is and always was going to be the only way this game would ever exist. I'm more surprised it took this long for a Shenmue-related kickstarter to happen...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

OH MY GOD!

FINAL FANTASY VII!

SHENMUE 3!

THE LAST GUARDIAN!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

the ip is owned by sega not an indie last I checked. The game is console exclusive to ps4 out the door. Why are you guys funding it?

Because:
1) We want it
2) They're willing to make it
3) Kickstarter exists as a means of harmonizing these two realities

Why wouldn't we fund it?

Also, like Canis said, this has no chance of existing outside of a Kickstarter, what with it being a sequel to a somewhat obscure series on the Dreamcast.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haru17

Guys, understand that 2 million dollars is only like 2% of Shenmue 3's budget, max (likely even less.) The rest has to come from a company or consortium of private investors. The kickstarter is just to prove interest. Sony's only involvement is probably arranging the kickstarter and public showcase. There was no way that Shenmue 3 was getting out of E3 without that Kickstarter completed, not with the sheer amount of attention Sony gave it. That's their contribution.

All I know is that I saw a man literally weep with joy (and freak the hell out) when those cherry blossoms fell. That made my day.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

Gamecubed wrote:

I lost my marbles when Final Fantasy 7 came on. AND FREAKING SHENMUE!

Horizon Zero Dawn looks neat. I'd like to see more of that. Still not sold on No Man's Sky at all.

Yeah, No Man's Sky showed weak. If I could describe how that game looks in one word it would be 'sparse.' There's a reason we haven't colonized other planets yet and it's name is entropy.

Anyway, I am so hyped for Horizon: Numbered Sequels are Out of Style, it looks like open world third person shooter Monster Hunter. And that world! It looks so beautiful, like WiLD from back at gamescom. Not to mention the female protagonist! I'm quite reassured by how many female leads we're seeing this year, it's like the AAA part of the medium is finally making a move towards inclusiveness (read: not being chronically sexist.)

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Gamecubed

Haru17 wrote:

Gamecubed wrote:

I lost my marbles when Final Fantasy 7 came on. AND FREAKING SHENMUE!

Horizon Zero Dawn looks neat. I'd like to see more of that. Still not sold on No Man's Sky at all.

Yeah, No Man's Sky showed weak. If I could describe how that game looks in one word it would be 'sparse.' There's a reason we haven't colonized other planets yet and it's name is entropy.

Anyway, I am so hyped for Horizon: Numbered Sequels are Out of Style, it looks like open world third person shooter Monster Hunter. And that world! It looks so beautiful, like WiLD from back at gamescom. Not to mention the female protagonist! I'm quite reassured by how many female leads we're seeing this year, it's like the AAA part of the medium is finally making a move towards inclusiveness (read: not being chronically sexist.)

You know what No Man's Sky actually reminds me of? Does anyone here remember Spore? You'd get to the space stage and you could fly around to all the planets and put colonies on them, and then other species would declare war on you for invading their territory and you were trying to reach the centre of the galaxy. With No Man's Sky, I just don't get it. It just seems like something that would be boring and repetitive after six hours.

I think Horizon definitely has potential to be Sony's next big IP. I would say that I am pretty hyped for it. It's a colourful game with a different setting.
I will also say that I was impressed by how much female representation we saw in a lot of the games. It was kind of refreshing.

Gamecubed

Peach64

Shenmue 3 is perfect for Kickstarter. There's a fairly small but hardcore group of people out there that would happily throw money at Yu Suzuki to see this game get made. Are there no games that you feel that passionate about? As others have said, there's no way a game like this will be purely funded through Kickstarter. As much as stuff like Mighty No 9, Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained raised, none of them will be funded through KS alone. Games cost so much more than that, and Shenmue is probably going to way more expensive than any of them.

If you begrudge giving money to fund a game, then the campaign probably isn't aimed at you anyway.

Peach64

electrolite77

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

OH MY GOD!

FINAL FANTASY VII!

SHENMUE 3!

THE LAST GUARDIAN!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I assume you're looking for an answer other than 'because they want it made?'.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

spizzamarozzi

I was one of the original lovers of Shenmue 1 and 2 and I've waited this moment for years. And yet I cannot fund the game because it's a console exclusive, and the announcement was made through Sony. And I thought, if Sony is behind this, why don't they fund it themself rather than use kickstarter?! Also, Yu Suzuki has spent years praising XBox and its hardware, and now we have a PS4-only crowdfunding?!

Sadly, I think Sony will pick up the game as a publisher later on, when they see that the interest is strong. Even if I funded, I don't think my money are going to go into the actual production of the game.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

NinjaWaddleDee

I'm looking forward to:

Mass Effect
Uncharted 4
Horizon
Unravel
The last guardian
Dreams (whatever it ends up being)
Final Fantasy 7 remake (never played the original, so I'm excited)

Mostly Horizon and Uncharted though, because we got to see a lot of substantial gameplay from them. Mass Effect would be my number 1, but a CGI trailer isn't enough to push my hype level to the max.

Now let's see what Nintendo has cooking! If they announce Metroid for 2016 as well, then it will surely be one of the greatest years in gaming!

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Jaz007

The thing is though, they it isn't Sony's game. They made this very clear before it was announced. They did if because it was a brilliant marketing move, that ensured Sony would be getting a console exclusive.
P.S. It's already at 2.2M on kickstarter.

Jaz007

spizzamarozzi

Jaz007 wrote:

The thing is though, they it isn't Sony's game. They made this very clear before it was announced. They did if because it was a brilliant marketing move, that ensured Sony would be getting a console exclusive.
P.S. It's already at 2.2M on kickstarter.

how can you make a crowdfunded game "console exclusive"?! It's an oxymoron.
Crowdfunded means it's paid by the audience. Console exclusive means that a platform is paying for exclusivity. And if Sony is paying for exclusivity, why not paying for the whole game instead of asking people money in advance?!
Sony must be giving a good financial hand in having this game produced - otherwise I don't understand how the successor to a game that costed 40 millions in 1999 can cost only 2 millions in 2015.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

HollywoodHogan

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

OH MY GOD!

FINAL FANTASY VII!

SHENMUE 3!

THE LAST GUARDIAN!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

They are PRE-PURCHASING it, and also there are fans of the series who are essential buying collectibles and whatnot pertaining to the game which they like.

It's not like people are saying "Here, take my $60 and make the game. Then when the game comes out I will give you another $60 to buy it.".

They are saying "Here, I really want this game so take my $60 to help make it, and when it's finished, you can send me a copy. Thank you".

Really not that hard to understand people.

Friend to all SJW's

HollywoodHogan

spizzamarozzi wrote:

I was one of the original lovers of Shenmue 1 and 2 and I've waited this moment for years. And yet I cannot fund the game because it's a console exclusive, and the announcement was made through Sony. And I thought, if Sony is behind this, why don't they fund it themself rather than use kickstarter?! Also, Yu Suzuki has spent years praising XBox and its hardware, and now we have a PS4-only crowdfunding?!

Sadly, I think Sony will pick up the game as a publisher later on, when they see that the interest is strong. Even if I funded, I don't think my money are going to go into the actual production of the game.

Your money would actually be buying you a copy of the game for a PS4 or PC. So yes, the money is going into the actual game, which you will receive as part of your donation.

Friend to all SJW's

HollywoodHogan

spizzamarozzi wrote:

Sony must be giving a good financial hand in having this game produced - otherwise I don't understand how the successor to a game that costed 40 millions in 1999 can cost only 2 millions in 2015.

As has been repeated ad nauseam, the Kickstarter is a good gauge to tell how many people are willing to put their money where their mouth is in hopes of making this game happen. If nobody donated, no company would put their money towards it. If they earn $5 million, a company would say "hey, these guys must be onto something" and would be more willing to contribute their own resources. No kidding the game will cost more than $2 million to make.

It's no different than how movies are made. You won't get financial backing from a film studio unless you can prove to them that it would be a good investment and that there is an audience.

Edited on by HollywoodHogan

Friend to all SJW's

Gamecubed

I was a little perplexed as to why this was PC/PS4 exclusive for a kickstarter and why Sony was announcing a kickstarter. I'm wondering if Sony is more involved than we think. 2 million can barely scratch the surface of what this game will cost. They could have asked for more than 2 million and easily gotten it. I wouldn't be shocked if we see Sony step in and publish it as development ramps up.

So far, I'm excited for...
Uncharted 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Dreams
Mass Effect Andromeda (need more info though)
Final Fantasy 7
Last Guardian
Shenmue 3
Firewatch
Rise of the Tomb Raider

I hope to see some Kingdom Hearts 3 today.

Gamecubed

faint

HollywoodHogan wrote:

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

faint wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

OH MY GOD!

FINAL FANTASY VII!

SHENMUE 3!

THE LAST GUARDIAN!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

They are PRE-PURCHASING it, and also there are fans of the series who are essential buying collectibles and whatnot pertaining to the game which they like.

It's not like people are saying "Here, take my $60 and make the game. Then when the game comes out I will give you another $60 to buy it.".

They are saying "Here, I really want this game so take my $60 to help make it, and when it's finished, you can send me a copy. Thank you".

Really not that hard to understand people.

i guess you right. i'm sure we are all excited to pay for the next smash bros, god of war, gta, halo, phantasy star, and ninja gaiden two years in advance.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

spizzamarozzi

HollywoodHogan wrote:

It's no different than how movies are made. You won't get financial backing from a film studio unless you can prove to them that it would be a good investment and that there is an audience.

It is entirely different. Movies are pitched to a publisher, not to the crowd. No studio goes to a publisher saying "Hey I've sold so many tickets already now gimme the cash to shoot the film". Unless of course, we have reached a new low in film making that I wasn't aware of.

This is just a pre-order sale disguised as a totally unnecessary crowdfunding.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic