Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 1,781 to 1,800 of 16,084

NinjaWaddleDee

CanisWolfred wrote:

Expectaions do play a big part, but still I'm struggling to understand the appeal of the game. It's a different enough experience from Uncharted 2 that I do feel it's not worth a comparison, yet still I find myself thinking "I wish I was playing Uncharted 2 right now" half the time. And the other half is literred with comparisons to a dozen other games I'd much rather be playing instead...really, it's like the FF6 of action games for me. There's nothing it does that other games haven't done better, and none of it seems to gel in a satisfying way, at least for me. But in FF6's case, it was an early enough game that it could get away with a lot of it. The things it was doing hadn't been pounded into the ground yet. But that's just not the case with The Last of Us...it's basically a greatest hits of the last 8 years of gaming, and much like a greatest hits album, it just makes me want to buy the things those ideas came from instead...

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

To Bloodborne, or not to Bloodborne? That, is the question. I've never played a Souls game before. I like a good challenge, but they seem REALLY unfair. Is Bloodborne at least a little easier?

It's certainly more fair, that's for sure.

I agree. When I started playing it, I was like oh look tps elements. On look, stealth. Oh look, crafting. Oh look, we're doing that "give me a lift" thing that uncharted does. Oh look, uncharted-like set pieces. The story isn't as original as everyone says either. Its a zombie survival story at its core. Also, I literally only cared about the two main characters, but even then, not as much as I did Drake, Chloe, or Elena for that matter. Its weird, because the game is remarkable, but unremarkable at the same time. Also yeah, I'll be checking out Bloodborne this summer then, when I'm done with splatoon.

I was actually thinking about buying Bloodborne this month, but I need to focus my hype on Splatoon. Although I'm not sure I have a whole lot of hype left... Nintendo have covered a pretty good portion of the game it seems. I hate thinking about other games while I'm playing a new one, but I just can't help it!

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Ralizah

@rallydefault
Don't get me wrong: I quite enjoy my PS4. P.T. was just something special, and Silent Hills was looking to be even moreso. I can't think of a bigger video game-related disappointment for me, to be honest.

@NinjaWaddleDee
Never played a proper Souls game, but I have spent a decent amount of time with Bloodborne and have killed about five bosses thus far. I can assure you that there is absolutely nothing unfair about the game. Very few of my deaths would I classify as cheap. If you're like me, you'll spend the first three or so hours dying over and over in the first area before the combat finally clicks. Once it clicks, the game becomes immensely more enjoyable. These games seem to require a certain kind of... mindset, I guess. When I go to play Bloodborne, my thinking and mental habits start following certain patterns.

It is one of my favorite games on the PS4. I highly recommend it, if you're willing to rise to the challenge. This is a game that rewards player investment.

And yes, TLOU isn't nearly as great as people would have you think. It's the video game version of Oscar bait: very pretty, very well-constructed, yet ultimately too full of itself to really connect with me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

NinjaWaddleDee

Ralizah wrote:

@NinjaWaddleDee
Never played a proper Souls game, but I have spent a decent amount of time with Bloodborne and have killed about five bosses thus far. I can assure you that there is absolutely nothing unfair about the game. Very few of my deaths would I classify as cheap. If you're like me, you'll spend the first three or so hours dying over and over in the first area before the combat finally clicks. Once it clicks, the game becomes immensely more enjoyable. These games seem to require a certain kind of... mindset, I guess. When I go to play Bloodborne, my thinking and mental habits start following certain patterns.

It is one of my favorite games on the PS4. I highly recommend it, if you're willing to rise to the challenge. This is a game that rewards player investment.

And yes, TLOU isn't nearly as great as people would have you think. It's the video game version of Oscar bait: very pretty, very well-constructed, yet ultimately too full of itself to really connect with me.

Finally, someone put what I was thinking into words. TLoU is mechanically, artistically, and thematically brilliant. But it just lacked a soul. I even liked Infamous Second Son more. Regardless of that game's length, it really clicked with me. I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something I don't like about TLoU.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)

Ralizah

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

@NinjaWaddleDee

Finally, someone put what I was thinking into words. TLoU is mechanically, artistically, and thematically brilliant. But it just lacked a soul. I even liked Infamous Second Son more. Regardless of that game's length, it really clicked with me. I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something I don't like about TLoU.

Did you play it on PS4 or PS3? The game is absolutely gorgeous on PS4.

I'll say this about it: it was like I was riding a trolley. I enjoyed my time with it, and I would often stop and marvel at the desolate beauty Naughty Dog had created. Yet, I never felt like I, the player, was ever actually inhabiting or surviving in that world. Moreover, I never really thought about it when I wasn't playing it, and I haven't even been able to summon up enough interest to go back and play through the Left Behind DLC, let alone the multiplayer stuff.

Edited on by Ralizah

Gamecubed

Okay, so final thoughts on Dragon Age Inquisition for anyone interested in it.
After beating the game and the going back and starting a save to do a vanilla run of the story, the thoughts have varied.

Playing through again just for the story allowed me to pick out some flaws. If you want to just blow through the story, you can't. You need "power" to unlock these story missions. How do you earn "power"? Side questing. And here's where my issue arises. When I think of good side quests, I'm thinking Majora's Mask or Red Dead Redemption. But here, side quests offer very little substance. Most of them are fetch quests or trivial tasks that have zero impact on the game world and they don't offer any interesting conclusions. Laying flowers on a grave, finding a ring, getting medicine, finding letters of dead soldiers, returning a farmer's lost livestock etc. etc. etc.
This is an issue that has plagued a lot of open world games, and it continues to make me believe that being slightly linear isn't a bad thing.

The characters are good. Everyone has their opinions on that, but I liked most of them. There were maybe two or three I could have lived without, but they were good overall. You can get to know them and whatnot, but I always found myself feeling like I was their boss first and their friend second. I didn't like that. I didn't feel like I was "one of the guys", I just felt like I was the boss and these were my employees who respected and liked me, but we weren't going to hang out after our job was done. In Mass Effect it feels like Shepard is on the same playing field as his/her crew. In DAO, the Warden feels like an equal to his/her companions. But in DAI, the Inquisitor feels like the boss. You feel like you're the boss, you have the final say on everything and you have to have all the answers.

The story isn't as good as DAO. In fact, I feel like DAI is more-so building up to something (presumably events that will conspire in Dragon Age 4). The final fight is anti-climactic and the ending feels like it is lining up for a story DLC (or Dragon Age 4).

Overall, I'd give DAI a 7.5/10. One of the few good games that came out of 2014. It's a good game, you could do a lot worse. It's highly addictive, but after playing through it again and taking the time to kind of examine what's going on, I don't think this should have been GOTY. It looks really nice though.

EDIT: on another note, I was disappointed with the Last of Us. As a Naughty Dog fan, I didn't like it. It looked nice, but it wasn't fun and it felt like it was playing itself. It was like going on a train ride through the countryside. I didn't like that. I have it on PS3, and I still have my PS4 download code (that'll sell to my friend at some point).

Edited on by Gamecubed

Gamecubed

NinjaWaddleDee

@Ralizah I got it for PS4. I missed out on the ps3 version because I traded my ps3 for a Wii U But yeah I agree. The game is beautiful, but I didn't feel like I was there. Which is strange, because Uncharted has a very similar presentation, and yet I actually felt like I was in that world with Drake.

NinjaWaddleDee

Okay, so I just beat the Last of Us. The ending.. wow. Very interesting. I don't really know how I feel about it. Everything I said before about the game still holds true, but that ending was VERY different.

rallydefault

Ah! You guys are breaking my heart

I probably put about 60 hours into TLOU at this point (beat it 3 times, including Grounded...completed both campaigns for multiplayer). It's awesome. But I will say this, and maybe this applies to @NinjaWaddleDee and @Ralizah: I wasn't terribly impressed my first time through. I LIKED it, yea, but I wasn't like, "WOW - this is the best game of last generation" or anything like that.

It wasn't until I played back through, taking my time, looking for ALL the collectibles and playing at a super-high difficulty that I truly appreciated (I think) what the developers were going for, ultimately. The DLC was really cool for the story, too, and I also bought the prequel graphic novel - good stuff if you're really looking to "get into" the world. Plus, you really start to appreciate the gameplay, honestly. The controls are so tight, smooth, and "predictable" (in a good way) when compared to many other games in this genre, that I almost couldn't stand playing The Order or even Gears afterward.

And the multiplayer... man, they could have packaged that as an entirely stand-alone product for 40 bucks and I'd still buy it. It's VERY similar to Gears multiplayer, but it actually has more depth through the crafting/store system. I love the heck out of!

rallydefault

JaxonH

The first time I played The Last of Us, I wasn't impressed. It just didn't click, so to speak. But then I got a PS4 and decided to buy the remastered version. I was so wrong about that game- I ended up loving it! Now, I wouldnt go so far as to label it the greatest game of 7th gen or anything (as some do), but I definitely think it's the pinnacle of the survival/horror genre. Which IS saying a lot.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

SuperWiiU

I never even bothered with TLOU. I didn't like the Uncharted games and the TLOU gameplay trailers I saw put me off even more. Backed up by people like some here saying it felt like a trainride. Which is not how I like my games to play.

Kai_

TLoU is probably a solid 8 IMO, but no where near as good as people claim. The gameplay is nothing special, and let's face it, they're basically just in a zombie apocalypse. The only things that lift it back up are the great characters and the visuals. Still not sure if I liked the ending either.

On another note, is Wolfenstein: New Order good? Or just your average shooter?

Kai_

3DS Friend Code: 0989-2471-3448

NinjaWaddleDee

Plateface wrote:

TLoU is probably a solid 8 IMO, but no where near as good as people claim. The gameplay is nothing special, and let's face it, they're basically just in a zombie apocalypse. The only things that lift it back up are the great characters and the visuals. Still not sure if I liked the ending either.

On another note, is Wolfenstein: New Order good? Or just your average shooter?

It does have samey shooter conventions, but the story is fantastic. And plus the shooter stuff felt cool to me because it is similar to an arena shooter. Although the opening level was really terrible.

NinjaWaddleDee

JaxonH wrote:

The first time I played The Last of Us, I wasn't impressed. It just didn't click, so to speak. But then I got a PS4 and decided to buy the remastered version. I was so wrong about that game- I ended up loving it! Now, I wouldnt go so far as to label it the greatest game of 7th gen or anything (as some do), but I definitely think it's the pinnacle of the survival/horror genre. Which IS saying a lot.

Yeah, I've been playing through bits of the game for my review for my youtube channel, and it DOES get better a second time through.

JLPick

Anyone know of when the next hot shots golf game will be coming out on PS4, or if a new Buzz game is coming???? Other than that, anyone know of a price yet for their virtual reality headset, or is that to be released during E3??? Here's to hoping for a new Jak and Daxter title and Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal and Gran Truismo too!!!! Still want to know more about Kingdom Hearts 3 since we haven't heard anything about it in almost a year.

JLPick

Ralizah

JaxonH wrote:

Now, I wouldnt go so far as to label it the greatest game of 7th gen or anything (as some do), but I definitely think it's the pinnacle of the survival/horror genre. Which IS saying a lot.

Have you played Silent Hill 2?

SuperWiiU

JLPick wrote:

Anyone know of when the next hot shots golf game will be coming out on PS4, or if a new Buzz game is coming???? Other than that, anyone know of a price yet for their virtual reality headset, or is that to be released during E3??? Here's to hoping for a new Jak and Daxter title and Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal and Gran Truismo too!!!! Still want to know more about Kingdom Hearts 3 since we haven't heard anything about it in almost a year.

They only showed a teaser for the next Hot Shots golf. Hopefully they'll show a full trailer on E3 this year along with a release month.
The price of the VR set will probably be priced to target similar devices, so expect a price of 300-400 dollars/euro's. I assume they will announce the official price at E3.

Gran Turismo 7 has been announced, they said they were aiming for around this time to release it, but it's a Gran Turismo game, so expect it in 2017. J&D won't be coming. Naughty Dog is making Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2 will be coming after that. A new J&D won't be coming in at least the next two years.

Ralizah wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

Now, I wouldnt go so far as to label it the greatest game of 7th gen or anything (as some do), but I definitely think it's the pinnacle of the survival/horror genre. Which IS saying a lot.

Have you played Silent Hill 2?

Have you played Silent Hill 3?

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Ralizah

SuperWiiU wrote:

Indeed. I love it, but it's my least favorite of the original three Silent Hill games. SH2 has better story/characters/atmosphere, and the original SH is superior in terms of being an oppressively frightening experience.

Ralizah

So, not only has P.T. been delisted, you cant even redownload it if it is still in your library. In other words, it looks like, if you haven't already downloaded it, you'll never be able to play it, unless you know someone who still has it on their machine.

Edited on by Ralizah

SuperWiiU

Ralizah wrote:

SuperWiiU wrote:

Indeed. I love it, but it's my least favorite of the original three Silent Hill games. SH2 has better story/characters/atmosphere, and the original SH is superior in terms of being an oppressively frightening experience.

The original SH is also more raw and in your face. But I like Heather and the areas of SH3 better than SH2. This reminds me I still need to try that second PS3 Silent Hill game. No point in waiting on a new SH game now.

rallydefault

So... who else is jumping back in to FF X with the "newer" HD remake coming out this week? I've had mine on preorder for awhile now... one of my favorite after FF IX, for sure (never was big on FF VII... shocking, yes).

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic