Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 16,083

Peach64

Sony just announced 18.5 million PS4s sold, with over 4 million during the holiday. I can't wait to see what happens when it starts getting actual good exclusives.

Peach64

sub12

Peach64 wrote:

Sony just announced 18.5 million PS4s sold, with over 4 million during the holiday. I can't wait to see what happens when it starts getting actual good exclusives.

The Xbox One just went back up 400 dollars today as well, so combined with the exclusives, Sony and Microsoft will probably be neck to neck again in NA,...... if not Sony once again taking the crown.....which is pretty impressive considering Sony was playing second fiddle to Microsoft since 2006 in NA (before the PS4 launch).

Microsoft in a way somewhat blundered by scrapping a good number of 1st and 2nd party developers during the onset of the 7th gen.

sub12

Jazzer94

So PS4 has almost done both GCN and soon Xbox numbers in a year and a quarter, and people said 8th gen is when consoles would die.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

sub12

Today they released the "dynamic" theme for the PS4 with no fanfare, download it now! It's easily the best theme thus far, and it doesn't intrude on the text.

sub12

SCRAPPER392

Peach64 wrote:

I can't wait to see what happens when it starts getting actual good exclusives.

That's why I'm confused why it's selling so well. All the 3rd party games are on Xbox One and PC, too, but PS fans are swiping up PS4 with hardly any exclusives. We could say Xbox fans are swiping up Xbox One consoles, as well, but obviously not at a rate as fast as PS fans.

I guess all the people who want Wii U and/or Xbox One are unable to afford them, or those people don't know which console they want? No offense. It's really either one of those, as far as I can tell.

PS fans must have a lot of faith in PS4. That's all I'm seeing from this.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

DefHalan

SCAR392 wrote:

Peach64 wrote:

That's why I'm confused why it's selling so well. All the 3rd party games are on Xbox One and PC, too, but PS fans are swiping up PS4 with hardly any exclusives. We could say Xbox fans are swiping up Xbox One consoles, as well, but obviously not at a rate as fast as PS fans.

I guess all the people who want Wii U and/or Xbox One are unable to afford them, or those people don't know which console they want? No offense. It's really either one of those, as far as I can tell.

Or people really want their accounts hacked lol jk

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

DefHalan wrote:

Or people really want their accounts hacked lol jk

Well, that's their business, I guess. That's not even a reason why I would avoid Sony, I've chosen Xbox One and Wii U for my own reasons.

Besides, my 8th generation Sony machine is the STR-DN1030 It has SEN on it, so I guess I can still get hacked... Ohhhhh noes!

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

kkslider5552000

SCAR392 wrote:

Peach64 wrote:

I'm assuming it's because Sony is the only one that knew how to market a video game console at launch, so they might as well have been a monopoly.

That and they have been doing some cool things. It's just that most of what they are doing are meaningless to me unless I sold both my Wii U and 360 (or if AAA gaming starts being interesting and fun again, which would be nice).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm assuming it's because Sony is the only one that knew how to market a video game console at launch, so they might as well have been a monopoly.

Ya, well, I couldn't really care less about marketing. It takes more than a commercial or conference at E3 to convince me. Even if I see the Destiny commercial that says "PS4 is for the gamers", every hour for the next 10 years, I still won't be convinced to buy either of those products.

Kind of like whenever I see an Apple commercial talking about iPad Air 2, my mind starts thinking about Google Nexus 9.

Qwest

DefHalan

SCAR392 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Ya, well, I couldn't really care less about marketing. It takes more than a commercial or conference at E3 to convince me. Even if I see the Destiny commercial that says "PS4 is for the gamers", every hour for the next 10 years, I still won't be convinced to buy either of those products.

Kind of like whenever I see an Apple commercial talking about iPad Air 2, my mind starts thinking about Google Nexus 9.

Marketing isn't just Ads or Commercials.

sub12

I think they are doing the same thing they did with the PS1 and PS2, and screwed up with on the PS3 (at least initally). Make the console affordable, conventional, easy to develop for, get the third parties on board, have some first and second party output, and lastly, have a good marketing campaign that appeals to a wide demographic.

They nailed it with the PS1 and PS2 but dropped the ball with the PS3 (not initally affordable, not easy to develop for, and poor marketing during the first couple of years.)

Edited on by sub12

sub12

DefHalan

sub12 wrote:

I think they are doing the same thing they did with the PS1 and PS2, and screwed up with on the PS3 (at least initally). Make the console affordable, conventional, easy to develop for, get the third parties on board, have some first and second party output, and lastly, have a good marketing campaign that appeals to a wide demographic.

They nailed it with the PS1 and PS2 but dropped the ball with the PS3 (not initally affordable, not easy to develop for, and poor marketing during the first couple of years.)

I find Sony prefers consoles that don't change anything, that are just the next steps for their console to take. The big difference between the PS3 and PS4 is more powerful hardware. They didn't try anything new (like a GamePad or Kinect) and the reason why that works is that people want familar. People aren't fans of radical change. People still want change but they want it to be minimal. But this is just my personal opinion.

SCRAPPER392

DefHalan wrote:

Marketing isn't just Ads or Commercials.

What else would it be, then? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing

Even with all that in mind, I'm still not convinced to buy PS4. If anything, I see it as more of a reassurance for people who already were going to buy it, anyway. Just like the other day, I saw that the Halo 5 Beta is happening on TV at a restaurant. I was like, "Oh, I guess I'll go play the beta, because I have MC Collection".

Qwest

SCRAPPER392

DefHalan wrote:

sub12 wrote:

I find Sony prefers consoles that don't change anything, that are just the next steps for their console to take. The big difference between the PS3 and PS4 is more powerful hardware. They didn't try anything new (like a GamePad or Kinect) and the reason why that works is that people want familar. People aren't fans of radical change. People still want change but they want it to be minimal. But this is just my personal opinion.

That's pretty much what all of the consoles are doing, though. Even if the GamePad is something different that Nintendo is offering, the Wii U overall is the next step after Wii, and the same goes for Xbox 360 to Xbox One.

It's not like we're seeing commercials about how the Morpheus/Oculus Rift are going to be "awesome", but people that already know they exist are still going to have their own opinions, which is why I'm saying that the marketing is more of a reassurance than anything, especially if people already have the said product. I get surveys from Microsoft about Xbox One all the time, which means I already have an opinion of the matter.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

DefHalan

SCAR392 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

sub12 wrote:

That's pretty much what all of the consoles are doing, though. Even if the GamePad is something different that Nintendo is offering, the Wii U overall is the next step after Wii, and the same goes for Xbox 360 to Xbox One.

It's not like we're seeing commercials about how the Morpheus/Oculus Rift are going to be "awesome", but people that already know they exist are still going to have their own opinions, which is why I'm saying that the marketing is more of a reassurance than anything, especially if people already have the said product. I get surveys from Microsoft about Xbox One all the time, which means I already have an opinion of the matter.

A touch screen controller is not the next step after motion controls. If Nintendo made a "next step" console for the Wii it would just be a Wii HD. Motion controls and everything still there just better looking games. Xbox's problems have been from the DRM issues and the Kinect Bundled in. The Kinect being bundled in hurt the Xbox image and now that they got rid of it their image has been recovering.

Personally I am glad Nintendo has stuck by their guns with the GamePad, as enjoy the GamePad a lot, but I do think it is part of the problem. People judge it before they know what it is.

EDIT: also the Product's image is all marketing, so in part the games being made for the system are part of marketing. Almost everything that occurs with the system is marketing. Sony releasing Sales numbers is another form of marketing.

Edited on by DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

@DefHalen
If you want to include how other businesses and investors see these products, then I guess. I was only counting the consumer perspective of things. Like I said, the marketing still doesn't affect everyone's opinion, so it's a situational thing, I would say.

The Wii U is a next step for Wii. Wii U STILL has motion controls, ALONG WITH better graphics and the GamePad. If you consider a simple upgrade such as a Wii HD, without the GamePad as the next step, then I see that as going a bit beyond your expectations by having the GamePad, no? The GamePad gives more options to developers, which gives more software variety to consumers. That's a step aside from just motion controls; kind of like a beneficial tangent or side step, which is what I would consider to still be a step forward.

I criticise PS for not using Move, Camera, or Vita dual screen functions, all the time. The GamePad, Wii remote, Kinect, and even Smartglass are better incorporated into those console ecosystems than anything Sony is doing with similar products, so I would say Sony is in a worse position, by that regard, but it's still my opinion. A lot of PS fans have made it clear that they don't care about that stuff, and that's a bad thing for Sony, because they still sell those products and fail to support them to the point where they MIGHT care. That's how I see it, anyway.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

sub12

DefHalan wrote:

sub12 wrote:

A lot of gamers don't want motion controllers or a gamepad, or kinect, or so-called asymmetrical gameplay, they just want a console with decent specs, a good controller, and software........as a PS4 and Wii U owner I get both sides, I applaud Nintendo for traveling down its own road.......but I also enjoy the PS4 immensely in its familiarality, and so does a large slice of the market. No knocks against that, the PS4 is a good console, I like for the same reasons thay I enjoyed the 360 (and that didn't include Kinect).

sub12

DefHalan

@sub12

That is my point people want that, personally I don't.

@SCAR392

I agree with you. I just think a lot of people aren't looking for a radical change, they just want a small upgrade with slower changes. I personally want new bigger upgrades and more frequent changes.

Ralizah

The console exclusivity of the new Final Fantasy games, the Playstation exclusivity of Persona 5, the PS4 exclusivity of P.T., and the likely PS4 exclusivity of Silent Hills were primarily what drove me to seek one out.

Oh, and of course interesting exclusives like The Last of Us, No Man's Sky, Bloodborne, Disgaea 5, etc.

Factor in that it costs as much now as an XBONE, yet is clearly more powerful.

PS4 was the only choice for me.

Outside of a few dudebro shooters, the vast majority of the interesting "exclusives" on Microsoft systems eventually end up going multiplatform, whereas Sony hangs on to its exclusives, for the most part.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic