Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,681 to 12,700 of 16,083

Ralizah

So the game went from being indefinitely delayed, to the point where Sony was saying it would refund digital preorders, to just... what, a half-month delay?

All this drama for the game to only be delayed by half a month?

I wonder if the leaks forced Sony's hand?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah My guess is Sony wanted to save TLoU2 for holiday 2020 in case PS5 got delayed to 2021 but the leaks forced them to release earlier.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano Alternatively, maybe there was a cross-gen release planned to beef up the PS5 launch library, which is probably pretty anemic at this point. But, as you said, the leaks forced their hand.

It's sure interesting that we hear about this revised release date literal hours after a damaging leak.

Wargoose

@Dezzy

I just finished FFVII Remake. I thought it was great, I'm interested where they go next. There was so much good stuff in the game, that I actually don't mind the ending shenanigans. I'm kinda like Square this is the first Final Fantasy game I've really really enjoyed since FFX-2. Keep doing what you're doing(as long as the Submarine game makes it in)

Wargoose

Octane

@Dezzy Wait, so you've been working on this game for the last 5 years, and then you decide to ruin it not only for the entire team, but also for all the people who are still looking forward to it. Why?

Octane

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy Wait, so you've been working on this game for the last 5 years, and then you decide to ruin it not only for the entire team, but also for all the people who are still looking forward to it. Why?

There's only hearsay on this, but apparently it was a QA tester who they'd withheld either salary from, or a bonus this person had been expecting, but was delayed due to the game delay. Those are the stories I've heard.
The QA tester part sounds plausible, as those are entry-level minimum wage type jobs with no meaningful creative input. Those are the kinds of people who wouldn't feel any personal emotional loss if the game is spoiled for the audience.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy It's still kinda selfish. But I don't know what's in the contract, if a delay means the bonus will be delayed, then they have no ground to stand on. Either way he's in trouble I presume. Because this is all classified. Throwing a tantrum is never the solution to any problem.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

It's one level below selfish really, given that the person probably won't benefit from it at all. Probably just knee-jerk spitefulness by someone in a really bad mood.

@Wargoose

I still mostly hate the ending, although I can understand that they probably felt a big pressure to throw some sense of uncertainty onto how the next games will unfold. Now that we know what the characters are like, what the gameplay is like, how much new story there is, etc etc, the next game could've easily become very predictable for the audience, and I understand why they'd think that's creatively boring.

The first 95% of the game is brilliant though. I suspect it'll probably be my game of the year. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it for the last 2 weeks. That's rare for me. Most games leave my mind as soon as I finish them.

Edited on by Dezzy

Wargoose

@Dezzy

I think my main issue with the ending. Is how do the characters know they're arbiters, and why are they here in the first place. I think those two questions need answering in the 2nd episode. As I don't think there was much explanation in Episode 1. At this point it's really hard to judge the ending.

On the one hand the game is great from start to finish, so I'm hopeful the other episodes follow suite. On the other hand this is the same dev team that brought us the convoluted Kingdom Hearts series and the frankly unfinished FFXV.

We've got to wait for Episode 2, now the question will be how long and will it still be a PS4 game.

Wargoose

kkslider5552000

this is one of those cases where the "clever" thing is to think about how the developers are hurt by this

but in actuality, what I got is that Naughty Dog is such a terrible place to work that they've clearly broken a human being to the point that they considered this the right decision. Which I find genuinely disturbing, if I'm right.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dezzy

@kkslider5552000

Yeah but on one side, we can say 100% that a lot of developers will be hurt by it. There's no doubt about that.

But issues of working conditions within a company are incredibly dubious and rely on incomplete information. They could be completely accurate, of course. But they could also be deliberately selective reporting by journalists who have an obvious political agenda (and are actually quite open about having one).

Wargoose wrote:

@Dezzy
I think my main issue with the ending. Is how do the characters know they're arbiters, and why are they here in the first place. I think those two questions need answering in the 2nd episode. As I don't think there was much explanation in Episode 1. At this point it's really hard to judge the ending.

I think we actually do already know the answers to both of these. It maybe wasn't very clear, but I think all of the hardcore fans do agree on this:

Sephiroth from the future figured out a way to travel back in time in order to stop his plans from failing during the original FF7 story. The planet detected that he was from a different time and place, and so created the arbiters to ensure the timeline couldn't be changed. They understand the arbiters because Aerith can talk to the planet, that's her power as an Ancient. If you play it a second time through, you do notice that Aerith clearly understands what's going on quite early, but just doesn't want to say anything. As early as when you meet her in the church she does know something about them. She then transfers her knowledge to Red XIII when she calms him down in the Shinra Building, which he does explicitly say while he's explaining the arbiters to you.

Edited on by Dezzy

Magician

The PS+ games of May are Dark Souls Remastered and Dying Light...allegedly. I already have both, but at least my brother will have an excuse to finally give Dying Light a try. It really is a solid co-op experience.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

Finished FF7R. Roughly 43 hours for my first playthrough. 41.5 hours of it were amazing, and a huge improvement on the original in almost every way. 1.5 hours of it were like some bizarre Kingdom Hearts crossover, tonally inconsistent with the rest of the game, and clearly designed to lampshade the fact that the deveopers want to make other large changes to the iconic story. I'm not necessarily opposed to this being a pseudo-spinoff/sequel to the original, but there's really no way to reasonably up the ante at this point. The game went from 0 to Gurren Lagann in no time flat, with the team beating up the personification of fate and then Cloud dueling with Sephiroth... in space? Honestly, the best thing the sequels could do is pretend this bizarre sequence never happened. Trying to out-crazy this ending is going to ruin the story.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

My Move Controller order was cancelled, as apparently they didn't have any, so there goes that.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

That's pretty much identical to my reaction too.

Octane

@RR529 Yeah, they're incredibly difficult to find. I've been looking for well over a year, but no store has them in stock.

Octane

redd214

It's crazy how the perception of the move controller changed over time. I bought 2 and a charging dock back in 2014 to play Just Dance and only payed $20, now they're selling for 5+ times that!

redd214

TuVictus

Glad I got mine with my Psvr, they are really neat for many vr games.

Also, I'm nearing the end of FF7R. It's interesting to see the reactions to the ending, but I'm wondering if this "Nomura is now gonna do whatever" to the story seems to go against what he said in the Ultimania about keeping the main plot largely unchanged. It'll be interesting to see where the sequels go, at least. Gameplay is great, I'm just absolute garbage at it most of the time, haha

TuVictus

Dezzy

Assassin's Creed reveal about to happen! Vikings is a setting I'm definitely up for. Especially if they keep that more RPG style of Odyssey. I'd love to see that in a Viking setting.

TuVictus wrote:

Also, I'm nearing the end of FF7R. It's interesting to see the reactions to the ending, but I'm wondering if this "Nomura is now gonna do whatever" to the story seems to go against what he said in the Ultimania about keeping the main plot largely unchanged. It'll be interesting to see where the sequels go, at least. Gameplay is great, I'm just absolute garbage at it most of the time, haha

Those comments are incredibly ambiguous because it's not clear whether he's referring to all of the new games, or just the first one. The ending has made it so that "Remake" might just mean the first game, but not the next ones.

Edited on by Dezzy

Ralizah

Square-Enix isn't stupid. They've made clear they'll hit most of the same story beats with the sequels. Honestly, there's no reason not to: the original game has a ton of narrative material to explore and expand upon. The... ah... stunt at the end of the Remake just gives them wiggle room to make bigger changes where they see fit, I think.

The real question is: will Aerith still die? On one hand, it's probably the most iconic scene in the original game, and I'm sure S-E is loathe to disinclude it.

On the other hand, having it play out the same would make all of the stuff related to whispers, the harbinger, etc. at the end of FF7R feel kind of pointless. I'm curious how they'll play it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic