Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,621 to 12,640 of 16,084

Octane

@Ralizah I think they look flat because there's a transparent nubbin on top of it, which makes it difficult to see from some angles. I prefer regular buttons, the transparent layer makes it look a little cheap IMO.

But you can see it here: https://images.pushsquare.com/00fe87bfb2bfe/ps5-controller.or...

I do like the little rim of resistant rubber around the control sticks.

@JaxonH With haptics you mean the HD rumble, right? Is there a game on Switch that makes good use of it? Because I've had my Switch for nearly three years, and I don't see what different from normal rumble. The rumble in DS4 can activate left and right separately, and with different intensities; Fez uses that in a really neat way. But that's HD rumble, right? Or am I missing something?

Octane

Octane

@redd214 After seeing the Spider-Man mock-up I'm convinced there's a lot of potential for some rad designs.

Untitled

Octane

TuVictus

Yeah, I can't wait to see some of the combinations they come up with. With Microsoft offering their design lab and Nintendo emphasizing joy con color combinations, it makes sense that Sony would design a controller that looks like it'd be good for their own various possible color combinations

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

redd214

@Octane yes there are some awesome mockups I've seen. Tons of potential with the two tone! I agree on HD rumble, it was such a focus initially but it's really pretty underwhelming in practice. Hopefully this is better than nintendos implementation which hasn't impressed at all.

redd214

Octane

@redd214 Yeah, I'm curious to try out the haptic feedback in the triggers. Sounds good on paper, I'm not sure if it will put additional strain on the triggers, but if it's quality-made it should be fine I think.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@TuVictus Nintendo kind of gave up on controller customization a few years ago. The last special edition pro controller was released in December 2018 (Smash) and very few new joy-con colours added after 2018 (we don't even know if the Animal Crossing blue joy-con will be released separately from the console.

I could kind of see the next Switch (whether successor or slightly more powerful revision) be pretty much a dockable Switch Lite.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Octane
The thing with the HD Rumble is, they designed it around using split joycon. There’s a lot of games that use it really well but you’ll never actually notice it using a pro controller or connected in handheld mode. Or, it’ll feel unimpressive.

And a lot of games were not designed with that kind of rumble in mind, either. So they either didn’t do it at all or they translated normal ramble to haptics which, doesn’t tend to work that well. Once everyone has adopted the technology so the developers are forced to actually use it, and get better with it in time, it’ll seem a little more impressive.

The only real difference, I think, is the PS controller will be made to be felt in a normal controller while Switch is made for split joycon or, at most, the doggy controller.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH But the Pro Controller has HD rumble too. I doubt they put it in without the intention of feeling it when using the Pro Controller. So I can only assume that haven't played any HD Rumble games.

Octane

link3710

Okay saw the controller and I am officially super excited that Haptic Feedback is in. With Switch/PS5 both supporting it now, devs are going to start putting more work into good implementations. It's still my favorite new controller feature, even if it's been heavily underutilized thus far. If the controller keeps gyro as well, it'll probably be the best controller on the market in my book.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

Apart from the built-in microphone, the PS5 controller seems ok.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano You can connect a headset with microphone via the headphone jack or via Bluetooth.

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
It’s not that the “intention is to not feel it”, it’s that the intensity was designed for split joycon. And since games are not going to send different amounts of intensity depending on the controller you use (at least, not yet, given how new the tech is it’s hard enough just getting devs to use it in the first place), the pro controller simply inherits the intensity designed for the joycon. Which is why it feels very faint when using the pro controller or Switch in handheld mode.

I’m not saying anything new here, these are just observable facts. Play a game like Fast Racing RMX with split joycon and notice how amazing it is when you hit the guide rails. Now play with pro controller... it’s underwhelming.

But with multiple systems implementing the tech, and one of those systems having a default normal controller, we should see full adoption in the next few years, and a better understanding on the development side of how to properly utilize it.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@Octane My point was more a case of not really having a choice between voice chat and no voice chat. Sure there's a mute button but what is the default and is it easy to notice whether you're muted or not.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Octane

@Wavey84 ''Based on our discussions with developers, we concluded that the sense of touch within gameplay, much like audio, hasn’t been a big focus for many games. We had a great opportunity with PS5 to innovate by offering game creators the ability to explore how they can heighten that feeling of immersion through our new controller. This is why we adopted haptic feedback, which adds a variety of powerful sensations you’ll feel when you play, such as the slow grittiness of driving a car through mud. We also incorporated adaptive triggers into the L2 and R2 buttons of DualSense so you can truly feel the tension of your actions, like when drawing a bow to shoot an arrow.''

So depending on your action, the triggers can adjust its resistance; for the bow drawing example, it may require more force to pull the trigger as you pull your bow.

Octane

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Ya, like I said I’ve got nothing against the touchpad. It’s certainly not hurting anything by being there. But the most I’ve ever used it for is to open a map. It does at least offer one more programmable button on STEAM, and if the controller had extra paddle buttons that’s 3 extra programmable buttons, which I’m all for (speaking of which, does it? Because if it does that’s certainly something worth talking about- makes a better 1:1 with STEAM controller).

@Dezzy
I used it once, to spray paint in Infamous Second Son... and that’s pretty much it. Like, I totally appreciate them adding Gyro because for me, PS controller is my PC controller (although now that I finally got my switch pro controller working, I’ve been bouncing back and forth), but I don’t actually understand it from their point of view because they just don’t use it for anything noteworthy.

If they actually adopted a system level config where you could assign gyro to the right analog, I would buy a system day one, no questions asked. I might even consider switching back over from PC. Same thing for Microsoft, I left a comment on IGN’s interview with Phil Spencer saying, “Decisions based on needs of the gamer huh? Why don’t you add Gyro to your controller and a system level config to map it to right analog, if you did that I dropped PC gaming on the spot and buy a Series X”.

They just don’t seem to have any interest in utilizing it. Certainly not Microsoft. And that’s a shame because otherwise the Series X looks like a killer console. I’m totally on board with the instant suspend, but as long as gyro is out, I struggle to justify buying one. And it kind of feels the same for PS5 because I’m just never going to play a game on that system if it doesn’t have gyro. And that can also be blamed on 3rd parties, but 3rd parties follow the lead of the platform manufacture. As with the Switch- Nintendo introduced gyro, turned gamers on to its potential, made sure all their games utilized it, and then pushed for its inclusion with 3rd parties. And now all the 3rd parties are putting gyro in their Switch games. That needs to happen on the other platforms.

Btw, it really is hard to unsee Mario’s overalls once you picture it 😁

Untitled

And I’m definitely calling this the “Honk” button. I can’t keep up with all these weird symbol buttons that change every generation. What was wrong with Start and Select...

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@TuVictus Fair enough, Nintendo Life should've had an article on this.

Grumblevolcano

TuVictus

Funny thing is I could have sworn I saw the article here, but I had to google it just to be sure I wasn't misremembering

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic