Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,341 to 12,360 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Sometimes I think that FROM games are the Sony fanbase version of Smash.... Though it doesn't sell anywhere close....

@PikPi I mean, a new PaRappa would make the console an insta-buy for "many" people. Doesn't mean it's a mass market system seller.

@Octane "same people" Very good point.

NEStalgia

NotTelevision

A lot of good stuff coming in Q1, but I would have put it on hold for Cyberpunk. Looks set to dominate the discussion during the majority of 2020 as well. How massive is this launch going to be? 😂

NotTelevision

NEStalgia

I know Witcher 3 is well loved and all, and I know Cyberpunk looks kind of cool, but I still worry about any game riding such a hype machine.....rarely does the product ever live up to the hype because generally it's not possible.

Cyberpunk is like a test balloon for GTAVI marketing or something

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@PikPi I think that most who would buy Bloodborne 2 day one, are probably the same people that will buy a PS5 day one regardless of whether Bloodborne 2 is on it.

Nahhh. Bloodborne 2 as a launch game would definitely shorten the time before I buy a PS5, but I'm still not buying it day 1. It's never worth it to buy a console that early. Huge price and almost no games. I always wait a minimum of a year and a half. At that point you can usually get a used console for a lower price, and there are usually quite a few good games out by then!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy Well, this incoming gen is the first time there actually is a legitimately cool reason to upgrade early. With BC, your existing library can (should?) also get a performance bump. At least swaths of it. So that makes early adoption a little more intriguing. OTOH, I've also learned that the first revision of the hardware is almost always the worst choice. It costs more, is bigger, runs hotter, runs louder, and the mid-gen refresh is almost always the most owned version of the machine with the kinks worked out.

NEStalgia

redd214

Yeah this upcoming gen seems like it's really a not much downside to be there day one. New console, better controller, better performing games, new warranty, without losing out on current games all for a few hundred bucks. Lose nothing a gain a bunch

redd214

link3710

In terms of system sellers, I think it's important to keep in mind what's a system sellers differs for everyone. What sold me was Digimon Cyber Sleuth (which I ended up playing on Switch anyways somehow cause it got announced right after I bought the system) + Digimon World + Kingdom Hearts 3. Persona 5 would have too if it hadn't been seemingly a lock for Switch back then. But I'm well aware my tastes are well off from most, yet I doubt any of the games I wanted it for would be what most would call system sellers.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

What I wonder the most with games like Cyberpunk is how a next gen version will exist. Will it be 1 version for both gens and the existence of PS5/Series X enhanced patches which really make the most of the system or will it be 2 separate versions with the next gen version coming out a bit later like TLoU PS3 and PS4.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

redd214

@diwdiws it's not launching for 10ish months away. If someone is in a position where they can't sock away 30, 40 bucks a month then yeah they obviously have bigger things to worry about than a launch ps5 sure.

redd214

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Good question. I guess that depends on whether they want to go the extra mile and optimise it for next gen as well. But I also think that a PS5/Series X box on the shelves sells better than a BC PS4/XOne version. So they may want to do something similar to TLOU.

Octane

Octane

The last few chapters in Death Stranding are absolutely ridiculous lol.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Did you only just finish it? You were hyping it to high heaven like a year ago.

Octane

@Dezzy Not yet. I'm on the last few chapters. Did you finish it?

Octane

RR529

The world design in Kingdom Hearts III is a bit all over the place.

Toy Box (Toy Story) and Twilight Town (original) are designed more like the worlds from older KH games (each consisting of large-ish areas to explore), while the Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean) takes the design to the next level, being it's own little open world playground you can sail around freely. These I feel are the best from a design perspective (even though, from what I've experienced, Twilight Town has been scaled back in size from previous appearances).

On the other end Kingdom of Corona (Tangled) & Monstropolis (Monster's Inc.) are essentially lengthy hallways with the ocassional open area (for fighting purposes) that you're funneled through mostly one way.

Then in the middle you have Olympus (Hercules) & Arendelle (Frozen) which have the hallway esque design, but they remember to put in a branching path here and there (Arendelle does shake things up a bit though by including the labyrinthine ice labyrinth segment).

Still not done with it yet, and am looking forward to seeing how the next worlds are designed.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Dezzy

@Octane

Haven't got it yet. I decided to get Fallen Order and Gears 5 for Christmas instead. I'll try Death Stranding at some point when it's got to bargain bucket price though, because I was interested in the concept.

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

@Dezzy Yeah, it's pretty neat. I liked it more the more I played it, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Octane

Dezzy

About to finish Jedi Fallen Order, and my opinion is pretty much just a more emphatic version of what it was near the start.
Fairly average/good gameplay wise but incredibly good storytelling and use of Star Wars IP. It feels more like the original Star Wars trilogy than anything I've seen or played for decades (including everything by Lucasfilm/Disney)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic