Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,241 to 12,260 of 16,083

Dezzy

Lol well I was right to say there was no point of that right before Game Awards.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NotTelevision

I was looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima the most so overall I didn’t feel like it did much for me. I hope there is a release date reveal at the Game Awards.

I liked the RE3 trailer. Think everyone already knows what to expect from that one. It will be a very good Resident Evil game that sticks to the formula of the classic games. That assemetrical multiplayer game doesn’t interest me, but it’s included in the package so it’s something to do after finishing the 15-20 hour campaign.

Babylon Falls looks like it has a long way to go.

NotTelevision

Dezzy

Do we think RE3 is going to have a first-person view?

That did seem to be shown in the trailer. Or was that just for dramatic effect?

TuVictus

It's confirmed over-the-shoulder 3rd person. Which is good, but I can't say I wasn't excited at the thought of the remake going 1st person when I saw it.

TuVictus

Dezzy

Yeah I just noticed there was the 3rd person view in the trailer too.

Ryu_Niiyama

Well Ghost of Tsushima is a bit further than I'd hoped but at least they didn't say holiday next year or kick it to ps5. That being said it was a nice trailer.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Anti-Matter

Untitled
Dreams will be released on 14 Feb 2020.
And why does it rated T Teen ?
Possibly inappropriate contents ?

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

TuVictus

I cannot wait until they release the eventual VR update to Dreams. I think that's when I'll buy it, assuming it's not included at launch.

TuVictus

RR529

Started up the single player mode of Star Wars Battlefront 2 this morning.

It looks absolutely stunning & is suprisingly difficult (though that may be due in part to the fact I don't play too many shooters, and am playing in 3rd person), though a bit glitchy (on many occasions enemies would go in and out of walls, one of which was responsible for one of my deaths, when I thought I had cleared a room I was suddenly being shot at again & before I died I found an arm sticking out of a wall shooting me).

I'm not a huge SW fan, but in general like sci-fi things so am wanting to try out more of the games.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Monkey_Balls

Hi everyone. I was hoping you knowledgeable folks could help me please...

I recently purchased a 500GB PS4 Slim, bundled with five games (Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTAV) for £230. I haven't opened it yet as it's for Christmas. However...

There are now loads of deals for the 1TB PS4 Pro (e.g. £250, with two games), and I'm not sure whether to stick with the Slim or exchange it for a Pro. Advice please?

Some points to consider:

• The last console I bought was a Wii U (2013). I have never played a PS3/360/PS4/Xbone; I don't own a Switch or gaming PC. Therefore I'm not overly fussed about the power/graphical differences between PS4/Pro. I'm more concerned about performance: a stable, smoother experience and a machine that will last. Is the Pro a vast improvement or not so much?
  • I only have a 32" 1080p TV and not planning on upgrading any time soon. I'm not after the home cinema, surround sound experience; I just want to play games. Am I better off sticking to the Slim?
  • I have also bought the PSVR. Will this work better with the Pro? If so, is there a significant difference?
  • Will a 500GB HDD be sufficient - at least for the first year or so? I will be mainly purchasing disc-based games, not digital (maybe a few).
  • I want the five games (mentioned above) that came with the Slim. Unfortunately, if I return the Slim then the games will also be returned as part of the bundle. I will need to purchase them again, so that would be extra expense to consider (£75?).
  • I've heard the Pro has a loud fan. Annoyingly so? Is the Slim a lot quieter?

So...
Stick with the 500GB PS4 Slim and five games (£230).
Or
Exchange it for a 1TB PS4 Pro with two games (£250) and buy the other five games (£75; total: £325).

Taking everything into consideration, what would you recommend? Is the Pro worth it? Thanks (and sorry for all the questions).

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Ralizah

@Monkey_Balls Image quality is supposedly better on the Pro with VR. Otherwise, games generally only enjoy minor enhancements on the hardware. It's mostly a stop-gap for people with a 4K TV before the real next-gen consoles arrive.

My opinion? Just keep the Slim. The 500 GB of space on the hard drive might get a little cozy after awhile (I've made do, personally, but some people seem to feel the need to hoard game installs on their HDD), but you can supplement that with an external hard drive, which is a cheaper way to add on space.

EDIT: Doing the math, expect the games to require about 307GB of your 500GB hard drive. Plus you have VR games to install. So expect the current crop of games to eat up most of your hard drive space as long as they're installed on there. Thankfully, game saves are stored separately, so if you delete something when you're done with it, you can free up space.

RDR2 is the biggie, requiring about 107GB of free space to install on your system.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Monkey_Balls If you don't have a 4K TV, the Slim is perfectly fine. I'd recommend the Pro if the price is only marginally higher, but then again, I'm still rocking my launch model PS4 despite owning a 4K TV, and the games still look good to me. I wouldn't worry about that too much. For PSVR, it does provide better image quality I've heard. But I've nothing to compare it to, so I cannot how how much better it is. The image quality on PSVR is a bit grainy in general though, so I'm not sure how much of that is improved with the Pro. Anyway, I do recommend giving Astro Bot a try, because it's hands-down the best PSVR title available at the moment!

Storage may become an issue after a while, depending on how many games you buy and want to have available at all times. I have a 1TB model, and most games are up to 40-45GB for the big releases. But RDR2 is an exception at over 100GB. You can easily delete the games though after you're done playing them (and still keep the patches and save data of course). Especially if it's a game you're likely not going to return to in the coming months. If you have the games on disc, it's not an issue, but if you own them digitally, you're dependent on your internet speed for your downloads and installs, so that could take a bit more time I guess.

Octane

RR529

Thanks to PSN's Christmas & Year End sales, I stocked up.

• Kingdom Hearts III
  • Knack II
  • LEGO Jurassic World
  • Tales of Berseria
  • The Order: 1886

All for under $60.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Monkey_Balls

@Ralizah @Octane

Thanks for your replies; sorry I haven't replied sooner - I've been busy with this Christmas nonsense...

I'm surprised. I was expecting people to wholeheartedly recommend the Pro over the Slim, but you both seem to be recommending that I stick with the latter. I have a few more questions, if that is okay?

You both mention that my games (just five of them) will take up a bulk of the HDD (and that's not including my PSVR games) - am I correct in understanding that all PS4 games are fully installed onto the HDD from the discs? I wasn't expecting that; I assumed some kind of partial install was required, but not the entire games?! Hm, maybe the Pro, with a larger HDD, would be better then.

Octane, you say that you'd "recommend the Pro if the price is only marginally higher", and that seems to be the basis of my conundrum really. I paid £230 for the Slim with five games; I can now get the Pro with two games (either Death Stranding, Days Gone or COD:MW, plus Metro Exodus) for £250. Would you say that was "marginally higher" and therefore worth it?

You also mention that "the image quality on PSVR is a bit grainy in general" - I think this might sway me to the Pro if the image quality is better. Is it really that bad on the Slim? I was planning on getting as many PSVR games as I can (Resident Evil 7, Skyrim, Astro Bot, etc), but having second thoughts if the quality isn't so great.

Also, would I need to get the Move controllers (one or two)?

Thanks again for replying; I'll reply quicker next time (I've been busy recently). I'd also appreciate comments from others, especially those with a Pro and PSVR. Thanks.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Octane

@Monkey_Balls Uncharted, TLOU and Horizon are all around 50GB. Generally you can assume that's true for big Sony games. Around 40-50GB, so they fit on a 50GB disc. GTAV with all its updates is getting close to 80GB, and RDR2 is around 100GB (before updates) as well. You certainly picked the biggest games available on the system

Anyway, those games will take up the majority of your HHD. So I'd personally recommend buying a 1TB system, because that means it's less of a hassle deleting games to make room for new ones. But deleting and installing a new game is a fairly quick process. At least, I personally don't mind waiting 5 minutes for a game to install.

I cannot say how much better the PSVR quality is on a Pro, as I've never experienced it. So you may want to look some reviews up online (video comparisons are kinda pointless I presume). And whilst the Pro is only 20 quid more, if you're also planning on buying the games you're otherwise getting with the Slim, it's going to be a bit more expensive, so you may want to take that into account as well.

But yeah, if you don't own a 4K TV, a Pro is able to offer better performance in a select few games, better PSVR quality (but I don't know how big the difference is), and in this specific case, more storage. But keep in mind that 1TB PS4 Slims also exist.

As for the PSVR itself. It definitely works. Astro Bot was a magical experience. But the image isn't as clear and crisp as it would be on a TV. Just keep that in mind. Move controllers definitely enhance the experience, but not all games require it, or even support it. So if I were you I'd look up the PSVR games you're most interested in and see if they support move controllers. Astro Bot, for example, is build around the regular Dualshock controller, so it doesn't even support move controllers.

Octane

link3710

One thing to keep in mind is if you have a data cap (as I do) the bigger hard drive will let you cycle games less often, putting less of a strain on your data usage. Games are huge after all and can eat through it quick if you aren't careful.

link3710

Octane

@link3710 If you're buying everything on disc, data caps don't matter. You don't download the games, you install them from the disc, so it isn't taking away any of your internet usage. You can leave the patches on the system itself, you don't have to download those again.

Octane

link3710

@Octane That's actually good to know lol, I assumed the game wasn't on disc with how long it takes to install. Last game took about 2 hours I think?

Though at this point, 2/3 of my library is PlayStation Plus titles so...

link3710

Ralizah

@Octane @Monkey_Balls I just want to reiterate that, if space is the concern, it's a FAR better idea to just buy a external hard drive than it is to buy a system with a larger hard drive. I don't know about Amazon in other regions, but on the NA site, I can buy a 2TB external hard drive for $90.

A couple of videos to watch when considering the differences in VR performance.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic