Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,121 to 12,140 of 16,084

Ralizah

Honestly, the second boss in the Nioh alpha (the succubus, I think) was harder than any of the bosses I've ever fought in a Souls game.

Souls games aren't tremendously difficult combat-wise once the combat CLICKS. When I first started playing Bloodborne, my first Souls game, I died and died and died until... I didn't. Something clicked, and I got the rhythm of the action down, and I played through a good half of the game or so with relative ease (Bloodstarved Beast, or whatever it was called, really sucked until I got more aggressive; combat in that game is designed to reward aggressive play) before losing interest and moving on.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

I found Bloodborne to be the hardest so far too.

Maybe because I used a shield so much in Dark Souls though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NotTelevision

@Dezzy Haha. Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’d rather not spoil anything for you. Curious to hear your thoughts when you get close to the end though.

The RE2 remake is really great. You’ll be able to get that one on a nice sale by the end of the year as well.

Added: See, I though DS1 was a lot more difficult than Bloodborne. The DLC bosses in BB are really challenging, but some of the things DS1 makes you do are ridiculous. Those two archers in AL, those poison dogs with the Capra Demon, and traversing Blighttown stand out.

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

Dezzy

@NotTelevision

The problem with DS1 was that it was the first game in the series I played, so it's hard to judge the difficulty, because a lot of it was just me getting used to the style of gameplay in the series.

I never had much trouble with the 3 examples you give. In fact I've played the game about 5 times and I don't think I've ever died on those archers. I was warned about them beforehand though, so knew vaguely what you had to do.

CanisWolfred

The Outer Worlds just arrived yesterday, and I'm excited to start it up this weekend. I got 5 other games I'm gonna celebrate the Halloween season with, though: Devil May Cry 5, Code Vein, Remnant: From the Ashes, Batman: Arkham Knight, and MediEvil. I got 'em all installed, I can hardly wait to get started!

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

I still can't figure out how to get Souls to click. If you go super slow with combat it's just boring and frustrating. If you try to go aggressive with combat I end up just mashing buttons and dying. I was never really able to make it both successful and fun at the same time. And the worlds never compelled me to try very hard. It's one of those series I keep questioning how it's so popular. Not that I can't see it having a niche, but I can't understand how it developed a large niche.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

A lot of people do say that they don't really "get it" to start with, but then they get to a certain point in the game and something clicks.

That certainly happened to me. I tried the original Dark Souls three times before I actually got into it properly. The first 2 times I stopped after an hour or so.

It depends how much time you've put into it really. If it's just a few hours, like 1-5 hours worth, I'd say you should keep trying. But if you've played like 10 hours+, and it's still not clicking, maybe your brain's just not wired for it.

Quite a few of my favourite games actually fit this pattern (that I didn't originally enjoy them but persevered anyway). I have the same with Mount and Blade. I hated that to start with, but so many people said it gets incredible so I just pushed through, and now I love it.

Edited on by Dezzy

NEStalgia

@Dezzy I'm not sure how many hours I put into it....I almost had fun for a brief while. But the empty world mixed with "take 5 steps, wait. Take 5 steps. Wait. Do it all again to gain more currency. Be ultra cautious and paranoid of losing said currency." I was really just not fun even trying.

Not sure what the difference is. Some games I can get really hooked on trying even if I keep failing. DS just wasn't one of them. I liked what I saw of 2 more than 1. But ultimately I just couldn't get into it at all. I think my brain must not be wired for it.

OTOH, FE I've always sucked miserably at but always get addicted to trying until at least part way through the game when it's just so difficult and I can't really figure out what I'm doing wrong. Then I try again next time.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@Dezzy I don't think you can get away with calling Bloodborne or Sekiro Dark Souls games since they still have differences. While Bloodborne is the closest to that and could perhaps get away with it, it has much less armor/stat customization than any Souls game and further simplifies Dark Souls mechanics, boiling the combat down to fast rolls + spamming R1. And Sekiro has even more differences like no stamina, a jump button, and very little customization. Even though it builds on posture from Bloodborne and Dark Souls III as a core mechanic, it's still different enough to be its own thing.

I found Bloodborne the easiest game though. Rally makes it so getting punished for taking hits is less severe, and blood gems are absolutely massive power creep that blows your DPS to ludicrous proportions. The healing system (which lets you have 20 vials right from the start) only further tips the favor to you. Enemies are the fastest and most unpredictable of the games, but you also have speed on your side.

It's still my third favorite From Software game (The Adventures of Cookie & Cream and Dark Souls 1 are still higher), but it feels the easiest for me.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

Yeah it sounds like you're just going into it expecting it to be something that it isn't. It's not an action game like Devil May Cry, and it's not a story-driven RPG like The Witcher.

It's hard to explain how to enjoy it though. All I can say is that once you reorient your playstyle and your expectations in line with what the game wants, you begin to see how clever so much of the game design is, whereas if you're still trying to play it as an action game, you'll probably miss a lot of stuff.

@EvilLucario

Well they're obviously different, but I meant it could be the same series in the way that Zelda games or Final Fantasy games are. Namely, they all share a kind of core formula, but then change all of the details.

I think Bloodborne and Sekiro fall into that category. They're not more different from Dark Souls than Final Fantasy 12 is from Final Fantasy 10.

Edited on by Dezzy

Magician

So Sony just filed trademarks for PS6 through PS10.

At least the name of future Sony consoles won't be a mystery I suppose.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TuVictus

Makes sense. Must be alot easier for them than Nintendo or Microsoft's marketing research department, lol

TuVictus

Ralizah

@Magician It's for the best, I think. Some of Nintendo's console names have been strange and confusing.

Actually, so has Microsoft's consoles.

Sony kept it simple. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

NEStalgia

Why confuse the target consumer with such big numbers? They should stick to colors and shapes so the core of their market can understand

NEStalgia

link3710

@Ralizah I was just trying to explain to a non-gamer the other day how the Xbox One comes after the Xbox 360, and is different from the original Xbox, and yet connected to the Xbox One X. It reminded me of the days of trying to explain the Wii U lol.

link3710

Dezzy

It makes sense when the concept behind your console is pretty consistent. Microsoft should do the same frankly.

Nintendo are justified in doing it differently because they try and innovate with hardware a lot more.

TuVictus

Well yeah, there's only so much you can do after Super Nintendo. Ultra Nintendo, Ultimate Nintendo, Pinnacle Nintendo, 4th Dimensional Nintendo

TuVictus

Dezzy

I'm pretty sure they used most of those for Street Fighter 4 iterations.

NotTelevision

@NEStalgia I think the reason I like the Soulsborne games is because it is the closest thing we have to a big budget annual Castlevania or Metroid nowadays. They are very simple in that they just drop you into a massive world and see if you can progress with the tools given to you. It’s sort of forces the player the make the most of what is given to them because at times it feels like you need to start a large fire with blunted flint.

NotTelevision

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic