Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 11,421 to 11,440 of 16,083

TuVictus

Currently stuck in Sekiro. I appreciate the change of pace from FromSoftware, but I do miss the dodge rolling and being able to tailor your character to your playstyle. Sekiro wants you to play the way they designed it. And that's okay, and it's extremely well made, but it means I hit walls in the game much more often

TuVictus

redd214

@NEStalgia honestly for you you're probably better off just getting an adapter to make your elite work with the PS4. I think that would make you happiest

redd214

RR529

Finished up Astro Bot: Rescue Mission this morning, with all bots & chameleons collected, plus with all the crane machine toys obtained as well (although I tried some of them out, I don't think I'm going to get into the challenge stages since they mostly seemed to be timed obstacle courses & mini games). I put more detailed thoughts in the "Games You Recently Beat" thread, but I really enjoyed my time with it.

Gonna take a break from VR for a bit though, as I now have InFamous: Second Son downloading, which I got sometime back during the December/January sales (really enjoyed the first on PS3, but that's been a long time ago now).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

NEStalgia

@redd214 I actually did that, but the wireless adapter gets....fickle. And on occasion I get driven crazy by having to remember what button does what. I don't typically look at the button labeling and have it memorized, but on more occasions than I realized I find I glance at it and it messes me up like crazy. Also trackpad not matching to options is disorienting.

It's not a bad setup, but I find more times than not I've just been grabbing the DS4 (though for some reason sometimes it doesn't respond. Not sure if the controller is going bad, or if there's just some RF interference coming from somewhere messing up the BT signal to the PS4. I have a Hori Onyx which I actually like, but it has horrid input lag.

NEStalgia

redd214

@RR529 Second Son is great, the add on First Light is awesome as well. I actually think is even a bit better than the base game in some ways.

redd214

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia I just bought The Story So Far (it was on sale for $30) and it'll likely come this Thursday. So I can't help since I'll be getting to Kingdom Hearts after beating Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Paper Mario, but I just want to say that the DualShock is my least favorite controller out of Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo. It ain't bad though, it's just my least favorite.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario I have to say that KH has this weird difficulty spike throughout the series in the final chapter. you'll love it. The whole game is consistent, until the final chapter which in every game I've played so far just becomes this non-stop march though boss battles that are far nastier than anything else in the game. I suspect you'll find it "easy" somehow I actually stopped KH1 in the last world...the one boss was just slaughtering me and driving me far too crazy to continue. KH2 seems more doable (so far) with the absurdity, but I just can't figure out how to best that guy.

I can say I generally hate boss battles in every game, and always have. My least favorite part of any game, and I have to suffer through them - Caniswolfred thinks I'm nuts. But I just get too stressed and never really enjoy them (and generally it's the opposite of enjoyment...) HOWEVER KH2, actually all the boss battles so far have been unusually fun with unique gimmicks to them. One of the few games I actually liked doing the bosses. But this guy...and any of the optional side-battles against the black coats.......I just have no sense of what is going on at all. Their penchant for teleporting doesn't help. This guy....the first half is understandable, but the full screen attack that more or less one-shots you (or 2-shots if you had enough health...) ugh. Still better than KH1's Chernabog (Fantasia)......I wanted to get to the end...but...I just couldn't suffer that anymore. I'm just glad it's not VR.

Yeah, I'm no Dualshock fan. It's grown on me to rise above "loathing" into "ok, it's serviceable in the same way a Mad Catz pad was serviceable in the 90's" But given a choice I'd use anything else

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Huh, I'll keep that in mind. But I'm gonna play KH1/Dream Drop Distance on Proud and KH2/Birth By Sleep on Critical after recommendations from friends whenever I get to 1.5 + 2.5.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@redd214 Second Son was fun but felt short like it was rushed out for launch window (and that rushing appears to have not helped the series.) I agree the add-on was (though short) even better than the base game...more like the first game. I still absolutely love the first game....they kind of broke the whole tone of the series after that. It had that great dark-comic vibe that they failed to duplicate in 2.

@EvilLucario Of course .you are.....

NEStalgia

Ralizah

The Dualshock 4 is the best all-purpose controller this gen.

Xbox One pad = No gyroscope.
Joy-Con controllers = D-buttons instead of D-Pad. Digital triggers. Difficult to use as one integrated controller on PC/other consoles.
Switch Pro controller = Bad D-Pad. Digital triggers.

Also, DS4 is the only controller with a sensible stick/D-Pad arrangement that allows for ease of use with both.

It's very much a "desert island controller." Give me a DS4 and a universal controller adapter and I could happily play all games across all other systems.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Fair point on the missing gyro on the X1, though virtually nothing on PS4 actually uses the gyro for anything meaningful. VR aside. The Switch Pro doesn't have a bad D-Pad at all. In fact I like it substantially more than the DS D-pads. (Don't equate the current one with that awful first production one...that one had a bad D-pad, and also had colossally terrible sticks that failed often.)

Switch pro technically probably wins "best all around" with the best battery all around, (if we exclude X1 Elite which trades the gyro for really nice extra buttons and customizable sticks.)

DS4 has all the right "features" but I still find the sticks unergonomic and all the buttons mushy and imprecise. Though I will always cede "best buttons" to Razer controllers. Those micro-switch buttons are just dreamy.... no other controller compares in that regard.

Edit: Also if we're going to compare 1st production Switch Pro, we need to compare it to first production DS4...the one where the rubber fell off the sticks, guaranteed, the triggers creaked and squeaked (or broke), and the battery lasted through, maybe the intro cutscene to a Naughty Dog Walking Simulator(TM)

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Octane

NEStalgia wrote:

Fair point on the missing gyro on the X1, though virtually nothing on PS4 actually uses the gyro for anything meaningful.

I think that's more an issue with the games than the controller itself.

Octane

Octane

@leonardofr 1. Use of Language
b. Do not post in foreign languages; All posts should be made in English, non-English posts will most likely be removed.

Octane

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Man gyro really needs to be a thing on Xbox controllers. Maybe with Xbox Two.

Still though Switch Pro Controller is my go-to. I prefer digital triggers and while the D-Pad is worse than the DS4's, it's still good enough. Plus the battery in the Switch Pro Controller is just fantastic.

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The DS4's true potential is only unlocked on Steam.

Also, I've heard conflicting things about the new D-Pads on the Switch Pros. My only direct personal experience is with one of the older Switch Pros. The impression I get is that you still wouldn't want to use the D-Pads for something like Tetris 99 or Celeste.

I've owned a DS4 since 2014 and have never had one bit of trouble with the controllers. My DS4 still looks basically like it did the day it came with my system. Very durable controller.

@EvilLucario The DS4's battery really is its biggest issue. It's embarassing how poor the battery life is in comparison to the Switch Pro. It's like a Game Gear compared to an OG Gameboy in terms of how much juice you can get out of each without recharging them.

Turning off the lightbar on Steam does help with the battery life. Too bad that's not possible on the actual console itself.

Edited on by Ralizah

EvilLucario

@Ralizah You can pair the DS4 with Bluetooth and still get gyro working, right? I tried to pair my Switch Pro Controller with Bluetooth but it didn't work, it only works with a wired connection and if I use x360ce, I think I'll also give up gyro like that.

Should say that both controllers work fine when wired, I just want to use both of them wireless.

I don't want to keep unplugging those wires or unplug my external hard drive lol.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Ralizah

@EvilLucario Yeah. I only connect it via Bluetooth. Cords suck.

Have you tried pairing any other controllers with your PC? Switch Pro should connect fine via bluetooth, from what I've heard.

Edited on by Ralizah

EvilLucario

@Ralizah The crappy thing is, weeks ago Bluetooth DID work for my Switch Pro Controller. Now it just doesn't. I have no idea why... it's driving me up a wall.

Regardless I'm probably gonna just sync my DS4 controller with Bluetooth then.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I don't think it counts to say Playstation has the best controller when it's only the best controller if you don't use it with Playstations.

I had 3 DS4s at PS4 launch. All 3 of them got relatively little use due to 3DS and WiiU really taking over my gaming at that time and little on PS4 interested me for years. All 3 of them had the rubber cracking off the sticks off years ago. I didn't have other mechanical problems beyond the dismal battery, though one of the triggers squeaked. Still, never had the rubber fall off any controller. Wear down, sure. Not disintegrate. Note even the cheap PDP stick caps. The newer ones fixed that of course, but the point is comparing launch controllers, both were dismal. Note that those were launch day controllers....maybe they fixed it by the second wave when you bought in 2014. Nintendo fixed theirs between March and December.

Switch Pro D-pad is "Mega Man fine", so I can't ask for more than that. The OG was was garbage. Left or right = diagonal. It feels "clickier" too now. X1 Elite circle disc remains the best D-pad I've ever used though (including 3rd party like Scuf discs.) Clicky like a 3DS. Bigger than Switch pro. and smooth transition of the finger. Second place is the NES pad. I have both side by side (broken OG with a left stick that drifts like a broken rudder) and new (September.) The D-pads definitely feel different. I almost wonder if a spacer was missing in the OG's. It feels like it can't find center.

You can turn off (or at least dim) the light bar on PS4. It's in the controller settings if you long-press PS. I have mine on but dim (new model controller, not touching those awful OG ones again.)

@EvilLucario Do you use the Switch Pro on Switch? I've found with the Brook X One adapter for Elite, that it works fine with PS4, but if I switch it to Switch, generally Switch no longer recognizes it and neither does PS4 even when I switch back. It wants to be one mode or the other. Maybe it's not the X One but all controllers that Switch does that to.

Also, I finally got past THAT boss in KH2.....it was absurd, and then the next boss has a different version of the same cheap gimmick.....so now I'm stuck on that until I get the timing down. They both have this ohko attack of shooting beams/projectiles at you. They only bring it out in the last health bar (they have like 10 health bars.) Basically they shoot in the round. If ONE hits you, then it freezes you in place until they ALL hit you. And all of them will kill you even with full health. It's an annoying, cheap, ohko attack that you have to do the whole battle just to get to. Supposedly you can run in a circle around the perimeter to avoid it, and it will happen multiple times, frequently near the end of the battle. I hate those kinds of cheap attacks. I don't mind the learning to dodge the pattern (if the pattern can be found) in the first half...but don't make me endure ridiculous "if you get hit once, you die unless you run perfect circles with imperfect controllers" garbage. At least the second boss has ONLY the one cheap trick. The one prior had a few gimmicky things that there's no way to discover but trial and error trying to figure out what's actually going wrong. If you're going to introduce a new mechanic in the last 5% of the game in the middle of a boss battle.....at least TELL me you're doing it. There's a moment with a reaction command in a split second, different from all others, with no exlanation. Ugh. I don't even mind trial and error, but don't make me sit through 15 minutes of finger strain only to give me a guaranteed death numerous times until I endure it enough to figure it out. THEN make me walk back for 2 minutes to try again.

Speaking of controllers though. I seriously hate DS4 sticks. They HURT. Boss battles make me clench the controller....I go into stress-mode, pulse-pounding....really not fun...but the worst is those rims on the sticks simply HURT my thumbs in that state, especially with in the round bosses. I finally switched to my (wired!) Razer Raiju (og).....the sticks were soooooooo much more comfy (and it even has the parallel layout.) Not painful. And those microswitch buttons...the frantic mashing was so much faster than the DualMush.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic