Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 11,101 to 11,120 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@redd214 It's a shame, it's a fun store to browse in. There's just little incentive to spend money there. High pressure sales staff (preorders (pfft), though I like the staff in my local store, the fact that they open new games and sell them to you at full price (I still doubt that would even stand up to legal challenge....), the fact that they push trade-ins like crazy but yield pennies on the dollar (then sell it for near full price.) They really just make it impossible to like them.

But yeah, I do enjoy browsing the store...it's a neat atmosphere....and I want to want to do business with them....they just seem to be entirely unable to incentivize doing so unless they're the only one with stock on something. And when I actually DO find reason to do business with them....they mess it up colossally like this.

By contrast I used to shop EB weekly. I bought loads of stuff there. Great store. I didn't even buy online, it was more fun buying in EB. The day GameStop bought them everything good about it turned into everything bad. The store was remodeled in ugly yellow (they since remodeled it to be less ugly), they started pushing used, used used!, they started opening new games before sale, and pushing their credit cards, rewards etc. It was an overnight turnaround from an amazing store to a kind of gross one. The stores aren't bad like they were then anymore. But the corporate policies and handling of everything are still a disaster.

FWIW, a week or two ago they announced they lost half a billion last quarter (even with the fraud preorders ) ..... this is what happens when you try really hard to make sure your customers would rather shop at Amazon, Target, Best Buy, and PS Store. They do.

I don't want to see the stores close...but....it's a catch 22. They're the Walmart of gaming, and they destroyed all competition. But I'll miss the gaming posters in the window in my local shopping center.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia High pressure lol! The clerk in the grocery store today asking if I wanted paper or plastic bags was more high pressure than the gamestop guys last night. Theres 15+ Gamestops within 15 miles of me and I have probably been in most of them. Cant say I ever had a "bad" experience shopping there. Like I said shame you havent had the same luck.

Moving on, the sale this week is pretty good on the psn, Mostly VR stuff but anyone interested in Wipeout its onlt $6 for the collection which is a steal!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

RR529

Finished up Unravel tonight. Might seem surprising given that I just completed the true ending in DQXI yesterday, but I've actually been playing Unravel in conjunction with DQ's post game in order to break up the grind. Anyhow it's a gorgeous & charming little puzzle platformer with a bit of a moving narrative. Got stumped a few times, but nothing I couldn't figure out after about 5 or so tries. By far the hardest part, at least for me, was a little uphill section in the final level (raged a bit at that part, but it was worth it in the end).

Just started up Senran Kagura: Estival Versus tonight as well. Seems like it's going to play more like a Warriors style game, which could be fun (could be pretty grindy too though). My god though, I knew what I was getting myself into, but it would be so embarrassing if my family sees me playing this, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Starburst

Ive had a base model Ps4 for a while now and have been thinking about upgrading to the Pro. To anyone here that has one, do you feel it is worth the upgrade?

Whats poppin

Switch Friend Code: SW-5982-6570-5215 | 3DS Friend Code: 3583-5718-9476 | My Nintendo: Neko | Nintendo Network ID: Nekokanane

redd214

@Neko77 to be honest, at this point unless you can find a ridiculously good deal or really care about 4k I would just go for the regular slim. Doesn't do 4k obviously but you still get HDR if that's important to you. The ps5 is seemingly going to be here soon enough according to most rumors, may as well wait for that and save yourself $100 in the meantime.

redd214

Starburst

@redd214 Thanks for the reply, im guessing there isn't really a huge difference in gameplay between the 2 consoles then?

Whats poppin

Switch Friend Code: SW-5982-6570-5215 | 3DS Friend Code: 3583-5718-9476 | My Nintendo: Neko | Nintendo Network ID: Nekokanane

Dezzy

@Neko77

You should wait until the PS5 is announced and see if it's backwards compatible. If it is, just wait to buy one of those. If it isn't, get a PS4 pro.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

redd214

@Neko77 no really much. Some games will have the option to run at 60 fps vs 30 but it's not a huge difference. Games will load a little bit faster but actual gameplay will be virtually identical on both. I have both the pro and the slim side by side on identical tvs and you won't be missing a ton going with the slim. Like I said unless graphic fidelity is really super important to you and you demand the best, save some cash, get a slim, and use the savings towards the ps5

redd214

Starburst

Sounds like its probably not worth it, so I guess its just time to save for the Ps5, thank you both for the info I appreciate it! @redd214 @Dezzy

Whats poppin

redd214

Plus lineup for February announced, and plus cloud storage getting bumped from 10hb to 100gb!

Edit: this is also the last month for PS3 and Vita games on plus

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Starburst

@redd214 That's a deal breaker, I guess I need a pro for that sweet bacon lol

Whats poppin

shadow-wolf

@NEStalgia Wow you’re right it’s quite the story. Well hope you’re enjoying KH3 now on whichever platform is best for you! Never played any KH game but I’ll give it a shot if the series ever makes an appearance on Switch. (I don’t own a PS4 nor Xbox One. I guess I could get it for the PS3 perhaps ... but at this point I’ll wait for a virtually inevitable port of one of the KH games to Switch.)

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

CanisWolfred

@redd214 And they went out on Divekick & MGS4. Bummer.

Glad I held out for Hitman Season one, though. Almost bought it a zillion times, but then I'm like, "It's been out for a while, maybe it'll hit PS+ soon?" And here we are. SoonTM

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@Neko77 I'd offer that it can be worth the upgrade depending on how you play. Yes, load times are faster. There's that slight graphics or FPS difference. But the big thing if you sit near the screen or use a monitor instead of TV, is supersampling AA on 1080p screens (or 2k/4k on higher res screens.) Jaggies/shimmers bug the heck out of me, and Pro solves that, so I definitely prefer my pro mostly for that reason. But yeah, with PS5 around the corner, BC might matter. If it happens.

@RR529 You know,l back in December I actually bought SK: Estival based on you mentioning getting it, and your list of games generally matching games I like, despite swearing off SK long ago. YOU OWE ME MY MONEY BACK! 3 minutes in and it's already got a kiddie upskirt. sigh Delete.

@shadow-wolf I didn't spin up KH3 last night, though I downloaded it, but I started back into KH1 in tribute of release day....I played parts of some, none of others, and none in the HD remasters yet, so I want to go through the series in order. You know, on my non-KH3 PS4 Pro.....that temporarily isn't beeping....

They're definitely weird games. The story at this point is complete nonsense and doesn't even have any coherence to it. The gameplay is often experimental and questionable. Yet somehow it always comes together as really fun. Hard to not take joy in an action RPG that crosses Final Fantasy and every Disney film ever while keeping FF moodiness too. Donald Duck talking to Aerith. Not something you expect to see. As long as you never try to make no sense of story, characters, what's happening and why, it's a good time DDD on 3DS was.....weirder than normal though.

I doubt KH3 will show up on Switch, but the older games, I have no idea why "Story so Far' is still a Sony exclusive. Half of them were originally Nintendo handheld games to begin with!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

RR529

@NEStalgia, yeah, it's definitely not for everyone, but I find it all so over the top as to be funny. Gameplay wise it's pretty decent, although rough around the edges (while you can lock on to enemies, it's only your camera & not your character that locks on to them, which can be annoying).

Definitely seems to be built on grinding away to unlock pics, costumes, and the like, which I probably won't be too bothered with, rather than pure length, so it shouldn't take me too long to do a single run through of the story.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Starburst

Ended up getting a Pro, only had to pay $245 after the trade in of my older ps4. Not bad, and honestly games look great on it. Monster hunter looks fantastic on it, runs great too.

Whats poppin

NEStalgia

@redd214 Bwahahahahaha! My eyes are watering.... That's just sheer poetry. Suddenly the $25 middle finger seems like a bargain. At least they didn't pawn off Fallout 76 Tricentennial Edition copies as an apology. I take it back, I didn't need to explain the many levels of fail GameStop represents. This link does it all for me.

@Neko77 Awesome! You'll like the upgrade. It's easy to say "it's not a big upgrade", and it's certainly not what X1X is compared to X1S where it's almost a new platform, but when you have it in hand, the difference just feels good. The snappier UI alone is noticed by me. Then again I'm impatient to slight hesitations in UIs.

NEStalgia

Starburst

@NEStalgia Yeah i noticed that right away, its much much faster. And it looks great in 4k, even just the UI looks better

Whats poppin

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic