Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 11,101 to 11,120 of 11,651

NEStalgia

@CanisWolfred "I'm not a hipster, I'm a snob!"

Have you played the second? There's more secret finding in that one. Combat is surprisingly deep, relatively. You so need to know at least several of your movesets and how to use them. I haven't played 1 in a while. But i still don't see linearity or even repetitive pay as inherently bad. Rpgs are repetitive by definition. So are fighters. Not all games need to tell captivating stories or have interesting characters, that's what books and film are for. Games just need to be fun to play. If they also tell good stories that's icing on that cake.

The trouble with being a "connoisseur" of video games is that theres no rubric for what counts, and it ends up entirely subjective based on preference but leads to condemning games based not on then actually having unforgivable flaws, but simply not being what one likes.

If i were to fault knack for anything is that it's too much like Skylanders at times. But ultimately it'sa better skylanders without toys and with more "traditional"gameplay.

NEStalgia

Spanjard

Yeah Knack is pretty bad. I think it was Knack 2 you got as one of the monthly free games a little while ago.
I stopped playing when I realized I was fighting again the same ugly bird with the same boring level design, and the balls these devs had thinking I wouldn’t notice because now it had a “forest” theme.
I don’t think it’s worth your time, I would rather pay money to undo the whole experience. It’s one of those games that make you realize games are hard to make, and so I will give it credit for that.

Edit: It seems I confused the Knacks. It was the first Knack I was referring to. So Knack 2 might actually be good.

Talking about free games. How do I buy a game on the store that I got for free?

Edited on by Spanjard

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

scubydo

Thinking of picking up a PS4 for the God Eater series...

RPG, FPS, Adventure,Action...oh I like 'em all!
New Switch ID: SW-3806-8055-1317

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Dezzy

ReaderRagfish wrote:

I feel like our definitions for words are completely different. Whatever. This conversation doesn't seem to be going anywhere, so I'll just leave it at that.

Lol 90% of internet arguments.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

I mean, it obviously depends on the genre, but games can be linear while still offering some degree of design openness. The word "linear" can mean a lot of things, and I do think it's OK to use it as a pejorative when you're referring to an experience that feels, well, automated, like you're on rails. That's OK if I'm playing Sin and Punishment or something, but with RPGs, platformers, etc. this can really harm the appeal of the experience. It's like the difference between older Final Fantasy games and XIII. Both are "linear" experiences, but the older games in the series give you some level of freedom and agency about how you'll progress, and just crafted the world map and available traversal methods to funnel you down a narrative route. When I played those, I still felt like I was experiencing an adventure. FF XIII, though? The game makes me feel like I'm running down a hallway the entire time (supposedly it opens up late-game, but hell if I'm gonna play it long enough to get there). It's miserable. Even the battle system feels automated. It's a game that might as well be playing itself, because it has no respect for player curiosity or agency.

Same with the word "cinematic." Lots of great games have cinematic elements to them, like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but that's not the same thing as a game like The Last of Us, where's there no clear distinction between when the player has control and when the game has control, so the entire thing feels like an extended series of interactive cutscenes.

Language is a funny thing.

If any of that sounds hipster-y, I'll wear that label with pride. I have no problem with departing from popular opinion, and the gaming community online has issues with people disagreeing with whatever it is the gamer hivemind has settled on.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Spanjard That's funny, that's basically my opinion of the supposedly great Bloodborne....

But yeah, Knack 2 did improve a lot on Knack 1....1 was a launch game 5 years ago, so you have to expect it aged a bit. Though I do want to go back and play it again and see how it held up.

IIRC to buy a game you got for free, I think you may have to do it in a browser, on the console it just shows as "purchased" if I remember correctly, as long as Plus is still active. It's been a while though, so I'm not sure.

@Ralizah for a platformer or brawler/BUMP, or even a shooter styled that way, I don't think linear is a valid pejorative. For an RPG or adventure, sure. But most platformers that aren't "metroidvanias" or "3d collection platformers" are on rails by design. A few like Yoshi games aren't, but those are the exception, not the rule. Non-linear BUMPS would kind of suck, though it can be done. Bayonetta series is almost completely on rails without ever feeling problematic the way FFXIII does, largely because RPGs are about exploration, not endless combat, while an action game just needs to funnel you to the next action scene.

I agree with your impression of FFXIII, partly because it has nothing to break it up but cutscenes. Even Knack 1 is less hallway simulator due to mini puzzles and platforming breaking it up. FFXIII didn't even have that. The problem with FFXIII wasn't so much that it was an endless hallway, it was that its design didn't even use the hallway. They could have just automated a successive series of battle screens and it would feel the same. Where Knack has you proceeding down a trail, and enemies might pop out, and turn into an arena battle, and then a second wave of the arena with a different monster might pop out, and then after they're gone you might have to solve a simple puzzle or move a box around, or use your big/small mechanic to get onto a small ledge or something, or even just break crates/crystals; FFXIII just has you walk down straight or curved track pieces with little to no right/left movement allowed toward a waiting crowd of enemies you see the whole time. The only purpose of the hallway is to link battle screens together. FFXIII-2 is also mostly a hallway, but doesn't suffer the same way the base game does simply by adding alternate trails that go the same place, some treasures to find, and taking the enemies off the main screen and introducing a random battles system. Fundamentally it's not different, but it feels so different.

Though I will say, going through FFXIII again (now that it's X1 BC) I'm enjoying it WAY more this time. The combat was always very very good in the game. But like everyone else the first time through I kept waiting for "real" FF to begin and it never happened. I was disappointed. Going into it knowing what to expect makes me enjoy it a lot more. It's flawed, but I can appreciate what it is now rather than lamenting what it isn't.

It does open up in the late game when it decides to try being MH/Xeno, slaying huge monsters in a huge open field. Battle isn't automated. In the beginning you have almost no abilities so you just select auto attack endlessly. This is the other fault of the game, the whole on rails part is practically tutorial, slooooooooowly adding features of the real system. By the time you fight the Cocoon L'Cie (I still can't type that without gagging a little) you have a really really well designed battle system...one of the best in FF actually. I hated the world to that point, but always thought the battle system was good. Once they actually give it to you. It's really an extension of XII's ATB. They just hide the first 15 hours behind auto attacks.

Oh, no question, you and Canis are both hipsters, though you tend to go full hipster in opposite directions at times.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

Octane wrote:

What is that ?
A Direct for PS4 ?

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (99)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Just curious.
How did i beat the first time battle with Barthandelus FF XIII ?
The Damages i threw to him was 1000 - 2000+ , how the heck i beat him ?
I gave up after several times Failed to beat him with Chain combo take him Staggered (4 years ago).

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (99)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter Hah, my memory isn't good enough to remember that! I haven't gotten there on my replay yet, so I last did that when it launched....9, 10 years ago now? I remember it was a really hard battle and I almost quit the game there. That's probably the biggest thing I remember about the game (that and how much I loathe Hope.)

I do think you had to keep up the BREAK status almost continuously. And use a lot of healing. But I don't remember the actual strategy....unfortunately since I'll end up having to do it again

The incentive to do it is strong though: You get to the actual game afterward.

NEStalgia

Spanjard

@NEStalgia I just started playing Bloodborne again, never finished the game, so I had a chuckle because of you making that comment. It’s as if you’re spying on me.

Yeah, it doesn’t give me the option of buying. But I’ll try the browser idea. Thanks.

SW-7849-9887-2074

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Like I said, though, a game can be linear and still offer some degree of design openness. Think about the difference between something like Super Mario Bros. 3 (broadly linear, but some ability to tackle certain levels in different orders, or to skip levels, and to tackle things differently when replaying them) and Crash Bandicoot (where you literally run down hallways the entire game).

@Spanjard It doesn't work in the browser, either, if you guys are talking about buying games you already have access to on PS+. I've tried. I believe you can do so once your sub has lapsed, however.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah That's different, yes. Though given Crash is dominating charts for months 20 years later, I'm not sure one can say it's "worse"....it seems to be very long lived in design.

@Spanjard LOL....and here you thought the PS Camera was just for VR.....

NEStalgia

Spanjard

@Ralizah Ah that’s awkward. That’s some game slavery right there, all those games waiting to be bought free. Sincere question. How does this work for the developers? Do they get a very good deal from Sony by putting their games on the store for free never to be bought again? I can imagine Sony’s argument for it, even though I’m not sure it would hold up, but the devs side of things I’m puzzled by.

@NEStalgia Hahaha, playing ps4 will never be the same...

Edited on by Spanjard

SW-7849-9887-2074

Ralizah

@Spanjard It's weird. Putting the "free" games up for sale so that they get even more money from you seems like common sense, right? I think a lot of smaller devs probably like the exposure given to their games by being featured as Plus downloads, and, with regard to "bigger" games like Yakuza or Bloodborne, I imagine they're getting more money from allowing their games to be featured on Plus now that they're 'old news,' so to speak. Which is why something like GTA V will likely never come to the IGC.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Then again there was the story of the dev who's large number of installed players didn't net them a foot in the door for publisher funding on a new game because it was mostly PS+ installs. Not sure they really got much out of that.

Bloodborne's first party so for them that makes sense. Costs them nothing to distribute, reinvigorates the brand, gets it back in discussion and thus more purchases later (can I sell back my copy at current retail price? )

Yakuza...no clue, that hasn't even been out long enough to need a free handout. But I guess it worked to promote buying the 3 available sequels by giving one away....so it makes some sense there.

Or, predictively, games like Fallout 76 will be given away to keep the player base from turning into the wasteland scenery. Sorry Redd....that one's not going away.

NEStalgia

RR529

Just watched the credits roll in Yakuza Kiwami! I had a really great time with it. Sure, I think the combat was a little rough around the edges at times, and that car chase segment can bite me, but overall it was really good.

I liked that the world felt very intimate & despite not being large in size, was packed full of things to do (Pocket Circuit, Mesu King, Darts, Billiards, and the Batting Cages were my favorites), and the story was very interesting with lots of twists.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

I mean, it obviously depends on the genre, but games can be linear while still offering some degree of design openness. The word "linear" can mean a lot of things, and I do think it's OK to use it as a pejorative when you're referring to an experience that feels, well, automated, like you're on rails. That's OK if I'm playing Sin and Punishment or something, but with RPGs, platformers, etc. this can really harm the appeal of the experience. It's like the difference between older Final Fantasy games and XIII. Both are "linear" experiences, but the older games in the series give you some level of freedom and agency about how you'll progress, and just crafted the world map and available traversal methods to funnel you down a narrative route.

This youtube video is great on this issue:

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic