Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 16,083

Gamer83

@shingi_70

Baseball isn't a niche sport, but the MLB games have generally not been huge sellers. Don't think any of them have ever broken 1 mil in sales. Maybe 'niche' was the wrong word but it's not a game that I think gives Sony a huge edge over the competition like I've seen some people suggest. Certainly not a Titanfall-like difference maker.

Also, I think a balance of new and known IPs is a good thing. PS3 had Heavenly Sword and Uncharted in 2007, it also had Ratchet & Clank. I think Uncharted 4 is absolutely needed for this year, maybe I'm in the minority on that but wouldn't be the first time. Given that series pedigree it seems set up to impress more than something like The Order will. And yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with ports if this was the middle of the gen and you're padding out slow periods like June, July or mid-December after all the big fall releases have hit. I'm probably a bit harsher on indie games than I should be because in truth I've played a good number that I like but for a $400 home console I don't think they should be the top games. But again, it's all a matter of personal preference and I'll admit maybe I need to adjust my expectations a bit more with the changing nature of the industry. It's just a bit frustrating for me because I can't lie I'm a big fan of the 'AAA blockbusters.'

@Jaz007
That's great that you seem very happy with your purchase. Unfortunately I have a tendency to get a bit more anxious than others. Even if it's just announcements of games a ways off it would go a long way to easy some of my concerns a little bit. Like I said, I thought PS3 took a good long while to really become worth it, but given that PSone and 2 were, imo, good after the initial 6-8 months, I was hoping PS4 would fall more in line with that. I can wait for the next-gen exclusives I just want to know they're coming relatively soon. I will say the news about Batman today has put me in a very good mood. Next-gen only, Batmobile and Rocksteady back at the forefront. This should be great.

Gamer83

Tasuki

@Gamer83: I too understand where you are coming from, I am a little annoyed with the current line up but I will give credit that some of the PSN games for the PS4 are great and make it up a bit of the drought for me. I mean I am enjoying the hell out of Strider and I enjoyed Resogun but yeah if that was all that was to offer I would be disappointed with the PS4. Now this time next year if this is the case I will be upset.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RancidVomit86

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Gamer83 - I can't blame you for being upset, but I really hope this has taught you to never buy a console in its first year ever again. It's just not a good idea.

The rule I decided to start following myself. It's a good rule to stick to. Library is already built up and kinks worked out by that point.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Jaz007

I have no regrets regarding getting a PS4 at launch, however, looking at my Wii U, I do wonder if getting that at launch was the best idea sometimes.

Jaz007

Phatosaurus

Jaz007 wrote:

I have no regrets regarding getting a PS4 at launch, however, looking at my Wii U, I do wonder if getting that at launch was the best idea sometimes.

I don't regret either console. My only regret is buying Knack, Battlefield 4 and Tomb Raider for the PS4. Awful, broken games, all of them.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

Tasuki

Jaz007 wrote:

I feel the same way. Honestly besides eShop games the only games I played I haven't really touched my Wii U. I did have a few games like Lego City, Assassin's Creed III and MH3U but I have traded them in since finishing them. I did finally get SM3DW but right now my Wii U is packed away cause I am moving. Still nothing really has made me feel that buying the Wii U at launch was a great idea. I mean yeah MK8 is coming out but still if I just bought the Wii U say today I wouldn't have missed much.

The PS4 however I am loving it since I got it it my most used console.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Gamer83

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Gamer83 - I can't blame you for being upset, but I really hope this has taught you to never buy a console in its first year ever again. It's just not a good idea.

The thing is PSone, 2 and even PSP and Vita offered enough right away, imo, that I thought PS4 would be the same and PS3 was more an exception to the rule. I'm definitely going to go about things differently in the future though. It's either that or develop more patience. At this point in my life, the latter probably isn't an option.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

CanisWolfred

Gamer83 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

The thing is PSone, 2 and even PSP and Vita offered enough right away, imo, that I thought PS4 would be the same and PS3 was more an exception to the rule. I'm definitely going to go about things differently in the future though. It's either that or develop more patience. At this point in my life, the latter probably isn't an option.

...like what??? The PSP I'll give you launched with some great games, but then its output declined immediately and we didn't see good games for months. The PS2 went pretty much a whole year or so with hardly any good games, selling on promise and its DVD functionality alone until the output finally caught up, and developers learned to deal with its crappy architecture. The PSOne faired the best in comparison, but it still didn't have much until Final Fantasy VII hit 2 years into its lifecycle...seriously, either you had far lower standards back then, or you seriously don't remember how bad things were for the first few months of virtually any console post-16-bit...and you know why things are always so bad (and getting worse by the generation)? Because games these days are bigger and take longer to develop! So why are you expecting the big games to be out already? (or even announced, seriously)

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gamer83

CanisWolfred wrote:

Gamer83 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

...like what??? The PSP I'll give you launched with some great games, but then its output declined immediately and we didn't see good games for months. The PS2 went pretty much a whole year or so with hardly any good games, selling on promise and its DVD functionality alone until the output finally caught up, and developers learned to deal with its crappy architecture. The PSOne faired the best in comparison, but it still didn't have much until Final Fantasy VII hit 2 years into its lifecycle...seriously, either you had far lower standards back then, or you seriously don't remember how bad things were for the first few months of virtually any console post-16-bit...and you know why things are always so bad (and getting worse by the generation)? Because games these days are bigger and take longer to develop! So why are you expecting the big games to be out already? (or even announced, seriously)

I was younger when PSone came out and I didn't own the console myself but I remember its first year seeming pretty decent, but maybe I'm wrong. The PS2 had GT 3, Twisted Metal: Black, MGS 2, GTA III, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 2 and Final Fantasy X all within the first year and those games were well regarded. Even MGS 2 got mostly positive feedback initially even if people look back now and say it wasn't a good game. PS3 wasn't quite as strong but did have some good stuff. Ratchet & Clank, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Motorstorm. PS4 could match the PS3 but I need to see what's actually coming out this year before saying that. The Order isn't a guarantee by any stretch and Uncharted will almost certainly miss this year. That said, it would be wrong to dismiss multiplats, Batman Arkham Knight is nice announcement and if it makes 2014 that certainly helps the lineup. Same with The Witcher 3 but neither of those are etched in stone. If those actually release in 2014, if a miracle happens and DriveClub is good, if The Order comes out this year, my outlook changes a little bit but there's a lot of ifs.

Gamer83

shingi_70

Why do you say a micrale like you expect drive club to be bad. I mean no wonder your upset if your going in with a negative attitude.

Pizeljjnk shooter ultimate coming to PS4/Vita probably the fifth of sixth PS3 port. Stillcsmart move from sony.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Ralizah

Gamer83 wrote:

Even MGS 2 got mostly positive feedback initially even if people look back now and say it wasn't a good game.

The hype for that game was so strong that it even drove some strong-ish sales for Zone of the Enders, due to it coming with demo for MGS2. Anyway, MGS 2 was and still is a very strong game, even if the story was postmodernist twaddle and a bait and switch early in the game traded the awesome Solid Snake for some whiny twink.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

shingi_70

Trailer for for SOMA the game by the Amnesia Dark Descent games

Looking forward to it since it has more of a Sci-fi blend.

New Killzone expansion coming soon.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

shingi_70

Foul Play is coming to PS4/Vita.

going through the list and the PS4 has a decent selction of games amassed already

Angry Birds Star Wars
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag
Assassins Creed Freedom Cry
Awesmenauts assemble
Basement Crawl
Battlefield IV
Blacklight retribution
Call of Duty Ghosts
Contrast
DC Universe Online
doki doki universe
don't starve
Dead Nation
Escape Plan
Fifa 14
Flower
Flow
Injustice
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Lego Marvel
Lego Movie
Madden 25
NBA 2k14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed
Outlast
Rayman Legends
Resogun
Sound Shapes
Strider
Super Motherload
Thief
Trine 2
Tiny Brains
Tomb Raider
Pinball arcade
Warframe
Zen Pinball 2

WAT!

Gamer83

banacheck wrote:

Watch Dogs Offical Release Date 27/5/2014.

Don't know what to think. On the one hand, I've been disappointed with each successive showing of this game after its initial reveal. On the other, there is a lot of potential here and I think the story and gameplay both seem pretty cool. I'm going to give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt and buy the game because I was initially unimpressed when I heard Assassin's Creed IV was being made and I ended up really liking that game. It's a different development team for Watch Dogs, of course, but games from Ubisoft are usually pretty good imo so hopefully this ends up being a great game and something to close out the first half of the year on a high note.

Gamer83

Blast

The story for Watch Dogs sounds like your typical revenge story... we'll see how it plays out.
Oh...
and did any of you catch IGN's huge livestream of Infamous: SS's gameplay and story?

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

shingi_70

Watched it an hour ago. Out of the big games between now and E3 its the one I'm anticipating the most.

The visuals of that game are crazy good to be a game so early out from launch. The neon power looks so much better in motion from a player and NPC perspective than the trailer deubuting it showed. The wait till the summer to play his will be hard.

Next big first party game after infamous is MLB in may.

Really hoping so by has some big annoucments come E3. Maybe a tease at Quantic Dreams next project which is hopefully episodic.

WAT!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic