Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 10,961 to 10,980 of 16,083

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy You're late to the party boy.

It didn't appeal to me at all based on just the footage and reviews, so I wasn't in a rush to get it.

That's quite a common issue with me though. I'm very visually prejudiced with games. I had no interest in playing the original Mass Effect or Witcher series for quite a few years. Then I finally forced myself to play them and they end up being 2 of my all time favourite series. (the opposite has obviously happened too, where my initial prejudice ended up being a good guide)

I'm only about 4 hours in but I'm 90% sure this will fall into the former category because it's hitting all the right notes already.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@Dezzy I might have to give it a shot at some point, as my feelings are roughly the same as yours (watched footage and reviews, and... bleh).

RE: The Witcher, I keep wondering whether I should play the first two, which I already own. But they look SO clunky. Are they worth trudging through?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

I've only played a bit of Witcher 1 so I'm mostly talking about Witcher 2 and 3.
Witcher 1 is very clunky. Witcher 2 isn't though. 2 is nearly as smooth as 3. The main difference just being the lack of an open world. It's also a bit different in its tone and general vibe. Witcher 3 feels like it went through a bit of a Tolkien-ization to better adapt it to the mass market, whereas Witcher 2 still feels very niche and unorthodox. Like you can tell by playing it that it wasn't made in one of the countries that produces most of the other games you play. It has what I call the "definitely not made in California" vibe.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Yeah, the same happened with me and The Witcher. I ignored it at first, but decided to give it a go anyway. Ended up as one of my favourite games of this gen. Good to know you're enjoying God of War though.

@Ralizah I'd only recommend TW1 if you want more Witcher lore. But you may as well read the books, since they compliment CDPR's writing style really well (or the other way around, depending on your point of view). But even then, Thronebreaker offers just as much in terms of narrative, and it is a more fun experience than the first Witcher.

Octane

RR529

So I take it, in DQXI, that later on you can get more control of when your characters are pepped up (or at least increase the rate at which it happens)?

There's a sidequest I have going now where I have to use a specific pep power (super team based moves) against one of the dragon enemies in the desert, but it's currently statistically unlikely that all three characters I need to be pepped up will happen to be so at the same time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

NEStalgia

Among you psvr owners, do you leave your psvr coprocessor box and hmd permanently hooked up, or disconnect it when playing normal games? With a fan, it seems like it is eating the life of the vr parts to leave then always connected, but otoh, if i have to climb behind the console and rewire the hdmi connections every time i use vr, I'll probably end up never actually using it. Unfortunately the passthrough only works if the coprocessor box is powered on, do it's either always on when using ps4 it always physically cable swapped on the hdmi every time you use it.

Also, any recommendations on headphones? Been using those bionic ones that stay in the headset but the sound is pretty awful from those. Not really immersive at all. Earbuds don't really do it for me..a bit too much isolation from the world around me, plus I'm not a fan of in ear buds anymore.... i have some really high end ones (or as high end as non customs go) that i never feel comfortable using these days.)

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Yeah, I just leave it in. Taking the cables out and putting them back in is also a strain on the connection ports, so I don't think it really matters for durability in long run. I'm much more worried if they go with a wireless headset next gen. It seems like everyone wants it, but it sounds like a terrible idea to me!

No recommendations regarding headphones. I'm using the ones that came with the headset. I'm not sure how it works with a regular headphone. It needs to be quite wide I presume. I would love to get some recommendations myself as well.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane yeah, i mean fan wear/dirt is probably an issue, but hdmi jacks in the ps4 and box aren't meant for frequent disconnect either.

I'm sure if they're sticking with vr next gen (50/50 atm id guess) they go with the box components built in rather than the odd after thought. Much as even i want wireless, i don't think the tech is there. 120fps dual 1080p min would cripple even Miracast which is the best there is and spotty at best. And hmd power requirements would need to be incredibly low to handle a light enough battery. If Oculus isn't even bothering with wireless, i don't think Sony can do it at their price.

Headphones: there's always the default Sony gold and platinum, but they're expensive for the level of audio i hear you get. Plus Sony headphones are never good in general and always overpriced (excluding their pro audio lines like the mdr7xxx you see hanging on every studio wall.... Those monitors are painfully accurate if a bit sibilant... Not what you'd want for gaming though... And they don't fit the hmd.). Turtle Beach makes a vr set... Looks ok... Cheap... i bet they sound cheap too but at least they're half Sony's price. Plantronics made one too but it looks discontinued. Available but I'm never sure about getting into discontinued things. Wonder what the Oculus crowd is using?

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Let's not forget about the battery that's stuck to your head. Not just the idea of a Li-ion battery strapped to your head while you're completely immersed in a game. But also the added weight, the worry about battery life, or just the battery dying and not being able to replace them. I'm certain a cable is much cheaper too.

How do their headsets work with PSVR? Can you plug it into the console itself, or does it need to go through the headset itself?

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane will, the lithium battery in the head isn't so unique considering nearly all modern wireless headphones, iems and hands free ear pieces do the same... Though the vr once would arguably be larger and heavier. I think vr ultimately does need to be wireless to modernize and go more mainstream....i just don't think the tech to do it reliably without making it even heavier (and even then...) Exists, it will exist for a while. That's a lot of bandwidth that must not falter even momentarily. Audio alone would consume most of it.

The sony, turtle, and Plantronics headsets for vr all fit over the psvr visor and have cables for psvr. You have to plug them all into the visor (or breakout cable if using the old model psvr). Can't run them off the console since 3d audio is processed in the vr box. The sony cans support "3d audio" in like 3 non vr games, but all vr games support it.... They intentionally are ambiguous about if you need their headphones for vr 3d sound, but i believe the answer is no, the vr box has the same decoder. The sony cans big feature is wireless audio for normal games.... But that can't be used for vr games. If they were Superior build it audio if justify it, but most reviews are harsh on the build quality, and so so on audio.

NEStalgia

Sadist

Well Until Dawn escalated quickly

Like, welp.

I was expecting a twist, but not that twist.

Sadist

Ralizah

@Sadist Until Dawn is a very twisty game, so I'm not even sure which twist you're referring to.

Does it, perhaps, involve a saw and lots of blood?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Sadist

@Ralizah

Nah I’ve reached the end;

So the whole Wendigo thing was pretty weird. It was the supernatural twist I was expecting; but yikes, the whole Sanitorium is pretty cool too.

Sadist

Malcrash

I need to play Until Dawn sometime, hearing it's an actual good interactive film despite it looking like a campy slasher.

Malcrash

Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Woke up yesterday morning with the idea to rent Red Dead Redemption II from Redbox, figuring I could blow through the main campaign in a few days, since I knew Rockstar's games are fairly linear, and I probably wouldn't want to go back and mess around much with the open world, since I'm pretty much over the whole concept, and I don't find the world they crafted inherently interesting.

...then I found out it was 2 discs, and naturally, the only redbox near enough for me to venture to and back only has Disc 1 available. I feel sorry for whoever rented the data disc thinking they'd get to rent a game for a measly $0.15 per day.

So, now it's the waiting game. I've still got enough time to myself this holiday season that if it shows up by tomorrow, I could still try to blow through it in less than 3 days. In the meantime, every youtube video I've watched for like, a week has had RDR2 footage in the backround.

...and the world actually seems cooler than I thought, and if the excessive animations are there to add a sense of realism and slow the pace down in a deliberate manner, maybe I'd be better off just taking my time and soaking up the world? I mean, the cowboy fantasy may not be inherently interesting to me, but neither did the whole gangster thing in GTA5, but I still got into it once I put myself in the right mindset and just embraced the lavish world it presented. Heck, even if I take ~6 days to play it, I'd still be saving money versus picking it up half off a few years down the road.

And now that I think about it, while the writing seems better than ever, my biggest problems with Rockstar's games were related to the rigid mission structure that just felt antithetical to the open-world design the rest of the game employs, often punishing you for trying to approach missions from more creative angles. The story might be good, but I could always watch someone else play and get the exact same story. I may as well just draw on the game's main strength and enjoy the intricate world they've slaved over for years.

Sure, that'll probably mean watching the same excessively detailed and realistic animations over and over and over and over and over and over again ad nauseum until I return the game, but for $3 a day, it might not be so bad. I mean, I've literally put up with worse in the form of Warframe for the past 8 months. Surely a little repetition and wasted time shouldn't impede my experience too much, even if it also means combat is sluggish, and doesn't really have as much variety as I would like. I guess I could just...not spend a lot of time shooting people? I roleplay as the nice guy in these games anyways.

...wait, how big is the file size???

99+ GB?! 2+ hours of installs + updates?!?! Probably have to delete a game or 3???

....on second thought, I don't think it's worth it. I'll just appreciate RDR2 from afar. Have a nice day, y'all.

And now you all know my priorities.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

GrailUK

@Cobalt Man, why the hell can't you just say that on Switch news instead of drawing inane reasons why it doesn't count. Bah to you sir.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

1UP_MARIO

It’s the beast of this gen. well done Sony.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

MsJubilee

Just recently beat Fallout 4. What a terrible game, i don't know why i bought and beaten it twice, i knew damn well i was gonna hate it. Waste of money and time, but anyway Fallout 4 is a technical, repetitive, disappointing and buggy mess. After playing this and 76, i have no faith in the next Skyrim or any other game that comes out of Bethesda Game Studios.

Obsidian please, please give us Fallout fans some hope.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

funnyman420

Thinking about getting STEEP - is it any good?

shut

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic