Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 10,681 to 10,700 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@Ralizah What the...I mean...why....where....like...what........I can't even......

They have officially brutalized Farcry beyond repair. This looks worse than Malaria. Not hyperbole, I mean, literally.....I thought Malaria: The Game was the low point of the series, but it's not. To think this was a series that started with zombie werewolf beast things in labs on an island.

On a positive note, the chapels look like the FC5 chapels, and there's a US flag in there. Maybe this is just a DLC/side-story-alt timeline for FC5 and not actually an attempt at FC6. Though I think I'd rather have dinner with Pagan Min than play this.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Lol that's the most obvious "lets try and stoke controversy to make people aware of the game" cover I've ever seen.

They did that incredibly successfully with the last game. A lot of people thought the game would be attacking redneck religious types based on the cover. There was even a very suspicious petition that arose calling to cancel the game based on the cover alone (it was suspicious because no-one knew exactly where it came from, it only got about 2000 signatures despite getting a lot of media coverage, and it used really weird language like "miscegenation" that almost no-one uses). But then the actual game was completely uncontroversial. If anything it was kinda pro-redneck.

So that's different than Battlefield V. I think they actually know what their audience wants but they're trying to just generate noise amongst everyone else. Whereas Dice genuinely seemed to think that a legion of 13 year old girls would be buying a military shooter (I bet you my life savings that didn't happen, peoples tastes are not that malleable).

So my prediction is that the game itself will be completely uncontroversial.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

Well, I think Ubisoft thinks Far Cry is like South Park, a franchise for social commentary and controversy. So it isn't a surprise really. I mean, I'll give them that, this cover is perfect for controversy. From the letters in bright pink, to the broken windscreen. It perfectly conveys what it supposed to convey; I think I actually kinda like it because of that.

@Dezzy What's a miscegenation?

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

"Scientific" term for interracial reproduction.

That's why it seemed fake. There are only about 100 young people in the western world who care about things like that (and it's not clear what that had to do with the cover). The petition also blamed video game developers for gamers inability to attract women.

It just had 'parody of what dumb rednecks think' written all over it. My guess is that it was started by someone at Ubisoft purely to generate controversy. Which is what it did. Lots of media reported on it. As long as you follow it up with a game the audience actually likes, this sort of controversy doesn't hurt you at all.

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

@Dezzy Well, going by the other Far Cry box arts that tend to heavily feature the bad guys, there's a good chance you'll be playing as the guy tied up to the car, and the two girls in front are the villains. This is just for controversy points. It gets the clicks and views.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Very likely. Or it'll just be a character creator and that cover will have almost nothing to do with anything.
I definitely think they know what they're doing and understand what their audience likes a lot more than Dice does.
The fact that they even "announce" the game cover way before showing any gameplay is pretty telling. If they showed gameplay straight after, people would forget the cover immediately.

Edit: lol they showed gameplay straight after I wrote this. You were right about those 2 being the villains though. The game looks almost identical to Rage 2.

Edited on by Dezzy

redd214

Got into the Anthem alpha, super excited to check it out this weekend!

redd214

TuVictus

It's EA so I'm still extremely cautious but I do admit the trailer was interesting, though it felt like a destiny trailer as well

TuVictus

MsJubilee

Ubisoft is woke with those terrible villains. GG

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Dezzy

Was that a Dragon Age 4 teaser we got from Bioware?

They didn't even say the name of the game.

TuVictus

@Dezzy yeah, at least, bf said it had something to do with dragon age 2? Never played so I can't say for certain.

I'm super glad God of War won game of the year over RDR2, I was worried the awards would be too predictable. Also that obsidian game announcement feels like a very very subtle passive aggressive dig at Bethesda.

"from the original creators of fallout" haha

TuVictus

Dezzy

@PikPi

I'm not sure that was a dig at Bethesda. I think it's just a factually accurate statement.

TuVictus

@Dezzy lol yeah I know. Though I'm not the only one who interpreted it that way. So intentional or not, it's funny timing.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@Dezzy True, though FC5 is about blowing stuff up in redneck country. It has a fun element to it (though the main enemy is too disturbing/real to enjoy. Min was a funny nutjob. "Father" is just a dangerous nutjob, no humor attached. There's a lot that's cool about FC5, but they got the theme/characters all wrong, lost the sense of zany despite crazy with it's villains and themes, and tried to go serious hostage crisis. Like mixing Tom Clancy and Far Cry....not a good mix. (fortunately the rest of the game is fine.)

But this...it's not just the controversial cover....the very concept of the game just sounds terrible, like they expected Fallout76 would be a resounding success and already had their "me too" (not #metoo) game in the works to ride the coat tails of it. Which Ubisoft does a lot. Except Fallout76 is a disaster, and this just lands in the middle of the fallout (pun only half intended.)

@PikPi Oohhh, Obsidian announced something? Is it one last multiplat voyage, or is that their first XBox exclusive? The "From the original creators of Fallout" part is really interesting....both clawing their identity from Bethesda's squandering it, but also...the actual original creator was Brian Fargo...at inExile....and co-created by Feargus. MS clarified that they will keep inExile and Obsidian separate despite their shared history....but.....if it's "the original creators" it makes me think (happily) they're playing loose with the dividers between Brian and Feargus already....

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Dezzy Fallout was sold to Bethesda by prior owner Interplay/Black Isle Studios (Brian Fargo's company before, but it was hostilly overtaken by investors which is what led to his exile and the sale of Fallout and Bioware and Volition running adrift.) . inExile (Brian Fargo) released Wasteland 2 and never made a peep about the Fallout brand, even though Fallout 1 was actually Wasteland 2 (making Wasteland 2 the real Fallout 3....or Wasteland 4 depending on how you think about it.) The fact they chose now to start throwing around the Fallout name at Obsidian/inExile?/MS despite having no claim or association to it other than New Vegas? Yeah...that's a dig at Bethesda.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

This Farcry looks more like they needed to reuse the assets from FC5 so came up with the easiest way of doing that.
It looks like Rage 2 but about a century earlier.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy The bigger question is why they need a Farcry game every 10 months suddenly? I keep think it's a pseudo DLC thing....like Primal that's more spinoff than actual FC game. They reused a heck of a lot from 5 to the point that it's mostly an FC5 mod.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Dezzy @Ralizah @Octane so ubi sent emails... The new farcry is indeed a continuation story from fc5 so its more like a full price stand alone dlc than a true new fc. I can sleep better now.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia it's "budget" priced it's only $40 seems a bit more reasonable there

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic