Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 10,661 to 10,680 of 16,083

Octane

@Dezzy There's always going to be some kind of price attached to it. They're two HD screens, a processing unit, the headset itself. All of that for around €100 if you take away the games and the camera. It's not that bad. The problem with VR is that it's not something you can throw into the box with a console as a standard bundle. It'll jank the price up too much. And as a separate, optional purchase, it means it will always be a bit niche.

I think PSVR is approaching 5 million. Maybe a little more at this point. Hopefully enough to take off a little bigger next gen.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

The last announcement I saw was 3 million in July:
https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/16/sony-psvr-sales-3-million/

Obviously it's gotta cost something. I don't know what kind of profit they're getting on that. I do think the price is main cause of the low sales though. They should just sacrifice the profit on it for the sake of increasing install base.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Yeah, 3 million by July, but the price cut and Black Friday sales caused a big interest in the device. It did 3 million is 1.5 years, so another million since July is about what you'd expect, coupled with holiday sales and the price cut, I can see it being closer to 5 million.

People have done teardowns of the device and have come to the conclusion that they're probably taking a loss on the €199 bundle all things considered. If they build the PS5 with VR in mind and include the processing unit within the system, it could lower the price of a new VR unit slightly I think. However, people pay €70 for a controller these days, so a €50 camera, two games and what's left for the VR unit itself isn't all that expensive.

I agree that the €400 launch price was on the high end, and IIRC that one didn't come with any of the extras. The current bundle is a fine asking price IMO. If it also came with the Move controllers it would be a steal.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

So what does the processing unit do? I assumed that was all handled by the regular console.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy It doesn't add any ''processing power'' as was initially assumed. But it does translate the output image into something that's presentable as a VR image. Essentially taking some load off the main console, so it can focus on just running game. Since the PS4 wasn't made with VR in mind, that would've probably eaten up a reasonable chunk of the processing power, with a lower quality image as the result if everything was handled by the PS4 itself. PSVR also requires a double HDMI connection; the wire splits at the end and there are two HDMI plugs which go into the little PSVR box. TV output is also regulated via the little box, it's essentially a workaround because the PS4 hardware wasn't made with PSVR in mind.

Octane

Ralizah

Oculus and Vive are tremendous, but they're also way too expensive and inaccessible for normal people, who mostly haven't even tried it. Heck, I'm an enthusiast, and I haven't even tried it. The only way VR is going to take off is if it goes mainstream, and Sony's increasingly good sales on PSVR seem to be helping that along.

It'll raise the price, but I really hope PS5 is built with VR functionality in mind.

diwdiws wrote:

@MsJubilee fair enough but you could probably also apply the same to some great games like Okami, zelda games like the twilight princess, BOTW, red dead redemption, gta 5, heck even dark souls will turn some people of in the beginning

True enough. Especially Twilight Princess, which, yes, really needs time to get good. Too much time, imo, but I am glad, in the end, that I got to experience it.

With that said, I've played Uncharted 1 - 4 and TLOU, and I don't think they're going to find TLOU tremendously more compelling in five hours than they do right now. I know I didn't. With Naughty Dog games, what you see is what you get, and so if the gameplay and characters don't do it for you in the beginning, that's probably going to remain the case throughout the game.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Jimez

Bought the WipeOut Omega collection in the latest PS Store sale, havn't played WipeOut properly since 2048 on the Vita.

Jimez

Octane

@Ralizah To be fair, it really depends on how much they've played. If it's just the prologue, or the first hour, I'd encourage you to play a little more. I agree that five hours is plenty for The Last of Us. If you're not even remotely interested in continuing the game, it's probably not for you.

Funny how @diwdiws mentioned Breath of the Wild, because I actually loved the beginning of the game. It had the opposite effect on me.

@Ralizah On the topic of VR, I do think that it's reasonable for them to include the little PSVR box in their next system, or just built it with VR in mind.

It should also remove a bunch of cables from the set-up. I know some people really want a wireless VR device, but then you get to worry about the internal battery while you're playing. Having the extra weight strapped onto your head, batteries running dry, etc. I'm not a fan of that idea.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Well, sure. The game doesn't even really start until the third hour or so. It's all set-up until that point. Which, to be honest, is when the game is at its best. But once you get into the game with Ellie, and you're running around stealth killing mooks and dragging planks and boxes everywhere, you've pretty much seen what the game has to offer. It's not one of those "it gets better" sort of games like TP, that's for sure.

On VR: how long are the cables? I'm still interested in PSVR, but I also want to be able to sit on my couch while I play it.

Octane

@Ralizah Well, do you find new weapons throughout your journey. So you are introduced to new things once in a while. And the game isn't too long, so I personally don't feel it drags on for too long. Of course, I do think that the narrative is important for ND games. If you can't get into the story, it's a lot more difficult to get into the game itself. That's always the worry I have. If TLOU2's story doesn't appeal to me, I can see myself not liking the game as much. And with Neil Druckmann behind the wheel, that's a big worry.

The cables are definitely longer than 4 metres, I'd guess around 4.5 to 5 metres, so about 15 or 16 feet.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane That sounds perfect!

I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on VR equipment to play Tetris, even though I really want to play Tetris in VR. If I ever get it, I'm already planning on playing Resident Evil 7 once I acclimate to the technology (it has been suggested that making Resi 7 my first VR game is a good way to feel sick very quickly). Astro Bot and Moss will likely both be purchases as well. And Summer Lesson, of course.

It's a true pity Konami will never update P.T. to work with VR. It's pretty much the perfect game for VR. It's terrifying on the TV, so I can't imagine what it's like with a headset on.

Maybe something else interesting will release by the time Sony discounts those bundles to $200 again.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Yeah, Astro Bot is great, and the biggest compliment I could give is that it feels like a game Nintendo EAD developed for VR. It's not just a good platformer in VR, but it has unique boss fights, unique environments, none of it is the standard we've come to expect. And I really like how it involves you as a player. The Dualshock is visible in VR, and instead of collecting power ups as Astro Bot, the power ups you find are attachments for the controller. And having something you hold in your hands be visible in VR also helps with the immersion I think.

I'm definitely getting Moss at some point. I got RIGS really cheap, I have a bunch of free demos, and The Last Guardian VR demo is pretty neat as well, even though it only lasts about 20 minutes. And I also got myself a copy of Wipeout. It would be cool if we got another AAA game that is completely playable in VR like RE7.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane if you can find the Batman game it's worthwhile, it's only an hour or show like an interactive Viewmaster slide show but it's fantastic to feel "present" in.

Moss...the best part of moss, VR-wise is the main menu in the library. It's nothing but a menu in a room, but that sold me on PSVR (After I'd already bought it )

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Dezzy The console renders effectively the interlaced image. The processing box splits the image into stereo outputs, does some additional processing to the image for final rendering, does the audio surround processing, and of course handles synchronizing it, and the actual headset/tracker handling.

Occulus is kind of a nerd toy joke. Sure it's great. It's a Ferrari of video game toys, like a NeoGeo back in the 90's. If you've got the coin to spend on a limited headset that will probably be obsoleted every other year, and the mega-rig to run it, you're either the uber hardcore, or aren't into games to begin with. Nobody buys that except for people with a lot of spare change and and a deep love of games/gadgets. Not exactly the mainstream. And Facebook I think wanted it to revolutionize video socializing but ran into enough other problems of their own in the mean-time.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

Cover art for the new Far Cry leaked.

Untitled

Oh dear.

Edited on by Ralizah

TuVictus

Haha, this will be fun to watch

TuVictus

Octane

Battlefield V all over again, innit?