Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 10,301 to 10,320 of 16,084

Ralizah

A question the NL masses broadly.

I'm going to start a AAA open world game soon. It'll either be The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt or Red Dead Redemption 2. Which one should I choose?

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

TuVictus

@NEStalgia lol yeah, I guess I just find it surprising that MH's systems are so popular.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@Ralizah The revolt will be against those companies largely. They're the actual government in western society. Fascism given form (the actual Fascism, of the colloquial name Mussolini came up with, not the thousand redefined meanings of structure.) Those disenfranchised people will become less and less reliant on that system because they will increasingly be removed from it. I think people too often assume "oh that can't happen, people depend on the status quo!" But that, again, assumes no catalyst occurs. WWI was symmetrical, but everyone was looking for an excuse to start it. This automated future looks set to create two distinct publics. The bottom one will not be content living in group housing and eating meal rations forever. Even if there's merely a generation of martyrs, it will not be pretty. I hear Caracas is lovely this time of year if you're interested in a teaser trailer.

Which to start....hmmm....well...I haven't completed either game, but I'd say Witcher is more "traditional". RDR is more of an "interactive entertainment experience" more than a pure video game. How much do you want to fumble with controls though?

@PikPi "Popular" is probably the wrong word for MH Outside Japan anyway. Yeah, World sold a a lot. But games sell on hype and not much was out in February. It's Nintendo-popular though!

NEStalgia

redd214

Well this thread got uhhh.... Interesting lol

redd214

TuVictus

Hardware mockups are always fun to look at. They tend to over think the designs lol

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

CanisWolfred

@NEStalgia I liked the cast from Reach. :/ Maybe that's because it's the freshest in my mind. ODST didn't put its characters in the forefront, though, which always felt odd to me. I barely remember it had characters at all.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

Lol there's censorship in some PS4 games........civil war.

Seriously though the fact that one party in the US has overwhelming dominance of the media and communications platforms but the other party has overwhelming control of guns, the military and the police IS a rather worrying state of affairs. You don't have that kind of division in most of europe.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

@Cobalt

Wow. My prediction had been 20 million in its lifetime sales. Not in 2 weeks.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

I don't mind censorship. I mind inconsistent censorship. A standard is fine. A different standard applied differently to different people is not.

My thoughts exactly. That's one of the main problems with censorship. It's so often used as a smokescreen for someone in power to just cynically push their own perspectives whilst claiming they're really interested in decency and reasonableness.
Whenever you have rules that are defined vaguely, you nearly always get these kinds of inconsistent standards.
When the rules are clearly defined ahead of time, like when american TV regulations say that you can't say F**K, people are generally fine with that. It's clearly defined and you can see that it's being applied consistently.

Octane

@Ralizah Yeah, I just saw the article. That's pretty bad IMO. I definitely understand the point about the depiction of underage girls in some of those games. Like, where do you draw the line? But at the same time I have little to no knowledge about them, and I cannot assume they are all like that. It's definitely something that's more acceptable in Japan than it is over here. And on top of that, we have no issue with violence in video games; killing is perfectly acceptable. Which is a little weird.

Ralizah wrote:

I'm going to start a AAA open world game soon. It'll either be The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt or Red Dead Redemption 2. Which one should I choose?

I haven't played RDR2 yet, but I've heard the controls are quite cumbersome. There's a bunch of unpatched glitches and bugs in the game that aren't just minor bugs. I'd say play TW3 now, and try RDR2 in a couple of months from now when everything is patched. I don't know about any DLC plans, but maybe there will be a complete edition by that point?

Octane

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

If you play Witcher 3 now, by the time you've finished it, Red Dead 2 will be half the price.

diwdiws

@NEStalgia did they, im just basing this on the reveal video bear in mind but in the video they were clear that its an open world game focused on multiplayer coop with some rpg elements. In the reveal video they weren’t hyping it up as a “bioware rpg” like mass effect. They even focused on mock conversations and chatter between the players

diwdiws

diwdiws

@Octane you could actually tweak the settings to radically improve the sluggish controls. Max the look acceleration, increase look sensitivity and if you want you can change the controls to traditional fps layout

diwdiws

CanisWolfred

@diwdiws Even with all those changes, the main character is overly animated, so to speak, making even small movements take longer than they should. It might be relatively minor, but it's worth noting, since it's a problem unique to Rockstar games...for better or for worse, they're perchant for detail borders on obsessive, and we get to take in every last detail, even when we're moving our characters just a little to left so we can buy from a vendor.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

@diwdiws What @CanisWolfred was saying; but from what I've heard, there's also an issue with button mapping. Some simple things require complicated button combinations, but pulling your gun out in public and talking to an NPC are apparently the same button.

And there's the camp glitch. I'll wait until they've sorted everything out. And if there's going to be DLC, there will be a complete edition for sure. I can wait!

Octane

NEStalgia

@Dezzy One party has control of influence, media, communications, education, police, the legal system, finance, much of the medical system, agriculture, science, and thus public group think. The other party has control of the military and commodity industries, traditional manufacturing/heavy industry, and the dominant (but impotent) religion(s). That, politically, is the core imbalance. It's more or less one party rule, like any authoritarian country. We just make a show of it where China doesn't, like post-Glasnost CCCP. The second party gains its power not as an opposition party, but by whichever can put up a political-theater show of minimal opposition while actually acting in step with the primary party, with the actual opposition members able to, at best, stall the primary party for a few years without making actual changes long term. You can see the schism clearly with "Net Neutrality". Party A works in service of big media, big data, tech corps. Party B works in service of big telecom/utility. Neither party represents the public, nor differing ideas, they're each just under retainer for opposing corporations. That's why every election they trot out "the issues", the repeating, unresolvable pre-selected list of hot button topics to create visible differences between parties and candidates. It's easy for them to take polarizing stands on those social controversies without needing to demonstrate actual policy intent differences, because there effectively are none.

That's at the actual governmental/political level. The problematic portion is among the public, where unlike the politicians, there really are two, I'd say three dramatically different cultures, with dramatically different personality types between them, with entirely incompatible objectives, effectively entirely different civilizations that aren't cleanly divided by geography but by way of life. Once they figure out that fighting each other via elections of pre-selected monoparty candidates is a placebo, eventually they'll start fighting each other for real.

The real politics are like console wars between XBox and PS. They're more or less the same machine with a few differences, but people fervently defend "their side" without recognizing there aren't actually two sides, it's just a different implementation of the same thing. There's two or three VERY different factions of public culture and goals, increasingly violently at war with each other, in an increasingly scorched-earth battle. But that's entirely disconnected from the actual politics of which there's almost no difference at all. That is the part that will fuel crisis: The politics aren't actually representing the divide, they just opportunistically flame it for short term gain and influence. Like a news article by Liam or Damo.

My favorite political word of the past decade or so is "managed decline." When your leaders set a goal of reducing your status, influence, and wealth as their actual long term policy intent, doesn't that make them hostile enemies?.......I mean even King George did better than that....and that still didn't end well for him....

For now it's "skirmish battles" like the ridiculous censorship and "beams of light" and the Mr. Game & Watch "scandal", while RDR2 has full on brothels with full nudity and displays of actual sex acts, and GTAV has strip clubs with virtual lap dances as save points. Heaven forbid a nipple is visible in a Japanese game. (But we're ok with #mariosnipples.) That's a culture war with an odd anti-Japanese bent for some unknown reason. Do we have to put the black drapes up now? Never know when a Zero might close in on southern Indiana? Good thing I save all my rubber bands and aluminum foil!

@diwdiws If you can find this year's E3 EA show, they had a few Bioware people at a roundtable and talked a bit more about story and highlighting that it's still an RPG, with NPC,s questing, you can play solo and it's still your story, but there's other people there in a shared world, etc. They played up heavily that it's a shared world but it's your game still. I don't believe them still, but they tried to sell that. All I see is still Destiny with mechs....but I'll hold out hope.

RDR2: You can't change the controls to traditional FPS layout. That's one of the complaints. "Traditional FPS" keeps all the weird controls and just swaps run/crouch so run is on L3 and crouch is on X. And you just can't fix that weird "aim to interact/talk" thing that dosn't work. Even if you remap your controller externally, that's still ungainly.

@Octane Yeah, the aiming thing is just so awful. @Ralizah basically you use L2 to aim your weapon. However to interact with objects including talk to NPCs, you also have to aim at them. The idea behind this sounded cool (kind of like how FFXIII-Versus sounded cool....on paper.) In real life you don't bump your chest against everyone to talk to them like in video games. You look and talk from a distance. So in RDR2, the idea was you look at people/objects to talk/interact from a distance like Z-Targeting in Ocarina. Except it doesn't lock on, it has x-ray vision, and ocarina didn't have you draw your bow when you Z-target. It's "smart" context sensitive. My two bad experiences (from the XBox thread) are: A sidequest of a broken down wagon that lost its other horse. The quest giver is talking to me. I approach. I go to aim to "talk" to him. He's still talking so I can't aim yet. So he's done and I hit R2 to aim....the game decides what I really wanted to do was draw my gun and point it at his head. He freaks out gets on his other horse and flees, ending the quest opportunity maybe forever. In the inverse, one quest has an NPC taken hostage in a chokehold. I go to aim my gun. Instead the game brings up the interact menu. It then wants me to hit R2 (the fire button!) to activate gun aiming, within which, if I hit R2 again, I fire.

The other situation was a gallows hanging (not story, just something you can stumble into.) The man hangs, the crowd leaves, the widow remains. I aim at her...but I can't interact with her. I aim at the deputy on the platform and I get the "praise/scold" dialog options. Weird. I aim at the hung man, and again get "praise/scold". Really weird. I do "study", and it now tells me the hung man is a cat. I then "study" the deputy. He is apparently also a cat. (Red Dead Red-nyamption? Arthpurr? Pawsible glitch?) After a while I realize that the "aim" feature doesn't respect visible occlusions, and since at that moment neither the deputy nor hung man had an "interact" hook tied to them, the aiming just found the next line of sight object nearby, and focused on a cat roaming in the grass behind the gallows platform where the wall blocked my view of it.

Meanwhile most of the time when I "aim" to talk from a distance, greet/provoke is grayed out until I bump chests with the target anyway.....a totally wasted mechanic that causes some problems. "Aim, then hit fire to actually aim, then hit fire again to actually fire" kind of makes hostage situations troublesome.

NEStalgia

redd214

This is pretty cool, N7 armor skin will be here in Anthem

Also any recommendations for hdds? The 500 GB in our slim is making some strange noises and I want to replace it before it becomes a bigger issue. Any help would be appreciated!

redd214

TuVictus

I was gonna make the usual cynical joke, but that's not necessary, that's a cool homage to Mass Effect. I hope the game defies my fears and ends up being a blast.

Anyone play DQXI? I've been looking for something more typical as far as JRPGs go. How does that game rank? Seems like it got no fanfare

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic