Forums

Topic: The Most Games You Were Disappointed With

Posts 101 to 113 of 113

KarrotMan

CanisWolfred wrote:

I think you mean bad level design, considering how much of a disaster that game was.

I don't think the Level design was the only problem the game had... Cough, cough, cement shoes, cough

Anyway, the Game I was most disappointed with was the first Crash Bandicoot. I really had fond memories of the first game to Warped even though I did not play it and years later after getting a PS3 I just had to get the first game. And boy did it age badly, with the lack of an analog control and odd camera angles being the major flaw. I still think this has one of the worst save features of any game I have ever played.

Glad the Second game and warp hold up well, at least my fond memories were not tarnished.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

XFsWorld

Star Fox 64 3D

3DS FC: 5413-0049-5973
3DS/WiiU ID: XFsWorld
PSN: XFsWorld

StarBoy91

signs of passion in the post

This is a continuation from my post on #100. So, what is else is in the same group as Stale Super Gold Sellout 2 and Semi-Final Fight 1.5?

Mickey's Dangerous Chase - this game was insulting to me on so many levels. It's insulting to me as a Mickey Mouse fan and an insult to me as a Disney fan. The premise is decent, and the areas look really good; but aside from that there's nothing really that good about it. The gameplay is sometimes unresponsive, the collision detection is awful, the inbetween area cutscenes are the exact same ones (with the same exact one-note dialogue which is worded differently), sometimes the translation is misleading ("Maybe we can get a ride down with that nice, friendly bird" If by that you mean a series of vultures that can damage you upon contact, then yes, they're "nice, friendly birds" all right. Dammit Mickey, you know better than to come to that conclusion). Goofy is at the end of each area long before either Mickey or Minnie reach the end,... which means that he could've stopped Pete and ended it sooner but didn't because the game said so. The structure is insultingly cheap and infuriating (a lot of the time it's due the area design while others are due to sometimes unresponsive controls and/or the bad collision detection), and the encounter with Pete requires luck in order to succeed (because you've only got a set of three hearts). But what kills the whole thing for me? The ending! The stupid, stupid, *stupid[/strong] ending! Okay, so Mickey and Minnie have just defeated Pete, so what do they do? They freakin' let him get away! All for one present, with a bird inside that somehow managed to not get suffocated even though there weren't any holes in the box to give it air! Our heroes, everybody! My God, the letdown of an ending from The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse was more tolerable than this, and that says a lot! "Produced by Capcom", my eye! Capcom develops fun, polished, and charming Disney video games, all the qualities that could've benefited this game. Kemco, shame on you for letting Capcom take the blame for this (the American version was published by them)! I didn't expect it to be great, but I didn't figure it would be so mediocre either; ugh, just thinking about this game makes me angry, urgh!

Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension (DS) - I like Phineas and Ferb, and I like the movie that this game is based on. This was a game that I bought at a game store on a whim and thought it would be at least decent. It was... at first. But then there were signs that revealed its slight lack of polish. The visuals are a mess (to its credit, so are the visuals for Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time for the PlayStation, but I understand why that is: the developers wanted to emulate the style of the shows they were based on; the PS1 wasn't up to the task at the time; the DS version looks like unpolished trash). But visuals are nothing so long as there's good gameplay right? Well, it's decently playable but oh-so repetitive! This has got to be one of the most repetitive licensed titles I've played in some time. Sometimes you'll be required to get to one a part of an area, sometimes having to contend with a group of enemies, to activate a switch; and then you have to go all the way (back) to the portion that just opened up. Some enemies are optional to fight, but the majority that you have to battle are mandatory. Your weapons (for Phineas, Ferb, and Perry), in theory, are supposed to level up after you play some bonus games (they're required as well), but sometimes if you backtrack it'll seem like the weapon leveled *down[/strong] (even when you replay the certain area with the newer weapon before playing the bonus games, most of which are mandatory to progress). That's not right! The bonus games require the usage of a stylus ... good ... but you have to click the target right on the spot in order for it to respond ... bad. This is one of those collect-a-thon, infinite lives kind of games, but it is mindlessly easy and tedious. Some one-stage exclusive segments are nice, but they're short in abundance of fun and excitement not so much due to lack of polish but due to lack of pure substance. This game was just broken, unpolished, and very repetitive. It's a shame, because there was potential for something good, but in the end it turned out to be a cash-in on the show. Disappointing. At this point, I hope they don't make a video game adaptation of Wander Over Yonder (though God knows I love that show so much), but if they do, I hope it'll have more heart, fun value, and polish than this.

But what's worse than all these titles I've mentioned?
Pocky & Rocky with Becky for the Game Boy Advance! I'm a fan of the two Pocky & Rocky games for the SNES, as they're very fun and enjoyable games with a good amount of structure, substance, polish, charm, and challenge. The thing the two have in common is that they were made by Natsume; this one was made by Altron. And all I've got to ask is: what the hell happened?!? There's so many things wrong with this game I don't even know where to start. Actually, yes I do! It's a disappointing and really poor cash-in on the two Pocky & Rocky games that preceded it. I mean, really poor! The story is one-dimensional, there are no cutscenes inbetween stages, the areas feel so bland and uninspired, the music is generic, and the gameplay? Altron got the basic structure down, but they forgot to make it fun along the way. Your character has a health of two, they throw projectiles, and they deflect... while moving! Speaking of, there are lots of enemies in this game, and unless you're careful you'll quickly lose a life (but not because it's hard; poor structure should not account for challenge). If you lose a life that means you start at the exact spot you died in, right? Not here! Unlike the last two games you restart by checkpoints. CHECKPOINTS! What the hell?! You have to position your character carefully in order to move with deflecting enemies and/or projectiles away otherwise you'll lose health quickly. The magic cannot be used during boss fights, which should be a prompt for challenge; but the way it's played out here it feels a tad frustrating and luck-oriented. Sometimes things will get hectic for no reason and amounts to an unbalanced game. The flame scroll is the game breaker, but you'll lose it if you lose a life (and you will). Oh, but if you manage to beat the game the first time you'll unlock a second quest via code; and it lives up to its name, with more enemies than there were before, making it less fun than it already was. What happened with Pocky & Rocky with Becky? Was it because it was being made for a handheld with a small aspect ratio? Was it due the fact that it was being made for a different format? Was it because Altron wanted to present the game as quickly as possible? Was it a rush job? Was it because Natsume didn't develop it themselves? All I know is that I felt that there was no sense of creativity, imagination, and charm in this iteration as there was in its predecessors. It was just border-on unlikable with cheap structure lacking a heart and soul that was evident in Pocky & Rocky and Pocky & Rocky 2. This was a farce, and Altron were clearly not up to the task.

IMO, to each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Oragami

CanisWolfred wrote:

Oragami wrote:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire DS - I loved the adventure of the first 3 Harry Potter games on the PS2 and GameCube. It's been a while since I last played this one, but I remember being bored.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix PSP - Exact same situation as Goblet of Fire.
Tony Hawk's Project 8 PSP - I played Tony Hawk's Underground 2 to death, but this one never quite got my interest.
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom - I really liked Duelists of the Roses when I was young, but this felt really uninspired.
Nicktoons Unite! - Again, just boring. Not like Nicktoons: Movin', which was awesome.

No offense, but I find it hard to believe anyone had even the slightest expectations for so many cash-in games...

Yeah, but the games before these in the series were quite good.

Edited on by Oragami

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

My musical project Comet Tail made a couple of recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zUoWWO1v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBddvrm2U

Yoshi

New Super Mario Bros. 2: By far, the least unique game in the New series. It felt like a rehash of NSMBW. It's one saving grace is Coin Rush, though.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star: Do I honestly have to explain this? It got boring too quickly, its attempts at an open world were lackluster, and the plot was shallow. Also, I know it's a game where everything is made out of paper, but I hated the fact that the game shoved PAPER in your face at every nook and cranny. The other three games were nowhere near as bad.

Halo 4: Right now, I'm disappointed with it. I never finished the game. It isn't fair, so I probably need to beat the game before passing judgment, but it's so hard to pick it back up.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

lamco

FF13 because of the gameplay, which i despise, no towns, NPC's and pretty much was lacking many elements of what i love about the FF serires. It's like SE put more effort into the graphics (which i must admit are beautiful) then anything else. The worst part is that i pre-ordered this game aswell, not worth over £30
Call of duty in general, mainly because at the time, everyone i knew was hyping about this game and i thought i might give it a go. I just didn't feel the game was very interesting. Its proably to do with my lack of liking of FPS in general.
Prince of persia - i loved the psp gammes,, so i got this on xbox 360. The lack of Combat and challenge was what disppointed me, along with the game being short.

Other then that, i tend not to be ever disappointed by games... possibly because i tend to buy games really late (like 2+ yrs after the release loll) because i never have any money.

Edited on by lamco

I have a ghost type safari with phanump +shuppet +?

3DS Friend Code: 4527-8492-5215 | Nintendo Network ID: Difficvlt

rolLTheDice

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS): Not a bad game but for Zelda standards it felt so shallow and more like an expanded tech demo than a true Zelda game imo.
Heroes Of Ruin (3DS): I don't know why i expected this to be a button controlled Diablo mixed with a WoW-light approach to the quests. If i wouldn't have thought i'd absolutely need to do the underwhelming daily quests from the first day on i would've waited for more impressions.

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

BearHunger

I'm going to start by saying that Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the best Paper Mario game and the best game on 3DS. I love it so much🎶

The Revenge of Shinobi — I downloaded this game from the Wii shop shortly after its release, because everyone loved it. I hated it. Joe moved too slow and jumped too high, the enemies had no personality, enemies were attacking me the moment I knew they were there, and I found the acclaimed soundtrack to be quite dull. Something about it made me keep coming back to it over the years, though, until I finally came around on it a few months ago. Both the game and its soundtrack were way better than anything coming out on the NES at that time, that's for sure.
Wait, what else was released—?
Yeah, it's better than Mega Man 2. 😋

Okay, now for some straight examples. I don't really regret getting any of these, but they still disappointed…

• Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two — I kinda ignored the reviews, thinking that it would only be an improvement over its predecessor, as it was slated to be, and knowing that it was in a genre I liked and had voice acting and Mickey in it. I haven't played it in two years, partly because it looked horrible on my HDTV via composite cable (my Wii's component cable input port thingy whatever stopped working somehow), partly because I rarely have someone to play it with these days and I do not want Oswald to control himself, partly because I still haven't beaten the first game (though I do enjoy that one on the rare occasion that I play it), and partly because it's boooorring!
  • NiGHTS into Dreams… — Textbook case of “not as good as everyone says.” It seems to be a score attack game where you fly around really fast through a course you can't really see very well due to the zoomed-in camera… and everything happens really fast… whatever, I don't get it. The ending was kinda worth sticking around for, but the game still doesn't really speak to me. Besides, Super Mario 64 pulled off the “sensation of flight” thing way better with its wing cap.
  • Sonic and the Black Knight — I usually like Sonic games, especially the controversial ones! Indeed, I am quite fond of Sonic Lost World and Sonic Unleashed, the PS3/360 version of which is my favorite game in the series. This game, though, is fundamentally broken. The game fails to find a balance between two contrasting gameplay mechanics, and the controls are bizarre, even beyond the insufficiently responsive Wii remote gestures. Well, I backflip-then-spincut my way through this game's barely interactive levels and unfair bosses until I reached the dragon. After a few tries at that boss, I gave up. I didn't lose interest or take a break, I gave up. Usually I just do one of the former two.
  • Metroid — It's an okay game, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I did not enjoy bombing every tile, and the copy-and-paste level design confused me. I'm kind of proud that I beat it, though.
  • Spyro: A Hero's Tail — Not a bad game if I remember correctly (it's been so long), but I did not appreciate the liberties taken with some of the characters, I found much of the dialogue and new characters annoying (even as a little kid), and I did not find the gameplay nearly as compelling as that of its predecessors. Moreover, I guess I was kind of averse to change back then. (Interestingly, it resembled Ratchet & Clank more closely than it did the previous Spyro games.)
  • Sonic Generations (3DS) — Severe lack of content. It succeeded in making me want the real version more, so it did its job.
  • Yoshi Topsy-Turvy — Okay, this one I regret. Just a really crumby, stupid game with bizarrely terrible music quality, horrible characters and “cutscenes,” no cohesive level design, bland objectives, and shallow use of the tilt sensor. After WarioWare: Twisted! showed me the magic of tilt gameplay, Yoshi Topsy-Turvy was a huge letdown.

Edited on by BearHunger

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

rallydefault

Dragon Age 2. I even forget if it had a spiffy subtitle. Dragon Age: Origins is one of my favorite games of all time (if not my absolute favorite) - it was so vast and rewarding and intriguing in every way.

And Dragon Age 2 was: a city. A single city. With a bit of hillside and mines thrown in for an attempt at variety. The story was totally forgettable, and I need to stretch just to try and think up a memorable moment from the entire thing. Heck, the DLC for Origins was better than the entire second game. Such a disappointment.

rallydefault

Contrite

Diablo 3.
I don't think any elaboration is needed.

Contrite

Red_XIII

Bioshock Infinite: Pretentious, overcomplicated plot, awful gunplay, crippling linearity, mind-numbing repetition, etc etc
Also: Phantom Hourglass: What a poorly designed piece of trash

Red_XIII

Red_XIII

Bioshock Infinite: Pretentious, overcomplicated plot, awful gunplay, crippling linearity, mind-numbing repetition, etc etc
Also: Phantom Hourglass: What a poorly designed piece of trash

Red_XIII

RancidVomit86

I don't even know where to start with Assassin’s Creed

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.