Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Tecmo Koei posts massive, mega, gigantic profit

Showing 1 to 18 of 18

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

1. Posted:

At a time where developers are being closed for just one failed game, and mid-tier publishers like THQ are shutting down for any number of economic reasons, one mid-to-large publisher, Tecmo Koei, is showing everyone how it's done.

For the December quarter (the three months ending in December 31, 2012), Tecmo Koei posted revenues of ¥22.2 billion ($238.4m/£151.5m). That's only up 6.5 per cent on the same period the previous year. The exciting number is the net profits, which jumped 291.7 per cent to ¥2.6 billion ($27.9m/£17.7m).

That's right. Nearly 300 per cent profit increase. And most interestingly? That profit didn't come from either mobile or online gaming, which is the direction every other publisher seems to be pointing at the moment. Tecmo Koei's online and mobile division actually reported a 10 per cent drop in sales to ¥3.8 billion ($40.8m/£25.9m).

I suspect the reason for that was the company didn't bother releasing an iPhone or iPad game in that three month period in 2012. When you're selling bucketloads of console games, you probably don't need to, either.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Magikarp3

2. Posted:

That's odd, since the only game they've had out in that quarter was Dead or Ali- oh.

So it's true - nobody can say no to Hitomi :D

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

3. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

That's odd, since the only game they've had out in that quarter was Dead or Ali- oh.

So it's true - nobody can say no to Hitomi :D

Tecmo Koei probably had more money coming in from DLC of bikinis and things than the game itself lol.

Didn't Nintendo buy into the Fatal Frame franchise in the quarter too? That would have added to the dollars. And whatever Gust did in the quarter - Atelier Ayesha was around then in Japan?

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

4. Posted:

The entire Bikini Pack costs $100 USD, I think it's a given that that's where a lot of the money is coming from. :P

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

5. Posted:

The article is a bit wrong. THQ closed because the management were incompetent not due to the economy. (Though it did play a factor)

Eh this isn't that bog of a deal as their profit would have probably been even bigger if they made ios games along side their console and handheld output.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

6. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Tecmo Koei probably had more money coming in from DLC of bikinis and things than the game itself lol.

Didn't Nintendo buy into the Fatal Frame franchise in the quarter too? That would have added to the dollars. And whatever Gust did in the quarter - Atelier Ayesha was around then in Japan?

No, Nintendo has been invested in Fatal Frame for a while but I don't think they actually have any ownership of the IP(although they own Spirit Camera) but it's been speculated that Nintendo financed Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge and published it in NA. If that was the case the release would have been pretty much pure profit for TK.

Anyway that's a good result although your title is a tad hyperbolic.:P

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Fox

7. Posted:

Did Bankai quote someone in the first post but fail to attribute it? Not very journalistic.

Anyway, good for Tecmo Koei. It's good to see someone keeping their head above the water.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

8. Posted:

The_Fox wrote:

Did Bankai quote someone in the first post but fail to attribute it? Not very journalistic.

Only because he quoted his own article. :P

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Fox

9. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

The_Fox wrote:

Did Bankai quote someone in the first post but fail to attribute it? Not very journalistic.

Only because he quoted his own article. :P

Damn! Alright, Bankai wins this round. :P

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

10. Posted:

I can't say I'm not surprised. Tecmo Koei is just not one of those companies I see anyone ever really talk about, almost regardless of game preferences. Good for them though.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Capt_N

11. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Good for them though.

Yes, it is good to see game co.s surviving.

3DS FC: 0173-1967-5074♪DotheMarioKrt7 Community: 65-3522-2507-1023

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1967-5074 | Nintendo Network ID: Captain_RETRON

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

12. Posted:

Capt_N wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Good for them though.

Yes, it is good to see game co.s surviving.

No, it is terrible. HOW DARE THEY!!!1!

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

13. Posted:

The article is a bit wrong. THQ closed because the management were incompetent not due to the economy. (Though it did play a factor)

THQ failed because the games market doesn't support mid-tier publishers making mass-market games. That's the one-sentence actual reason for what happened. In that, poor management decisions, a poor economy, and a difficult consumer market all played a role.

No, Nintendo has been invested in Fatal Frame for a while but I don't think they actually have any ownership of the IP(although they own Spirit Camera) but it's been speculated that Nintendo financed Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge and published it in NA. If that was the case the release would have been pretty much pure profit for TK.

I could have sworn I read in the past few months that Nintendo actually bought co-ownership of the Fatal Frame IP

Ah: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-acquires-fatal-frame-...

But, not in the quarter we're talking about.

I can't say I'm not surprised. Tecmo Koei is just not one of those companies I see anyone ever really talk about, almost regardless of game preferences. Good for them though.

Well, it's a little like Activision in Japan.

Tecmo Koei doesn't even pretend to be anything but a Japanese company. It makes games for the Japanese market first, and then if they sell well in the west it's a bonus. Every single Warriors game debuts high in the charts in Japan (often #1).

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

14. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

I could have sworn I read in the past few months that Nintendo actually bought co-ownership of the Fatal Frame IP

Ah: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-acquires-fatal-frame-...

But, not in the quarter we're talking about.

If you follow the sources you'll see that it's speculation and Rely on Horror is reinterpreting it. Nintendo owns the actual games they publish but not the trademark. Looking at the back of the Project Zero 2 Wii Edition case it says:
"(C) 2012 Nintendo/ TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.
TRADEMARKS ARE PROPERTY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.
Wii IS TRADEMARK OF NINTENDO. PROJECT ZERO IS A
TRADEMARK OF TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.
(C) 2012 Nintendo."

Although considering it's a remake of a game TK should fully own it is a weird situation.

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

15. Posted:

Oregano wrote:

Bankai wrote:

I could have sworn I read in the past few months that Nintendo actually bought co-ownership of the Fatal Frame IP

Ah: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-acquires-fatal-frame-...

But, not in the quarter we're talking about.

If you follow the sources you'll see that it's speculation and Rely on Horror is reinterpreting it. Nintendo owns the actual games they publish but not the trademark. Looking at the back of the Project Zero 2 Wii Edition case it says:
"(C) 2012 Nintendo/ TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.
TRADEMARKS ARE PROPERTY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.
Wii IS TRADEMARK OF NINTENDO. PROJECT ZERO IS A
TRADEMARK OF TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.
(C) 2012 Nintendo."

Although considering it's a remake of a game TK should fully own it is a weird situation.

That game was also developed before this deal came about - it would only be games moving forward that would happen according to this new relationship.

It's a confusing situation.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

16. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

That game was also developed before this deal came about - it would only be games moving forward that would happen according to this new relationship.

It's a confusing situation.

You could be right, I guess we will see when the next Fatal Frame is announced! Also it seems Razor's Edge is coming to PS3 and 360 in April so it seems unlikely that Nintendo funded its development. They did publish it in North America and Europe though, probably in exchange for timed exclusivity, so that's still very beneficial for Tecmo Koei.

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

17. Posted:

Oregano wrote:

Also it seems Razor's Edge is coming to PS3 and 360 in April so it seems unlikely that Nintendo funded its development.

I didn't think that was official yet. Just that it's a retailer listing that may or may not be correct. I won't say it's unlikely, though.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

18. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Oregano wrote:

Also it seems Razor's Edge is coming to PS3 and 360 in April so it seems unlikely that Nintendo funded its development.

I didn't think that was official yet. Just that it's a retailer listing that may or may not be correct. I won't say it's unlikely, though.

Well the listing is very detailed including information about exclusive costumes for pre-orders so I think it's close to confirmed. It might even be this week's Famitsu news which should leak in a couple of hours.

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!