Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Stanley Parable troll-trailer = AMAZING

Showing 1 to 20 of 30

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SwerdMurd

1. Posted:

Saw this linked earlier today on Facebook. Greatest response to player criticism ever, or best hype-generation video ever? You decide.

Still laughing. :)

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. Link to follow once I resurrect my dead website. - www.facebook.com/vintgames

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Maskeraid

2. Posted:

This is actually extremely petty in my opinion. If you feel the need to respond to one critic in such a childish manner, then learn some restraint. Jeez.

My Maskloggery
[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

"He say oogly? What means that, oogly?"
"Grr... He means your face would frighten small children! Now be quiet!"

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9222-4787 | Nintendo Network ID: Happy_Masked_Man

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SwerdMurd

3. Posted:

Petty netted them 400,000 youtube views and shipped 10k copies easy. Also does a good job of sarcastically proving why the suggestions are hopefully out of scope, bland, and poorly argued, all while being quite funny.

Bring on the petty if it's this well made. Opportunity = taken.

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. Link to follow once I resurrect my dead website. - www.facebook.com/vintgames

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Moorpheel

4. Posted:

"This place has shoes! I love shoes! Shopping! Shopping! Shopping! Shopping! Shopping!" - a Woman.

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

5. Posted:

Wonder_Mask wrote:

This is actually extremely petty in my opinion. If you feel the need to respond to one critic in such a childish manner, then learn some restraint. Jeez.

I disagree with you there. It wasn't handled childishly. He didn't say "Raphael is stupid and so are his opinions hah hah hah", he just poked fun at the seemingly unintelligent arguments that this Raphael makes. It's a joke video, and he didn't do it specifically because he was angry, I think it was clearly created because they wanted publicity for their game and the letter probably inspired this hilarious video.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SwerdMurd

6. Posted:

Morpheel wrote:

"This place has shoes! I love shoes! Shopping! Shopping! Shopping! Shopping! Shopping!" - a Woman.

I did love how they handled the critic's rather sexist comments with that little ante-one-upper.

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. Link to follow once I resurrect my dead website. - www.facebook.com/vintgames

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

7. Posted:

Wonder_Mask wrote:

This is actually extremely petty in my opinion. If you feel the need to respond to one critic in such a childish manner, then learn some restraint. Jeez.

That was a rather joyless exercise, I must agree. As much as I like a good critique-of-the-critic that section went on for 2 minutes, just to set the stage for additional mockery. :P

AJ_Lethal wrote:

DON'T DARE TO TALK CRAP ABOUT GOAT SIMULATOR.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Phatosaurus

8. Posted:

SwerdMurd wrote:

Petty netted them 400,000 youtube views and shipped 10k copies easy. Also does a good job of sarcastically proving why the suggestions are hopefully out of scope, bland, and poorly argued, all while being quite funny.

Bring on the petty if it's this well made. Opportunity = taken.

10k? Try 100k+

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSilverFlame

9. Posted:

it was awesome!! especially the end: "stanley, stanley, stanley, stanley......"

Kirby 20th anniversary Remix
Kirby is coming to the 3DS!!!!!!!
my Backloggery
the Chit-Chat Crew!
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
visit Nintendo Friends it's a cool place
Row Row, Fight the Power!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SwerdMurd

10. Posted:

Phatosaurus wrote:

SwerdMurd wrote:

Petty netted them 400,000 youtube views and shipped 10k copies easy.

10k? Try 100k+

You think? I bet it netted them a ton of downloads - but there's a demo, so a lot of people probably got their curiosity satiated that way.

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. Link to follow once I resurrect my dead website. - www.facebook.com/vintgames

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SkywardLink98

11. Posted:

Hahahahaha, that was great. "...just to piss him off a bit" this guy is great. If only more devs addressed these people like this.

*Opinions, views, and/or biases are all subject to change on a regular basis.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.
I'm that guy who's opinion always seems to contradict the normal one.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

12. Posted:

I actually don't blame the dev at all for being a bit ticked (if he even was) at that letter - it was so confusingly written, I couldn't even tell what he was trying to say. Definitely liked his response to it all. Good to see a dev with a sense of humor.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

13. Posted:

SwerdMurd wrote:

Petty netted them 400,000 youtube views and shipped 10k copies easy.

You realise this logic can be used to justify just about anything?

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

14. Posted:

I really want to get Stanley Parable. Everything I've seen confirms it is one of the most brilliant games in recent history. With like no hyperbole with that, it is honestly made by some mad genius of a creator. At least as funny as Portal and simultaneously the biggest middle finger to both modern gaming and its critics simultaneously.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SomeBitTripFan

15. Posted:

Looked a bit at the game. I have to say, it's rather fantastic. Even though it falls into the "Walking Simulator" genre, as people love to call any game that is solely driven by story, it still easily justifies it's existence as it is. There is no way any other form of media could have gotten the point across as they did. It uses it's interactivity in a great way and, honestly, I think that if they added gameplay, it would detract from the whole experience, and actual goal, of the game. I don't really like the price on it (I'll be waiting for a sale), but from watching a walkthrough of the original mod, I know I'll eventually get it.

Just Someloggery
Current Projects: Beloved Titan
On the Back Burner: The Machine, Ascending Entity, Antumbra, Between Two Causes, Heaven's Point, Binary, A Pixel and a Dot, Base O-70, A Wakeful Purgatory
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SwerdMurd

16. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

SwerdMurd wrote:

Petty netted them 400,000 youtube views and shipped 10k copies easy.

You realise this logic can be used to justify just about anything?

The logic that this particular game, utilizing a humorous response / stellar production values, managed a successful campaign creatively? The logic that being douchey automatically equates to views / sales? The logic that things can result in other things?

I'm not sure I follow.

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. Link to follow once I resurrect my dead website. - www.facebook.com/vintgames

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SomeBitTripFan

17. Posted:

I just asked about the possibility of a Narrator GPS voice-pack. I'll post the contents of the response here.

Just Someloggery
Current Projects: Beloved Titan
On the Back Burner: The Machine, Ascending Entity, Antumbra, Between Two Causes, Heaven's Point, Binary, A Pixel and a Dot, Base O-70, A Wakeful Purgatory
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

18. Posted:

Never heard of this game before... but after seeing that, I now want to check it out! This guy seems to be going in the direction that I'd like to go in with game creation. :)

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Gioku on Youtube | Nintendo Friends
Yes, I am a brony. And proud of it. Get over it. :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

19. Posted:

SwerdMurd wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

SwerdMurd wrote:

Petty netted them 400,000 youtube views and shipped 10k copies easy.

You realise this logic can be used to justify just about anything?

The logic that this particular game, utilizing a humorous response / stellar production values, managed a successful campaign creatively? The logic that being douchey automatically equates to views / sales? The logic that things can result in other things?

I'm not sure I follow.

Judging by the semantics, your statement would equate "pettiness" with views. As if to say that views are the sole objective, which having been achieved is irrefutably good. But I don't think you were saying that.

AJ_Lethal wrote:

DON'T DARE TO TALK CRAP ABOUT GOAT SIMULATOR.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SwerdMurd

20. Posted:

OptometristLime wrote:

SwerdMurd wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

SwerdMurd wrote:

Petty netted them 400,000 youtube views and shipped 10k copies easy.

You realise this logic can be used to justify just about anything?

The logic that this particular game, utilizing a humorous response / stellar production values, managed a successful campaign creatively? The logic that being douchey automatically equates to views / sales? The logic that things can result in other things?

I'm not sure I follow.

Judging by the semantics, your statement would equate "pettiness" with views. As if to say that views are the sole objective, which having been achieved is irrefutably good. But I don't think you were saying that.

Aaaah, I feel you now. You're correct - I merely meant that, petty or not, it's hard to argue that this wasn't a successful campaign and wasn't a good idea. Not that it was an intentionally petty jab who's sole purpose was pettiness-for-the-sake-of-social-currency.

While I hate to admit it... Pretty much anything that gets your game views is good. Short of full-on, pornographic ads replete with links to pirated videos (I think everyone on earth could agree that, even if this nets views, it's just plain 100% bad business), no tool should be off-limits. Getting views is a cutthroat business, and I've seen plenty of incredible games get completely passed by simply because they never took a successful first-step in getting seen.

Look at something like Nintendolife's review of that horrid Gummy Bears platformer for 3ds. I think it was a 1/10 - if not, very close to it. The average person looks at that and goes "looooooooool sucks for that game." But honestly - the fact that the review was SO scathing and SO bad probably prompted the odd user to go "... It can't be THAT bad. I gotta see for myself - /spends 3 bucks". I also would never have heard of the game, or cared one way or another about it had this super-brutal review not been published.

While I can't say I fully agree with "There's no such thing as bad publicity", I would say that "There's ALMOST no such thing as bad publicity"

Edited on by SwerdMurd

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. Link to follow once I resurrect my dead website. - www.facebook.com/vintgames