Forums

Topic: Sony being sued because Killzone: Shadow Fall MP is not 1080p

Posts 41 to 60 of 64

8BitSamurai

SCAR392 wrote:

Second, he's not the only person in the world who bought the game, so even if he wins, he as an individual is not entitled to $5 million dollars.

That's why this is a class action suit.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

SCRAPPER392

8BitSamurai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Second, he's not the only person in the world who bought the game, so even if he wins, he as an individual is not entitled to $5 million dollars.

That's why this is a class action suit.

Ok. Thank you for clearing that up. I would be super ticked if he was doing this for his gain, alone.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Kyloctopus

Damn...I have a copy of Killzone Shadowfall. I could've been rich...

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

MsJubilee

So can anyone tell me the guy won? Or he lost miserably.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

8BitSamurai

midnafanboy wrote:

So can anyone tell me the guy won? Or he lost miserably.

Don't know yet, it'll probably be thrown out very quickly on the basis that the game technically is 1080p.

Revolution909

Man, I still don't even know what 1080 would look like or what frames per second and all that. Not even going to bother as long as the games interesting its good enough for me.

Revolution909

CaviarMeths

Late, but I just wanted to point out that the lawsuit against McDonald's and their coffee was a legitimate case. The coffee was well above the temperature allowed by health and safety standards (note: it's important to follow those) and gave the lady 3rd degree burns. Don't know if you've ever seen 3rd degree burns before, but it's basically seared straight through all skin tissue down to the muscle to the point where the skin is dead and will not heal. It's extreme, and the lady had to get skin grafts. The specific McD's had also received multiple complaints and warnings prior to the incident.

It's actually quite sad that the media launched a successful smear campaign to demonize the victim. That's what McDonald's money gets you. The entire country will be on your side when you blatantly ignore health and safety standards and get a person disfigured and hospitalized.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Therad

Dave24 wrote:

Umm... it's no secret at all.

Q: Is SHADOW FALL running 1080p natively?

In both SP and MP, KILLZONE SHADOW FALL outputs a full, unscaled 1080p image at up to 60 FPS. Native is often used to indicate images that are not scaled; it is native by that definition.

In Multiplayer mode, however, we use a technique called “temporal reprojection,” which combines pixels and motion vectors from multiple lower-resolution frames to reconstruct a full 1080p image. If native means that every part of the pipeline is 1080p then this technique is not native.

Games often employ different resolutions in different parts of their rendering pipeline. Most games render particles and ambient occlusion at a lower resolution, while some games even do all lighting at a lower resolution. This is generally still called native 1080p. The technique used in KILLZONE SHADOW FALL goes further and reconstructs half of the pixels from past frames.

We recognize the community’s degree of investment on this matter, and that the conventional terminology used before may be too vague to effectively convey what’s going on under the hood. As such we will do our best to be more precise with our language in the future.

Q: So how does “temporal reprojection” work and what’s the difference with up-scaling?

Up-scaling is a spatial interpolation filter. When up-scaling an image from one resolution to another, new pixels are added by stretching the image in X/Y dimension. The values of the new pixels are picked to lie in between the current values of the pixels. This gives a bigger, but slightly blurrier picture.

Temporal reprojection is a technique that tracks the position of pixels over time and predicts where they will be in future. These “history pixels” are combined with freshly rendered pixels to form a higher-resolution new frame. This is what KILLZONE SHADOW FALL uses in multiplayer.

So, in a bit more detail, this is what we need for this technique:

We keep track of three images of “history pixels” sized 960x1080

The current frame

The past frame

And the past-past frame

For each pixel we store its color and its motion vector – i.e. the direction of the pixel on-screen

We also store a full 1080p, “previous frame” which we use to improve anti-aliasing

Then we have to reconstruct every odd pixel in the frame:

We track every pixel back to the previous frame and two frames ago, by using its motion vectors

By looking at how this pixel moved in the past, we determine its “predictability”

Most pixels are very predictable, so we use reconstruction from a past frame to serve as the odd pixel

If the pixel is not very predictable, we pick the best value from neighbors in the current frame

On occasion the prediction fails and locally pixels become blurry, or thin vertical lines appear. However, most of the time the prediction works well and the image is identical to a normal 1080p image. We then increase sub-pixel anti-aliasing using our 1080p “previous frame” and motion vectors, further improving the image quality.

So technically, it works just as advertised. He will lose it.

Actually, their description make it sound more like 1080i...

If they can't output the game at the promised 1080p, they should tell people about the real resolution or shut up about entirely. This is false advertisement. And if I understand US laws correctly, they don't have much protection against false advertisement other than class actions.

Also, if it is a class action suit, everyone that has bought Killzone for multiplayer will be able to get a refund. He will not get 5 millions, it will be a refund (the cost of the damage)+lawyer fees.

Therad

8BitSamurai

Therad wrote:

Actually, their description make it sound more like 1080i...

If they can't output the game at the promised 1080p, they should tell people about the real resolution or shut up about entirely. This is false advertisement. And if I understand US laws correctly, they don't have much protection against false advertisement other than class actions.

Also, if it is a class action suit, everyone that has bought Killzone for multiplayer will be able to get a refund. He will not get 5 millions, it will be a refund (the cost of the damage)+lawyer fees.

There is no industry standard for 1080p. The game technically runs at 1080p and this suit will be thrown out of court immediately for it.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

mamp

8BitSamurai wrote:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-sued-because-killzone-s...

The suit, filed by a gamer by the name of Douglas Ladore in U.S. District Court in California yesterday, claims that gamers "quickly noticed and complained that Killzone's multiplayer graphics were blurry to the point of distraction." This is despite Sony having claimed the game would offer "'1080p' multiplayer graphics, a crowning achievement in the video game industry," and having even featured the 1080p figure on the game's box.

Ladore is seeking to prevent Sony from continuing to advertise the game as being 1080p, and is looking for damages--to the tune of more than $5 million.

Is this real life?

We Mexicans call them white people.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

Eel

I'm preeeeeeetty sure we use another word (in fact I have never ever heard anyone use the words "white people" in that context in this country), but yeah that was a little unnecessary and very random.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Therad

Actually, it doesn't need to be a standard for the court to accept it. If it is resonable to assume that 1080p is a native rendering resolution of 1920x1080. Don't you think it is misleading to say that a game runs at a higher resolution than it actually does?

If they had rendered a 1080p and upscales it before sending it to the tv, would that be fine?

Personally, I hate the resolution debate, since it is such a small part of the graphic. But it is quantifiable and that is why people likes it. But if a company wants to brag about their pixels, they at least shouldn't be lying about it.

Therad

8BitSamurai

Therad wrote:

Actually, it doesn't need to be a standard for the court to accept it. If it is resonable to assume that 1080p is a native rendering resolution of 1920x1080. Don't you think it is misleading to say that a game runs at a higher resolution than it actually does?

If they had rendered a 1080p and upscales it before sending it to the tv, would that be fine?

Personally, I hate the resolution debate, since it is such a small part of the graphic. But it is quantifiable and that is why people likes it. But if a company wants to brag about their pixels, they at least shouldn't be lying about it.

It is technically 1080p, again, there is no standard to compare to, and Shadowfall's 1080p will look exactly the same as any other to the vast, vast majority of consumers. I also need to note that it is extremely common for multiplayer modes in shooters to use tricks like Shadow Fall's to achieve a higher resolution.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai

CaviarMeths wrote:

Late, but I just wanted to point out that the lawsuit against McDonald's and their coffee was a legitimate case. The coffee was well above the temperature allowed by health and safety standards (note: it's important to follow those) and gave the lady 3rd degree burns. Don't know if you've ever seen 3rd degree burns before, but it's basically seared straight through all skin tissue down to the muscle to the point where the skin is dead and will not heal. It's extreme, and the lady had to get skin grafts. The specific McD's had also received multiple complaints and warnings prior to the incident.

It's actually quite sad that the media launched a successful smear campaign to demonize the victim. That's what McDonald's money gets you. The entire country will be on your side when you blatantly ignore health and safety standards and get a person disfigured and hospitalized.

Great post actually, dood. I feel kinda bad for having talked down the victim now though... That's how it goes, I guess.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

Therad

8BitSamurai wrote:

Therad wrote:

It is technically 1080p, again, there is no standard to compare to, and Shadowfall's 1080p will look exactly the same as any other to the vast, vast majority of consumers. I also need to note that it is extremely common for multiplayer modes in shooters to use tricks like Shadow Fall's to achieve a higher resolution.

But that is not the point, the point is that they have said that they have a higher resolution than they actually have. It is not rendered at 1080p, which is what they have implied. Half of the screen is not rendered, it is interpolated. Isn't this false advertisement?

What others do or do not do has no bearing to this case at all.

Would you be fine if they had rendered it in 720p and upscaled it to 1080p? It is technically 1080p in the same sense.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

8BitSamurai

Therad wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Therad wrote:

But that is not the point, the point is that they have said that they have a higher resolution than they actually have. It is not rendered at 1080p, which is what they have implied. Half of the screen is not rendered, it is interpolated. Isn't this false advertisement?

It isn't false advertisement, it's technically 1080p and virtually indistinguishable from any "other" 1080p

Therad wrote:

Would you be fine if they had rendered it in 720p and upscaled it to 1080p? It is technically 1080p in the same sense.

Yup

Well, the resolution war has started now, so I propose...

Untitled

Don't fret ya'll, we had a good run.

SCRAPPER392

@Therad
The game is 1080p, they just reuse frames and lower resolution images to project 1080p. The image itself is 1080p, but it's the jumble of other things that people aren't understanding or are complaining about.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Therad

So if nintendo used the exact same technique on super mario bros (which is entirely possible) they could call it 1080p? Why should this be legal? Isn't this misleading and false advertisement?

Btw, they don't reuse frames. they interpolate half the image from 2 previous images.

Therad

Nintenjoe64

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to pay out on my double lawsuit against 1080 Snowboarding and 1080 Avalanche. It wasn't even 720p.

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.