Forums

Topic: Sony being sued because Killzone: Shadow Fall MP is not 1080p

Posts 21 to 40 of 64

Dave24

Umm... it's no secret at all.

Q: Is SHADOW FALL running 1080p natively?

In both SP and MP, KILLZONE SHADOW FALL outputs a full, unscaled 1080p image at up to 60 FPS. Native is often used to indicate images that are not scaled; it is native by that definition.

In Multiplayer mode, however, we use a technique called “temporal reprojection,” which combines pixels and motion vectors from multiple lower-resolution frames to reconstruct a full 1080p image. If native means that every part of the pipeline is 1080p then this technique is not native.

Games often employ different resolutions in different parts of their rendering pipeline. Most games render particles and ambient occlusion at a lower resolution, while some games even do all lighting at a lower resolution. This is generally still called native 1080p. The technique used in KILLZONE SHADOW FALL goes further and reconstructs half of the pixels from past frames.

We recognize the community’s degree of investment on this matter, and that the conventional terminology used before may be too vague to effectively convey what’s going on under the hood. As such we will do our best to be more precise with our language in the future.

Q: So how does “temporal reprojection” work and what’s the difference with up-scaling?

Up-scaling is a spatial interpolation filter. When up-scaling an image from one resolution to another, new pixels are added by stretching the image in X/Y dimension. The values of the new pixels are picked to lie in between the current values of the pixels. This gives a bigger, but slightly blurrier picture.

Temporal reprojection is a technique that tracks the position of pixels over time and predicts where they will be in future. These “history pixels” are combined with freshly rendered pixels to form a higher-resolution new frame. This is what KILLZONE SHADOW FALL uses in multiplayer.

So, in a bit more detail, this is what we need for this technique:

We keep track of three images of “history pixels” sized 960x1080

The current frame

The past frame

And the past-past frame

For each pixel we store its color and its motion vector – i.e. the direction of the pixel on-screen

We also store a full 1080p, “previous frame” which we use to improve anti-aliasing

Then we have to reconstruct every odd pixel in the frame:

We track every pixel back to the previous frame and two frames ago, by using its motion vectors

By looking at how this pixel moved in the past, we determine its “predictability”

Most pixels are very predictable, so we use reconstruction from a past frame to serve as the odd pixel

If the pixel is not very predictable, we pick the best value from neighbors in the current frame

On occasion the prediction fails and locally pixels become blurry, or thin vertical lines appear. However, most of the time the prediction works well and the image is identical to a normal 1080p image. We then increase sub-pixel anti-aliasing using our 1080p “previous frame” and motion vectors, further improving the image quality.

So technically, it works just as advertised. He will lose it.

Dave24

8BitSamurai

As others have previously mentioned, it actually is technically 1080p. There's not really any industry standard for "1080p".

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

Ralizah

Undead_terror wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

LzWinky

The more I think about it, ol' Billy was right. Let's kill all the lawyers. Kill them tonight

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

RobbEJay

SkywardLink98 wrote:

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

This is the problem with this generation of gamers. We've all gotten WAY too caught up in graphics, frame rate, resolution and the like that we've resorted to suing, raging, and boycotting over the smallest differences compared to what the companies state that game features.

This doesn't really have to do with gamers, as (if you haven't heard of this before, I'd be really surprised) McDonald's was sued because it's coffee was too hot and it hospitalized someone. Anybody will sue anybody over anything.

Well, to be fair, they're coffee is pretty hot.

But seriously though, while the actual lawsuit was kinda ridiculous, in hind-sight it was probably a good thing. The issue wasn't that it was hot (big duh right there), but that Mcdonald's kept it hotter than they're supposed to, I guess beyond whats considered safe. The women actually suffered 3rd-degree burns from it, so it had to be boiling-hot, not just hot-held.

RobbEJay

SCRAPPER392

CaviarMeths wrote:

The other day I went to Subway and they were out of Parmesan Oregano, my favorite bread. That's gotta be worth at least $800,000 in emotional damage.

Don't remind me

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

LzWinky

Oh please. The McDonald's lawsuit is nothing compared to Disney's lawsuits...in general

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

SkywardLink98

Ralizah wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

unrandomsam

Anything against McDonalds is fine by me.

There was a case in the UK they lost on most of the points but I think they managed to get a few as not proven either way (Even with a £2000 an hour lawyer against people with no legal representation) that was very funny.

I think it was a grass roots campaign about healthy eating limited to one city and about 20 people. (That obviously snowballed and got lots of press coverage)

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

ToastyYogurt

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality.

Open your eyes,

Look up to the skies

I'm pretty okay.
Formerly Destroyer360, Destroyer64, DestroyerInsertYourFavoriteRandomNumbersHere.
"Purple is a color." - Waluigi
Wait, quotes should be meaningful? Ugh, fine.
"I'm useless, but not for long. The future is coming on." - Gorillaz

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4642-6622 | Nintendo Network ID: ToastyYogurtTime

LzWinky

ToastyYogurt wrote:

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality.

Open your eyes,

Look up to the skies

I press the stop button. Don't sue me.

SkywardLink98

WaLzgi wrote:

ToastyYogurt wrote:

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality.

Open your eyes,

Look up to the skies

C-c-c-combo breaker!

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

Undead_terror

SkywardLink98 wrote:

WaLzgi wrote:

ToastyYogurt wrote:

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality.

Open your eyes,

Look up to the skies

C-c-c-combo breaker!

UUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

KingMike

Has somebody yet made a Kickstarter for Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde in 1080p?

KingMike

unrandomsam

We are still due an Urban Champion HD (The 3D Classic isn't enough. We need full 1080p).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

FishieFish

SkywardLink98 wrote:

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

This is the problem with this generation of gamers. We've all gotten WAY too caught up in graphics, frame rate, resolution and the like that we've resorted to suing, raging, and boycotting over the smallest differences compared to what the companies state that game features.

This doesn't really have to do with gamers, as (if you haven't heard of this before, I'd be really surprised) McDonald's was sued because it's coffee was too hot and it hospitalized someone. Anybody will sue anybody over anything.

That case is kind of misunderstood by the public.
The lady that split the coffee got 3rd degree burns on her lab/pelvic region, and was hospitalized for eight days, and had to undergo skin grafting.
She only wanted $20,000 to cover her medical expenses, but McDonald only offered her 800$.
The coffee the McDonalds served could cause third degree burns in 2-7 seconds. :/

"No one said you could touch."

SCRAPPER392

The guy is a freaking s***head. First of all, the game is still technically 1080p and uses image altering tricks. Second, he's not the only person in the world who bought the game, so even if he wins, he as an individual is not entitled to $5 million dollars.

It depends on where he bought it. If wherever he bought it offers a refund for that item, then he's automatically screwed. It is fact that 1 man is not entitled to a $5 million settlement from a game that was sold to however many people, The guy's an idiot, and he should feel bad.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.