Forums

Topic: should i get a ps3 or a xbox 360 pros and cons of each system

Posts 1 to 20 of 36

dsijared

i like halo but infamous looks so good i am just torn:

Flipnote Studios ID - Jared, aka the person that copies everyones flipnotes and actually gets it to the top of the charts!
NOT associated with Jared the subway guy.

y2josh

Can't tell you what you would like better. I would maybe find a friend or two with one or one of each and see which you prefer. I like the PS3 better, but the 360 does have more games to choose from. I'm going to be getting another 360 soon myself to play with a couple friends from my town online.

Edited on by y2josh

y2josh

odd69

I never got a xbox 360 because the hardware isnt reliable. But the software is worth it.Then again if you buy a ps3 you'll get free online gaming. I have one and i am VERY happy. Since i only have a ps3 and Wii would it be bias of me to say ps3?

my wii number: 8754-9981-5119-6538
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles number: 1290-4359-9435
PlayStationNetworkID: odd69

KDR_11k

You played Halo before reaching that conclusion? I found it completely uninteresting.

I don't have both systems (I'm not Cresus) so I can only comment on what the 360 has:

• It's only 200€ (well, "only" for this generation, last gen that was pretty expensive).
  • The sign-up process for XBL takes forever, I spent maybe two hours with all the different forms and contracts before I could redeem that XBLA points card and get SotN.
  • The Pro only comes with a wireless controller, if you're close enough to the system that you could use a wired one you'll have to buy one separately if you want to avoid the hassle of batteries. Fortunately I had a wired 360 controller for my PC already.
  • It uses an ethernet cable instead of wireless. Since it's not portable that shouldn't be a real issue and I think I'm getting better performance with wired hardware than WiFi which I really appreciate.
  • Online play requires extra money. If you only see yourself as a casual online player that pretty much means the system has no online outside of downloading games.
  • Unless you have an HDTV better stay away, the usability guidelines for the system apparently don't include "font must be readable at SD resolutions", many games have TINY fonts that cause eyestrain even on an HDTV and become a blurry mess at SD resolutions.
  • Avoid the Arcade version, the Pro is the only one you should care about. The Elite doesn't seem to offer much over it.
  • If you have a good PC the system may be unnecessary as almost all cross-platform games (which form the vast majority of the game library) are on the PC too and due to the popularity of xPSes on the system the mouselook on the PC makes a massive difference.
  • Games are freaking expensive. 70€ is the regular price and pricedrops are so rare you feel like you're on the Gamecube (not quite as bad as first party games on the Wii but at least those are 40-50€).
  • Points cards are available at retail so there's no need to have a credit card to get XBLA games.
  • Harddrive installs are possible but not necessary, AFAIK they only reduce seek times much, not the actual loading speed. Means short loads go faster while long ones don't. Some games use HDD caching anyway so the install is unnecessary. Still improves some games like Earth Defense Force 2017.
  • Oh, right, it has Earth Defense Force 2017.
  • Almost every game seems to be monochrome with the colors going from brown to gray. Also games have a curious tendency to demand dual analog stick aim which sucks. Not the fault of the system, the developers just seem pants-on-head retarded in that respect.
  • Button names are a bit strange if you're used to the SNES but not that hard, it's just flipped.
  • The shoulder buttons are actually called trigger and button, no need to remember whether they started counting at the top or the bottom and where the "third shoulder button" is (the PS2 calls the a-stick clicks L3 and R3...).
  • XBLA is decent. I rank it lower than WiiWare but that seems to be a general point of dispute. Everybody seems to agree WW and XBLA are better than PSN though. Prices are fairly high since they're stepped in 5€ increments and 15€ is a common price. Dual analog shoot em ups (you know, like Geometry Wars) are too common and control better with a mouse or Wiimote.

This is the European perspective of course, I hear many things are different in the US, for example Nintendo uses those indestructible plastic cases for hardware instead of cardboard boxes that can be opened without the use of explosives.

Raincoat whore!

odd69

One more thing, everyone complains how the ps3 is a great piece of hardware but lacks of software. I really can't justify,but i find that just isnt true.

KDR_11k

Which part isn't true, that it's great hardware or that it has no software? Or both?

Raincoat whore!

odd69

@KDR_11k I meant lacking in the software department. I admit with only 1 year of having it ,there has been alot of software updates and all that. About the PSN, i think it's a tad bit better than the competition(besides the virtual console). With games like Fat princess and upcoming games such as Trine who needs 60$ retail games.

Edited on by odd69

Bahamut_ZERO

PS3. At this point, no contest. Ask me a year or two ago and it would have been different. But with amazing software for the past year and a half (more coming), reliable hardware, and a price cut possibly coming August 18th, the only reason to get a 360 is for:

Superior controller (particularly for FPS), Halo, Gears, RPGs, superior downloadable service, better overall online (though you have to pay).

Really though, it costs the same for the full experience (Pro + Wireless Adaptor), and with the soon-to-be price cut, PS3 will be cheaper.

For the record, I own a 360 and not a PS3, however at this point know the PS3 is superior. It got off slow, but really caught up.

Bahamut_ZERO

The_Fox

I'd recommend a 360. It's the better system all around in my opinion. I've yet to see anything that really interests me in the PS3. As for the PS3 price cut, well that's all speculation. Odds are if the PS3 does it, you'll see the 360 do the same. It's a trend that happens every console cycle.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

LzWinky

360 is cheaper and better than PS3 in my opinion

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

How much is the price drop for the PS3?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

odd69

,i've already spent my 400$ on my ps3. Was it worth 400$ i'd say yes because i use it for a blueray player as well ,so i got my money out of it. For those who paid 500 plus well, thats a tad extreme for me personally. I waited till the first price cut before buying a ps3. Sony is very high on their hardware but atleased we know it can be trusted.
Im going to eventually get a 360, and i'll never have to worry about missing out on anything!!

Corbs

Xbox 360 has a bit more variety and a great Live Arcade to boot.

Plain old gamer :)

TwilightV

Get a 360. Almost everything worth getting on the PS3 is also available on the PSP.

TwilightV

fudgenuts

I plan on getting a PS3 once there's a price cut. Not for a lot of the games, but for Linux.

Leap before you think!
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/samsam12
My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/fudgenuts64

KDR_11k

Bahamut+ZERO wrote:

Really though, it costs the same for the full experience (Pro + Wireless Adaptor)

Full experience? Does the wireless adapter do something amazing that a sufficiently long ethernet cable doesn't?

Raincoat whore!

Adam

Yes, it prevents you from having a ridiculously long cable running along the floor between rooms. I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand that some users do have a practical need for wireless, even if it's not necessary for everyone. And if you do need / want it, it's way overpriced.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

KDR_11k

Can't you just buy a wireless bridge for cheaper then?

Raincoat whore!

Adam

Maybe? I wouldn't know. Both systems I own have wireless built in, so I fortunately haven't had to bother.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.