Forums

Topic: Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

Posts 1 to 20 of 52

shingi_70

http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Windows_Weekly_233
http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/233

The Source is Paul Thurott a Notable Windows Evangalist. He Broke Both the Windows 8 news and Windows phone news and got to play with them before they were announced. Dude has crazy sources from Microsoft and gets to play with stuff so he can work on his books before.

Codenamed TEN, is all about Metro, embedded Silverlight and an Apple-like integration with Windows and Windows Phone

Im listening right now and will update when they get to that part.

This Lines up with the leaked Microsoft product line up. The Xbox 360 also had a similar release date. This also goes in hand with Windows 8 launch next year and the three screen Metro design strategy.

(also unrelated note, but the xbox Metro preview should start Tomorrow and im not sure if im allowed to post pics or video here.)

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

CanisWolfred

I never heard of Windows Weekly, but just supposing it is true, I'd certainly be interested to see what it can do. Not that I'd get it or anything - not until they work out the kinks.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

Oddy wrote:

If this is true, the Wii U might be dead on arrival.

Probably Not. This puts Sony in the worst position. Its a reverse dreamcast situation.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Odnetnin

Well yeah, unless Sony's new console comes out within a year of "Ten." But really it seems to be about the hardware and Wii U and PS3 are pretty much going to be equals, so Sony and Nintendo will both be in a bad position. Sony has the Vita launching too, which gives them more to play with.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

shingi_70

Unless the Vita fails.

Also we still don't know how powerful the Wii U is. Most reports are saying that right now its as powerful as the PS3 and those aren't final Dev kits yet.

And Power doesn't matter if Next gen is similar to the Cube/xbox/PS2 gen.

WAT!

CaPPa

Oddy wrote:

Well yeah, unless Sony's new console comes out within a year of "Ten." But really it seems to be about the hardware and Wii U and PS3 are pretty much going to be equals, so Sony and Nintendo will both be in a bad position. Sony has the Vita launching too, which gives them more to play with.

I think that actually puts the WiiU and PS3 in a good position regardless of Microsoft's hardware as cross platform games will be easier across those platforms. The PS3 would actually dictate the games as it'd be the lowest spec console.

shingi_70 wrote:

Also we still don't know how powerful the Wii U is. Most reports are saying that right now its as powerful as the PS3 and those aren't final Dev kits yet.

Most devs have in fact said that they'd put the WiiU at being about 50% more powerful than the PS3; so it could actually exceed that as they've been working off early dev kits. It should (if true) put the WiiU in a fairly strong position and it shouldn't get left out by 3rd parties like the Wii did.

Other than Windows 8 intergration (which was long rumoured), we don't know much about the direction of Microsoft's next console. Some said it would have graphics like 'Avatar' (unlikely as who is going to make games that cost $200 million), but with their recent focus on Kinect casual/family gaming it could even be that TEN is the age of the gamers that they are targeting. I'll wait for some actual details before proclaiming this is the end for Sony or Nintendo.

CaPPa

shingi_70

CaPPa wrote:

Oddy wrote:

I think that actually puts the WiiU and PS3 in a good position regardless of Microsoft's hardware as cross platform games will be easier across those platforms. The PS3 would actually dictate the games as it'd be the lowest spec console.

I have to disagree. With Windows 8 Xbox Live will become truly cross platform. it gives the scent that it could become the a fully realized steam.

If anything this puts Sony in a worst position. Even this late into Generation the PS3 is still a pain to develop for and is almost never the lead Platform or the superior game.. Now you have two more powerful systems that are easier to develop for than the odd man out.

Even if the PS4 drops in 2013 and is another massive leap of tech, they still have a problem. What Niche can they carve out. The xbox will have the western market cover =ed and Japan has Nintendo with alot of interchange.

WAT!

NX01Trekkie1992

I doubt the release date, Mircosoft has repeatedly stated that the 360 is planned to last them until 2014, but then again, plans change and we'll see

NX01Trekkie1992

shingi_70

YashaTheSlayer wrote:

I doubt the release date, Mircosoft has repeatedly stated that the 360 is planned to last them until 2014, but then again, plans change and we'll see

That was before Microsot got cozy with integration and the Metro Language.

Windows Phone 7
Untitled

Windows 8 tablets
Untitled

new xbox
Untitled

xbox.com
Untitled

Makes sense when the new xbox is rumored to be running Windows 8 and xbox games will be cross compatible.

WAT!

Bankai

Even this late into Generation the PS3 is still a pain to develop for and is almost never the lead Platform or the superior game

lolwhat. Japanese developers say hi.

(if you missed the point here: Square Enix and Tecmo Koei are the most obvious examples, but almost always Japanese games are developed for the PS3 first and foremost).

shingi_70

kkslider5552000 wrote:

just what we need, more rushed console launches!

May not be launched. A few studios pretty much confirmed they had next Gen dev kids already.

WAT!

LordTendoboy

Sony is going to rush the PS4 out so they can beat Microsoft and Nintendo's new hardware. It will be like the Xbox 360 launch all over again. Defective hardware everywhere.

We'll see how things go. I think Microsoft and Nintendo are going to keep their old systems around for a few years after the new hardware releases. It worked well for Sony.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

LordTendoboy

shingi_70 wrote:

YashaTheSlayer wrote:

That was before Microsot got cozy with integration and the Metro Language.

Windows Phone 7
Untitled

Windows 8 tablets
Untitled

new xbox
Untitled

xbox.com
Untitled

Makes sense when the new xbox is rumored to be running Windows 8 and xbox games will be cross compatible.

The 360 will still be around after the new console is out. Sony kept the PS2 around for years after the PS3 launched. A "10-year lifecycle" means the total amount of time the hardware is on the market. The NES had a 9-year lifecycle before it was officially canned (1985-1994)

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

CanisWolfred

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Sony is going to rush the PS4 out so they can beat Microsoft and Nintendo's new hardware.

Except Sony's never Rushed a launch before and I don't see how there'd be any benefit in doing so.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Magi

Arghhh...I'm not ready for more consoles yet! I finally just jumped on the PS3 bandwagon! I would love to be able to say that I was taking a break from the next gen since there is still so much left to do with the current consoles but I know that won't happen.

@YellowChocobo I would have guessed that the Japanese companies develop for the PS3 because they want sales. I thought the PS3 was a much better selling machine in Japan than the 360.

Magi

LzWinky

YellowChocobo wrote:

Even this late into Generation the PS3 is still a pain to develop for and is almost never the lead Platform or the superior game

lolwhat. Japanese developers say hi.

(if you missed the point here: Square Enix and Tecmo Koei are the most obvious examples, but almost always Japanese games are developed for the PS3 first and foremost).

Somehow this sounds like circular logic considering the PS3 is a Japanese system

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Knux

Even if it launches next year, there is no way I am buying a new Microsoft console at launch. The last thing I need is another RROD.

Knux

shingi_70

[quote="YashaTheSlayer"]

tendoboy1984 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

The 360 will still be around after the new console is out. Sony kept the PS2 around for years after the PS3 launched. A "10-year lifecycle" means the total amount of time the hardware is on the market. The NES had a 9-year lifecycle before it was officially canned (1985-1994)

Well that's a given. The thing is you can emulate the Metro look on the 360 but, it uses a lot of legacy code and the intergration isn't a good.

Samething Sony and Nintendo have been running into when it comes too connecting consoles to portables.

WAT!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.