Forums

Topic: RPGs of 2016: The Retconning

Posts 21 to 34 of 34

CanisWolfred

@JaxonH Honestly, ReCore seemed to have been panned for shoddy optimization and an abundance of glitches more than anything else. I think I'd enjoy it, after an extensive set of patches.

Also, I go to RPGFan a lot, and quite a few regs over there were big fans of the Star Ocean series. None of them had anything good to say about it, even after forcing their way through the entire game. So yeah, I don't think I'll even consider touching it when I already felt like Star Ocean 1-4 were B-grade Tales-wannabes rife with bad ideas, blatantly misinformative advertising, and poor balancing, saved only by their interesting combat that begs you to take their systems and break them over your knee. Though, Star Ocean: The Last Hope was so B-Grade that it quickly fell into "so bad it's good" territory. I quite enjoyed that one, at least.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

The only 2016 RPG I've played this year is Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS), which I liked, but have yet to finish.

I decided to take a break from it after some extensive grinding, and ever since I can't bring myself to take Smash out of my 3DS, so I can't get back to it, lol.

I've played a couple others, but they aren't 2016 releases.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

LzWinky

Speaking of Dragon Quest, how do I get the Vita version when it gets released this month? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

JaxonH

@TheLZdragon
Dragon Quest Builders [Vita] will be available via download only in the west.

However, if you want a retail release, do what I did and just preorder the Asian boxed version from Play-Asia, which has an English dub and subs just like the digital western release.

http://www.play-asia.com/dragon-quest-builders-alefgard-o-fuk...

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

LzWinky

I keep forgetting that Playstations are region-free

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Grumblevolcano

@TheLZdragon Correction: The games are region free, any DLC is region locked.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

LzWinky

What? Way to be far behind Sony!

I'm guessing I can only download the American DLC. Will it work on a Japanese game?

Edited on by LzWinky

Grumblevolcano

@TheLZdragon Basically the DLC and disc/download regions have to be the same. So for example if you bought a PS4 game in the UK and bought the DLC for that game with your US account then the game wouldn't recognize the DLC.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

LzWinky

Oh...so can I download...nah forget it. I'll just get the digital version. I doubt I could get much back for a Vita game

Ralizah

So we're just calling everything an RPG now if it has stats or other RPG elements now, right?
Might as well add Call of Duty to the list.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Tried playing on my Vita. Got 20 or so hours in, but honestly, I was bored to tears and quit.

Fire Emblem: Fates Birthright

It's a pretty fun game. I own the special edition, and while Birthright is the only Fates game I've played so far, I'm looking forward to digging into classic/hard Conquest. This one has a bit of a dull plot, but the character interactions/gameplay refinements/etc. made it a lot of fun.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

I've invested 75 hours in this game so far. Absolutely one of most polished and fun JRPGs I've ever played. I'm not entirely on-board with the lack of any real atmosphere and anime tropes, but the gameplay is amazing and addictive, the characters are fun, and, well, I do have a soft spot in my heart for "power of friendship" stories like in this game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

So we're just calling everything an RPG now if it has stats or other RPG elements now, right?
Might as well add Call of Duty to the list.

I'm only using this as a continuation of a dead thread without actually drudging up something that clearly went off-topic ages ago. People already argued with him over that, along with all the games he supposedly left off the list. In fact, I have seen far too many threads get derailed over such an argument, despite it ultimately being semantics. If you genuinely feel like the statistical nature of a game has a meaningful impact on how the game plays, then it's an RPG within the context of this discussion. What's far more important is what you have to say about it that otherwise adheres to this topic. I would appreciate it if you, and others keep that in mind.

Oh, but the "no GOTYs of games from last year" still applies. I'm adding that to the first post when I get a chance.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Outside of finishing up Undertale, I'm not sure I've played an RPG this year. This is a failure on my part. Entirely.

Partially blame not playing many video games the past 2 years, partially blame the 2 big 3DS JRPGs I got (Bravely Default and SMT4) disappointing me (though I likely didn't get deep enough into SMT 4 to really judge it).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.