Forums

Topic: PSP: get the 3000 or Go?

Posts 21 to 39 of 39

longtimegamer

GO! Right now! Leave.

Seriously though. I think the psp would be a better deal (though I haven't played th Go). You could resell your games (or trade them) on the reg. PSP, but not the Go. Plus you can already download with a psp.

3ds fc: 1247-0003-1095
MK Fc: 2793- 3370-8506
Wii Fc: 7382-7314-0404-2194
Fiance Wendy's MK FC:(Same system) 4854-9224-0913
Uno FC: 1849-3080-8612
Overturn FC: 3266-3672-0977
Animal Crossing CF FC: 3094-5964-6068 Name: LTGamer, town: Wiitopia.

"NO SOU...

99er

Here's the interesting thing regarding the Go (at least in my area), since the idea is to "cut out the middleman" (ie. GameStop, Futureshop, Walmart etc...) those stores are reluctant on selling the product. the EB Games in my city doesn't even carry them and they don't have the intention of doing so either.

99er

cangelo

turtlelink wrote:

It depends. The 3000 will allow you to play more games, but the Go has the (outstanding) pause feature where you can pause the game at any time, play another game, then go back to your other game. (See what i am saying?)

You can do that on my PSP 2000 as well on downloaded games. So that is not a plus for the Go. Get the 3000 and you'll be happy

cangelo

Flandy

Odnetnin wrote:

The Go is simply too expensive at the moment to justify a purchase. You'd be better off with a PS3. The 3000, on the other hand, is a great system, and worth the money.

Flandy

WildPidgeyAppears

Having had a PSP 3000, it is a decent system, but my beef was that many of the PSPs I'd had before it had dead pixels, and the screens scratch WAY too easily (I'm very OCD about scratches and pixel displays). If I were you, and you're anything like me, I'd wait until they fixed those two issues.

Dear Sega and Nintendo: a Sonichu game would totally rock, make it happen!
Backloggery

sykotek

@firecookie29: Yea, you don't get to join in on the good promotions in Europe, but Sony just announced they'll give downloads of LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank and Socom3 to anyone in the US who buys a PSPgo from now until next year, too bad for early adopters, Sony says for you to suck it(me and anyone else in the US who owns a go already). Most likely, all you need to do to qualify is, buy a PSPgo from a reputable retailer from now on, update it to the latest firmware, create or import your PSN account and wait a month for them to send you the codes via e-mail.

@WildPidgeyAppears: I'm kinda OCD too, but I don't hear too much about dead pixel problems anymore and I certainly don't experience them, sure I had some for my original PSP, but not since and I have 3 units counting the go. I got in the habit of buying polycarbonate faces for my PSP systems, my GoW 2000 has a case from, I thnk, Psyclone and my go has a Hori polycarbonate clear front and back case I bought from play-asia. You can't wait on Sony to fix those issues because they're not going to.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

firecookie29

@sykotek and everyone else: I've decided to get a PSP3000. I reserved it last Saturday (sorry guys). This thread might be usefull to those who are still choosing. We should keep commenting and sharing our thoughts on the two systems.

Flipnote Hatena command: <YR>BYXY
Mario vs DK 3 FC: 4125 2421 4355
MORE FC COMING SOON!

WildPidgeyAppears

sykotek wrote:

@firecookie29: Yea, you don't get to join in on the good promotions in Europe, but Sony just announced they'll give downloads of LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank and Socom3 to anyone in the US who buys a PSPgo from now until next year, too bad for early adopters, Sony says for you to suck it(me and anyone else in the US who owns a go already). Most likely, all you need to do to qualify is, buy a PSPgo from a reputable retailer from now on, update it to the latest firmware, create or import your PSN account and wait a month for them to send you the codes via e-mail.

@WildPidgeyAppears: I'm kinda OCD too, but I don't hear too much about dead pixel problems anymore and I certainly don't experience them, sure I had some for my original PSP, but not since and I have 3 units counting the go. I got in the habit of buying polycarbonate faces for my PSP systems, my GoW 2000 has a case from, I thnk, Psyclone and my go has a Hori polycarbonate clear front and back case I bought from play-asia. You can't wait on Sony to fix those issues because they're not going to.

Sony? Fixing problems? HA HA HA

I'm going to get some extra cash this summer and I might use some of that to buy a new PSP.

A word of warning to others: NEVER buy it from GS. Get it at Walmart. They offer a 2-year replacement plan that far exceeds the cruddy GS plan.

Dear Sega and Nintendo: a Sonichu game would totally rock, make it happen!
Backloggery

Adam

Certainly not the best PSP thread to post this in, but for some reason this forum doesn't have a basic search feature like most forums.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/08/sony-psp-go-experiment-reve...

I don't understand why Sony even felt the need to say anything. Obviously it was an experiment; it'd never been done before. No harm in that. All major electronic companies, Nintendo too, have their good and bad experiments.

But their conclusions are so obviously contrived. People love physical media? Maybe, but that's not it. PSN is popular, but they priced a handheld with fewer features and fewer titles (most of which have delayed release dates compared to retail without any discounted price) at a higher price point.

Great idea, worst possible execution. I'd love an all digital handheld, but the customer should not be put at a disadvantage in every possible way for buying it. It should be the cheapest model, not the most expensive.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

warioswoods

If anyone has the opportunity make a successful download-only gaming system, it would be Sony, because Nintendo has a considerable part of its target audience that would either be uncomfortable with buying all games electronically (many parents buying games for kids) or that would be hard to convert to the online world of purchasing (older demographics).

I'm not sure, however, how a gaming company can properly reconcile the switch to online with the need for local game stores to have a motivation to carry the device. Again, not having the device at local game stores would hurt Sony less than Nintendo, because its users are more likely to order the system online than a good portion of the Nintendo users, but it's still hard to do well without having gaming stores play some role in the promotion and selling. One may point to Apple and the App Store, but those devices are bought for other purposes; gaming devices aren't going to get out there through the channel of phone sales or music player sales, so they rely on gaming stores and other generic stores (Target, etc) for a significant part of their promotion, and I understand that the GO had limited availability at some of those outlets.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Adam

Yea, it's a shame the system gets in the way of utility. I don't know that they could have done any better, as I know Gamestop and others put major pressure on them, but releasing at an unreasonable price point with delayed releases to compensate was unfortunately not good for the customer. The technology is clearly there, just has to wait for the market to catch up, I guess, perhaps not the best way to put it.

Come on, friends,

warioswoods

Maybe they need to mark every serial number of the units they send to each retailer, then kickback a very small percentage of the online game sales to the store at which each system was bought. So, if I bought the GO at GameStop, they get 1% profit, or something like that, from every download sale on that device. Sort of like assuming that the customer went to the same store to buy all their games, so that the stores have a huge incentive to get them out there (and even to run deals to entice consumers to pick it up at their store rather than a competitor).

I'm sure that's full of logical holes and false economic assumptions, but maybe they could work something out to make it more appealing to retailers.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Bankai

I'm not 100 per cent sure Sony even wanted the PSPgo to sell. I dicussed it briefly in my blog: http://gamesandbiz.blogspot.com/2010/06/pspgo-successful-desp... but I see the PSPgo as being more a piece of R&D that they let into the public to get feedback on, from the media and early adopters, than as a console they wanted people to buy.

I feel Sony realised the first steps into digital-only platforms would have its share of bugs, and rather than risk turning the mainstream off the format entirely with a product that's not quite there, the company decided to do testing on the early adopters, who are still going to buy the next toy that hits the market. The solution? Price it so only early adopters will buy it, leave the PSP for the regular consumers, and let the feedback roll in while developing the PSPgo 2, which will target everyone.

Infernape1000

Neither. Save your cash for a handheld with actual games...

Edited on by Infernape1000

Twitter - Infernape1000
Youtube - Infernape1000

Adam

But the Go already has a terrible rep. You don't think that'll affect consumer perception of a Go 2? I hope you're right though. If there were a Go 2 revealed at E3 at a reasonable price, I'd be a happy camper. All those strategy games at my finger tips... Whoops, sorry for drooling.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Bankai

weirdadam wrote:

But the Go already has a terrible rep. You don't think that'll affect consumer perception of a Go 2? I hope you're right though. If there were a Go 2 revealed at E3 at a reasonable price, I'd be a happy camper.

Sony has never had the greatest reputation, so no I don't think they'd be concerned with the damage the Go would cause. Besides that, the only people that bought the Go were the early adopters, and they'll still buy the next Sony toy, regardless of reputation (for the most part).

Adam

Hmm, that's true. PS3 got dumped on a heck of a lot for its first couple years, but lately it's been popular after the cheaper Slim models (and of course the games). In retrospect, I don't see why the same couldn't happen for the Go if they released a new model.

Come on, friends,

ChaosValentine

Question,

Im looking to replace my PSP 2000 and ive pretty much ruled out the Go ( To many games to replace by downloading, not all of them are even up >.>)

My question is, Ive heard about Issues with the 3000 screen. Scanlines and such, Is this true? would I be better off trying to find another PSP 2000?

Mario Vs DK: Mini's March Again FC: 2536-1302-1333

sykotek

As a go owner, yea, don't bother, it doesn't sound like Sony is planning on throwing any support behind the thing. I don't know about scan lines on the 3000; I have every PSP except the 3000, but I heard that there is color bleeding on the 3000. It is likely an issue that has gone unresolved. Looking for a 2000 is probably easier said than done, well, if you're looking for a new one that is. You probably won't notice the bleeding on a 3000 unless you play a lot of slower paced games though, I'd say to get a 3000 if you must get a PSP at all or wait to see if Sony announces anything about a successor to the PSP over the next few days.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.