Forums

Topic: Doom 2016 Discussion

Posts 1 to 11 of 11

Indy83

It is amazing. Why? Why did they market it the way they did pre-release? It looked like moronic garbage.

I don't know why it took ID and others so long to realize the strain of design that cropped up around the seventh generation was worthless, but thank Gunpei they decided to ditch it and pick up where things left off, but with the power of modern technology. I can only hope this is a sign of whats to come.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

Indy83

DefHalan

My biggest problems with the new Doom (from what I have seen since my computer can't run it) was the melee kill animations and a focus on violence over level design and "puzzles"

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Indy83

DefHalan wrote:

My biggest problems with the new Doom (from what I have seen since my computer can't run it) was the melee kill animations and a focus on violence over level design and "puzzles"

That would be the problems EVERYONE had because the god awful marketing made it look like that was the focus. I was a HUGE DOOM 2016 detractor because of how that marketing portrayed the game. And I don't go back on something unless I know it was wrong.

I guess the MOD changing of the title from one specifically about letting everyone know the marketing of the game COMPLETELY failed to convey what the game was actually about...To a generic 'Doom discussion thread' would in fact leave people, once again, completely in the dark about how the game is nothing like it has been marketed.

Context and comprehension, does anyone understand it here? I mean, whatever, if "DOOM 2016 Is not actually Butt Butter" makes the mods uncomfortable then CHANGE IT, but don't change the context of what was being said.

Anyways, this is what 2016 doom is ACTUALLY like:

Untitled

Edited on by Indy83

Indy83

Peek-a-boo

Trouble is, in a such a short space of time, we have had Dark Souls III, Ratchet & Clank and now Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

I would rather play the above three than DOOM, even though this game has been receiving lots of positive impressions, especially the single player... which admittedly surprised me!

Once the dust has settled, and the game drops in price, I shall eventually buy (and play) it.

It is rather nice to know that the PlayStation 4 version runs at 1080p and 60fps.

Peek-a-boo

Indy83

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Trouble is, in a such a short space of time, we have had Dark Souls III, Ratchet & Clank and now Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

Trouble is eating a super grease burrito from taco bell and then getting caught in traffic for two hours trying to just go 3 miles to your house.

An overabundance of games you want to play just sounds like a pleasant situation to be in.

I would rather play the above three than DOOM, even though this game has been receiving lots of positive impressions, especially the single player... which admittedly surprised me!

RIGHT? Practically no one saw this coming.... Because of the way the marketing portrayed the game. Multi is still a butt smoothie, but who cares. Nobody bought doom for multi.

Once the dust has settled, and the game drops in price, I shall eventually buy (and play) it.
It is rather nice to know that the PlayStation 4 version runs at 1080p and 60fps.

Well, I wasnt planning on getting a ps4 until the Last guardian came out... And then getting a bunch of titles from the bargain bin with it... But after playing this, and it being 1080p and 60... It looks like I am going to be amending my previous plans.

Edited on by Indy83

Indy83

6ch6ris6

i would like to try the game one day but these stupid kill animations are horrible. and i heared you can turn them off entirely but it makes the game harder because you have to use more ammo

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Indy83

6ch6ris6 wrote:

i would like to try the game one day but these stupid kill animations are horrible. and i heared you can turn them off entirely but it makes the game harder because you have to use more ammo

Yeah, thats the way all videos leading up to release made the game look. Great title change Mod. (Thats sarcasm, it was a horrible title change that completely defeated the purpose of letting people know DOOM 2016 is NOTHING like its marketing made it look) That was the big problem, you had ID, literally screaming, to the point of being cringeworthy about how much this was designed like classic doom, and then Bethseda's/Zenimax garbage marketing videos made it look like that was clearly not true, like they were wither completely oblivious to what doom used to be, or complete liars. Thank Kaz it turned out to be the marketing was garbage that was unrepresentative of the actual game.

Its DOOM, there is not exactly a shortage of ammo, or guns. So, no, it's not harder if you don't use/turn off melee.

But really the melee animations are nowhere near as bad as they were made to look in the marketing leading up to the release.

Before release they showed these slowed down kill animations that completely broke the flow of the gameplay and they made it seem like you had to use the finishing animations to keep expendables replenished.

None of that is actually true, if you watch the video of actual undoctored gameplay I provided, the melee kills are super fast, and do not break the flow of the buttery smooth DOOM movement in the slightest, they really fit into the gameplay loop seamlessly. On top of that, the enemies drop replenishables when they are overkilled ie gibbed. This happens everytime you do a melee kill, but it is also accomplished if you hit them with enough firepower damage when they are about to die.... And with classic powerups like quad damage, haste, berserker etc, littered in the nooks and crannies of the maps like it was straight out of ultimate doom... It flows like wine.

In short, all the videos you saw leading up to release, were fake doctored/modded versions of the game, probably made that way because zenimax marketing was desperately afraid the worst generation wouldn't understand real doom, and incompetent reviewers would shart their pants before they ever bothered to learn how to play.

Indy83

NinjaWaddleDee

I can't wait to play this game. I'll be waiting a bit though because I just got Uncharted 4 and Battleborn. And then I have a couple RPG games pre ordered that come out this month and the next.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Peek-a-boo

@Indy83 Only just finished this.

If somebody told me at the beginning of this year that DOOM was going to be sitting alongside Uncharted 4 as the best game of the year, I would have pointed and laughed at you.

The crazy thing is, it does sit alongside Uncharted 4 as one of the the best game of the year!

I think this game has killed my desire to play another FPS this year, purely because the buttery smooth 60fps is absolutely exceptional. Even with twenty variety of demons chasing after you, be them big or small, the frame rate is still rock solid.

And the visuals are very, very good too. Better than Halo 5: Guardians if you ask me.

My only complaint is that the last trip to Hell wasn't quite as fresh as the first two times, and was lacking the 'blood and guts' walls and interior of the original DOOM game. The last trip to Hell should be unsettling and horrific, not provoking a sense of familiarly within the environment.

For those of you who have completed the game:

... seeing Samuel walk away with the red glowly key-sword-thing and saying that he is 'not the villain, and is just doing what is right' made me think, 'oh, so you ARE the villain then!'

I do wonder where the Doom Slayer will end up next, after being teleported away from the UAC facility.

It's the most pure FUN game I have played in years! I am tempted to replay it all over again to try and find those well hidden secrets.

And it takes a rather special game to have me replaying this so soon too.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

I only played the demo, but I was extremely impressed. The gameplay is brutal, fast, and incredibly satisfying. I need to get this game sooner than later.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

jdoll

the game is amazing i play on xbox one graphics and soundtrack and game play online or single player story mode its all so darn good!

jdoll

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.