Forums

Topic: PS Vita TV announced. (Oyua am cry)

Posts 221 to 238 of 238

Socar

I don't get the point of this. why would anyone want a device that plays ps vita, psn or ps1 on tv? I can agree with ps1 but this ruins the ps vita brand because vita is a portable device. I don't understand it. Atleast in the case of Nintendo's 2DS, they atleast made it still portable and cheap.

I doubt this would help sony outsell the 3DS at all. Maybe it will help for those who can't afford a vita but not by much.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Artwark wrote:

I don't get the point of this. why would anyone want a device that plays ps vita, psn or ps1 on tv? I can agree with ps1 but this ruins the ps vita brand because vita is a portable device. I don't understand it. Atleast in the case of Nintendo's 2DS, they atleast made it still portable and cheap.

I doubt this would help sony outsell the 3DS at all. Maybe it will help for those who can't afford a vita but not by much.

Points to all the people clamouring for 3DS games on Wii U You really think there's no market for portable games on consoles, especially when the point of the Vita was that it had "console-quality" games on the a handheld. Plus it's cheaper than almost any other console while still having a large established set of games right off the bat.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Knux

ScroogeMcLz wrote:

I might be interested in this myself. I don't want to spend $400 on a console I probably will never use (like my PS3). However $100 is much more appealing.

Just to clarify, can this thing play games I bought on my PS3? I have mostly old PS1 and indie games. (Sorry if this was answered earlier)

Welcome to the dark side, Iz! You can play most Vita games (both retail and downloadable), all compatible PS1 Classics, and all PSP games that are on the Vita's PSN Store. So for $100, you're getting a very huge library for your console.

Edited on by Knux

Knux

Socar

CanisWolfred wrote:

Points to all the people clamouring for 3DS games on Wii U You really think there's no market for portable games on consoles, especially when the point of the Vita was that it had "console-quality" games on the a handheld. Plus it's cheaper than almost any other console while still having a large established set of games right off the bat.

Well look at it this way around. Handheld games are designed short so that you can put it down and do something else where as Console games are designed so you can spend hours playing. Example. Super Mario 3D land levels take about 2 minutes to complete(If you're fast enough) Play New Super Mario Bros Wii and see how hard the levels are or how hard Donkey Kong Country returns is. Its a fact that you don't want to play a handheld game on a T.V because of the game's design.

not every one spends hours playing on handhelds because of the game's design.

LzWinky

Knux wrote:

ScroogeMcLz wrote:

I might be interested in this myself. I don't want to spend $400 on a console I probably will never use (like my PS3). However $100 is much more appealing.

Just to clarify, can this thing play games I bought on my PS3? I have mostly old PS1 and indie games. (Sorry if this was answered earlier)

Welcome to the dark side, Iz! You can play most Vita games (both retail and downloadable), all compatible PS1 Classics, and all PSP games that are on the Vita's PSN Store. So for $100, you're getting a very huge library for your console.

What do you mean "welcome"? This will be my 3rd Sony system

Also, I have like $50 on my PSN account

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

shingi_70

Artwark wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Well look at it this way around. Handheld games are designed short so that you can put it down and do something else where as Console games are designed so you can spend hours playing. Example. Super Mario 3D land levels take about 2 minutes to complete(If you're fast enough) Play New Super Mario Bros Wii and see how hard the levels are or how hard Donkey Kong Country returns is. Its a fact that you don't want to play a handheld game on a T.V because of the game's design.

That's not true at all. I'd Kill to have Kid Icarus Uprising Mario 3D land on my TV.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

LzWinky

I like the idea of handheld games on TV. I think that 3DS games can work, just without the 3D

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

Artwark wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Most games I've played were designed with sleep mode in mind since the DS/PSP era. I've played action games like Syphon Filter and Daxter that had levels just as long as their console counterparts. Freakin' Kid Icarus has levels that could last, like, 30 minutes or more. I don't think a lot of good handheld games are really designed for short sessions anymore.

And Super Mario 3D Land was meant to be more like Super Mario Land games, which had short levels and were fairly easy.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

OptometristLime

Sony_70 wrote:

Artwark wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

That's not true at all. I'd Kill to have Kid Icarus Uprising Mario 3D land on my TV.

The fact that you would play Kid Icarus Uprising Mario 3D Land, is purely anecdotal and not by itself evidence of an actual trend.

Everyone would agree that optional TV play has no obvious disadvantages; the issue becomes more complex when it's elevated to console pushing status. A vintage example might be the Super Gameboy, which brought additional features and graphical flourish. It was a natural fit then, as the primitive graphics translated well in general to the big screen. Even the most beautiful 3D game on Vita (and I hate to bring in 3DS, as it would do the console a disservice) will be tested by a high resolution HD television.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

CanisWolfred

OptometristLime wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Artwark wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

The fact that you would play Kid Icarus Uprising Mario 3D Land, is purely anecdotal and not by itself evidence of an actual trend.

What evidence do you have that people don't want to play handheld games on their TVs, that isn't purely anecdotal?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SCRAPPER392

I only see this as a complimentary device for those that already have a PS Vita and/or a PS4.
I don't think it holds much value by itself. It doesn't do everything a regular Vita can, and it won't do PS4 stuff without a PS4.

Unless you live under a rock, it's pretty obvious that this thing doesn't really matter at all without the other things.

Since I don't care for what Sony's doing anyway, this makes me want to keep my distance from the PS brand even moreso.

That's just my opinion.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Socar

CanisWolfred wrote:

Artwark wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Most games I've played were designed with sleep mode in mind since the DS/PSP era. I've played action games like Syphon Filter and Daxter that had levels just as long as their console counterparts. Freakin' Kid Icarus has levels that could last, like, 30 minutes or more. I don't think a lot of good handheld games are really designed for short sessions anymore.

And Super Mario 3D Land was meant to be more like Super Mario Land games, which had short levels and were fairly easy.

Ok then how can you explain Dream Team? You can save anywhere you want. But in Skyward Sword, you have to find this statue to save. Imagine the process of saving in a handheld game stretching out like that. Nintendo games today are being as friendly as possible as they make the games possible to beat.

As for the tv thing, if people care so much about HD graphics we know that 3DS does not support HD graphics which is why Nintendo doesn't want to do that because it ruins the idea.

Because PS Vita already can run HD, it doesn't matter because the console itself supports HD.

Also this is a device that plays handheld games which are a different competition. And like I said earlier, Handheld games are designed a little different than Console games.

CanisWolfred

RPGs saving anywhere has been a thing for a while (Xenoblade lets you save anywhere). Action Adventure games having save points (Gravity Rush has save points) has been a thing for quite a while, too.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

RPGs saving anywhere has been a thing for a while (Xenoblade lets you save anywhere). Action Adventure games having save points (Gravity Rush has save points) has been a thing for quite a while, too.

I'm assuming the latter started with the Xbox Ninja Gaiden, since that's basically the first non-RPG I remember having save points like that.

Edit: Wait, Megaman Legends had it, so this has been a thing for quite some time.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Socar

I don't know what to say about this. Because in the end its games that matter not the hardware. I can't see any game for Vita that will make me want to get the vita in the first place. But 3DS gave me lots of games that I want to get the 3DS for.

In the end its all about games and that's all I can say for this.

Ralizah

I will never, for the life of me, understand this desire to play games on a TV, as I HATE being tied to TVs when I'm playing video games. HATE HATE HATE it. It's probably why I've been primarily a handheld gamer most of my life.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Eel

I am too a portable game... Then again, there's this awesome feeling when you play a game in a big tv and it looks so pretty and clear.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.