Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The PS Vita Discussion Thread

Showing 901 to 920 of 2,855

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

901. Posted:

sykotek wrote:

What the...the parts in Vita are the same as the ones in the Galaxy Nexus? Where are the sources on that? Google's top search hits come here.

Somewhat comparable, not the same.

And since this thread has become so anti-Sony, you guys will have fun with this article: http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_18342/10_PlayStation_3_E...
Apparently their doing something right! Haha
Cheers! :)

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

902. Posted:

Slapshot wrote:

And since this thread has become so anti-Sony, you guys will have fun with this article:
Apparently their doing something right! Haha
Cheers! :)

Half that list sucks - too many games that 360 owners have decent alternatives to and old games they can get on a used PS2 if they really wanted it but didn't want to shell out for an expensive PS3. Why have Killzone when you have Halo? Why bother with God of War when you have, like, a gazillion clones? Wipeout Ratchet & Clank, maybe even inFamous I can understand, but I just don't see much to be desperate about on that list.
Ooooh, back fire

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

ThomasBW84

903. Posted:

I've only read the last few pages, but it seems that quite a few people are only interested in bashing the Vita or 3DS to boost an 'argument'. It's a shame, because both are fantastic systems. If I was in my old job (which made me miserable but paid well), I would be enjoying both my 3DS and a Vita in a couple of months, because they're very different handhelds. As a student/writer, I have to limit my hardware purchases, but I nevertheless hope the Vita succeeds.

One point I would make (no doubt somebody has already said it) is that gamers should wish success on both the 3DS and Vita. Handheld consoles are facing a real challenge from smartphones, and I don't believe that either Nintendo or Sony can maintain a handheld business if the other drops out. A short-sighted view may be to think 'if Vita fails, 3DS wins', but if either fails it only further discredits the very idea of dedicated gaming handhelds to the general public. Enthusiastic gamers like us are a minority, while the majority who buy a 3DS or Vita do so as consumers simply seeking entertainment. It's tough to convince some of these people that they need a handheld console, so Sony and Nintendo are facing a big challenge (though they may both succeed).

3DS and Vita are both needed to stop tablets and smartphones obliterating handheld consoles, so maybe we should just say, 'everyone buy the handheld right for them, and keep on gaming'.

Editor - Nintendo Life

Currently playing (3DS) - EMBARGOED (again)
Currently playing (Wii U) - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Currently playing (PS3) - Bioshock Infinite
Currently playing (Vita) - Thomas Was Alone

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3469-6599 | Nintendo Network ID: ThomasBW84 | Twitter: ThomasBW84

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

904. Posted:

@Tom: who said you could post things encouraging people to purchase and play whatever interests them?! how dare you bring your common sense and/or Earth logic up in here? :O :O :O

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

905. Posted:

Killzone 3 takes up 45 GB? Holy ****!

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

906. Posted:

ThomasBW84 wrote:

'if Vita fails, 3DS wins', but if either fails it only further discredits the very idea of dedicated gaming handhelds to the general public.

You do realize that the video game industry has a long history of failed handhelds: Sega Game Gear, TurboExpress, Game.com, NeoGeo Pocket / Pocket Color, N-Gage, PSP, etc. Despite this, Nintendo proved that there was still a viable market for handheld systems.

Nintendo dominated the handheld market for the past 20 years, and very few companies found the success that Nintendo had. Yes phones may be getting more gaming capabilities, but there will always be a market for gaming systems. After all, the PC didn't kill off home consoles, and the original DS line persevered even though the iPod Touch, iPhone, and other smartphones posed a major threat.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

907. Posted:

@LordTendoboy

Not a fair comparasion at all. Pc gaming didn't kill consoles due to rising costs,piracy, and lack of local mutiplayer.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

sykotek

908. Posted:

I dunno, I was a console gaming diehard, but after the whole PSN hacking debacle, my consoles, especially my PS3, have gotten a lot less use and I've since converted to Steam. I'm feeling PC games through Steam are gaining more and more traction every day and since the future is supposedly cloud based, I feel like consoles are finally on the way out.

Nintendo has been king of handhelds since they introduced the Game Boy. While I don't foresee not owning a portable gaming handheld in the future, I don't foresee me purchasing a Wii U and there's been nothing that has been shown thus far that make Vita worth buying to me.

...so what is everyone's most anticipated Vita game, the only one on my radar is Wipeout, but I've always had a soft spot for Wipeout. Shame they're already considering nickel and diming people on game modes (I read elsewhere).

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

909. Posted:

Not so much consoles are on the way out but more so retail games. Consoles and handhelds will stay and if anything games will go digital only. Lets hope not though.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

ThomasBW84

910. Posted:

LordTendoboy wrote:

ThomasBW84 wrote:

'if Vita fails, 3DS wins', but if either fails it only further discredits the very idea of dedicated gaming handhelds to the general public.

You do realize that the video game industry has a long history of failed handhelds: Sega Game Gear, TurboExpress, Game.com, NeoGeo Pocket / Pocket Color, N-Gage, PSP, etc. Despite this, Nintendo proved that there was still a viable market for handheld systems.

Nintendo dominated the handheld market for the past 20 years, and very few companies found the success that Nintendo had. Yes phones may be getting more gaming capabilities, but there will always be a market for gaming systems. After all, the PC didn't kill off home consoles, and the original DS line persevered even though the iPod Touch, iPhone, and other smartphones posed a major threat.

I'd like to agree that there'll always be a market for dedicated gaming handhelds, though if the 3DS and/or Vita struggle, it will become a much smaller market, I believe. Industry analysts are already saying that a DS level of sales is very unlikely to happen again, as some of the consumers have already walked away from handheld consoles. Nintendo (and Sony) are hoping to sustain a solid level of sales, but the levels from a few years ago are already a distant hope.

I don't really think the DS comparison works as the app market, not to mention the capabilities and popularity of smartphones, have exploded in the last couple of years. Even a few years ago many people still had bog-standard mobile phones, but now smartphones rule the roost, particularly since Android joined the party. The iPad, and its various tablet competitors, also didn't exist in the DS days. Of course plenty of handhelds crashed and burned in the 90s, but the landscape is very different now.

My main point is that bickering between gamers is frustrating. I know not everyone is doing it, but considering the challenges that Nintendo and Sony face, willing one or the other to fail at the expense of the other is a foolish enterprise.

Editor - Nintendo Life

Currently playing (3DS) - EMBARGOED (again)
Currently playing (Wii U) - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Currently playing (PS3) - Bioshock Infinite
Currently playing (Vita) - Thomas Was Alone

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3469-6599 | Nintendo Network ID: ThomasBW84 | Twitter: ThomasBW84

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

911. Posted:

ThomasBW84 wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

ThomasBW84 wrote:

I'd like to agree that there'll always be a market for dedicated gaming handhelds, though if the 3DS and/or Vita struggle, it will become a much smaller market, I believe. Industry analysts are already saying that a DS level of sales is very unlikely to happen again, as some of the consumers have already walked away from handheld consoles. Nintendo (and Sony) are hoping to sustain a solid level of sales, but the levels from a few years ago are already a distant hope.

I don't really think the DS comparison works as the app market, not to mention the capabilities and popularity of smartphones, have exploded in the last couple of years. Even a few years ago many people still had bog-standard mobile phones, but now smartphones rule the roost, particularly since Android joined the party. The iPad, and its various tablet competitors, also didn't exist in the DS days. Of course plenty of handhelds crashed and burned in the 90s, but the landscape is very different now.

My main point is that bickering between gamers is frustrating. I know not everyone is doing it, but considering the challenges that Nintendo and Sony face, willing one or the other to fail at the expense of the other is a foolish enterprise.

Oh I don't want either of them to fail. But here's another thought: How come PC gaming didn't kill off home consoles (like how smartphone/tablet gaming is eroding the handheld market)? PC's are much more powerful than game systems, they have more features, blah blah blah. All of these are reasons people love the convenience of smartphones and tablets. So how come the "smartphone vs. handhelds" debate doesn't apply to PC's and home consoles?

Edited on by LordTendoboy

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

King_Boo

912. Posted:

I honestly see there being a time when there is only handheld gaming devices, in a way. When you have something like a 3DS or Vita that is in itself a system and controller that will just have a cradle that connects to a TV. You come in playing a game, you sinc. it to the TV and keep going or set it down to charge while you use a regular controller. Things should get small enough where a dock could house a hard drive and blending the two means no need for multiple systems.

Edited on by King_Boo

Full name King Boo the Nefarious
3DS FC: 5241-1931-6226
PSN: King_Boo922
Nintendo Network ID: KingBoo
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingBoo922

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

913. Posted:

LordTendoboy wrote:

So how come the "smartphone vs. handhelds" debate doesn't apply to PC's and home consoles?

my guess would be because, like PCs and home consoles, smartphones haven't killed off handhelds. until they start releasing new, big-name AAA titles in the App Store, there will continue to be a place for both smartphone and handheld gaming, same as there is for PCs and home consoles. There's not really much in the way of debate over it; people are going to continue to purchase and support whatever allows them to play the games they want to play.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

914. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

So how come the "smartphone vs. handhelds" debate doesn't apply to PC's and home consoles?

my guess would be because, like PCs and home consoles, smartphones haven't killed off handhelds. until they start releasing new, big-name AAA titles in the App Store, there will continue to be a place for both smartphone and handheld gaming, same as there is for PCs and home consoles. There's not really much in the way of debate over it; people are going to continue to purchase and support whatever allows them to play the games they want to play.

True, but there are plenty of big AAA games on Steam, which could be considered a competitor to home consoles. And then there's cloud services like OnLive.

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

stromboli

915. Posted:

[quote=LordTendoboy][quote="ThomasBW84"]

ThomasBW84 wrote:

While true that Vita's failure may prompt buzz that the smartphone business is taking over, if one accepts that the handheld console market became smaller, then Nintendo and Sony are fighting for a share in the smaller market, and they are direct competitors. The buzz right now, and the strategy of Nintendo is : "ok, sure, the smartphone business is a big business, we are not going to take over, but the 3DS is cheap, has a magical 3D effect and it's kid friendly". That's where Nintendo is currently winning and can continue to win. The Vita is an annoying pest or mosquito, sort of, for Nintendo, and takes away some of its share. Also, I think this all "it does everything" approach is a complete failure. People are not going to stop buying ipads or ipods or iphones or whatever. Nintendo has it right when they say "it's just a gaming machine, and you will have fun of it. Keep your other devices too."

Not only does the 3DS come with an SD card, but it also happens to come pre-installed with one, additional dimension.

AuthorMessage

GameLord08

916. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

GameLord08 wrote:

And @kkslider5552000: I never said the Vita is a redundant electronic. I said it has redundant features, and I have quite clearly stated reasons for my opinion. Your aggressively mocking comments need to be seen somewhere far away from the verge of common sense.

you can't have a trollface avatar AND be easily mad on the internet. It doesn't work that way.

...What? Wait, so just because I put a trollface as my avatar for fun, you automatically believe I want to be seen as a troll? You know, I don't know why I even bother. You just can't be taken seriously in my book.

And for the record, I wasn't mad. I was being immensely snarky.

Edited on by GameLord08

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

Twitter: FaridaKYusuf

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

917. Posted:

King_Boo wrote:

I honestly see there being a time when there is only handheld gaming devices, in a way. When you have something like a 3DS or Vita that is in itself a system and controller that will just have a cradle that connects to a TV. You come in playing a game, you sinc. it to the TV and keep going or set it down to charge while you use a regular controller. Things should get small enough where a dock could house a hard drive and blending the two means no need for multiple systems.

With Vita, you don't even have to cradle it. You can play your games on the Vita, turn the Vita off when you get home and continue playing the game on your PS3. It's a new gimmick that will work with a couple of the launch games. But for myself, I enjoy handheld gaming because it doesn't seclude me to a room by myself. I can chill with my wife while she watches her shows and still enjoy myself without being bored to death - though I've found that Brothers and Sisters is actually a pretty good series. :)

On the PC gaming topic, it comes down to money. For a good couple of years, there were necessary - expensive - upgrades you had to make to your system to play the next big game and when those same games became available on home consoles and those consoles cost about the same as your needed upgrade, then many flocked over to home console gaming to save themselves financially. But, PC gaming is starting to gain its resurgence lately too, with the fantastic Indie titles and downloadable service like Steam.

Oh, check out this new cool Vita feature:
http://www.justpushstart.com/2012/01/04/playstation-vita-has-...

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

918. Posted:

All joking aside my only serious complaint about the vita is lack of sort of Dona or hemisphere function. I find it aerie as newer Sony phones and tablets have an airplay Like feature to display and share content between the Tv and mobile device.

That's a big oversight ti me in the era of wireless,hemisphere, and lightpeak.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Knux

919. Posted:

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

3D isn't as ''cutting edge'' and ''awesome'' as people claim it to be it. Most of time the 3D is either gimmicky, has ghosting effects, or gives me headaches

Your saying your opinion like it's a fact. Just because you experience it differntly than others doesn't mean it's a gimmick to everyone. To me, it's one of the coolest options in the world and to others, it's a game maker. As time goes on the 3D in the 3DS seems to improve. From OoT3D's somewhat ghosting effects, to Super Mario 3D Land's flawless 3D. That was a fairly short period of time going from good to great if you ask me.

Vita doesn't have 3D, but it has graphics close or on par with a PS3

Because great, cutting edge graphics sell systems regardless eh? PS3 and Wii have a long story about their lives to share with you

I don't think 3D is all that great, and the 3DS didn't sell well because of it's 3D feature.

Neither will Vita's features. It just won't and Japan has proven this already. Most people own a PS3 and many people prefer having a home console rather than a breakable portable. Plus from what we know there's nothing system selling about the hardware on Vita's part.

I never said the 3D was bad. In fact, I use it sometimes. I just meant that the 3D to me is not good enough to be a system seller by itself. I'm sure you would have bought the 3DS if it did not have 3D. In the end, we bought the 3DS for the incredible games on it.

Never said that graphics were a seller, just saying that the Vita is way more powerful than the 3DS. I said close to PS3 since I wasn't sure about the Vita's exact power. Either way, I guess it's safe to say that the Vita is in between the PS2 and PS3 in terms of graphics. Not that I care anyway. Unlike some other people, I'm going to enjoy both handhelds since they are very different from each other. Also, some people like to play on handhelds instead of consoles. So there is a market for the Vita. I also never said that the Vita will sell well based on hardware alone. In the end, it all comes down to games for both handhelds.

Don't forget that the 3DS also had a rough start just like the Vita. 3DS sales picked up based on the games released for it, so that will be the same way with the Vita. It's western launch might go much better than the Japanese launch, but only time will tell.

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage

GameLord08

920. Posted:

The graphics on the Vita aren't really HD. They're more like slightly upgraded 7th gen. handheld graphics, made to give the illusion of being HD on a small screen. Blow them up, and you'd see. Also, the idea of the 3D on the 3DS being gimmicky isn't really true. Everyone who was looking forward to buying a 3DS at launch was, in some way, mesmerised by the idea of glasses-free 3D gaming in the palm of your hand. Sure, it gets old, but that was part of the handheld's selling point.

Sales-wise, we can't exactly write the Vita off. It's just going through the slight beginning crisis, just as the 3DS did. The 3DS did pick up a little after with a few good games, and seeing as it's finally 2012, it will obviously continue to do so even further. Same can be expected for the Vita, and with a better planned launch line-up in schedule, Sony definitely isn't losing here. Everything's quite on par. Admittedly, the 3DS price mishap will put off a few people, and expectedly so, but if you're a better informed gamer, this wouldn't be a deference at all.

Comparing sales of the two consoles on their first two days after launch, I'd say Sony isn't lagging far behind, and will eventually step up.

• 3DS - 371,326 units
  • Vita - 321,407 units

Edited on by GameLord08

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

Twitter: FaridaKYusuf