Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The PS Vita Discussion Thread

Showing 781 to 800 of 2,912

AuthorMessage

Corbs

781. Posted:

Escape Plan is the game that kind of snuck up on me. I too quickly dismissed it when I first saw it, but I have to admit, it's a day one buy for me in the US.

Retro Editor, Nintendo Life
Vita Editor, Push Square

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

782. Posted:

When I look at the Vita it makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with Sony's Tablet and Phone division.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Magi

783. Posted:

Is anyone doing the week-early Gamestop bundle preorder deal? I think it's $349 total for the 3G version ($300), a case ($20), a 4gb memory card ($20), and Little Deviants ($30). Separately, all of those components would total $370 so I guess it's like getting the memory card for free. I've had the 3G version on preorder with Amazon for a while but the closer the Vita gets to release, the more I think I'm going with the WiFi version. Paying another $15+ a month on my already-too-high AT&T bill isn't sitting well with me. Like others have already said, if the point of the 3G connectivity is for various "social" connections like Facebook, Twitter, etc, then I've already got that functionality on my cell phone. With that being said, I still have that nagging feeling that I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

Picking up the WiFi for $250 and the Vita Starter Kit for $40 (which includes a 4gb memory card) will only set me back a total of $290. That leaves an $80 difference between this choice versus the preorder bundle that I could use to purchase a game or three. A week early isn't that important to me.

What is everyone else doing?

Edited on by Magi

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

784. Posted:

@Magi The only thing that is keeping me from doing getting the early release is that it's only 3G. There is no way I'm paying for the service when 3G....well, you've got a smartphone and you already know how weak the service is. I'm sticking it out an extra week and grabbing the WiFi model, along with a 8GB card and a few games. :)

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

RoyalBlur

785. Posted:

I agree with Slapshot and Magi! I don't see any real purpose in buying the 3G PS Vita either. I'm going with the WiFi model PS Vita. That way I'll have money to buy at lest two games and one 8gb MC.

@MickeyMac, The Twilight Zone, Route 66, Peter Gunn and Perry Mason are indeed noir and are referred to as such on ME TV's Sunday Night Noir programming block. Also in this video Matt Morton classifieds Escape Plan as a noir stylized experience.

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

AuthorMessage

Blaze

786. Posted:

I'm really looking forward to Escape Plan too. Anybody eles see the Vita's second week sales figures though? 72K. :-O I hope this brings about a price cut when it launches in the UK and US.

The Blazeloggery~
Mah Animelist~

3DS Friend Code: 4914-4746-2130 | Nintendo Network ID: MiracleBlaze

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

787. Posted:

TokyoRed wrote:

@MickeyMac, The Twilight Zone, Route 66, Peter Gunn and Perry Mason are indeed noir and are referred to as such on ME TV's Sunday Night Noir programming block. Also in this video Matt Morton classifieds Escape Plan as a noir stylized experience.
[youtube:XR8Sc1_RtRg

Well, I've never seen an episode of the Twilight Zone that was ever Noir-esque, so unless I'm missing something, I think it's safe to assume it's only on there because they couldn't get anything else for that block, and/or had no where else to put it.

And yeah, I know that's what he's going for, but Noir is more than just the visual style, It refers to a type of crime drama, which Escape Plan is totally devoid of. Without it, it's just black & white.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RoyalBlur

788. Posted:

Well here is the definition from Merriam Webster: Main Entry: noir Pronunciation: ˈnwärFunction: noun Etymology: short for film noir Date: 1980 1 : crime fiction featuring hard-boiled cynical characters and bleak sleazy settings and so there we have it. I agree that I don't exactly follow ME TV's reasoning behind classifying The Twilight Zone as Noir although some few episodes might feel like Noir but in opinion it is more Sci-fi than anything else with a hint of horror.

Nevertheless in regards to Sony and Escape Plan, I believe that it fits the Noir shoes although loosely they fit nonetheless. I definitely don't have a problem with it and I will refer to it as a 'Noir influenced game' when I write up a review after playing it.

Just to clarify it a bit more is the second and final Noir definition as given by M. Webster: Main Entry: film noir Pronunciation: -ˈnwärFunction: noun Inflected Form(s): plural film noirs -ˈnwär(z) or films noir or films noirs-ˈnwärEtymology: French, literally, black film Date: 1958 : a type of crime film featuring cynical malevolent characters in a sleazy setting and an ominous atmosphere that is conveyed by shadowy photography and foreboding background music; also : a film of this type

Edited on by RoyalBlur

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

AuthorMessage

SamuraiShyGuy

789. Posted:

Apparently there is a Forbes article saying the Sony is in trouble or something based on early sales of the Vita. I didn't read the article, but I thought I'd bring attention to it. Then again, the same thing was said about the 3DS and it's rockin now.

3DS: 0173-1626-4750
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Check out my Colors!3D gallery!

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

790. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Well, I've never seen an episode of the Twilight Zone that was ever Noir-esque, so unless I'm missing something, I think it's safe to assume it's only on there because they couldn't get anything else for that block, and/or had no where else to put it.

And yeah, I know that's what he's going for, but Noir is more than just the visual style, It refers to a type of crime drama, which Escape Plan is totally devoid of. Without it, it's just black & white.

Would Heavy Rain be considered "noire"?

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

791. Posted:

SamuraiShyGuy wrote:

Apparently there is a Forbes article saying the Sony is in trouble or something based on early sales of the Vita. I didn't read the article, but I thought I'd bring attention to it. Then again, the same thing was said about the 3DS and it's rockin now.

Difference is the Vita is now going into a Market Dominated by Phones and the 3DS. What does The Vita bring too the table that my three main devices don't do.

My Phone
Untitled

My Tablet
Untitled

My Game
Untitled

Sony's problem is where do they fit into this Paradigm that's taking over the western Tech market. What do they bring that's not redundant to any of my other devices.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

792. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

SamuraiShyGuy wrote:

Difference is the Vita is now going into a Market Dominated by Phones and the 3DS. What does The Vita bring too the table that my three main devices don't do.

Sony's problem is where do they fit into this Paradigm that's taking over the western Tech market. What do they bring that's not redundant to any of my other devices.

Well the Vita does seem like a nice hybrid of smartphone and game system. The capacitive touchscreens will really make it easier to port smartphone games to the Vita (and vice versa). The only thing holding the Vita back is the lack of a dedicated app store, but the games available on PSN seem to be more substantial (in terms of "getting more for your money"). And the whole overpriced proprietary memory cards are also holding it back, but that didn't stop the PSP from selling well.

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

Magi

793. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

The games shove it all up in my paradigm. None of the games I bought (and loved) on my PSP were available on any iDevice, Android device, Nintendo device, etc. In order to play the games I wanted to, I also had to own a PSP. This will be the same reason I have a Vita in addition to my WP7 phone, 3DS, and wifes iPad.

Edited on by Magi

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

794. Posted:

Magi wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

The games shove it all up in my paradigm. None of the games I bought (and loved) on my PSP were available on any iDevice, Android device, Nintendo device, etc. In order to play the games I wanted to, I also had to own a PSP. This will be the same reason I have a Vita in addition to my WP7 phone, 3DS, and wifes iPad.

See i'm talking about the bonofide gamer Market that;s going to buy it either way. I mean the regular people who already carry a phone and tablet. That's the market that Just got the 3DS out of the gutter and who's been buying the tabs.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

795. Posted:

It the week after Christmas. People are broke! Also, the 3DS - aside from it's 3D screen - is standard technology and was overpriced to consumers at $249; Vita is clearly not standard technology and is worth the asking price. I highly doubt that any sort of price cut will happen anytime soon.

Remember how idiotic people sounded when everyone was claiming doom and gloom for the 3DS? Well, that's the way everyone that's now ranting the exact same claims about Vita sound too! The few people in Japan that could afford a Vita after all the catastrophic events they've recently been though, as well as the struggling economy there, bought Vita at launch. From here on out, Vita and 3DS sales will be slow for awhile and the current software on the market and cheaper price will indeed keep the 3DS sales higher than Vita.

@Magi I went and swapped my Vita preorder over to the First Edition Bundle. I don't care about the 3G, but getting the Limited Edition hard-shell case, Little Deviants, Memory Card, plus the weeks early access is worth it to me! :D

@shingi I completely disagree. It's the true gamers that are buying the crap out of the 3DS. The same ones who have smart phones and desire the full gaming experiences that can only be offered by handheld consoles. Top it off with some amazing software and it's a complete win. Super Mario 3D Land alone is completely worth every penny of the price of admission!

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

Blaze

796. Posted:

Yeah, I think we should give Vita more of a chance before we announce its failure. Everyone said 3DS was doomed, yet it's set to sell 15 million by the end of next week, which would make it the fastest selling console in history. Don't write the Vita off just yet, it may surprise when it launches in the EU and US.

The Blazeloggery~
Mah Animelist~

3DS Friend Code: 4914-4746-2130 | Nintendo Network ID: MiracleBlaze

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

797. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Magi wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

See i'm talking about the bonofide gamer Market that;s going to buy it either way. I mean the regular people who already carry a phone and tablet. That's the market that Just got the 3DS out of the gutter and who's been buying the tabs.

You do realize that the gaming industry has pretty much been dominated by gamers. Without them, there would be no market for DLC, expansion packs, Xbox Live, PSN, Steam, etc. The entirety of the gaming industry has been dominated by traditional gamers.

This whole "casual" market is just a byproduct of the gaming industry becoming so big. The industry expanded from it's traditional market, and reached out to more mainstream consumers. But the gamers are the ones who still buy all the products, games, consoles, DLC, etc.

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

Link245

798. Posted:

I don't think I'm buying a Vita at launch, but I'll probably buy it within the first week. Does anyone know what the launh titles are? I think they announced them. I'll probably buy 1-3 games at launch. Anyways, here are some titles I'm exited for:

• Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Resistance: Burning Skies
  • Gravity Rush
  • Killzone
  • UMVC3 (I already have regular MVC3 and Ultimate on Xbox, and yet I'm exited to have it portable)
  • Playing the PSP games I missed

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Arkham City, MW3, Gears 3, UMV3, Battlefield 3
PS3: inFAMOUS 2, LBP 2. Rachet & Clank: All 4 One, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3
Xperia Play: Crash Bandicoot
iOS: Sonic CD, Infinity Blade, Arkham City Lockdown, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger

My Gaming Blog at GameInformer

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

799. Posted:

Link245 wrote:

I already have regular MVC3 and Ultimate on Xbox

don't lie, no one bought Ulitmate

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

RoyalBlur

800. Posted:

Slapshot wrote:

It the week after Christmas. People are broke! Also, the 3DS - aside from it's 3D screen - is standard technology and was overpriced to consumers at $249; Vita is clearly not standard technology and is worth the asking price. I highly doubt that any sort of price cut will happen anytime soon.

Remember how idiotic people sounded when everyone what claiming doom and gloom for the 3DS? Well that's the way everyone sound that's now ranting the same claims about Vita sounds too! The few people in Japan that could afford a Vita after all the catastrophic events they've recently been though, as well as the struggling economy there, bought Vita at launch. From here on out, Vita and 3DS sales will be slow for awhile and the current software on the market and cheaper price will indeed keep the 3DS sales higher than Vita.

@Magi I went and swapped my Vita preorder over to the First Edition Bundle. I don't care about the 3G, but getting the Limited Edition hard-shell case, Little Deviants, Memory Card, plus the weeks early access is worth it to me! :D

@shingi I completely disagree. It's the true gamers that are buying the crap out of the 3DS. The same ones who have smart phones and desire the full gaming experiences that can only be offered by handheld consoles. Top it off with some amazing software and it's a complete win. Super Mario 3D Land alone is completely worth every penny of the price of admission!

I agree that it is the traditional gamers who mainly saved the 3DS. I've talked to many teenagers and adults who are 'casual' and they are like 'I see no need for a 3DS, I've got a DS Lite and an a iPhone'. Whereas the gentlemen who owns a Wii, Xbox, XBOX 360, PS2 and PS3 has also bought each of his family members a 3DS and they have all of the 3DS launch games and then some.

I must also admit that I never took into consideration the earthquake's effect on the PS Vita's launch although I had accounted for everyone being financially empty from Christmas shopping over there just as our family and friends are which it is a good thing I set aside some money for the PS Vita before Christmas.

Anyway, I continue to think that mostly the Vita will have a fairly descent launch here in the States although I maintain that sales won't begin to shoot through the roof until the summer and it is not until after E3 2012 that I expect that sales to will really pick up and by the Holiday/ Black Friday/ Christmas season they will mostly likely surge.

Edited on by RoyalBlur

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN