Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The PS Vita Discussion Thread

Showing 501 to 520 of 2,903

AuthorMessage

SamuraiShyGuy

501. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

SamuraiShyGuy wrote:

I personally feel that the Vita is a cool piece of hardware, and I like it's latin name, but I'm a Nintendo gamer. The editors at EGM weren't too thrilled about it. They made some good points: One was that it just feels like a PS3 that you can take with you since it is trying to offer the same experiences. Since most people play games at home, there is no reason to play Uncharted on your little screen when you can play it on your big screen. Another thing they said that I thought was kind of funny was something like, "Don't even try to pass this game off as Uncharted when it clearly isn't." I'm not sure what he meant exactly, but it is interesting that he clearly thought it was unworthy of the Uncharted name.

Those aren't good points. Firstly, why would anyone buy any handheld console when you can play games at home? To play games on the go, that's why, and the cross-platform saves and play mean the Vita should be a pretty seamless experience. Play at home, and then pick up and play the same game on the go.

I would also expect a peripheral to allow you to play the Vita on your TV at home. There was a few for PSP, but the PSP's resolution didn't look so good blown up on TV. That shouldn't be an issue on the Vita.

As for the criticisms of one game... Well crap. That's like playing Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs and using that experience to claim the 3DS sucks. It would be disappointing if Uncharted turned up bad on the Vita, but there's plenty of other games coming that are more interesting.

And I'd bet my house on PS2 Classics.

I think it is a good point. I play my games at home, portable or not. Sometimes I'll take my DS with me if I'm going to do some EV training in Pokemon or something, but if I'm getting into a deep game experience, I want to be in my room. As an example, I don't want to play Skyward Sword and then take it with me and (somehow) play when I'm on the go. If I'm not at home, it's probably for a reason and there are too many distractions. And then, if I'm at home, I'd surely want to play on the TV. The whole "portable PS3" idea just doesn't work. What I liked about the DS is that it had completely original games that you couldn't get anywhere else. Sure, the Vita will have original games as well, but that's not how it is being marketed.

3DS: 0173-1626-4750
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Check out my Colors!3D gallery!

AuthorMessage

Bankai

502. Posted:

SamuraiShyGuy wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

SamuraiShyGuy wrote:

I personally feel that the Vita is a cool piece of hardware, and I like it's latin name, but I'm a Nintendo gamer. The editors at EGM weren't too thrilled about it. They made some good points: One was that it just feels like a PS3 that you can take with you since it is trying to offer the same experiences. Since most people play games at home, there is no reason to play Uncharted on your little screen when you can play it on your big screen. Another thing they said that I thought was kind of funny was something like, "Don't even try to pass this game off as Uncharted when it clearly isn't." I'm not sure what he meant exactly, but it is interesting that he clearly thought it was unworthy of the Uncharted name.

Those aren't good points. Firstly, why would anyone buy any handheld console when you can play games at home? To play games on the go, that's why, and the cross-platform saves and play mean the Vita should be a pretty seamless experience. Play at home, and then pick up and play the same game on the go.

I would also expect a peripheral to allow you to play the Vita on your TV at home. There was a few for PSP, but the PSP's resolution didn't look so good blown up on TV. That shouldn't be an issue on the Vita.

As for the criticisms of one game... Well crap. That's like playing Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs and using that experience to claim the 3DS sucks. It would be disappointing if Uncharted turned up bad on the Vita, but there's plenty of other games coming that are more interesting.

And I'd bet my house on PS2 Classics.

I think it is a good point. I play my games at home, portable or not. Sometimes I'll take my DS with me if I'm going to do some EV training in Pokemon or something, but if I'm getting into a deep game experience, I want to be in my room. As an example, I don't want to play Skyward Sword and then take it with me and (somehow) play when I'm on the go. If I'm not at home, it's probably for a reason and there are too many distractions. And then, if I'm at home, I'd surely want to play on the TV. The whole "portable PS3" idea just doesn't work. What I liked about the DS is that it had completely original games that you couldn't get anywhere else. Sure, the Vita will have original games as well, but that's not how it is being marketed.

People said the same thing about the PSP, but I look at what I play on the PSP, and it's entirely different to what I play on the home console. I prefer the PSOne Classics on PSP for instance because the smaller screen suits the low quality visuals better. Of the PSP games... well, the only real crossover with my PS3 collection is the Warriors games, and they're different Warriors games.

The Vita will have plenty of original games on it. And then when it doesn't, it'll still be worth having for a lot of people because I know I personally enjoy playing games on my balcony, where I don't have a TV (in fact, about 80% of my gaming is now done on handhelds. I very rarely turn my PS3 on for games, and even more rarely the Wii.)

So I can guarantee there is a market for these consoles.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

SamuraiShyGuy

503. Posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying the Vita will sell poorly. I think it will do quite well. I was just bringing up some points that I read in a magazine that I happen to agree with. I agree, there is definitely a market for the Vita. It just might not be me, or gamers like me.

3DS: 0173-1626-4750
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Check out my Colors!3D gallery!

AuthorMessage

ToadFan

504. Posted:

I'll get the PS Vita when Final Fantasy XI Online and/or Monster Hunter comes out. :3

Edited on by ToadFan

ToadFan

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

505. Posted:

... About the analog sticks- are they elevated to the point where it'd be a concern to carry it around in your pocket? Least, with my 3DS, the screen and all that is covered. And the PSP case I had made it a pain to carry my PSP in that- so, I opted to do what I did with my GBA and shove it into my pockets- no scratches or anything. With the Vita, I don't know. That's my concern. The sticks. Not really snapping off but damaging it :(

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Bankai

506. Posted:

komicturtle92 wrote:

... About the analog sticks- are they elevated to the point where it'd be a concern to carry it around in your pocket? Least, with my 3DS, the screen and all that is covered. And the PSP case I had made it a pain to carry my PSP in that- so, I opted to do what I did with my GBA and shove it into my pockets- no scratches or anything. With the Vita, I don't know. That's my concern. The sticks. Not really snapping off but damaging it :(

Yeah, that's a concern for me as well. I prefer clamshells (or PSPGo's Slide Out) for looking after consoles. I'm just hoping the Vita has a good third party case soon after launch.

AuthorMessage

ToadFan

507. Posted:

Does anyone know if the PS Vita is backwords compatible with PSP games?

ToadFan

AuthorMessage

turtlelink

508. Posted:

komicturtle92 wrote:

Apparently the Vita's sticks are not too high up.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage

Bankai

509. Posted:

ToadFan wrote:

Yep, and PSOne classics. Assuming you downloaded them - UMD is gone.

I've also heard conflicting reports - some say that any PSN game (including the PS3 games) can also be played. Others say they can't.

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

510. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

ToadFan wrote:

I've also heard conflicting reports - some say that any PSN game (including the PS3 games) can also be played. Others say they can't.

Wait, how is it compatible if it doesn't use that format? :O

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

Bankai

511. Posted:

lzbirdboy wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

ToadFan wrote:

Wait, how is it compatible if it doesn't use that format? :O

What do you mean?

If this helps clarify - the Vita is compatible with the PSN, and PSP games (as well as potentially PS3) that you've downloaded off there will be Vita-compatible.

The UMD format is gone though, so the Vita is not backwards compatible in a physical sense.

It's really what Nintendo should have done with the Virtual Console and the 3DS. There's no reason we shouldn't have access to the SNES/ NES/ etc games we've already paid for (though N64 games might require too many buttons).

Honeslty, the backwards compatibility stuff in itself is enough to make me look forward to a Vita.

That and the PS2 classics.

AuthorMessage

Magi

512. Posted:

I'm getting ready to cancel my preorder at Amazon and re-pre-order at Gamestop. I completely forgot that I get reward points for buying things from them (just fyi in case anyone else forgot).

I'm starting to have an internal struggle with handhelds vs. cell phones for game play but I keep chanting the mantra: "dual analog sticks, dual analog sticks, dual analog sticks" until the moment passes. :)

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

513. Posted:

pikmaniac02 wrote:

Kid_Crono wrote:

I don't know. Other than Uncharted, I don't think any of those games will be drastically above average. Thus not being system sellers, plus Uncharted is great, and I like it as much as the next guy, but one game won't sell a system either. ;)

Tell that to the 3DS.

I did and she gave me three diseases in the end. Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Animal Crossing 3D.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Dynetheous

514. Posted:

now im just hoping monster hunter comes out in 2012, that would make me really happy.

3DS Friend Code: 1375-7199-0087 user name is Jon
Games that i love: Zelda, MH, Golden Sun, Fire emblem
PSN ID: Dynetheous tell me if you want to add me:)
Nintendo Network ID: Dynetheous

AuthorMessage

19Robb92

515. Posted:

If gets interesting games I might get it. As of what we know right now though I'm not getting it.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

516. Posted:

The third party case I got for the PSP is terrible. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. If the Vita (slim) isn't too big, I'll be using my pouch I got from Club Nintendo that I use for 3DS and carry the system I feel like- or something.

$250 is a lot and them precious analog sticks will need to be protected at all costs. If Turtlelink is right, then I'll feel a bit at ease :3

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

RoyalBlur

517. Posted:

The PSVita is cleared for launch this Autumn in the USA now that it has passed the FCC's approval.
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/08/03/vita-clears-fcc-ge...

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

518. Posted:

TokyoRed wrote:

The PSVita is cleared for launch this Autumn in the USA now that it has passed the FCC's approval.
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/08/03/vita-clears-fcc-ge...

The Vita itself is ready for release, but that doesn't mean the launch is in Autumn, as was explained in the final paragraph of the article you linked.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

519. Posted:

What type of physical media does the Vita use? Somehow I missed that.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

520. Posted:

Oddy wrote:

What type of physical media does the Vita use? Somehow I missed that.

You missed everyone calling Sony a copy cat just because they're using an SD card?

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~