Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The PS Vita Discussion Thread

Showing 2,781 to 2,800 of 2,895

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

2,781. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I've been under the impression that most Japanese are actually disturbed by a lot of Otaku stuff, too (hence why "otaku" is a pretty bad thing to be called there)...they just tend to pretend it doesn't exist rather than make a big fuss over it. This is coming from blog articles I've read, as well as some stuff related to the laws (including polls) that I've stumbled upon, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm sure a lot of them are. Japanese culture is still fairly conservative as a whole, and otaku culture does get... excessive at times. It obviously doesn't excuse it, but this game can't really be understood outside of the context of the otaku culture toward which it is aimed and, especially, the problematic relationship it has with women (although Western geek and video game culture also has its own issues regarding women). To be honest, I'm not sure how clear of a conception, if any, the people in it have of sexual assault or harassment.

I bet there is also a huge generational component to this as well. But this is almost purely semi-informed speculation on my part.

Edited on by Ralizah

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

2,782. Posted:

Oh yeah, I'm certain they didn't literally decide "let's make a molesting game" but that kinda makes it worse if they don't know what they're doing.

And to be fair to Bioshock Infinite, being shocked by the violence would actually be a plus, as that's one of the things the game was trying to do (at least at points).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

2,783. Posted:

I never thought this would happen but Freedom Wars will be getting a physical release after all in the EU yay.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/07/22/freedom-wars-ps-vit...

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuardianKing

2,784. Posted:

I don't know if there's a thread for this, but I'd like to exchange PSN IDs with other people.

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DualWielding

2,785. Posted:

GuardianKing wrote:

I don't know if there's a thread for this, but I'd like to exchange PSN IDs with other people.

You can add me if you like my ID is fertheseeker... I don't play online and my friends list is kinda empty so everyone is welcome

PSN: Fertheseeker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

2,786. Posted:

I'll start a thread in the online gaming forum for Vita players to add one-another.

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

darkfenrir

2,787. Posted:

Anyone know how to get other clones in Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark? @_@

darkfenrir

3DS Friend Code: 2122-5996-0541

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Dezzy

2,788. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

No. I'm not playing the strawman game. Violence can be justified. Sexual assualt can't be, or at least should never be. You can call it a double standard, but it's there for a good reason.

I think he's absolutely right on this one, there is a huge double standard afoot. The kind of violence in lots of games actually CAN'T be justified. But we've collectively agreed that we don't think it really has any real world connection and is therefore fine.

While I'm completely onboard with the fact that the ability to sneak sexual assault into apparently any form of Japanese media is really quite disturbing, I think to be consistent, we really do have to address the same issue as we have with violence in games: does this have any real world effects? If not, is there really anything wrong with it?
I'd even be in favour of the attitude that determining this kind of causation is so complicated that we should really just assume that there might be some ill-effects as a precautionary measure, because the potential effects are so terrible.

But again, if we want to be consistent in our moral outlook, we have to question why we didn't do the same with violence. I think it's quite clear at this point that violence in games has either a tiny or non-existent effect on society at large. But that wasn't at all clear back in the day. If we make the effort to shed our retrospective bias, we have to admit that something like GTA3 COULD have lead a big increase in violence in society. But the only people who really worried about that at the time were people like FOX news, who suspected it on the grounds that they're just reactionary automatons.

Edited on by Dezzy

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

2,789. Posted:

Honestly if this game was adults only I'd probably not have an issue with it. Or at least not enough that I'd actively argue that it's genuinely a problem.

I think the logic is that over-the-top violence is fine because it's actually distant from real violence. We know it's fake and ridiculous and have fun with it, perhaps in a "hahaha oh wow that's gruesome" dark sort of way. And the general opinion from people who like that stuff is that when shown legit violence, they find it genuinely disturbing. A lot of the time they find even realistic violence in fiction disturbing.

However, the sexual assault displayed in this game, from my knowledge, is comparable to what a disturbing amount of guys think is ok. As in they don't think it is molesting of any kind. And apparently this is a BIIIIIG issue in Japan in particular. And this game is apparently a-ok for Japanese teens.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

2,790. Posted:

Really cool Superhero sale on PSN right now. Injustice and Batman: Arkham Origin Blackgate are both less than $5 on the Vita (if you have PS Plus). Great deal, especially for Injustice.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Dezzy

2,791. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Honestly if this game was adults only I'd probably not have an issue with it. Or at least not enough that I'd actively argue that it's genuinely a problem.

I think the logic is that over-the-top violence is fine because it's actually distant from real violence. We know it's fake and ridiculous and have fun with it, perhaps in a "hahaha oh wow that's gruesome" dark sort of way. And the general opinion from people who like that stuff is that when shown legit violence, they find it genuinely disturbing. A lot of the time they find even realistic violence in fiction disturbing.

However, the sexual assault displayed in this game, from my knowledge, is comparable to what a disturbing amount of guys think is ok. As in they don't think it is molesting of any kind. And apparently this is a BIIIIIG issue in Japan in particular. And this game is apparently a-ok for Japanese teens.

Yeah, I agree on the adults only part. I'm completely in favour of people making as much weird porn that they want.
I'm not sure how much I agree with the violence being over the top though. I mean, with Mortal Kombat, yeah sure. Clearly it's done almost ironically in that situation. But something like GTA where you can just massacre the public? I think the only unrealistic thing about it is how easily you can get away with it.
I do agree that even with myself, I can happily murder a thousand people in a game but probably wouldn't be able to play a game involving sexual assault on others (google it). But if you ask why that is, I tend to suspect that it's entirely down to the fact that one is a much more sensitive political issue. I don't think it's because one is more likely to lead to real life harm.
The problem with morality is that nearly everyone bases their moral view on just what feels intuitively right or wrong. That's kinda disastrous because it leaves almost 0 room for argument between people who intuitively feel different things. It's also incredibly easy to manipulate. Almost laughably so.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

2,792. Posted:

^This was why I said I'm not playing that strawman. There is nothing to argue. There is nothing you can argue. Can we go back to talking about games now?

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

2,793. Posted:

Just got BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma. It's my first Blazblue, and I'm having a great time with it. Really excellent combat system, and it looks fantastic. Seems to be a perfect port to me, since all the content from the PS3 version seems to be there.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Turnip-Forest

2,794. Posted:

@moomoo I love the BlazBlue games, but I haven't picked CP up yet. Glad to know that the Vita version plays well, as that's the platform I'll be buying it for once my wallet stops being so empty.


I recently picked up Terraria for my Vita, and man, the controls are decent, but they make my hands cramp up almost instantly. I'm hoping I get used to it soon, otherwise I'll have to stick to the not-nearly-as-portable PC version.

I also (finally) picked up Tearaway. I was expecting it to be charming, but asdfghjkdjsocmsjknm. This game exceeded my already high expectations.
I was kind of expecting the editing tool to be difficult to use due to the Vita's lack of a stylus (and my lack of small hands lol), but I was 100% wrong--it all works perfectly.
Definitely glad I picked it up.

Edited on by Turnip-Forest

Here's a link to my Miiverse profile. #Miiverse #profile
Hashtags are really #cool. I love when people overuse them. #love #luv #fall #pumpkins #punkins #gourds #jackolanterns #jack #o #lanterns #leaves
Oh, In case you want to check out some of my artwork, my DeviantArt profile is right here.

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4621-2718 | Nintendo Network ID: TurnipTerritory

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

2,795. Posted:

Tearaway is one of the most charming and creative games I've played in years. Pity we probably won't see another game like it due to its lackluster sales.

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Turnip-Forest

2,796. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

Tearaway is one of the most charming and creative games I've played in years. Pity we probably won't see another game like it due to its lackluster sales.

Were its sales really that bad? That's extremely disappointing, as I like it infinitely more than LBP which we'll probably see countless sequels of.

Here's a link to my Miiverse profile. #Miiverse #profile
Hashtags are really #cool. I love when people overuse them. #love #luv #fall #pumpkins #punkins #gourds #jackolanterns #jack #o #lanterns #leaves
Oh, In case you want to check out some of my artwork, my DeviantArt profile is right here.

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4621-2718 | Nintendo Network ID: TurnipTerritory

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

2,797. Posted:

Turnip-Forest wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Tearaway is one of the most charming and creative games I've played in years. Pity we probably won't see another game like it due to its lackluster sales.

Were its sales really that bad? That's extremely disappointing, as I like it infinitely more than LBP which we'll probably see countless sequels of.

Tearaway is one of the reasons I brought my Vita when I did amazing game.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

darkfenrir

2,798. Posted:

How long is the game? I kind of want to buy it but I heard it's 5-10 hours game... and that kind of make me not want to buy it because full US$ 40 for that little gameplay hours... are too expensive >:

darkfenrir

3DS Friend Code: 2122-5996-0541

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

2,799. Posted:

darkfenrir wrote:

How long is the game? I kind of want to buy it but I heard it's 5-10 hours game... and that kind of make me not want to buy it because full US$ 40 for that little gameplay hours... are too expensive >:

Buy Tearaway at $20. That's what I did less than a month after launch. It'll go down in price eventually, don't you worry. It's a great game, but when its over, its over. I suppose there are reasons to replay it, but I never really felt the urge to do so with that one.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

darkfenrir

2,800. Posted:

IF it's ever be on discount.

If you ever been to Indonesia, you would find that games will never see the light of discount (more than 50.000 or around US$ 5 or less), unless you buy 2nd... to which Tearaway is... well, it's rare. Almost never saw it sold used. @_@

darkfenrir

3DS Friend Code: 2122-5996-0541