Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The PS Vita Discussion Thread

Showing 1,701 to 1,720 of 2,912

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,701. Posted:

3ds has this issue to a point too considering Mario has dominated the successful titles leaving room for nothing else as successful (I don't think Kid Icarus has even sold a million despite being the system's killer app), most trying to blatantly be like previous Mario titles without enough worthwhile creativity (although granted, 3D Land is the only game to make worthwhile use of 3D). Not to mention the early large amount of remakes.

I say this because the inevitable bias rant is dumb and should be avoided at any cost.

if Vita somehow beats 3DS in sales, I hope it's because region-locking is bad and Nintendo should feel bad.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

Bankai

1,702. Posted:

Moomoo - Sound Shapes and Zen Pinball are both far more natural fits on the Vita than the PS3. Content creation is more intuitive in the Vita touch screen than the PS3 for SS and Pinball works better when portable.

As for LKS - the Vita version is the superior game. It's worth buying again.

The Vita is under performing in the market because it doesn't have a fairly useless gimmick and people who haven't played it for long at all (and so don't realise how a portable console could enhance the gaming experience for some games) criticse it anyway.

Where there is cross over (LBP, Sound Shapes, Zen Pinball, Disgaea) I prefer playing the game on the Vita.

Also not the Vita has got a handful of killer exclusives. Ecolobrium (free, to boot) and Gravity Rush, for instance.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

moomoo

1,703. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

3ds has this issue to a point too considering Mario has dominated the successful titles leaving room for nothing else as successful (I don't think Kid Icarus has even sold a million despite being the system's killer app), most trying to blatantly be like previous Mario titles without enough worthwhile creativity (although granted, 3D Land is the only game to make worthwhile use of 3D). Not to mention the early large amount of remakes.

A game doesn't need to crack a million copies sold be considered successful, espcially when the budgets for games on 3DS are significantly smaller than those for console games.
Also, the 3DS is selling fairly well and consistently so, so your point is rendered moot in regards to it not having enough software in the eyes of the consumer.

WhiteKnight wrote:

Sound Shapes and Zen Pinball are both far more natural fits on the Vita than the PS3. Content creation is more intuitive in the Vita touch screen than the PS3 for SS and Pinball works better when portable.

I don't disagree with you. However, when the Vita costs as much money as it does, it's very hard to justify buying one when many of the best games for it now and in the future will also be available on a system (PS3, in most cases) that A) that user already owns or B) that costs less money to purchase (when counting memory card costs). Say I am a big Rayman fan. Rayman 2 just released, and I own a N64, but I've heard that the game is best played on the Dreamcast. Now, as great as the Dreamcast sounds, I'm not going to purchase it just to play a game I can already play on a device I already own, as inferior as it is. Now, I understand that there's portability, but then you have to consider that playing games on a small screen and with something that isn't a controller is considered a con by many people.

If someone already own a Vita, your point certainly stands. For someone without one, however, it falters.

WhiteKnight wrote:

The Vita is under performing in the market because it doesn't have a fairly useless gimmick

Agreed. It may sound weird, but by offering something to people that is different from other things (even with something like 3D) it acts as a big incentive when compared to other devices. The Vita only really does that with front and rear touch, and considering the target audience, that benefit isn't valued. 3D, even though I don't like it, does have its fans, and considering a 3DS is substantially cheaper than a 3D TV, people will go to it for their 3D gaming/entertainment wants.

WhiteKnight wrote:

and people who haven't played it for long at all (and so don't realise how a portable console could enhance the gaming experience for some games) criticse it anyway.

It could enhance the gaming experience in ways that most people don't care about. Playing games in short bursts is fun, yes, and some games are better suited for a portable platform. However, the system's target audience is core gamers, and they tend to play their games for longer play sessions. There's also portability, but when you factor in that most people have jobs and school, and do not have much free time away from their homes, it's hard to justify purchasing such a premium device. Quite frankly, those enhancements don't take away from the cons of not playing with a proper controller, not playing on a larger screen, not having easy-access to local multiplayer, and the like, at least for a ton of core gamers.

Now, to clarify, these points don't necessarily apply to the market with the largest gaming-dedicated portable sector: Japan. For there, the only thing that can really improve the condition of the Vita is a game releasing that is very much cared about by the Japanese consumer (which I'll never be able to predict).

kkslider5552000 wrote:

if Vita somehow beats 3DS in sales, I hope it's because region-locking is bad and Nintendo should feel bad.

I hope so too.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,704. Posted:

moomoo wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

A game doesn't need to crack a million copies sold be considered successful, espcially when the budgets for games on 3DS are significantly smaller than those for console games.
Also, the 3DS is selling fairly well and consistently so, so your point is rendered moot in regards to it not having enough software in the eyes of the consumer.

I was talking quality, not sales. Honestly Vita probably deserves to at least be doing better than it has and at this rate deserves to sell about as well as 3DS has, maybe even in a shorter amount of time.

also yeah kid icarus probably at least made a profit, but it still deserves to sell so much more as it is the clear number 1 must-own title on the system and it's first party so no excuse.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

AuthorMessage

Bankai

1,705. Posted:

PlayStation Mobile is now on Vita.

So now the console has iOS-style gaming, minis, PSOne Classics, PSP and a Vita catalogue.

People still think it lacks games?

AuthorMessage

turtlelink

1,706. Posted:

I had no idea it was coming to Vita. What does it offer so far?

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage

Bankai

1,707. Posted:

turtlelink wrote:

I had no idea it was coming to Vita. What does it offer so far?

There's about 10 games on there so far, and one music creation app (a bit like Rythmik on DSiWare, it seems). They rage from $0.45 Aus through to about $12. I've yet to play any of them, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in next week.

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

1,708. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

So now the console has iOS-style gaming, minis, PSOne Classics, PSP and a Vita catalogue.

siiiiigh I wish I had spare cash for a Vita.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

moomoo

1,709. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I was talking quality, not sales. Honestly Vita probably deserves to at least be doing better than it has and at this rate deserves to sell about as well as 3DS has, maybe even in a shorter amount of time.

You've got a point. The Vita's library is definitely better than the 3DS's was in October last year. Still, it's directly competing with the 3DS, which has a pretty solid library now, and has very solid 3rd party support in the future (especially in Japan, where portable gaming is huge). Frankly, I feel there's a great device here that just needs to be given more attention from by Sony to attract 3rd parties. Sitting on their butts and thinking devs will develop games for the Vita because it's awesome is stupid, especially when their direct competition is making sure that Sony's killer app on PSP, Monster Hunter, has initial exclusitivity on their device. And let's not forget that Nintendo has published a ton of 3rd party stuff in Europe.

WhiteKnight wrote:

If one already owns a PSP and an ipod touch (like me)... then yes...
I understand I don't represent the common consumer, but when many hardcore gamers, the device's target audience, have devices that can play iOS style games, PS1 games, Playstation minis and/or PSP games, it's very hard to convice them.

The thing is, Nintendo portables always get Pokemon, and that's a franchise that you can only find there, which is why it sells gangbusters. It's something that is unlike anything else out there; that means that people who aren't into portable gaming might still get Nintendo's newest portable device because it offers an experience wholly unique to their device, one that cannot be found on devices that potential user might already own. And that is a single game. The Vita isn't offering anything other devices do that drastically improves the gaming experience, and even then those experiences can be obtained on cheaper devices, or on devices that provide a superior gaming experience (in the eyes of potential buyers). That's a problem when the target audience is people who are hardcore gamers; they own gaming devices already, and other devices as well, so many of the benefits the Vita brings to the table are rendered obsolete in those consumers' eyes. Since they already own a device that can play similar games, or the same games, why shell out over $250 for a Vita? (Rhetorical Question)

Best thread ever

AuthorMessage

Bankai

1,710. Posted:

I understand I don't represent the common consumer, but when many hardcore gamers, the device's target audience, have devices that can play iOS style games, PS1 games, Playstation minis and/or PSP games, it's very hard to convice them.

The thing is, Nintendo portables always get Pokemon, and that's a franchise that you can only find there, which is why it sells gangbusters. It's something that is unlike anything else out there; that means that people who aren't into portable gaming might still get Nintendo's newest portable device because it offers an experience wholly unique to their device, one that cannot be found on devices that potential user might already own. And that is a single game. The Vita isn't offering anything other devices do that drastically improves the gaming experience, and even then those experiences can be obtained on cheaper devices, or on devices that provide a superior gaming experience (in the eyes of potential buyers). That's a problem when the target audience is people who are hardcore gamers; they own gaming devices already, and other devices as well, so many of the benefits the Vita brings to the table are rendered obsolete in those consumers' eyes. Since they already own a device that can play similar games, or the same games, why shell out over $250 for a Vita? (Rhetorical Question)

It's funny. I have a Vita, a 3DS, an iPhone and an iPad and I'm saying the Vita is the better games console of all the above.

You don't have a Vita, and you're telling me I'm wrong.

Hm.

Given that your main complaint (which you're repeated ad hominem) is the price of the Vita, just bite the bullet and buy the damned thing. Once you have it the games themselves aren't any more expensive (though the 3DS doesn't have free games or $0.45 games, and the Vita does). It's just the upfront cost you're complaining about. It's worth it.

Edited on by Bankai

AuthorMessage

Donjwolf

1,711. Posted:

Everyone, buy AQUA KITTY!! It's awesome!
http://tikipod.com/aquakitty/

It's basically modeled after the old classic Defender but with cute kitties instead. Very tough to beat but hella fun!

Vita is awesome. I prefer handhelds to consoles. I have consoles too but I play my handhelds (and PC) a lot more. I like both my Vita and the 3DS. They have their own awesome games. One big thing Vita has over 3DS is that Vita has the better pinball games. I love pinball.

P.S. Now Vita has Aqua Kitty! 3DS doesn't have it!! Another win for the Vita!

Edited on by Donjwolf

Donjwolf

AuthorMessage

moomoo

1,712. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

It's funny. I have a Vita, a 3DS, an iPhone and an iPad and I'm saying the Vita is the better games console of all the above.

You don't have a Vita, and you're telling me I'm wrong.

Hm.

Given that your main complaint (which you're repeated ad hominem) is the price of the Vita, just bite the bullet and buy the damned thing. Once you have it the games themselves aren't any more expensive (though the 3DS doesn't have free games or $0.45 games, and the Vita does). It's just the upfront cost you're complaining about. It's worth it.

I'm not arguing which one is better. I'm arguing why the Vita doesn't look compelling to many people who play videogames regularly.

Best thread ever

AuthorMessage

Wheels2050

1,713. Posted:

Played a Vita for the first time yesterday (demo model in a Gamestop).

It was pretty nice! The loading times (I played the Gravity Rush demo) were a little long, but that may have been due it being a demo unit rather than a commercial one.

I didn't play it for all that long, but it was very nice - that screen is to die for!

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

AuthorMessage

Mandoble

1,714. Posted:

BTW, what major third party support is the one you refer for 3DS? Capcom might be? Something else? To be frank, after two years I dont see any major third party projects present or announced for 3DS, I dont see its situation any better that Vita's while there are some really big big projects on the way for Vita like ACIII or Need for Speed MW.

Mandoble

AuthorMessage

moomoo

1,715. Posted:

Mandoble wrote:

BTW, what major third party support is the one you refer for 3DS? Capcom might be? Something else? To be frank, after two years I dont see any major third party projects present or announced for 3DS, I dont see its situation any better that Vita's while there are some really big big projects on the way for Vita like ACIII or Need for Speed MW.

To quote myself:

moomoo wrote:

...has very solid 3rd party support in the future (especially in Japan, where portable gaming is huge).

There is a ton of stuff in Japan coming out for the system on a weekly bases. For example, Grandpa Danger.
Untitled
Yes, I know it's a stupid example, but I want more people to know this exists. :p

However, my main argument is more about how the Vita isn't doing much to separate itself from other gaming systems, most notably consoles. Yes, the Vita is a portable system, but portable gaming systems are not as popular nowadays as they used to be, and they never will be. Gamers are less likely to buy a system if most of the experiences on it can be done on another, and in a more comfortable setting nonetheless.

EDIT: Screw trying to make this pic show up. http://www.destructoid.com/grandpa-danger-for-3ds-looks-absol...

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever

AuthorMessage

Mandoble

1,716. Posted:

And do you call that "solid" third party support? err... well ... ok ... long live to the japanese third party dev companies as long as they dont dare to get out of their island

Mandoble

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,717. Posted:

Mandoble wrote:

To be frank, after two years I dont see any major third party projects present or announced for 3DS, I dont see its situation any better that Vita's while there are some really big big projects on the way for Vita like ACIII or Need for Speed MW.

Need for Speed? Big Big projects? Let's be real here Need or Speed is not as important as say a Little Big Planet or even Killzone. Or Assassin's Creed.

AuthorMessage

Mandoble

1,718. Posted:

NfSMW is a major release for 360 and PS3, and Vita's is a mirror of PS3 one, the very same game, the very same open city, the very same everything.

Mandoble

AuthorMessage

Donjwolf

1,719. Posted:

I would get a Need for Speed game long before LBP or AC. I have absolutely no interest in the two other franchises. The Vita NfS looks very promising but I can't get it at launch. An open world racing game on a handheld with licensed cars is very appealing to me.

Donjwolf

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,720. Posted:

Mandoble wrote:

NfSMW is a major release for 360 and PS3, and Vita's is a mirror of PS3 one, the very same game, the very same open city, the very same everything.

Oh so I don't have to get a Vita to get it. I have a 360. Good to know.