1,201. Posted:

Slight exggeration with the 1000s, but to use my own iPad experience:

Email
News
Magazines
Word Processing
Note taking
Social Networking
Education (iTunes U is a marvellous resource)
Music Creation
Movies/ TV
Art/ Animation
Cricket Score Keeping
Stock Market
eBay

I have around 400 apps for iPad, and only around 200 of those are games - and my App: Game ratio will be higher than most, because I review games.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

sykotek

1,202. Posted:

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

Slight exggeration with the 1000s

I posted that in jest, but deleted my last post as I didn't want to be associated with possibly taking sides with Tendo.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,203. Posted:

sykotek wrote:

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

Slight exggeration with the 1000s

I posted that in jest, but deleted my last post as I didn't want to be associated with possibly taking sides with Tendo.

Oh, so you're singling me out eh? :|

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,204. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

most of its available games will be download-only, and the average person isn't quite ready to go full-on download-only just yet.

iOS devices and Android say hi.

the difference you've apparently missed (so what else is new) is that people have those devices as phones first, gaming devices second. you need a phone. you don't need a Vita.

iPod Touch and iPad are used as game devices by many people. My point is still relevant. Why do you think people insist that these devices will eventually replace gaming handhelds in the future?

Edited on by LordTendoboy

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

Bankai

1,205. Posted:

LordTendoboy wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

most of its available games will be download-only, and the average person isn't quite ready to go full-on download-only just yet.

the difference you've apparently missed (so what else is new) is that people have those devices as phones first, gaming devices second. you need a phone. you don't need a Vita.

iPod Touch and iPad are used as game devices by many people. My point is still relevant.

I doubt you'll be able to prove that "many" people use the iPad primarially as a gaming device at all, actually.

Why do you think people insist that these devices will eventually replace gaming handhelds in the future?

That's a different conversation. The reason that the analysts and market folks expect the gaming handhelds to go away in the medium to long term is because they're becoming more and more a luxury. A dedicated gaming device that is increasingly unnecessary, because people can play games on the iPhone and iPad.

The most definately do not claim that the iPhone and iPad are gaming devices.

Edited on by Bankai

AuthorMessage

sykotek

1,206. Posted:

LordTendoboy wrote:

No, don't think of it like that, I'm not taking Waltz's side on issues either, but sometimes I think you and Waltz could just start your own argument thread and you guys could have disagreements in there. That way, at least most topics can stay on course and those interested in your random exchanges have a place to go. :D

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,207. Posted:

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

iPod Touch and iPad are used as game devices by many people. My point is still relevant.

I doubt you'll be able to prove that "many" people use the iPad primarially as a gaming device at all, actually.

Why do you think people insist that these devices will eventually replace gaming handhelds in the future?

That's a different conversation. The reason that the analysts and market folks expect the gaming handhelds to go away in the medium to long term is because they're becoming more and more a luxury. A dedicated gaming device that is increasingly unnecessary, because people can play games on the iPhone and iPad.

The most definately do not claim that the iPhone and iPad are gaming devices.

I think of the iPod Touch as a gaming device. So there. :P The iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad all share the same OS and basic functions.

And if handhelds are becoming a luxury device, then what about home consoles? They might as well go away too cause we already have stuff like OnLive, PC's with Steam and Games for Windows services, etc.

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,208. Posted:

sykotek wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

No, don't think of it like that, I'm not taking Waltz's side on issues either, but sometimes I think you and Waltz could just start your own argument thread and you guys could have disagreements in there. That way, at least most topics can stay on course and those interested in your random exchanges have a place to go. :D

This!!! This!!!

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,209. Posted:

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

A dedicated gaming device that is increasingly unnecessary

Then home consoles might as well go away too, since we have stuff like OnLive, PC's with Steam clients and Games for Windows, etc.

EDIT: Game systems have always been a niche product. People were always able to play games on a PC, which for some is more convenient than owning a separate gaming device.

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,210. Posted:

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

sykotek wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

This!!! This!!!

Good idea. :p

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

1,211. Posted:

@Tendoboy: You're missing my point due to your natural inclination to run threads down tangents. The Go flopping spectacularly was a prime example of the fact that John Q. Public is not ready to rely on a downloadable service for all of their gaming needs just yet. At the moment, the App Store is doing nothing but reinforce the idea that downloadable games are merely cheap diversions meant to be played while waiting in doctors' offices, airports, on the can, or in between solid, meaty retail releases gamers gladly throw their money at devs to get their grubby hands on. Retail sales have shrunk, yes, but the retail gaming store is not dead in the water just yet.

My original point was that the lack of playable retail games at retail for Vita (due to the lack of backwards-compatibility) stands a good chance of making initial Vita sales quite sluggish. At launch, people were able to walk into a store, see that the 3DS could play not only the handful of launch titles but allll those lovely available DS games as well — sure, the eShop wouldn't be around for a bit, but who cared? We'd be all right in the meantime until the 3DS titles we wanted started rolling in, right? As for the Vita, it'll have a few retail titles available and then the clerks'll have to talk pretty fast about social network connectivity and the SEN, at which point... y'know, your phone can download games too, and most downloadable games are like Angry Birds, just bite-sized little things, aren't they? And they're probably cheaper in the App Store anyway, so who cares? What do you need a Vita for just yet? that's the hurdle at the moment.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,212. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

@Tendoboy: You're missing my point due to your natural inclination to run threads down tangents. The Go flopping spectacularly was a prime example of the fact that John Q. Public is not ready to rely on a downloadable service for all of their gaming needs just yet. At the moment, the App Store is doing nothing but reinforce the idea that downloadable games are merely cheap diversions meant to be played while waiting in doctors' offices, airports, on the can, or in between solid, meaty retail releases gamers gladly throw their money at devs to get their grubby hands on. Retail sales have shrunk, yes, but the retail gaming store is not dead in the water just yet.

My original point was that the lack of playable retail games at retail for Vita (due to the lack of backwards-compatibility) stands a good chance of making initial Vita sales quite sluggish. At launch, people were able to walk into a store, see that the 3DS could play not only the handful of launch titles but allll those lovely available DS games as well — sure, the eShop wouldn't be around for a bit, but who cared? We'd be all right in the meantime until the 3DS titles we wanted started rolling in, right? As for the Vita, it'll have a few retail titles available and then the clerks'll have to talk pretty fast about social network connectivity and the SEN, at which point... y'know, your phone can download games too, and most downloadable games are like Angry Birds, just bite-sized little things. Who cares? What do you need a Vita for just yet? that's the hurdle at the moment.

"Your phone can download games too... What do you need a Vita for just yet?"

Couldn't you use that same argument against the 3DS?

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,213. Posted:

Sometimes I wonder if tendoboy has ever read an entire post in his life.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,214. Posted:

pixelman wrote:

I do read the posts, but I also pick up on bits and pieces of info that I want to counterpoint.

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

1,215. Posted:

@Tendoboy: You pick out one sentence and then take it completely out of context, ignoring everything else I just said that qualifies it. I'm about done with the constant arguing that comes from letting you roam free. Either learn to read or go find some other place to haunt, because you are disrupting the hell out of this thread and I have had it.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,216. Posted:

Is this the PS Vita discussion thread? I couldn't tell. :P

Edit: But seriously, how about that Vita system? With the analog sticks and stuff?

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Bankai

1,217. Posted:

So. Army Corp of Hell.

y/n?

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,218. Posted:

LordTendoboy wrote:

pixelman wrote:

I do read the posts.

See, I can cut out "bits and pieces" of your reply and make what you're saying seem weaker too. That's so cheap man. Everything that's relevant to what you're arguing against needs to be quoted, not ignored.

On-topic: I'd like to have one, but I'll wait for a price drop. It's like, $350 to get the system, a decent memory card, and a game, which is too much for me – especially when I already have a brand-new handheld.

Edited on by pixelman

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

1,219. Posted:

By not ready I thought they meant that ISPs are too locked down and moat people only have the basic Internet plans which are too slow for downloading mass amounts of data. Also on the phone side you aren't even allowed to download big files over 3G because of the time it takes. Unless your running fios or tootle Tiber your sol.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,220. Posted:

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

Is this the PS Vita discussion thread? I couldn't tell. :P

Edit: But seriously, how about that Vita system? With the analog sticks and stuff?

I tried it at Best Buy. The screen is very nice, but the sticks and face buttons are way too small.

PSN ID PS_man1984