Forums

Topic: Pros and Cons of Xbox 360

Posts 21 to 40 of 52

M00se

DarkG wrote:

The CPU architectures are quite different, so that's something hard to classify... on the other hand, GPU architectures are more alike, and is easy to see that the Xbox 360 GPU is much more powerful.

Going by my own experience, PSN is only slightly better than Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for the Wii, but far more laggy than NWFC on DS/DSi, and is the one with the slowest download times.

To play on Xbox LIVE you have to pay for the Gold membership ($40 or cheaper a year, depending on where you buy the subscription), but really, you get what you pay for... none of the other online experiences is as complete and feature-packed as Xbox LIVE, and none is as reliable.

If online console gaming is what you want, there's no better option than Xbox 360 (the MW2 PS3 fiasco proves this point lol)

BS! psn is very lag free! i have one with a cheap router, all the way across from my home, 50%connection and play uncharted 2(no dedicated servers) and play just fine with NO LAG AT ALL!

Edited on by M00se

PSN ID: brucethemoose904
3DS FC: 3566-2025-1426
My Music: http://djm00se.bandcamp.com/
Previously known as: BB_Thrilla

BB+Thrilla wrote:

buffalobob wrote:

Pros:
*Great XBLA library (Castlevania SOTN, Doom, KOF 98, etc.)
*Resident Evil 5
*Street Fighter 4
Cons
*Pay for online - Many told me that it was superb but I realized that it wasn't that different from the online one on Wii...so 20 bucks for something that should be free? I don't think so
*Most of the retail games are very boring (GTA, infamous, Borderlands, Gears or war...ok that one not much)
*There's a possibilty that SF4 and RE5 will appear on Wii

Honestly, I do love the XBLA retro offers. I may buy one just for that.

infamous is ps3 only! i think you mean prototype

Oh right..o_O

DarkG

BB+Thrilla wrote:

BS! psn is very lag free! i have one with a cheap router, all the way across from my home, 50%connection and play uncharted 2(no dedicated servers) and play just fine with NO LAG AT ALL!

Apart from the big gap in features (PSN is not as feature packed as Xbox LIVE), there is a difference in the quality and stability of the network, no matter where you are... neither PSN nor Xbox LIVE are officially available here, yet Xbox LIVE works flawlessly and PSN barely works... it just goes to show how good the quality of each service is... plus just take a look at a major release like MW2, XBox LIVE ran with the most users ever, without a problem, while the PS3 version was unplayable online

De Puerto Rico a Los Angeles, the New York al Dirrty South
Este guerrero latino es representa'o
Muero de pie hantes de vivir arrodillao
Y tu eres fake'ah, mas fake'ah que chinatown

dsijared

thanks for telling me all this stuff. do you have to have a xbox live card to download demos

Flipnote Studios ID - Jared, aka the person that copies everyones flipnotes and actually gets it to the top of the charts!
NOT associated with Jared the subway guy.

Sean007s

DarkG wrote:

BB+Thrilla wrote:

Apart from the big gap in features (PSN is not as feature packed as Xbox LIVE), there is a difference in the quality and stability of the network, no matter where you are... neither PSN nor Xbox LIVE are officially available here, yet Xbox LIVE works flawlessly and PSN barely works... it just goes to show how good the quality of each service is... plus just take a look at a major release like MW2, XBox LIVE ran with the most users ever, without a problem, while the PS3 version was unplayable online

I own MW2 on my PS3 and it works great.
My mates 360 takes longer to sign in than my PS3 on PSN.
360 sold more(One year head start Yes siry) So obviously its more popular with MP Games.

About 360 being more powerful,wrong.
Uncharted 2 and Killzone2 Nuff Said.

Playstation Network ID:Sean007s
Wii Friend Code:8597 6921 2179 2755. Add me please..
Currently playing:Uncharted 2,Soul Caliber 4,ModernWarfare2,Final Fantasy XIII.
Excited for: Fallout New Vegas,Gran Turismo 5,CoD:Black Ops.

DarkG

Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are exclusive games, and ones that could easily be made on Xbox 360 with the same or even better graphics... the Xbox 360 has twice the amount of available graphics memory, a more advanced GPU, a faster optical unit, a wider and faster memory bus... some of the Xbox 360's GPU capabilities haven't even been enabled (like Hardware tessellation, part of DirectX 11, that ATi has implemented since their DirectX 9 cards... I bet even the Wii has a tessellator in one way or another)

MW2 was unplayable on PSN during the first days after launch, that's what I heard... it must be fixed by now (if not, FAIL), but it was a big problem nonetheless...

@dsijared No, demos are free, and you can download them with either an Xbox LIVE Gold or an Xbox LIVE Silver account... ALL Indie and XBLA games have demos, and some of the retail games have too, you could easily fill your HDD with a bunch of demos lol. There are also some free map packs and addons.

To purchase stuff, you'll need Microsoft Points... you can buy them either with a Credit Card on your account, or with prepaid cards (1600 Microsoft Points = $20 USD, and it's equivalent in other regions)...

Sean007s

Uncharted 2 Devs say its not possible on 360.
Blu-Ray takes down DVD in Capacity (BD has a SET reading speed at 2x)
It also won the format war and everyone abandoned M$ for BD.

No incorrect yet again(Id explain how but im using my DS3 lol)
Your simply saying things out of your ass.
My 360 friend even thinks PS3 is a beast in power.
Its complicated. its like MAC vs Windows vs Linux,very different architecture.
PS3's Cell is very complicated to develop for,you have to provide each MP but with 360's one(Its VERY VERY similar to a PC architecture thus making it a piece of cake to develop for)
Its not to say its more powerful.
Theres nothing on 360 that looks better than KZ2,uncharted 2 and GT5 is even better looking than F3.
Likewise PS3's are used for supercomputers at laboratories to calculate protons to stop cancer. Its said to run even faster at folding than its Windows equivalent.

They both have advantages to eachother. None the less hearing you yap on about 360's being more powerful makes me giggle.

Edited on by Sean007s

ShadowFlame76

IBM isn't making Cell chips anymore so there goes that idea if Sony wanted to stick with it for a PS4
and is there a link to this about PS3's being used in labs to calculate protons?
360 GPU is stronger than the PS3

ShadowFlame76

DarkG

Sean007s wrote:

Uncharted 2 Devs say its not possible on 360.
Blu-Ray takes down DVD in Capacity (BD has a SET reading speed at 2x)
It also won the format war and everyone abandoned M$ for BD.

No incorrect yet again(Id explain how but im using my DS3 lol)
Your simply saying things out of your ass.
My 360 friend even thinks PS3 is a beast in power.
Its complicated. its like MAC vs Windows vs Linux,very different architecture.
PS3's Cell is very complicated to develop for,you have to provide each MP but with 360's one(Its VERY VERY similar to a PC architecture thus making it a piece of cake to develop for)
Its not to say its more powerful.
Theres nothing on 360 that looks better than KZ2,uncharted 2 and GT5 is even better looking than F3.
Likewise PS3's are used for supercomputers at laboratories to calculate protons to stop cancer. Its said to run even faster at folding than its Windows equivalent.

They both have advantages to eachother. None the less hearing you yap on about 360's being more powerful makes me giggle.

So, if I am a Nintendo second party (just like Uncharted devs are Sony second party) and I say that my game wouldn't run on any other system (which is technically true, since it isn't coded for that system lol), that would instantly make it true? I don't think so...

Oh, and you would like to take a look at the texture resolution of Killzone 2, one of the games with the most blurry and pixelated textures I've ever played (more than likely a problem with the graphics memory being maxed out, since it's only 256 MB max). I won't comment on other games I haven't played on how they look, but Killzone 2 is, apart of a generic shooter, a not-so-good-looking one, specially on big TVs @ 1080p

Xbox 360's GPU is way more powerful, I never talked about the CPU because of how different they are, but the GPUs are easier to compare... PS3 has one based on the old GeForce 7950, a card that was good in it's time (2006) but it isn't that powerful, specially against the 360's, which is based on the Radeon HD4870, a DirectX 10.1 card (DirectX 10.1 is actually a kind of draft of DirectX 11)... apart from that, the PS3 GPU has access to only 256 MB of memory, while the Xbox 360 can access up to 512 MB...

To put it simple:
-CPUs are very different, hard to compare. Actual games show, they are evenly matched CPU-wise
-Xbox 360 GPU is more powerful, and has more capabilities
-Xbox 360 has twice the amount of available memory for the GPU
-DVD units read and transfer MORE data FASTER than PS3's BD unit ,that's the main reason why most PS3 games need installs, while Xbox 360 games don't require them (Except Forza 3 for different reasons)
-HD-DVD wasn't Microsoft's format, they didn't put anything to support it, other than an OPTION for the Xbox 360...
-Don't trust first and second party comments. Simultaneous multiplat titles are more trustworthy

If you can't understand (or don't want to trust nVidia's comments on the PS3 GPU being based on the old GeForce 7950, and ATi's comments of the 360 GPU being their first ever DirectX 10.1 card, it even has a Tessellator!), then I can explain with more detail... but I think that for most people, following the numbers is simple enough.

@ShadowFlame76: Last I heard, the thing about PS3s being used for research was true, since that's the way the true power of the Cell CPU works... It was conceived for that, and that's why it doesn't gives the PS3 the upperhand games-wise... at best, it compensates the PS3's GPU lack of Anti-Aliasing with similar (even if a bit less quality) effects...

PS: GPU stands for Graphics Processing Unit, and CPU stands for Central Processing Unit, just so that Sean and others won't get confused again xD
PPS: Xbox 360's CPU is a 3-cored PowerPC specially developed for it... consumer PCs right now use Intel's and AMD's architectures, not PowerPC... Macs used to have PowerPCs (the different architecture is what made the OS so different)... so it isn't the CPU the responsible for easier development on Xbox 360, it's thanks to Microsoft providing more than enough info and quality tools to developers, and the fact that the Xbox 360 somehow lives from it's predecessor Windows CE experiments (Windows CE was the base of the Dreamcast and Xbox, Xbox 360 departs from that, but not too far, still using DirectX APIs for example)

Edited on by DarkG

The_Fox

buffalobob wrote:

*Pay for online - Many told me that it was superb but I realized that it wasn't that different from the online one on Wii

I'm afraid you're totally wrong here. Xbox Live is FAR superior to the Wii online from any way you want to look at it.
Except from the cost of course, but I'm talking about preformance.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Sean007s

ShadowFlame76 wrote:

IBM isn't making Cell chips anymore so there goes that idea if Sony wanted to stick with it for a PS4
and is there a link to this about PS3's being used in labs to calculate protons?
360 GPU is stronger than the PS3

LifeWithPlaystation has a Folding@Ho ... app. look it up.

I still believe PS3 is ten fold stronger and better than the fix-me.

dsijared

If you scroll down to the diagram their chips are both 3.2 GHz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(...
Xbox 360 - 3.2 GHz IBM PowerPC tri-core codenamed "Xenon"
PS3 - Cell Broadband Engine (3.2 GHz POWER-based PPE with seven 3.2 GHz SPEs)

Edited on by dsijared

Flipnote Studios ID - Jared, aka the person that copies everyones flipnotes and actually gets it to the top of the charts!

dsijared

@sean that link tells me nothing

DarkG

Folding@Ho ... is a distributed-computing app made for PCs, the goal is to take advantage of everyone's idle CPUs to aid in research.. it means nothing for games, or a game console (other than you can help by leaving it on, on the F@H app... it's cheaper and better to use your PC for that, since it can multitask)

PS: Is not a link, the @ in the name makes the forum engine think it's an email address lol

dsijared

I always thought the PS3 had better graphics + faster pocessing + better hardware

dsijared

So basically you have to play yearly/monthly to be able to BUY downloadable games
you have to pay to buy

Modern_Legend

My bias says go ps3 in my opinion, its popularity is on rise man, more of my friends have it, and i just like it, good blu ray and everything.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, buy what most of your friends have, jeeez, why wud u want one if most of ur friends have the other? think about stuff like that. Dont just think of the product sitting in ur house at the end of the day, think about what u will actually use it for, who u will use it with, the things that are more important, and take the consequences, be it paying for online or whatnot as they come man.

@DarkG call ur internet provider cuz my WIRELESS on my ps3 online is lag free lol. I think ur internet (hopefully not wired) may have serious issues if u think its so laggy.

PSN ID: MixedMajik
Wii Number - 5995 0961 9020 5722 SSBB - 1504 5385 8344 Mario Kart Wii - 5327 1326 6518 Bomberman Blast 5370 8314 4869 Water Warfare 5327 9207 9563 http://www.nintendoli...

RandomWiiPlayer

dsijared wrote:

So basically you have to play yearly/monthly to be able to BUY downloadable games
you have to pay to buy

No, I thought the marketplace was free and you had to pay to play online?

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

Modern_Legend

^^ that sounds more reasonable, hopefully your right for dsijared's sake if he chooses the xbox lol

PSN ID: MixedMajik
Wii Number - 5995 0961 9020 5722 SSBB - 1504 5385 8344 Mario Kart Wii - 5327 1326 6518 Bomberman Blast 5370 8314 4869 Water Warfare 5327 9207 9563 http://www.nintendoli...

DarkG

RandomWiiPlayer wrote:

dsijared wrote:

you have to pay to buy

No, I thought the marketplace was free and you had to pay to play online?

RandomWiiPlayer is wrong, you don't have to pay to access the marketplace, demos and the basic LIVE features... you can access all that with the free Xbox LIVE Silver membership...

If you want to play online, have access to the discounts, to free games like 1 vs 100, etc., then you need the paid Xbox LIVE Gold Membership, which you can get for between $30 and $50 a year... currently, Amazon is having a deal where if you buy Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, you get a 12 month subscription card for $29.99

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.