Forums

Topic: Predict: Gaming in 2016

Posts 21 to 40 of 56

skywake

Well here are some Nintendo predictions from me in an attempt to rub some people the wrong way:

• NX is revealed to be a portable system around April/May. They don't say much more about it
  • Media go nuts over the NX not being a home console, Nintendo let slip that they'll have more to say in 2017
  • E3 they show some software for NX possibly including something along the lines of Splatoon
  • At E3 they also announce the approximate pricing as well as an early 2017 launch
  • Last push for the Wii U at E3, a couple of big 2016/17 titles to sit alongside Zelda U
  • A new Animal Crossing either for Wii U or NX using all of those high-res Animal Crossing assets they've built
  • 3DS gets a new Pokemon but is otherwise completely ignored by Nintendo
  • One of Nintendo's mobile apps becomes a bit hit.... and it's not an endless-runner with Mario branding

And some non-Nintendo tech/gaming related predictions:

• 4K starts to pick up a bit more steam, Star Wars 7 on UHD Blu-Ray becomes the first "killer app"
  • VR launches as a fairly niche product though it does gain a bit of traction amongst PC gamers
  • Even "higher spec" WiFi gear will be released which people will buy despite it not solving their range issues
  • HDDs lose even more ground to flash based storage, everything but the very cheapest laptops come with an SSD
  • Even more big AAA games PC gamers are looking forward to launch in an unplayable state

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

the_shpydar

I predict the following:

Some games will come out, and people will complain about them.
Other games will get delayed, and people will complain about them.
Still other games will not release at all, and people will complain about them.

And AlphaOmegaSin will make me happy by trashing idiotic people who complain about stupid things. I love that dude.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

MrGawain

-Pokken Fighters and Pokemon Rainbow will celebrate the 20th anniversary of Pokemon with announcement of an amiibo card line that will include the original 150 Pokemon in the first wave.

-The Original Final Fantasy 7 will be made available on the Wii U eshop.

-Microsoft will continue to imply the XB1 is somehow related to the Wii U, even though none of their software implies this.

-VR will sell to core gamers for £299, but the games will disappoint and after 6 months the whole thing will collapse, never achieving mainstream acceptance. Lots of people will complain of motion sickness, no matter how much the makers say we won't.

-It will be revealed the 20m NX Orders is in fact 4m Consoles, and 16m portables/controller systems. The console will be priced at £200, the Controller £100 and will be able to download an amount of what you can play on the console, but not everything.

-People will wonder where all the wonderful unannounced games for the PS4 and XB1 are for 2016, as the year wiil be primarily made up of what was delayed this year and another COD/FIFA/AC fest.

-The NX will promise Zelda U, Pikmin 4, Mario 3D, Bayonetta 3, Pilotiwngs, a Pokemon offspin game and a New IP in it's opening lineup, but we'll only get two of these in the first 6 months.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

GoldenGamer88

Hmmmm ... predictions? Well, you can consider the following my "realistic" wishes for 2016:

• I will problaby get either an Oculus Rift or PlayStation VR for my birthday in June (hope either of the two is released at that point)
  • Pokkén Tournament releases with WiiU exclusive fighters (Heracross, come on, people!)
  • NX will be showcased in spring as Nintendo wants to avoid competition at E3. Further information and tons of launch games will be revealed at E3, though, alongside price and release date. Will be released in early December.
  • Zelda U will be released in November (for PBG's 6th Zelda Month!) for WiiU and NX later in December.
  • Nintendo will release a second if not a third wave of Mario Amiibos including Daisy, Waluigi, Toadette and Boo at the very least!
  • Nintendo will reveal Pokémon Z at a Direct this spring around the 20th Anniversary and release it in Summer.

And now for the completely unlikely ones:

• Level-5 will announce a third Layton trilogy, this time taking place several years after Luke's departure from London. It'll have an older Layton visit Luke who now in his late teen years to investigate some kind of mystery that has lead to his father's death.
  • Nintendo will reveal Super Mario 64 2 (just the basic concept not the title) as a NX launch game.
  • Mother 3 will be localized and released for the NX VC at launch.
  • A third Pokémon Stadium is announced for the NX and you'll be able to use your Pokémon from X/Y/Z/OR/AS.
  • A Paper Mario in the same vain of the first two Paper Marios is announced for NX.
  • Bowser will star in his own game, a Pikmin-esque strategy game where he has to use the different powers of his minions (like throw a Koopa Shell to hit switches) in order to solve puzzles and save the world from whatever bigger threat that has kidnapped Peach, Mario, Luigi and Junior.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Shinion

@MadAussieBloke: pardon my French good sir but what the effinhell are you doing on a fansite called Nintendolife? You seem to be the exact personification of these poor souls I alluded to in my post above who seem to gain some sort of meaning in their life worshiping AAA game companies and acting very, very childish thinking this business is some sort of game or competition that you have a vested interest in, when in reality you're the only one being played by these companies.

Oh and you're actually buying the PSVR day one. Now I really, REALLY feel sorry for you. Your Vita need some company or something?

Oh and since you love these so much here's some more on the house

Shinion

Dave24

@skywake: 4K won't pick up - it will be lucky to pick up in 2017, if it won't die by that time because of lack of support.

SuperWiiU wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

• VR fails completely, doesn't do much better than the Virtual Boy.

The VB failed so bad it's impossible for VR to do worse. There are already more VR users than VB owners in the world.

Oh, it is possible. VB was a fail only for Nintendo, with VR so many companies jumped in blindly to produce it without even market proving to want it and idiots predicting 70 mln VR units sold by the end of the year 2017, it will bomb harder and will shake the industry in the bad way. It is descend to fail, especially when people will notice that there is no point to this overpriced garbage other than having vr waifu for all the weebos and basement dwellers.

Anyway, time for predictions

• Microsoft pulls the plug on X1
  • VR going to be biggest bomb of century
  • Hitman to be souless garbage
  • 3D dies yet again
  • Deus Ex Mankind Devided to suck hard and also repeating all the mistakes of HR
  • Doom being great re-invented "old school" FPS that will underperform because it's not like Halo/other FPS coming out and having too much gameplay
  • another unneeded/unnecessary kickstarter/scam
  • TMNT Platinum Games game to be great, but underdeveloped like Transformers Devastation

Dave24

GrailUK

Oh go on then, I'll make some random stuff up too.

• Details of NX start to leak in February.
  • Nintendo Direct in March details final games (tho they don't say this) for Wii U and hypes NX for E3
  • NX unveiled at E3 and steals VR thunder.
  • NX launched November 2016 and sells bucket loads. Consumer conspiracy theorists start to assume Bethesda and Rockstar hate money because they still are not releasing their games on a Nintendo console.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

SuperWiiU

Dave24 wrote:

It is descend to fail, especially when people will notice that there is no point to this overpriced garbage other than having vr waifu for all the weebos and basement dwellers.

When your description of uses for VR is so off, you can't ever do accurate predictions about it.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

IceClimbers

Here's a few more:

-Pokemon Z is announced, more or less what we expected, but with some surprise twists. Some controversial new Mega Evolutions.
-Smash Bros creates controversy at EVO, as both Smash 4 and Melee are allowed to the dismay of the FGC.
-Buggy game launches reflect badly on certain developers. Not sure which ones.
-Watch_Dogs 2 is announced at E3 to mixed reception.
-Metroid Prime Federation Force ends up being a fairly decent game.
-Scalebound is well praised, but sells poorly like the rest of Platinum's original IPs.
-Final Fantasy XV is pushed back to Q1 2017.
-Halo MCC comes to PC, has a buggy launch.
-Yooka-Laylee is 2016's indie darling, but some people on GameFAQs and NeoGAF complain that it plays too much like 90's collect-a-thon platformers.
-Zelda U creates controversy with SJWs as Linkle is included as an option over Link.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

Dave24 wrote:

@skywake: 4K won't pick up - it will be lucky to pick up in 2017, if it won't die by that time because of lack of support

The lack of content thus far has forced manufacturers to slash the price of 4K screens. In 2016 we will start to get actual, native 4K content that's not compressed to hell and back. Those two things will push it firmly into the mainstream. Anyone buying a 50"+ set in 2016 will have to seriously consider 4K. Most of them will end up with a 4K set because it only makes sense given the pricing.

2016 will be the year that buying a 4K isn't seen as wasting your money in an attempt to "future proof". I'm sure that once movies are being mastered for 4K Blu-Ray we'll start to see services like iTunes and Google Play start doing the same. Which means actual 4K content. It'll be a while before it'll be a viable option for gaming outside of high-end PCs but that's not far away either.

1. Acceptable standards (HDMI 2.0 in 2013)
2. Dropping prices (in the last few months above 50" 4K sets are as cheap as 1080p ones)
3. Movies and TV shows in actual proper 4K (UHD Blu-Ray launches in a few months)
4. Gaming hardware capable of 4K becomes mainstream (that'll take until 2018 or so, not there yet)

.... same thing happened with HD, like it or not UHD is here to stay and 2016 will be the year

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

-Whatever NX is launches November 2016 with a price $300 or less. Sells about 3 million systems if console, about 6 million if portable.
-Zelda U will be utterly fantastic
-SF Zero is the best game is the Star Fox series....which isn't saying much.
-Uncharted 4 lives up to the hype and an easy GOTY contender.
-Horizon, Detroit, and Dreams for PS4 are 2017 games
-VR doesn't flop but starts slow
-No Man's Sky is a love it or hate it game.
-500GB PS4 and Xbone models get phased out
-4K video(not games) ready $350 PS4 and Xbone slim models launch 2nd half 2015, regular 1tb ps4 and xbone go down to $300.
-Steam Machines and Android microconsole won't make a dent.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

V8_Ninja
  • The Nintendo NX does not release in 2016.
  • Dark Souls III will be better than Dark Souls II, but not nearly as good as either Bloodborne or the original Dark Souls.
  • Might No. 9 will be a decent game, but due to high expectations people will be disappointed by it and grow to hate it.
  • Star Citizen will either justify its $100 million budget or fail spectacularly. There is no middle ground.
  • After the initial wave of disappointment, a dedicated group of people will flock to No Man's Sky and end up learning something crazy about the game every few weeks.
  • Jonathon Blow will get angry that most people only see The Witness as a superb puzzle game.

EDIT: Also...

• Virtual reality gaming will not utterly fail, but it will struggle to find an audience that goes beyond being a very large niche.
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst will be a decent game despite the fact that EA is its publisher.

I really hope that last prediction is true.

Edited on by V8_Ninja

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

Megas75
  • VR will start off strong, but will likely fall to irrelevancy soon after
  • Nintendo will reveal the NX, will be a portable and home versions of the same console. Gets a decent launch line up including NX ports of Zelda U and Splatoon
  • NX will have surprisingly decent 3rd party support, including Squeenix which will release DQ X and XI, and announce FF7Remake and KH3 for the NX
  • The NX will release both separately(handheld for $150 and home for $250) and bundle for $350. The Home version will struggle, but the portable gets off strong

I have no idea what to expect with the NX, so my prediction on what it is probably sounds terrible

• Konami will do something dumb
  • Ubisoft will finally let AC take a break
  • PS4 gets a lot of delays, most games will come out next year with UC4 being the exception. PS4 will still sell regardless
  • Zelda U is amazing
  • Sonic's new game will release on all platforms, won't be awful, will be as well received as Colors and Generations
  • Sonic Boom Fire and Ice will still be awful
  • Steam Machines continue to bomb
  • Xbox One improves but still trails behind the PS4
  • Wii U will still get releases like Pikmin 4 despite the NX coming out
  • Platinums TMNT game will be awesome
  • No Man's Sky's reception will be all over the place
  • EA's Handle of Star Wars continues to suck
  • Wii U will finally get GC VC games, but NA will release games we've already gotten like Windwaker or Metroid Prime 1 and 2
  • NOA's handling of VC continues to suck
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 is still not localized
  • Star Fox Zero will sell well, just not 64 numbers. Reception will also be all over the place

Also, more hopeful than a prediction

• Suda kills Let It Die and brings back Lily Bergamo
  • Capcom will finally bite and release The Great Ace Attorney

Edited on by Megas75

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

IceClimbers

@Megas75: You might have one prediction right, as sources close to Kotaku (hence, "might") claim that the next Assassin's Creed will release in 2017 and will take place in Egypt. They also claim that Watch_Dogs 2 will be released late this year.

If true, then interesting.

Also, Microsoft served us with the delays - Scalebound is coming in 2017, ReCore is now "2016" instead of "Spring 2016", and will now be coming to Windows 10 as well. Crackdown 3 multiplayer will be coming in Summer 2016, which I imagine is just a beta, and that the full release is 2017.

Sounds like Microsoft's exclusives are 2017 instead of 2016. Wouldn't be surprised if ReCore, Sea of Thieves, and Halo Wars 2 get pushed back to 2017.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

KingMike

Vinny wrote:

• A new Pokemon will be released for the 20th anniversary.

The US version will be rebranded Pocket Monster Ball Z for maximum meme potential. (they already had a crappy "over 9000" line in XY)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

At_Lazuli

This sounds like fun so I'm gonna try:

• Pokemon Z is announced and released on the 3DS in November. Is the 3DS's last MAJOR game. Rhythm Heaven 3DS gets locallized as does Monster Hunter X. The Gameboy Pokemon games are the last significant 3DS VC releases.
  • Wii U price drop to $249 for all sku's. Pikmin 4 is released exclusively on Wii U in September. Mother 3 gets released on Wii U VC around E3. Wii U does not get GameCube VC. Wii U reaches 15 million by the end of 2016.
  • NX is first shown in March, full blow out at E3, and released in November 2016. Is both a handheld and home console, just with different sku's if that makes sense. Handheld sku is $199, Home sku is $299, bundle that contains both sku's is $400. NX shows signs of selling better than both the Wii U and GameCube at the very least.
  • Zelda U is given the Twilight Princess treatment, is critically acclaimed and a commercial success, goes on to be one of the best selling Zelda games ever. The Zelda Cycle gets broken and Zelda fans don't hate on the game.
  • More games are delayed than announced.
  • VR Bombs. It doesn't bomb as bad as Virtual Boy but, it does worse than the Wii U. In the end VR creates it's own niche.
  • PlayStation 4 starts to LOSE some steam. Not a Scary big amount of steam but the loss is noticable nonetheless. PS VR performs under expectations. Due to this Sony doesn't support it that well. PS4 price drop to $299. Uncharted 4 is critically acclaimed and sells extremely well. Goes on to be the best selling PlayStation exclusive. The Last Guardian is delayed to 2017. Sony reaches 50 million PS4's sold by the end of 2016.
  • On the contrary the Xbox One starts to gain steam but in the long run it won't be enough to catch up to PS4. Lots of Xbox One exclusives get delayed but Not neccessarily into 2017 for all of them. Xbox One Slim is announced it comes with a 1 TB HD and the Xbox Elite Controller. Details at $399. Other Xbox One skus drop to $299. Xbox One reaches 30 Million by the end of 2016
  • Sonic's 25th anniversary game's reception is split among the sonic fanbase, however the game is critically acclaimed and a commercial success. It is released in November for PS4, Xbox One and NX. To Sega's suprise the NX version outsells the PS4 and Xbox One versions by a large margin.
    Sonic Boom Fire and Ice BOMBS. The Sonic Boom francise is abandoned and buried away by SEGA forever. Mario and Sonic Rio Olympics is considered to be one of the best Mario and Sonic Olympic games, but it still sells poorly for both versions. Wii U version outsells 3DS version XD.
    Konami becomes a mobile only developer
  • all of the annual EA Sports game's sell worse than expected and EA gets Worried.
  • Ubisoft announced a new Rayman game to be released in 2017.
  • Yooka Laylee is Indie Game of 2016. Also launches on NX.
  • The Minecraft craze starts to end.
  • Reggie eats a banna.
  • After seeing the success of Yooka Laylee, Rare begins to work on a new GOOD Banjo Kazooie but doesn't announce it.
  • Half Life 3, and Portal 3 announced at E3 2016.

The NX is going to be delayed to Holiday 2017 you heard it here first, also It should be pretty obvious what my favorite game of all time is cough Skyward Sword cough

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4150-0138 | Nintendo Network ID: CosmicLuigi83 | Twitter:

Haru17

Grumblevolcano wrote:

• Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian and FFVII remake are all delayed by about 6 months as Sony realizes that PS4 doesn't need games to sell well.

-Red- wrote:

As I stare into my crystal ball I see...lots of salt flying everywhere. It's frightening.

Well, wha'dya know! #Fallout4

IceClimbers wrote:

Horizon Zero Dawn will be delayed into 2017.

But honestly, yes—Uncharted can't be delayed out of 2016, The Last Guardian really can't be delayed, FF7 Remake hasn't even be dated yet (not that anyone's keeping up on this forum), but Horizon seems like an easy delay to 2017, even with 5 years of dev time.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

-Nintendo does something—$&#*ing anything!
-The NX launches with Zelda, it has the same problems as The Wind Waker and every other open world game not made by Bethesda.
-Retro and The Pokemon Company both release 3D, that's (2 < x < 4)D, AAA, console-comparable NX launch titles.

-Final Fantasy XV is a good game stretched too thin over an open world, side quests, and a disappointing main story (aka '15 syndrome').

-Monster Hunter 5 is announced as NX exclusive because Capcom needs money.

-The Xbox One begins to flag as people see reason and show more interest in the two other platforms with actual investment in developing exclusive games (yeah right).

-Mainline Resident Evil, Metroid, and God of War sequels are announced, Naughty Dog's next game gets teased at PSX.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.