Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 941 to 960 of 2,134

Azooooz

After 5 years of owning a mid-tower PC, I have decided to go smaller. Thinking about going to mini-itx build since I don't overclock my cpu or gpu. So what's your recommendation?

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

JaxonH

Ah! Ahahaha!

Wolfenstein New Order. Gyro. DualShock 4. Steam community made controller config that works beautifully (after turning down right stick sensitivity). Amazing!

The game doesn’t even officially support controllers, yet here I am with a fantastic community made config specifically for the controller I’m using with all the buttons labeled, motion aiming, and without sacrificing high fidelity graphics to obtain it

I have found my love for PC gaming! Switch + PC is my new combo.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Cotillion

Good you found a way to enjoy some PC gaming. I'm a hardcore kb/m guy for those first person shooters, though. Not as a 'PC master race' thing, just that I'm absolute rubbish trying to play them with a controller, even with gyro.
Portal 2 is such a masterpiece of a game, even just the mechanics of it but the humour really elevates it for me.

Cotillion

JaxonH

Analog-gyro is a combination that works beautifully, unfortunately, it necessitates having the correct sensitivities, for both the right analog and the gyro. And when the sensitivity is set incorrectly, people hate it and don’t get good results.

When you have the Gyro sensitivity set to where it’s a good response with your real motions and movement on the TV, so that your natural range of tilt is just enough to make the cursor travel from one side of the screen to the other, you’ve nailed it. Often people have it set too high to the point it’s jittery and just flat out hard to control. Or people have it set to low to the point it’s not really effective and barely has any travel. There’s a sweet spot you have to nail but when you nail it it’s the most wonderful control scheme ever devised. I don’t think anything will ever offer the accuracy of a proper mouse pad but it offers 90% of the accuracy with 10x the comfort, so it’s a value, bang for buck kind of thing.

I really encourage anyone who has not truly given Gyro a chance to practice with a proper control config. I have one for Portal 2 using Steam Controller, one for DOOM, and one for the Wolfenstein games. Which I would be happy to post In the Steam Controller menu ( many of mine were based on the configs of others already available, but finally tuned to perfection).

Portal 2 is, perhaps, my favorite game of all time. Ever. It’s a masterpiece. The first was also a masterpiece but the second one, with the super speed paint and bouncy paint and white Portal paint and the beams that carry objects... just brilliant. And the puzzles are not easy either. They really make you think, which makes you feel incredibly good about yourself when you figure out a puzzle.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BruceCM

How many games have you got, then, @JaxonH....?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

@BruceCM
I’m still trying to figure that out myself

BruceCM

Oh, OK, lols .... Steam says how many you have in your library there, for instance?

SW-4357-9287-0699

JaxonH

@BruceCM

Granted, I don’t buy cheap indies and stuff like a lot of people do. Only bigger games and the super high quality indies. But I quit buying anything I already own on Switch, and I uninstalled nearly every game I also own on Switch. Basically my new policy is:

1 If it’s on Switch, buy on Switch *see note

2 If it’s not on Switch, buy on X1X/SeriesX, unless it has aiming that could benefit from gyro... then buy on Steam.

3 If it’s PS exclusive and will likely stay that way, buy on PS4/PS5.

Note If it’s on Switch, but is really, really dialed back graphically, do one of the following: if it has aiming that can be enhanced with gyro, then double dip on Steam, otherwise, double dip on X1X/SeriesX

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

JaxonH wrote:

Portal 2 is, perhaps, my favorite game of all time. Ever. It’s a masterpiece. The first was also a masterpiece but the second one, with the super speed paint and bouncy paint and white Portal paint and the beams that carry objects... just brilliant. And the puzzles are not easy either. They really make you think, which makes you feel incredibly good about yourself when you figure out a puzzle.

Interesting. I'm not sure I've ever heard you talk about the Portal series before.

I'd be comfortable putting the original Portal in a top 25 games of all time list. It's clever, fun, and perfectly paced.

I liked Portal 2 as well, but it felt a bit overly long and unnecessary story-wise. Still great, though. It was a real looker when it first released, too.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Oh I love Portal. It’s always been one of my top top top favorites along with Metroid Prime games. It was my number one desired game on the Vita back in the day. But that never happened. One of my biggest inspirations for buying a Win 2 was Portal 1/2 on a handheld and Metroid Prime 1/2 on a handheld.

It’s just been so long and I lost hope of the games ever making their way to a handheld proper, so I don’t talk about them much, especially on a Nintendo site. But playing the game recently re-sparked that love, especially with the Steam Controller and gyro.

I actually thought the game was shorter than expected. I wish they had spent a little bit more time with the blue, orange and white paint and beam puzzles. But I suppose the game is a good length when it ends before it wears out his welcome. I still need to go back and play the first one because it’s been way too long.

I think Portal, Metroid Prime and Shadow of the Colossus were my fave games from back in the day. I will literally buy any VR headset I have to if they make a new Portal VR game.

Zuljaras

Recently I started gaming on my PC again because of the best thing that ever happened to PC gaming … GOG!

How I have Heroes of Might and Magic from 1 to 5 (+ Chronicles), Disciples 2 and the Painkiller Collection.
The best part is that I can play the Heroes games on my tablet without the need of a mouse or keyboard

Grumblevolcano

With Microsoft being so focused on PC nowadays and Master Chief Collection being a massive step forward in that regard, I think we may see more previously Xbox "exclusive" ports and remasters for PC in the future. Stuff like Gears 2 and 3, Rare Replay where the 360 games are part of the collection instead of separate downloads, Fable 1-3, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Can I just say, the Steam Controller truly is the greatest controller ever made... and it’s not even close.

I can’t believe so many people (including myself) slept on this controller for so long. Only now that it’s been discontinued are people realizing how valuable it really is. It took a few years for the community config file database to build up as well, so there’s that. But now that practically every game has a community config with near perfect, insanely in depth and well done controls already set up, which usually only requires slight modification to your liking, this controller is a monster. It’s a monster!

I’m watching this video on the things you can do with it and my mind... it’s blown. It’s just blown. After my excellent experience with it in Portal 2, and now seeing everything it can do, The only question running through my mind is how could I be so stupidly ignorant to not see it for what it really is this whole time- a masterwork controller that we may never see the likes of in our lifetime again. And I don’t mean to be dramatic- I’m dead serious. Now that it’s been discontinued, we may have just lost the greatest controller to grace gaming in our lifetimes. I’m going to stock up with two extras just to be safe. Should have bought when they are in the fire sale for $5 a piece, but right now I’ll pay the $40. Because once they’re gone they’re gone.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll release a revision. Something tells me that’s not going to happen though.

And this is a great analysis/history/breakdown of the controller and the evolution from trackballs to the Steam Controller, and even touches on Nintendo’s history and foray into motion aiming and its evolution into what’s included in the Steam Controller.

Edited on by JaxonH

BruceCM

Fair enough, @JaxonH .... I almost always get things on Switch, if they're available for it, too Obviously, not if it's on XBox One or PC awhile before, though! I don't have a PS4, so there's all those games I can get on Steam Along with some games I have on XB1 that I can also play on PC & obviously GamePass stuff

SW-4357-9287-0699

JaxonH

Every day I become even more amazed at Steam Controller functionality.

Changed my global settings to take in game screenshots when I hold the Home button and press A, and it turns the controller off when I hold home and press Y.

Modified a config for Wolfenstein New Order for Steam Controller rather than the PS4 controller, and I like it even more. I mapped a short press on the left grip paddle to jump, and long press to be crouch. You can adjust the time required to hold it before it activates a long press. I said it really low but long enough that it doesn’t get confused with jump. And with my action button mapped to the right grip, and reload on a long press of the right grip, lean on left bumper, grenades on right, aim with left trigger, shoot with right trigger, run with analog click, melee with right pad click and gyro always on, I’ve created a monster of a control configuration where I can do everything in the game without lifting my thumbs from the left analog and right trackpad. Aside from the map and changing the laser gun functionality, which is mapped to left touchpad segments like a d-pad.

This is amazing! Connected my Arctis 1 Wireless I bought for Switch to my PC, and now I feel like I’m getting the ultimate experience 99% of gamers will never understand.

@BruceCM
My brother is big into Gamepass. Personally I only mess with games sold on the Steam store, but there is no denying there is great interaction between Xbox and PC.

BruceCM

Well, I got Ultimate with my XB1, @JaxonH .... Since they had the deal on, I got a year then & got 6 months for PC with the computer, which got converted to 4 more of ultimate
I haven't really played many yet but it's handy to have the option! There are still games that don't support controllers, like Witcher 1 but most seem to. Hardly needed to look at the settings for mine in Steam yet, other than when it came up on initial plug-in but I gather there's plenty of customisation

SW-4357-9287-0699

JaxonH

@BruceCM
Tons of customization. Beyond your wildest dreams.

Games like The Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc. it’s surprising how many games didn’t support controllers or only partially supported them. It wasn’t really until the last 5 years that game started fully integrating support consistently. But even for games that do, being able to customize gyro and the buttons with paddle grips however you want, makes me never want to play a game on another platform again. Be sure to have the overlay setting turned on (from desktop mode- ViewSettingsIn-GameUse the Big Picture Overlay when using a Steam Input enabled controller from the desktop), and just press Home during gameplay to access the config editor and community DB. And that’s for any Controller.

Rising tide raises all ships, and the Steam Controller config editor brought the same customization to every controller through the same interface.

Also love the screenshot feature in STEAM. Feels just like Switch. I told it where I want to store my screenshots, set the shortcut I wanted, and now taking screenshots is super easy in-game, and shows them on the game’s info page with options to delete. Steam is incredible. Such innovation. They really did do everything they could to bring PC gaming to the couch... and were about as successful as I could imagine doing it.

Edited on by JaxonH

BruceCM

Cool, I'll probably find that useful eventually, @JaxonH... Generally, I've got used to the standard XBox One configs, so most games I've played with controller so far seem similar enough to that

SW-4357-9287-0699

JaxonH

@BruceCM
I think most games are modeled after the standard Xbox config, just with tweaks to add gyro and, for Steam controller, map trackpad to camera control and add easy button shortcuts to the backside grips. But it's all pretty much the same otherwise.

BruceCM

It'd make sense, really, @JaxonH.... Games generally have some options for controls, as well, anyway Glad there's more available if wanted, though!
Anyway, Happy New Year to everyone

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic