Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 281 to 300 of 2,134

ThePirateCaptain

unrandomsam wrote:

6ch6ris6 wrote:

@nano-chicken xpadder looks good but it does cost money. arent there free alternatives?

There is one called joy2key but the free version is quite hard to find these days.

http://149.255.108.232/joy2key_freeware.zip (No guarantees the link will be kept alive forever).

I use joy2key but I never had trouble finding the free version. I just went to their website and got it from there.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

6ch6ris6

@Ryu_Niiyama what card do you have right now and what are you planning to buy?

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Ryu_Niiyama

@6ch6ris6 I have a GTX 570 HD which has run everything I've thrown at it but it doesn't have a ton of vram (1280MB) which is why Skyrim now crashes (I've replaced pretty much everything texture wise on that game...look gorgeous though) since the biggest changes are on the actual landscape I can still play the game if I'm inside a cave or something.

I'm looking at the GTX 970 or the 980 but I think I'll hold out until Nvidia announces the replacement for the 900 series. I don't mind paying 300-400 for a GPU because they last me a while (bought my card in 2012 and it came out in 2011 I think) but I don't know if I want to pay 600-700. I can come up with the cash (working three jobs has to be worth something right?) but its the knowing that if I wait it will be much cheaper that keeps my wallet in my pocket.

The card plays everything else I have just fine but this is the excuse I need to build a third desktop so I can play rts games again. My gaming pc is hooked up to my tv and I can't read the text for rts games that way. The work computer has no games on it and I'm trying to keep it that way.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

nacho_chicken

SuperWiiU wrote:

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@6ch6ris6: Don't forget about GlovePIE. It's free and you can use it for Wiimotes and such.

I've tried some of the above, but not GlovePIE. But it seems their site is down.

It's up now. http://glovepie.org/glovepie_download.php
Be warned that it looks like a 90's site and the guy who made it is a whack-job conspiracy theorist. Other than that, it's great!

On Graphics cards, I'll probably have to upgrade eventually... Currently running a Radeon R9 270x. Got it because I decided to stick it to Nvidia (or, rather, EVGA) when my 660 didn't work right and sounded like a jet taking off. I don't have any game I can't run at max everything, but I'm not really into AAA games, so that doesn't matter to me much.

Star Wars Battlefront III might make my computer finally cry, though.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

SuperWiiU

nacho_chicken wrote:

SuperWiiU wrote:

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@6ch6ris6: Don't forget about GlovePIE. It's free and you can use it for Wiimotes and such.

I've tried some of the above, but not GlovePIE. But it seems their site is down.

It's up now. http://glovepie.org/glovepie_download.php
Be warned that it looks like a 90's site and the guy who made it is a whack-job conspiracy theorist. Other than that, it's great!

On Graphics cards, I'll probably have to upgrade eventually... Currently running a Radeon R9 270x. Got it because I decided to stick it to Nvidia (or, rather, EVGA) when my 660 didn't work right and sounded like a jet taking off. I don't have any game I can't run at max everything, but I'm not really into AAA games, so that doesn't matter to me much.

Star Wars Battlefront III might make my computer finally cry, though.

Great, thanks. I noticed the old site looking just the same kind of weird, sadly it only offered a link to the new at-the-time down site to download it.

I have lot's of upgrading to do on my PC. But with dozens of things to spend a lot of money on, it may well be some time before I get to fully upgrade. First thing will be going for a top of the line i7. My graphics card is old too , but it doesn't seem to be the crux in the performance of any of the more recent games I've played.

R_Champ

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

@6ch6ris6 I have a GTX 570 HD which has run everything I've thrown at it but it doesn't have a ton of vram (1280MB) which is why Skyrim now crashes (I've replaced pretty much everything texture wise on that game...look gorgeous though) since the biggest changes are on the actual landscape I can still play the game if I'm inside a cave or something.

I'm looking at the GTX 970 or the 980 but I think I'll hold out until Nvidia announces the replacement for the 900 series. I don't mind paying 300-400 for a GPU because they last me a while (bought my card in 2012 and it came out in 2011 I think) but I don't know if I want to pay 600-700. I can come up with the cash (working three jobs has to be worth something right?) but its the knowing that if I wait it will be much cheaper that keeps my wallet in my pocket.

The card plays everything else I have just fine but this is the excuse I need to build a third desktop so I can play rts games again. My gaming pc is hooked up to my tv and I can't read the text for rts games that way. The work computer has no games on it and I'm trying to keep it that way.

I found the best bet for computer parts (even GPUs) is to wait for the next line of cards to come out, which then drastically reduces the price of the card you want. I got my 750ti Superclcked (great budget card BTW...and yes the "Superclocked" matters!), for like a third of the price of the 900-series EVGA cards because I just waited for the 900's to release and push the price of old cards down.

Looking on places like Newegg for sweet deals (and free shipping) and some informed reviews really helps as well.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

nacho_chicken

The Humble Bundle store is having a HUGE sale right now.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store

2K, SEGA, Rockstar, Bethesda, Paradox, Bandai Namco; you name it, it's on sale. Plenty of indies, too. Isaac, Hatoful Boyfriend, Nidhogg, Papers Please, Hotline Miami, Gunpoint, FTL, Risk of Rain, and much more - for dollars each.

Jet Set Radio is $1. Psychonauts is $1. Stealth Basta- errr, Inc. is 1$.
ONE. DOLLAR.
Don't have them? BUY THEM NOW.

Twitter:

6ch6ris6

did someone say jet set radio for 1$ ???

how does humble bundle work? ist it bound to steam? or any other form of DRM?
jet set radio is also on sale on steam for the same price, but not the deus ex bundle.

edit: oh okay i think it depends on the game. some must be activated with steam and some dont.
just bought jet set radio for 0,79€. what a steal!

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Geonjaha

6ch6ris6 wrote:

jet set radio is also on sale on steam for the same price, but not the deus ex bundle.

edit: oh okay i think it depends on the game. some must be activated with steam and some dont.

Humble usually gives you a DRM free copy with them, and also a Steam key - so its the best of both worlds. The only time you don't get a DRM-free copy is when the game is Steam-exclusive in the first place. Do confirm about Steam keys though, because they aren't given for every game.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

nacho_chicken

6ch6ris6 wrote:

From what I remember, the Steam version has some horrible glitch where it won't save correctly due to some idiot at SEGA making a mistake during a patch. This can be circumvented by downloading a cracked jetsetradio.exe. I obviously can't provide a link here, but know that that's how you fix said problem.

Twitter:

WebHead

Shame I've never fully embraced PC gaming. Trying my best to save for a decent computer. I'm just not technically inclined to build one. Yes I heard of the Lego's comparison...but I was never good with legos.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

nacho_chicken

WebHead wrote:

Shame I've never fully embraced PC gaming. Trying my best to save for a decent computer. I'm just not technically inclined to build one. Yes I heard of the Lego's comparison...but I was never good with legos.

Building a computer is nothing like building with LEGO. I would compare it more to a desk that says "some assembly required" (EG http://www.walmart.com/ip/17164049). All the holes are pre-drilled, it comes with all the boards and screws you'll need, and there's only one way to put it together. It's not like you need to go and saw the wood into planks, then saw the planks to fit. For that specific desk (which I own), you don't need anything more than a screwdriver and a bit of patience.

Sites like https://pcpartpicker.com/ make it as easy to build your own PC as that desk. It'll tell you how much it'll cost for the parts you selected, it'll tell you if the CPU isn't compatible with the motherboard, it'll tell you if your Graphics card is too big for the case you chose, and it'll tell you if you need a better power supply.

There's only one way a PC will go together. Read the instructions, follow the static electricity safety warnings, and it's virtually impossible to screw it up.

@6ch6ris6
Well, my Steam copy of Jet Set Radio is saving fine. Huh.

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Twitter:

Gridatttack

Playing Skyrim again. this time properly, as this laptop I got can properly play the game (last time I had to use a mod to downgrade skyrim so I could play it)

Also, it plays fine with a gamecube controller. Last time I had to play with a keyboard...
But I do miss the favorite key...
Might swap it for the sprint button.

Edited on by Gridatttack

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

6ch6ris6

i got gta4, jet set radio, just cause 2, thief collection (4 games with all Add-ons/DLC) and system shock 2 for under 21€ with the humble spring sale

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

nacho_chicken

6ch6ris6 wrote:

i got gta4, jet set radio, just cause 2, thief collection (4 games with all Add-ons/DLC) and system shock 2 for under 21€ with the humble spring sale

Welcome to PC gaming, enjoy your stay.
Untitled
I can stop whenever I want. I just don't want to.

I highly recommend getting Samurai Gunn for $5. It hardly ever goes on sale (MSRP $15), and it's one of the best couch multiplayer games this side of Speedrunners. If you fondly remember playing Jump'n'Bump on MS-DOS with your friends, this game will take you WAY back. Nidhogg is also a great couch multiplayer game, and it has online as well.

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Twitter:

edhe

Pahvi wrote:

Installed old Monolith classics... Alien vs Predator 2, No One Lives Forever 2 and No One Lives Forever 1. To my surprise, they weren't "that hard" to get running on my 64-bit Win7.

I'm so jealous. I tried everything to get NOLF to work on my computer (Win7 also). I even tried installing it on someone's Vista, but it was impossible. What did you do to get it to work?

I hope they release it on GOG some day. I never finished it.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

6ch6ris6

i am so afraid of the steam summer sale. i already have a backlog of games that'd last me over a year lol

my 3DS is only turned on for streetpass and toilette sessions :/
and i have a got myself a xbox a few months ago.

oh my...

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

6ch6ris6

so i got gta4 on steam. my PC is way stronger than the system requirements for the game but i can not run the game on the best settings. most of it is on high but not all of it. with the automatic configuration i get most settings on high and 55fps. now this isnt bad of course but i wonder why i barely get 30fps when everything is set on high. is this due to the game being not so well optimized for pc?

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

SuperWiiU

6ch6ris6 wrote:

so i got gta4 on steam. my PC is way stronger than the system requirements for the game but i can not run the game on the best settings. most of it is on high but not all of it. with the automatic configuration i get most settings on high and 55fps. now this isnt bad of course but i wonder why i barely get 30fps when everything is set on high. is this due to the game being not so well optimized for pc?

Yes, GTA 4 is notorious for it's terrible optimization for PC.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic