Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 221 to 240 of 2,134

crazycrazydave

Good news guys. Sorry to harp on about this subject but Valve have removed ALL paid mods from Skyrim and have refunded all the money to those that purchased them. Although this may rear it's ugly head in the future, for now, paid mods are gone. I couldn't be happier! It was never going to work without some sort of abuse going on. Well done to all who voiced their complaints and signed the petition!

Edited on by crazycrazydave

We're going on a bear hunt! We're going to catch a big one!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4881-6959
Super Mario Maker levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/crazycrazydave?type=posted

rallydefault

Wow - very nice to hear! I'll have to hop over to my PC gaming sites and check out their reporting on that.

rallydefault

gcunit

Over time the market will decide. If enough people are willing to pay for mods then paid mods will have a future.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

R_Champ

crazycrazydave wrote:

Good news guys. Sorry to harp on about this subject but Valve have removed ALL paid mods from Skyrim and have refunded all the money to those that purchased them. Although this may rear it's ugly head in the future, for no, paid mods are gone. I couldn't be happier! It was never going to work without some sort of abuse going on. Well done to all who voiced their complaints and signes the petition!

Sweet. One of my favorite thing about PC gaming is how open it is. Paid mods were BS (along the lines of day-one DLC and PSN/Xbox Live paying for online), and I'll definitely fight to keep them at bay.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

unrandomsam

crazycrazydave wrote:

Good news guys. Sorry to harp on about this subject but Valve have removed ALL paid mods from Skyrim and have refunded all the money to those that purchased them. Although this may rear it's ugly head in the future, for now, paid mods are gone. I couldn't be happier! It was never going to work without some sort of abuse going on. Well done to all who voiced their complaints and signed the petition!

If it really is that simple to cost companies lots of money I am surprised it is not used more.

(Like e.g on Nintendo for the people who want the normal New 3DS in the US).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

kyuubikid213

Super newbie questions to ask, but...

How expensive would it be to build a decent gaming PC?
Is it hard to does it just require patience?
How often would I really have to upgrade my video/graphics/sound/etc cards?

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

MajinSoul

I'm glad they got rid of this so fast, however I'm surprised that there were people who supported this system. They already got 10k $ from people buying these mods. Well, why am I surprised. If people were actual smart consumers we wouldn't be where we are right now with all those broken releases, day-one dlc/season passes on unfinished games and hype selling games instead of actual quality.

MajinSoul

Nintendo Network ID: UtoKid | Twitter:

6ch6ris6

damn im so addicted to skyrim. got myself a 360 controller. crawling through dungeons stealth-killing the enemies with my bow is such a pleasure

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Ryu_Niiyama

Just got Mortal Kombat X....It is nice enough (never been a MK fan but as a fighting game fan I felt compelled to get it) but I'm not impressed by the visuals. And I have the game maxed out... I'm not sure WHAT I was expecting...but I feel underwhelmed.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

CanisWolfred

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Just got Mortal Kombat X....It is nice enough (never been a MK fan but as a fighting game fan I felt compelled to get it) but I'm not impressed by the visuals. And I have the game maxed out... I'm not sure WHAT I was expecting...but I feel underwhelmed.

That sounds like a computer problem. Clearly we must use the solution that fixes every computer problem:

Untitled

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

crazycrazydave

@kyuubikid213 You'll be suprised at how cheap you can build a gaming PC. I will tell you that it is more expensive than buying a console initially, but with frugal buying, you can build something that easily outperforms the Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U easily.

E.g I build my gaming rig 2 years ago. My graphics card in it is 3 years old. It cost me around £660 for EVERYTHING in it (including a keyboard and Windows 7, got a mouse separately as a present). There are a few things in it that aren't needed (I bought an SSD, a few fans and a liquid cooling system, a HDD is enough if you want to be cheap). So the cost is actually now about £570. At the time I built this rig, the Xbox One and PS4 were just out, retailing at £420 (with Kinect) and £350 respectively.

You can build a rig around £500 that will outdo the PS4/Xbox One. Look to PCpartpicker or hotukdeals and you can usually find parts for cheap. If you live elsewhere, i'm sure there's a website that has good deals on the parts you want. You can spend more if it suits you, and you do not need to upgrade your parts every year like the average console fanboy would have you believe. Most parts might need replacing after 2-3 years but you can sometimes get a full 5 year lifespan with a certain part.

It might mean more money at first, but PC games are 90% of the time always cheaper than console games (even when bought brand new). Games are where you save money. You can't beat deals like Humble Bundle on consoles.

Controllers is another area you save money (with the right adapters, you can use any controller or mouse/keyboard you like). PS4 and Xbox One controllers are generally over £35, but if you have older consoles, you can get the drivers and use those on your PC. If you use Windows, you can use wired or wireless (requires adapter) Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers as Windows already has the drivers for them. Steam has the drivers for Xbox 360 controllers regardless of your OS. I use a wired Xbox 360 controller for my PC and they are generally cheaper than Xbox One/PS4 controllers. Most games nowadays are compatible with controllers.

Next is free online. You don't need a PS+ or Xbox Live Gold subscription to play multiplayer online on PC. That's a £40 saving a year. Yes you might get free games ("free" on PS+) but you're not always guaranteed to get something good or a game that interests you. From my experience with the Vita, I've only seen indie games available for "free" on PS+.

It requires a little patience and sometimes, things don't just work. There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube and all you need for building a PC is a screwdriver. Sometimes parts don't work, but you can usually get a free replacement if you buy from most websites (covered by manufacturers warranty). One of my RAM sticks didn't work and I got a free replacement, and haven't ran into any major problems since then. If you persevere, you'll enjoy doing building your PC, and can get a greater experience than you could with a console. You get what you put in and you'll have a massive library of games to explore, both in the past and in future.

Sorry for the long post, you can probably tell i'm into PC a lot.

We're going on a bear hunt! We're going to catch a big one!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4881-6959
Super Mario Maker levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/crazycrazydave?type=posted

Ryu_Niiyama

CanisWolfred wrote:

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

That sounds like a computer problem. Clearly we must use the solution that fixes every computer problem:

LOL! My rig can run it maxed out... I think I got swayed by trailers.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Chris720

kyuubikid213 wrote:

Super newbie questions to ask, but...

How expensive would it be to build a decent gaming PC?
Is it hard to does it just require patience?
How often would I really have to upgrade my video/graphics/sound/etc cards?

PC might be more expensive to begin with but it works out cheaper in the end, I built mine early this year (replaced my old one from last year) and it plays most new games at max settings and looks a lot better than the console versions, not that I'm a graphics snob or anything, they just do.

If you don't want to build your computer, either because you don't want to or don't feel confident to do so, I highly recommend checking out Cyberpower. You "build" your PC from scratch by changing out the tower, changing the CPU etc. and they calculate the bill for you to show you how much it will cost to build. Send the request and within a week they'll have it built, tested and shipped to you ready to use.

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

@Chris720 - I've been trying to remember that company name for a while. But question: Do you have to get a tower with those stupid glowing neon lights? That seems to be a thing nowadays, but I can't stand it (they're waste of energy, bright and distracting, and no way would I be able to sleep with that machine on with all those lights...). I know you can turn them off, but I don't want to pay for something I don't need...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ryu_Niiyama

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Chris720 - I've been trying to remember that company name for a while. But question: Do you have to get a tower with those stupid glowing neon lights? That seems to be a thing nowadays, but I can't stand it (they're waste of energy, bright and distracting, and no way would I be able to sleep with that machine on with all those lights...). I know you can turn them off, but I don't want to pay for something I don't need...

Oddly enough it took me years to learn how to sleep without that light blue glow (my pc is in my living room now). I still wake up if the fans shut off (due to power outage).

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Chris720

CanisWolfred wrote:

Some come with the neon lights as standard, some don't. My tower comes with lights around the front facing fan and that's it, you can pay extra for the neon lights inside the actual tower to illuminate all your cables and stuff if you really wanted to. To be honest, it's nice to look at when you first get it, after that it's just an annoying bright light in your face.

P.S. Why can't this site come with some sort of notification system? I never know if someone tagged me in a post/comment or not and then I randomly find one.

Edited on by Chris720

YouTube

CanisWolfred

Chris720 wrote:

P.S. Why can't this site come with some sort of notification system? I never know if someone tagged me in a post/comment or not and then I randomly find one.

We do. It's in the settings.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chris720

CanisWolfred wrote:

Chris720 wrote:

We do. It's in the settings.

I checked through all that and it's all on, but where do the notifications go? My email?

YouTube

3dcaleb

so i just got a top of the line gaming pc as a gift, and im super exited to play on it, but i have absolutely no idea what im doing. ive been playing consoles and handhelds my entire life, so im a very experienced gamer. but it took me days just to figure out i wanted to play with a controller and not a mouse or keyboard. anybody have any advice for me? or know of a website thats as great as this one, but is pc games instead of nintendo? anybody that knows about pc gaming feel like answering a bunch of my dumb questions? hehehe. like any game recommendations that are pc only. thanks.

playing mostly - fantasy life, sword art online: hollow fragment, pokemon x&y, solatorobo, freedom wars, dragon ball z battle of z, futuridium. just got & about to play soon - shin megami tensei IV, one piece romance dawn & unlimited world red, muramasa rebirth, gundam seed battle ...

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4913-8635 | Nintendo Network ID: 3DCALEB

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic