Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 9,861 to 9,880 of 9,907

Jaz007

@edhe: I don't know about external, I swapped my 40GB out for 50GB hard drive on my PS3.

Jaz007

Jaz007

So I got the Devi May Cry HD collection. I'm enjoying the first one. Is the second one really as bad as they say it is?

Jaz007

Peek-a-boo

@Jaz007: Yes, it is.

Mainly because Dante as a character is absurdly different to the first game and the lady character (on the second disc) is a complete waste of time and is not particularly enjoyable. I will say that some of Dante's new move set is pretty good, and is more stylist to look at than in the original, even though the combat feels 'off'.

While I have nothing but good memories of the first game, I do prefer playing the third one most, purely because you are able to switch styles, let alone weapons, and that makes for an absurdly brilliant experience. It is still the best combat system of the entire series too.

For me, gameplay wise, DMC3 > DMC > DMC2 (a distance third) whereas for the game itself, DMC > DMC3 > DMC2 (again, a distance third!).

Peek-a-boo

LzWinky

Reviving this thread to say one thing: I got a PS3 again

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

edhe

I've just heard that the old PS3 has the capability to play PS2 and/or PSone games. How can I tell whether my PS3 can do this? I believe it needs to be of the first generation or so, and even then, the following models stripped out PS2 compatibilty. Can someone give me the lowdown?

If this is so, I can actually buy some PS2 games I've always wanted to play like Dark Cloud, and I'll be able to get Persona 4 in prep for when I eventually get Persona 5 (but after I beat Persona 3).

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Peek-a-boo

@edhe: You need the following:

a) A lot of money.
b) A hefty amount of precaution, knowing that the first models have a higher likelihood of the 'yellow light' issue.
c) A fair bit of patience as finding one of those early models is surprisingly difficult.

Or buy yourself a PlayStation 4, and for less money than it would cost if you decide to go hunting for the original model too, and purchase an upgraded (digital) version of Dark Cloud on the PlayStation store for $14.99. I believe Persona 4 is joining the Classics line-up next year some time.

Good luck though, whichever path you choose to follow!

Peek-a-boo

mid_55

@edhe: You need a 1st gen 60gb PS3 console, and then the plastic section next to the disc swallowing chasm (technical term) can be lifted up to reveal controller and memory ports. As far as I'm aware no other models than the original 60gb have this feature, and many 1st gen PS3s are unreliable now. Good luck!

mid_55

Switch Friend Code: SW-0316-0049-0332 | My Nintendo: mid_55

edhe

I've read up on Wikipedia, and it seems, firstly, that the hardware-based backwards compatible PS3s were not released in Europe.

According to the wikipedia entry, all models are PS1 backward compatible, which is nice.

However, I believe my unit was originally a 40GB model (I doubt the previous owner changed the HDD), and so it's a third generation one, and I'm out of luck.

I'm annoyed that neither Dark Cloud or Persona 4 are available on the EU Playstation Store for the PS3, but I can't really justify buying a PS4 just so I can play them. Same goes for a PS2, as cheap as it would probably be. But I'm sure there are plenty of PS3 exclusive games I can look into in the future. So far I've got LittleBigPlanet 3, and on the Playstation Store, Suikoden, UmJammer Lammy, Grandia, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and of course, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (which I'm yet to actually start).

My games to buy next year are currently Lost Dimension (on the back of a Destructoid review I just happened to read) and Persona 5. I'd have a lot more JRPGs on the list like the Neptunia games if they hadn't recently become available on Steam.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Gamer83

Anybody else playing Yakuza 5? Never thought in 2015 I'd be going back to PS3 but there's just something about these games. I love the old school feel to it and it's got a more lively and fun open world to explore than even some of the current-gen games I've played.

Gamer83

Shinion

@edhe: yeah I'm with you about Persona 4, baffling that Atlus don't/can't get their act together and put it on the PlayStation Store in the EU. I don't know if Sony have anything to do with it, but I'm blaming them too. Because. Persona will never be a success, and it's stupid things like this that will prevent 5 from doing well, even Nintendo aren't this bad.

Shinion

clvr

Hi everyone, first time posting on this thread. I'm writing here because I'm seriously tempted by Tower Of Guns but I'm not completely sold yet; it appeals me as it looks like a bizarre FPS/bullet hell hybrid with vibrant, comic-like cel-shaded graphics, but I'm abit worried about its length 'cause I've read it only lasts a couple of hours.
So, if anyone of you has played it, I'd like you to share your opinions thank you!

Clover.

My Nintendo: clvr51 | Nintendo Network ID: clvr51

RevolverLink

I managed to get Steins;Gate, Trails of Cold Steel, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and Katamari Forever over the holidays, so those should all tide me over for a good long while - especially since a couple of Steam games, Downwell and Trails in the Sky, are absorbing all of my gaming time. What I've played of Katamari Forever and Steins;Gate have been nice - though Steins;Gate starts out really slowly, even when compared to its anime adaptation. And Katamari gameplay is pretty hard to screw up, even if I do wish there were more than a handful of new stages.

As a big fan of the big cheesey, manly soap opera that is the Yakuza series, I feel a bit guilty about not having bought Yakuza 5 already, but funds are limited. It was basically a choice between that and Trails of Cold Steel, and the latter was the one with a physical release (plus, I generally like supporting smaller publishers like XSEED when I can).

Edited on by RevolverLink

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

RevolverLink

It's a shame that Trails of Cold Steel released so late in the PS3's life span, because my goodness am I having a blast with it. Definitely one of my favorite JRPGs I've played in the last few years.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

RR529

SSBMarioFan wrote:

Which PS3 models have backwards compability?

PS2 - Only the first run models, I believe. From what I hear, they can be quite expensive to obtain nowadays, and are unreliable.

PS1 - All of them.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Chibita64

I'm crossing my fingers that the next Flash Sale is good. The last one I missed out on, and that one had good deals.

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
Currently watching: Hack My Life, Impractical Jokers
YUGAMI NEE NA!

Ryu_Niiyama

Has anyone had issues with updating the playstation store on their ps3? I have an 40gb (the spiderman movie bundle) and I can connect to the internet, update the firmware...everything else just fine. I've tried both ethernet and wifi. (I'll post the error code later but it just references a network issue) I have not ghosted it yet as I want that as a last resort. (all my hard work on the Yakuza series would go down the drain). However I'm running out of ideas.... My ps4 connects just fine. As to the rest of my systems that use the internet.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ryu_Niiyama

@Gamer83: I'm still on 3 unfortunately, but I just bought 5 a few months ago. I'm trying to hold off on buying zero and ishin until I hit 4.But since I'm transcribing the text while I play and I have way too many systems/backlog... I'll likely get those two games soon. I swear Virtua Fighter and Yakuza are the reasons I can't turn my back on SEGA.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Rumorlife

Wtf, I HAD NO IDEA that ALL PS3 systems were backwards compatible with PS1. Even my Super Slim wowowow. Holy lord, I'm gonna be so poor at the used game store.
Not region free, but that still opens many opportunities.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Chibita64

@Dankykong: Don't worry, you're not alone with that. I barely realized that until one day last year when I thought to myself, "Hmmm, what will happen if I pop in my copy of R-Types into my PS3?"

Edited on by Chibita64

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
Currently watching: Hack My Life, Impractical Jokers
YUGAMI NEE NA!

Rumorlife

My mind has been officially blown. I'm playing Caesar's Palace (random as hell) but I can't believe it haha. Thank goodness I decided to pop in and check @RR529 's post.

Rumorlife

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.