Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 9,601 to 9,620 of 9,907

mookysam

Play Ni No Kuni!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Peach64

I had a 30 day PS+ trial code, so I used that to get a discount on the PSOne Classics I bought, but I'm 99% sure I'll get a year's sub too. Heck, Catherine and Demon Souls are worth the price for a year on their own.

Ni No Kuni is another on my definitely playing list

Peach64

Midnight3DS

Peach64 wrote:

Just bought a PS3! I'd planned to get a PS3 at launch, but 360 impressed me so much at E3 2006, I decided to go with that, and put the PS3 off til later. It feels so nice to have a Dual Shock back in my hands for the first time since I packed up the PS2 to replace it with a 360 in July 06. Ironically, the first thing I did was download a bunch of PSOne classics, and I'm about to get stuck into Metal Gear Solid, but I'll be picking up Uncharted and Infamous over the weekend too.

Check out Legend of Dragoon if you've never played it

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

mookysam

I'm tempted by some of those PS1 sale prices. Crash Bandicoot is only £2 and the Spyro and resident evil bundles are gently whispering "buy me". I might get MGS which will then give me an excuse to get the HD collection.

I'm currently downloading the Final Fantasy XIV beta. Good grief their servers are slow.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Midnight3DS

2 week Summer sale on now at PSN. Ratchet & Clank HD collection is $14.99, or $7.99 with PS+. 3 games... That is hot!!! There's 7 or 8 others. Arkham Asylum is $9.99.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

ThePirateCaptain

I plan on getting a PS3 this holiday season. New console generations are the perfect time to catch up on the old systems.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

e-love

I seriously love Ni No Kuni.

Planning on getting Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 before Lightning Returns comes out

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

kkslider5552000

Emaan wrote:

Planning on getting Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 before Lightning Returns comes out

NO! STOP! IT'S NOT TOO LAAAAATE ;___;

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

8BitSamurai

@Emaan
I highly, highly recommend you avoid anything with FF XIII on it. If you need an RPG fix on the PS3, I recommend trying Tales of Graces f or Ni No Kuni, instead.

Edit: Nevermind on NNK, but I also recommend Disgaea.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

CanisWolfred

Even I'd recommend Final Fantasy XIII-2 over Tales of Graces f at this point. Not by a lot, mind you, but at least it's a fantastic gameplay experience with plenty of exploration and customization, whereas Tales of Gaces f has fantastic combat...and not much else worth a mention. In fact, it falls flat on some areas even harder than FFXIII-2 falls flat on its story.

Of course, with Tales of Xillia coming out next month, I recommend that over both those games.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

citizenerased

I just picked up a PS3, cause they're fairly cheap and I figured there's a ton of games I get for a around $10 that I've been wanting to play. Recommendations welcome!

I picked up:

Guacamelee - What can I say, I adore Metroidvania games. This game oozes style and humour. Gameplay-wise it blends together Metroid, dimension-shifting, Super Meat Boy-esque platforming and Super Smash Bros-like attacks. It even has co-op! I think it's fair to say PSN games may be even more of a reason for me to own a PS3 than the triple A titles.

Assassin's Creed II - Because everyone says this is the best one. Haven't played it yet.

LittleBigPlanet 2 - Not gonna lie, first impression's not too good. I've been playing a ton of NSMBWii, DKCR, Rayman Origins, etc. I don't like floaty jumps and imprecise platforming. I do love the artstyle, but I don't put enough time in games for the customisation. This may have been a bad buy. Mostly did so for the multiplayer.

Burnout Paradise — Shocked though I am that this (and many, many other retail games) no longer support local multiplayer, I'm sure I'll have a blast with this. I've spend a ridiculous amount of hours on Burnout 1 and 2 on the Cube, and getting to know one big city like the back of your hand sounds like a great addition.

Games I'm buying soon: Journey collection, Batman (should I start with Asylum?), Red Dead Redemption, The Unfinished Swan, Sound Shapes, Closure, Shatter, PixelJunk series, Outland

Games I'm contemplating buying: Fat Princess, Joe Danger, Uncharted series, Tokyo Jungle, Prince of Persia 2008, Bayonetta, Bioshock, Jak & Daxter trilogy

note: I'm really not into shooters or realistic racers / realistic sports games. But I may give one or two a shot.

Edited on by citizenerased

Mario Maker 2 level ID: L93-LYQ-YJF

8BitSamurai

Edit: Meant this is a response to @citizenerased, but this got way out of hand...
Note: This is a North American compiled list.
(Taken and added on from my post on the universal recommendation thread) From personal experience, and some skimming off of Metacrtic and Amazon lists
What I've played
Exclusives
Infamous (Open worlds sandbox game)
3D Dot Game Heroes (Retro parody, hillarious, plays like 2D Zelda)
Grand Turismo 5 (Great car sim, IMO, some people didn't think it was all that though)
Uncharted (3rd person shooter)
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time (Hillarious platformer, Full Frontal Assault and All 4 One are spin-offs though)
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (Like Smash Bros. but with Playstation characters, not quite Smash but very enjoyable)
LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2(Extremely creative platformers, focus on user generated content)
Jak and Daxter Collection (PS2 ports, but very high-quality nonetheless, and an extreme steal for the asking price (Less than $20), just ports though, so you definitely don't need it if you have them on PS3)
Tales of Graces F (Exclusive in NA anyways, good RPG, but weak on story/characters)
Atelier series (Light RPGs)
Demon's Souls (Very difficult action RPG)
Non-exclusive
Disgaea 3 (Amazing SRPG, tons of hours of playtime, and it's cheap, I really recommend it, dood!)
Borderlands (Loot collecting FPS with RPG elements)
Sonic Generations (Sonic is back, and with a boom!)
Rayman Origins (Pinnacle of 2D platformers)

What I haven't played, but have heard is good
Exclusives
Infamous 2
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted 2 and 3
Sly Cooper (Stealth/platformer hybrid)
LittleBigPlanet Karting (LittleBigPlanet meets Mario Kart)
God of War (3D beat 'em up I believe, I haven't played the series)
Killzone 1 and 2 (First person-shooters)
Resistance Series (See above)
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (See Jak and Daxter Collection)
Journey (Highly artistic, moving game)
MotorStorm series (Racing series)
Katamari Forever (Very unique, you'd have to look up videos)
Yakuza series (Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it plays like Japanese GTA)
Disgaea 4
Valkyria Chronicles (Strategy game)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (Stealth game)
Eternal Sonata (Stylized RPG)
Non-exclusive
Battlefield 3 (Good FPS, but saturated genre)
Borderlands 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Strategy game, not played it yet, but my brother tells me tons of good things about it)
Batman: Arkham Asylum / City (Action games)
Red Dead Redemption (Open worlds shooter)
Dead Space Series (Sci-fi horror, third-person shooter)
Persona 4 Arena (Excellent fighting game spin-off)
Bayonetta (Action game, but get it on the 360 if you have one, the PS3 port was sloppy I hear)
Metro: Last Light (FPS / RPG deal I believe, I don't know much about it)
Bioshock series (First-person shooters)
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (Strategy game, not supposed to be as in-depth as PC releases)
Soulcalibur IV (Fighter)
The King of Fighters XIII (See above)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (Another fighter)
LEGO series (A lot of fun, especially multiplayer)
Far Cry 3 (Open worlds FPS)
NBA 2K13 (Basketball game)
Portal 2 (First-person puzzle game)
Fallout 3 (Bethesda RPG)
Mass Effect (Bioware RPG)
Vanquish (Shooter)
MLB '13: The Show (Baseball game, on Vita as well)
Assasin's Creed series (Action-Adventure stealth)
Mortal Kombat (Fighter)
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (Kart racer)

My PS Store recommendations
Terraria (2D Sandbox game, amazing!)
Crash Bandicoot trilogy (Naughty Dog platformers)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (The pinnacle of Metroidvania)
Final Fantasy VII-IX (Some of the best the series has to offer, some don't care for VIII, though)
Grandia (Excellent RPG, terrible voice acting though)
Harvest Moon: Return to Nature (Farming / life sim)
Legend of Mana (Great Squaresoft RPG, but lacks cohesive story)
Metal Gear Solid (A very solid entry in the franchise)
Silent Hill (Like Resident Evil)
Suikoden (Another terrific RPG)
Final Fantasy Tactics (Great SRPG, the translation is a mess, though)
Spyro trilogy (Crash's cousin, in a a way)
Wild Arms 1 / 2 (More RPGs)
PixelJunk series (Cheap fun)
Castle Crashers (Beat 'em up)
Wipeout HD (Great futuristic racer)
Sonic CD (Classic Sonic!)

Be on the look out for
Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (R & C are back to platforming!)
Tales of Xillia (Could be the PS3's defining RPG)

There, scratched the surface.

Edit: I think I got a little carried away with that list... @platypus has some good quick recommendations. The good part is, though, there's tons more PS3 games worth playing than this.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

Platypus

citizenerased wrote:

I just picked up a PS3, cause they're fairly cheap and I figured there's a ton of games I get for a around $10 that I've been wanting to play. Recommendations welcome!

I picked up:

Guacamelee - What can I say, I adore Metroidvania games. This game oozes style and humour. Gameplay-wise it blends together Metroid, dimension-shifting, Super Meat Boy-esque platforming and Super Smash Bros-like attacks. It even has co-op! I think it's fair to say PSN games may be even more of a reason for me to own a PS3 than the triple A titles.

Assassin's Creed II - Because everyone says this is the best one. Haven't played it yet.

LittleBigPlanet 2 - Not gonna lie, first impression's not too good. I've been playing a ton of NSMBWii, DKCR, Rayman Origins, etc. I don't like floaty jumps and imprecise platforming. I do love the artstyle, but I don't put enough time in games for the customisation. This may have been a bad buy. Mostly did so for the multiplayer.

Burnout Paradise — Shocked though I am that this (and many, many other retail games) no longer support local multiplayer, I'm sure I'll have a blast with this. I've spend a ridiculous amount of hours on Burnout 1 and 2 on the Cube, and getting to know one big city like the back of your hand sounds like a great addition.

Games I'm buying soon: Journey collection, Batman (should I start with Asylum?), Red Dead Redemption, The Unfinished Swan, Sound Shapes, Closure, Shatter, PixelJunk series, Outland

Games I'm contemplating buying: Fat Princess, Joe Danger, Uncharted series, Tokyo Jungle, Prince of Persia 2008, Bayonetta, Bioshock, Jak & Daxter trilogy

note: I'm really not into shooters or realistic racers / realistic sports games. But I may give one or two a shot.

Start with Arkham Asylum. Both are great games, but Arkham City improved on Asylum's mechanics and controls so much that when I replay Asylum, it feels clunky compared to Arkham city.

If you're considering Fat Princess, you may want to check with someone who owns it(I've only played the demo). It's an online only game and I would suspect the community is dead or won't last much longer.

A game I cannot recommend enough is Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. To me, it's the best in the series and my favorite PS3 game.

The Sly series is another favorite of mine. I owned the games on the ps2 and replayed some of them at least five times, however I don't hear much praise from other people about the series.

EDIT: I forgot Just Cause 2. Great open-world action game.

Edited on by Platypus

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

shingi_70

Start with Asylum. It has a much tighter Narrative and story progression than Arkham City does, Its pretty much a 3D metroidvania.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Splat

citizenerased wrote:

I picked up:

The Last of Us.

Edit: Obviously not around $10 but a must for PS3 owners.

Edited on by Splat

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

irken004

PS+ is an incredible investment too, got it a couple weeks ago and already have Battlefield 3, Oddworld Munch's Oddysey and soon Jet Set Radio for free while I bought Alice Madness Returns with a big + discount.

citizenerased

@8BitSamurai Holy cow, that's a long list.

@Platypus Thanks for the heads up on Batman and Fat Princess. I'll likely skip Fat Princess, and go for Arkham Asylum then. I've heard good things of A Crack in Time. Although the multiplayer of All 4 One attracts me. R&C games do look a little repetitive, though. Sly series do look interesting to me.

@Splat I'm more likely to pick up Uncharted for now. TLOU looks interesting, but I've got so many games to buy I'd rather wait until TLOU is discounted heavily.

@irken004 A question about PS+: do I get access to all the games that have gone free over the past year, or only the ones that are released starting when I start my subscription? I'm not a big fan of subscriptions, or the idea of not being able to replay my games after my subscription ends, to be honest.

Edited on by citizenerased

Mario Maker 2 level ID: L93-LYQ-YJF

irken004

citizenerased wrote:

@irken004 A question about PS+: do I get access to all the games that have gone free over the past year, or only the ones that are released starting when I start my subscription? I'm not a big fan of subscriptions, or the idea of not being able to replay my games after my subscription ends, to be honest.

Unfortunately only the ones currently available when you start the subscription. But new ones are added every month, and there's bound to be plenty that you'll like. And since PS4 makes + a requirement, I thought it'd be nice to subscribe now and enjoy some of its benefits now. Not to mention the cloud game saves, automatic updates for game patches and firmware, and auto trophy sync.

Splat

I also highly recommend PS+. The free games are awesome but like irken004 said the discounts are great at times. I got Mortal Kombat for $5 and LBP Karting for $10. Anything you buy at a discount off PS+ you keep regardless if you stick with PS+ or not.

Edited on by Splat

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

8BitSamurai

I gotta agree with the people who said PS + was a great investment, it pays for itself in a day, let alone a year. Even if you never play the free games, the discounts and other features would make it worth it.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.