Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 9,121 to 9,140 of 9,907

Jaz007

And what exactly proved Gameinformer was bad before? They do a pretty good of everything if you ask me. I'm going to read their review for ni no kuni after I've played the game a bit. Plus they also were looking forward to it before.

Jaz007

Bankai

Jaz007 wrote:

And what exactly proved Gameinformer was bad before? They do a pretty good of everything if you ask me. I'm going to read their review for ni no kuni after I've played the game a bit. Plus they also were looking forward to it before.

It depends on whether their criticisms are valid or not. For most of the GameInformer writers, I can understand where their criticisms are coming from, even if I don't agree. There are one or two writers that tend to lay into games without understanding the genre or the context for the game, however.

In other words half of GameInformer tends to be of Edge quality. The other half is, well, IGN.

CanisWolfred

I'm reading it right now:

Story - He's saying the opposite of what everyone else is saying about the story and the characters. To him the story isn't that strong, and the characters are mostly shallow and just exist to help the main character. He's free to think that, but I have a feeling I'll disagree.

Gameplay - Too old school and difficult to grasp. Most people say it keeps the old school mechanics that work, while the gameplay has too many explanations for what is fairly easy to grasp.

Other than that, he has nothing but good things to say about the game.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Yeah, that's actually a fair point. It isn't that GI is always awful but when they write something stupid, it's quite stupid. And admittedly I haven't exactly kept up with every issue since like 2003.

Though nothing will ever top how the lack of a "spinny jump" prevented Metroid Prime from a perfect score. Admittedly I was partially angry at first because Metroid Prime rules the world and you, but everytime I'm reminded of that, it sounds dumber than the last time I was reminded of it.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bankai

CanisWolfred wrote:

I'm reading it right now:

Story - He's saying the opposite of what everyone else is saying about the story and the characters. To him the story isn't that strong, and the characters are mostly shallow and just exist to help the main character. He's free to think that, but I have a feeling I'll disagree.

Oh. He's flat-out wrong. I know taste in stories is subjective and all, but the game made me cry FFS.

That's like saying Spirited Away has a lame story. Yes, one or two critics in the world don't enjoy it, but those one or two people really need to understand why they're in the minority, and should have the good grace to realise that there are some rare times when throwing a subjective opinion that is so contrary to the popular opinion into a review makes you look illiterate.

Gameplay - Too old school and difficult to grasp. Most people say it keeps the old school mechanics that work, while the gameplay has too many explanations for what is fairly easy to grasp.

Other than that, he has nothing but good things to say about the game.

Oh, that's the usual "damned if you do, damned if you don't" with some critics and JRPGs.

Do something new and "oh dear it's too different." Do something traditional and it's "boring."

Yes it's an old-school(ish) combat system, and yes the game is filled with tutorials that are unnecessary for those of us who have been playing games since we were 10 (and yes there is a tutorial on how to walk).

Given that this game is going to appeal to complete non-gaming dunces on account of Studio Ghibli's involvement, the tutorials are reasonable, and dry up after the first couple of hours anyway (FFXIII this game is not). And yes the combat system is old-school, but it's the fun kind of old-school that you get in games like White Knight Chronicles and Dragon Quest IX.

To criticise a JRPG for being a JRPG is just silly.This guy was not the right person to review it.

CanisWolfred

Oh, just to clarify, he didn't even mention the tutorials. In fact, I really super-summarized his gameplay complaints when I shouldn't have, but honestly, it's a painful read, because he's being negative about stuff like save points and dying causing you to lose 10 percent of your money. 10%! That's apparently an issue for him from what I'm reading. Most games take away more if they're gonna go that far! I seriously thought you had to start from the last save point, but no, they're being quite generous in my opinion. There's much more, actually. He dislikes that the window to defend is occasionally too small, for instance. (I didn't even know you could defend. That sounds cool)

Ultimately, he found little frustrations in the game, and seemed to latch on them. Problem being that most of those frustrations are found in most JRPGs, which many fans fans have come to understand, accept, or overcome.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

Oh, just to clarify, he didn't even mention the tutorials. In fact, I really super-summarized his gameplay complaints when I shouldn't have, but honestly, it's a painful read, because he's being negative about stuff like save points and dying causing you to lose 10 percent of your money. 10%! That's apparently an issue for him from what I'm reading. Most games take away more if they're gonna go that far! I seriously thought you had to start from the last save point, but no, they're being quite generous in my opinion.

I'm trying to think of a witty joke about how dumb this is but I can't even do that. That's stupid and he should feel ashamed.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

The only thing that sounds very annoying is encounters. Basically he's saying enemies are impossible to outrun. However, I remember someone posting on RPGFan just yesterday that they could outrun enemies, and that it's possible weaker enemies ignore you.

But if he's right, I know his frustration. FFXIII, DQ9, Star Ocean 4, some points in Persona 3 all had their moments where I was frustrated I couldn't outrun enemies. I never really let it get to me, though, and to be quite honest, it was only DQ9 where it was so bad that as soon as an enemy spotted you, you may as well turn around because there's no way you're gonna out run them. Sadly, Level 5 is developing this, so...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

CanisWolfred wrote:

Oh, just to clarify, he didn't even mention the tutorials. In fact, I really super-summarized his gameplay complaints when I shouldn't have, but honestly, it's a painful read, because he's being negative about stuff like save points and dying causing you to lose 10 percent of your money. 10%! That's apparently an issue for him from what I'm reading. Most games take away more if they're gonna go that far! I seriously thought you had to start from the last save point, but no, they're being quite generous in my opinion. There's much more, actually. He dislikes that the window to defend is occasionally too small, for instance. (I didn't even know you could defend. That sounds cool)

Ultimately, he found little frustrations in the game, and seemed to latch on them. Problem being that most of those frustrations are found in most JRPGs, which many fans fans have come to understand, accept, or overcome.

Ok, so the guy's an idiot that just didn't play the game right.

The only place you can't save EVERYWHERE, ANYTIME, is the dungeons, and there is always a save point right before the bosses (as in, the only things that have a genuine chance at killing a halfway decent player who has levelled up at a reasonable (not grinding) pace. It costs you nothing to simply reload the save file, and cut scenes are skippable. Problem solved there.

The window to defend is only small for the characters that turn defence into an attack. IE if you use the right timing when you defend with those characters you can temporarially put the enemy out of action allowing you to do some massive damage in return.

So in other words the guy's throwing a tantrum because sometimes you can't button mash through a boss battle.

Ignore the GI review. Every single criticism the guy has is not legitimate.

Bankai

Basically he's saying enemies are impossible to outrun.

Different enemies have different speeds. The levels are generally open enough that if you really want to avoid combat you can just walk around out of the line of sight from the faster ones.

The slower ones are easy to outrun. And, yes, if you're high enough level the enemies run away from you.

If you're not high enough level you probably should be fighting the enemies.

Basically if you fight as you go along you'll never need to grind. If you run from stuff you're going to end up underpowered. It's balanced just perfectly so that people who play it right will enjoy it.

Chrono_Cross

Who reviewed it? That should determine the reason for this lack of enthusiasm.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

CanisWolfred

Kimberly Wallace...hey, wait a minute! She used to review on RPGFan! I heard she moved to Game Informer, but I never read of of her GI reviews before. I used to read her reviews all the time and agreed with them. I don't think Bankai and CactusJackson would like her, though, going off of her Ar Tonelico Qoga and Rune Factory Tides of Destiny reviews, though I know I agree with them. In fact, I know she can do much better than this, which is why I'm confused...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

I actually like the Ar Tonelico review, even if I don't agree, her criticisms there are valid.

From that review you can tell she isn't a magazine journalist though. What has likely happened is that she is struggling to make the transition and that is why her GI review is lacking. Writing for print is far more time intensive - she likely only got a dozen or so hours with the game, and it's is difficult to properly articulate when you've got word limits. Not everyone is cut out for it.

CanisWolfred

Bankai wrote:

I actually like the Ar Tonelico review, even if I don't agree, her criticisms there are valid.

From that review you can tell she isn't a magazine journalist though. What has likely happened is that she is struggling to make the transition and that is why her GI review is lacking. Writing for print is far more time intensive - she likely only got a dozen or so hours with the game, and it's is difficult to properly articulate when you've got word limits. Not everyone is cut out for it.

That might make sense. I read her Linkdn, and apparently she's an associate editor. I don't recall seeing any reviews of her's on GI before, so it's possible they were trying her out as a reviewer since she had quite a bit of experience on RPGFan. I have a bad feeling she won't make the cut, though, if that is indeed the case. Again, she's done some really good work before - she was my third favorite reviewer while she was on the other site - but then again, she's always had the freedom to take her time before. Her last couple of reviews would come in months after the game was released. Hopefully she's a better editor at least.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

I actually agree with her Tides of Destiny review. lol

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Splat

PSN sale starting tomorrow.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/21/psns-13-for-13-begi...

LittleBigPlanet Karting – Sale $19.99, PS Plus $10.00

The Unfinished Swan – Sale $7.49, PS Plus $3.75

Ratchet & Clank – Sale $7.49, PS Plus $3.75

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy – Sale $3.99, PS Plus $2.00

Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds Complete Collection – Sale $12.49, PS Plus $6.25

Warp – Sale $4.99, PS Plus $2.50

Shank 2 – Sale $4.99, PS Plus $2.50

NiGHTS into dreams… – Sale $4.99, PS Plus $2.50

Jet Set Radio – Sale $4.99, PS Plus $2.50

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL Extended Cut – Sale $9.99, PS Plus $5.00

Psychonauts – Sale $4.99, PS Plus $2.50

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 – Sale $19.99, PS Plus $10.00

Machinarium – Sale $4.99, PS Plus $2.50

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

Knux

That sale is utterly insane. Going to buy LittleBigPlanet Karting, The Unfinished Swan, and Psychonauts if I get the money fast enough.

Edited on by Knux

Knux

shingi_70

Come on down to Krazy Kaz's Discount Games Emporium

What Jak and Dextar game is that?

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.