Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 7,701 to 7,720 of 9,907

shingi_70

Depending on who you talk too heavenly sword hits right in.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Odnetnin

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

That'll come about the same time that it becomes possible to critically study games at university, I guess.

While this is a far cry from what you're suggesting, Portal is actually taught at this college: http://www.brainygamer.com/the_brainy_gamer/2010/08/portal-bo...

@Mickeymac Believe or not, I play games for other reasons than to have "fun." Passage isn't fun at all; in fact it can be heartbreaking, but that doesn't mean it can't be a great piece of interactive art. I would put it and Jason Rohrer's other prominent work in my top 10 games of all time. I know you don't like thought-provoking games, but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for them.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

I actually found most of Jason Rohrer's works to be fun, and put them up there with Journey and Flower as games that found a middle ground between expression and fun. Yes, they're gameplay is simple, but that can be fun and rewarding, too, if done right.

Whoa Nellie! I even looked this guy up and everything, yet still managed to confuse him for two completely unrelated individuals, Daniel Benmergui and Terry Cavanagh. My bad. I haven't even heard of Jason Rohrer actually, but Inside a Star Filled Sky looks pretty messy, though certainly not artsy either. Isn't it just supposed to be a rogue-like shooter?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

watching someone play through Heavy Rain's action scenes (using the Move!) is more fun than a lot of games, I can say that much.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Odnetnin

@Swiket When I first saw it I thought it was fake boxart, no joke.

@Mickeymac I love Terry Cavanagh, though I'm still debating whether I think VVVVVV is art or not. Don't Look Back certainly is.

Inside a Star-filled Sky is not what I meant by "Jason Rohrer's prominent works," but I'll take the blame for not specifying which ones I meant. On a side note, I really loved the 30 min. or so I played of that game, but it's not on the level of his other stuff, mostly because it's much more game-y. Passage, like I said above, and Gravitation are the two that I would put "up there" in terms of engaging experiences as the former is laden with symbolism that can be applied to different people's lives in different ways and as such is very personal, and the latter is all about creative highs and lows and will mess with your emotions in crazy ways. You can download those two for free online or as part of his DSiWare anthology.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Oddy wrote:

@Swiket When I first saw it I thought it was fake boxart, no joke.

@Mickeymac I love Terry Cavanagh, though I'm still debating whether I think VVVVVV is art or not. Don't Look Back certainly is.

Inside a Star-filled Sky is not what I meant by "Jason Rohrer's prominent works," but I'll take the blame for not specifying which ones I meant. On a side note, I really loved the 30 min. or so I played of that game, but it's not on the level of his other stuff, mostly because it's much more game-y. Passage, like I said above, and Gravitation are the two that I would put "up there" in terms of engaging experiences as the former is laden with symbolism that can be applied to different people's lives in different ways and as such is very personal, and the latter is all about creative highs and lows and will mess with your emotions in crazy ways. You can download those two for free online or as part of his DSiWare anthology.

VVVVVV is a work of art if you consider masterful excecution an art. Some of the best and most creative level designs out there.

Anyways, I'll likely skip out on Passage, Symbolism is my mortal enemy. (so many english tests and papers failed over it...) I might take on Gravitation as a challenge someday. There's no such thing as a game that can make me feel any emotion other than happiness or hatred.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Slapshot

I, for one, 100% believe that videogames are a perfect medium for art, and that goes for the soundtracks too. I play games for one reason, the experience. Gaming allows you to experience a full range of emotions, just as you get from other entertainment forms, but for me, gaming is a more personal experience. I see the artist work in the games I play. I spend time stopping to admire their work, just as I turn the volume up and let their music flow completely throughout me for a full immersion. I actually love my chosen entertainment form that is gaming, and that's why I spend the small bits of time I get free in life to share my experiences.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Platypus

I think it's worth mentioning that Mass Effect 3 is 50% off on Amazon right now.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

irken004

Slapshot wrote:

I, for one, 100% believe that videogames are a perfect medium for art, and that goes for the soundtracks too. I play games for one reason, the experience. Gaming allows you to experience a full range of emotions, just as you get from other entertainment forms, but for me, gaming is a more personal experience. I see the artist work in the games I play. I spend time stopping to admire their work, just as I turn the volume up and let their music flow completely throughout me for a full immersion. I actually love my chosen entertainment form that is gaming, and that's why I spend the small bits of time I get free in life to share my experiences.

If Journey isn't a piece of art idk what is.

Popyman

Anyone else excited about The Walking Dead game tonight? I hope the PSN updates semi-early...

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

shingi_70

think its on xbla next week.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

shingi_70

too lazy too look for the Transfomers thread but a cool article about grimlock and the new transfomers game.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/24/2962458/grimlock-hig...

Polygon has been killing and hopefully this quality of article makes the other big game media step up there Journalism

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Splat

Playing through Enslaved again only on Hard this time around. I'm also going after some trophies along the way, but can't get them all since some are DLC which I don't plan to get.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

Dezner

So long as you get dat PLAT, Jack!

Wii: 6882-4334-4721-0727 --- PSN: OrangeGouf --- XBL: Orange Gouf

Uguu!

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.