Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 7,681 to 7,700 of 9,907

CanisWolfred

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

People used to think books and films were there for the sole purpose of entertainment too. That changed over time.

Yes, but those are different. Games are meant to be played, and usually people don't want to play a game that isn't fun.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

Not sure why both can't both exist? Ans a games like journey,Fez, and heavy rain being critically acclaimed as well as well as top sellers are proof that these games are wanted by the public.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

CanisWolfred

Sony_70 wrote:

Not sure why both can't both exist? Ans a games like journey,Fez, and heavy rain being critically acclaimed as well as well as top sellers are proof that these games are wanted by the public.

...well the public sucks then. I just hope games like them don't become the majority. I already lost comic books as a viable method of entertainment because of pompous jerks who can't make the stories fun anymore, and I almost lost anime during its pretentious faze. I don't want to lose video games because people have forgotten that games are supposed to be fun.

EDIT: Why do you keep pointing out Fez, btw? That game is old-school with gameplay at the forefront, barely any story, or really much of anything that makes you think outside of the context of the game. That's the exact opposite of games like Heavy Rain, where gameplay takes a back seat to its crappy story. At least Journey is a rare middle point that actually manages to be both a fun game and makes you think outside of the gameplay.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

Hey man go read Dido's Omac, BQM's Batgirl, and Amanda conners power girl. Fun incrante.

But yeah there should be a balance between the two. I mean I would love to work on a a great pltformer with excellent level desgin like Mario. At the same time I would want to work on a first person kinect horror game.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

CanisWolfred

Sony_70 wrote:

Hey man go read Dido's Omac, BQM's Batgirl, and Amanda conners power girl. Fun incrante.

I would if I wasn't morally against spin-offs, but I'll acknowledge that they exist. The few non-DCU/MU comics I've read that were more fun were generally terrible, but hey, at least they're there and they're different compared to the amount of serious superhero escapades. I just wish I could find a good, fun comic that doesn't have humongous piles of lore to sort through again.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

Not really lore to used but tiny Titans is awesome. No real lore needed expect when they make a nod to the mainstream comic series.
http://joelamoroney.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/tt_5_truman_d...
http://joelamoroney.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/tt_5_truman_dcp_023.jpg

Eh the new 52 reboot is pretty friendly too new readers. Its when I started reading comics and its only been six months in.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Bankai

Mickeymac wrote:

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

People used to think books and films were there for the sole purpose of entertainment too. That changed over time.

Yes, but those are different. Games are meant to be played, and usually people don't want to play a game that isn't fun.

That's to you. Once again, books and films used to be considered nothing more than dumb entertainment, incapable of matching the artistry of poetry (which was the dominant form of literature prior to novels) and theatre/ opera/ ballet (in the case of film).

At some point though, people realised that they could use the medium to make a point, and the idea that books and film could be used for artistic purposes was born.

We're getting closer to that point with games. The fact that Jonathan Blow is able to making a living doing his stuff is a good sign. We just need gamers to realise that it's possible for the concept of "games" to be redefined as "interactive art." That's not to say they will be for everyone - after all, there are plenty of people who can't be bothered reading anything but Twilight/ Hunger Games, and whose idea of a film doesn't stretch beyond the blockbusters. That is to say there will always be a market for entertaining games because a lot of people do just want to be entertained.

There does need to be an industry recognition that there can be more to games than entertainment. And in those cases "fun" isn't necessarily what they are aiming for, and we shouldn't necessarily criticise them because of that.

I must say, I find it interesting that gamers reacted so violently to Mr. Ebert when he came out and said "games aren't art," but then have a very narrow definition of what art is.

Edited on by Bankai

kkslider5552000

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

after all, there are plenty of people who can't be bothered reading anything but Twilight/ Hunger Games

I don't even care about Hunger Games and I find this comparison to be offensive.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bankai

kkslider5552000 wrote:

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

after all, there are plenty of people who can't be bothered reading anything but Twilight/ Hunger Games

I don't even care about Hunger Games and I find this comparison to be offensive.

I realise Hunger Games is better than Twilight. That said, since Hunger Games plagiarised Battle Royale entirely I plan to continue lumping it in with every other inferior pop culture book sensation.

shingi_70

But twilight is the feel good movie of its year. It defined my generation.

WAT!

CanisWolfred

I'm more offended that I'm being lumped in with the idiots who bother responding to Ebert's blantant trolling. It's not that I have a narrow definition of art, it's that I don't want someone trying to make a point when I'm trying to be entertained, especially if its something I'm paying $60 for. I look to other mediums for ideas, simply because there's nothing else those mediums can offer me. Video games, though, can offer much more than just someone's idea. It can provide the type of fun I can't get from any other medium - one that I can interact with and enjoy on an active level. I don't want to lose gaming just because a bunch of eggheads want to make it into "interactive art" or whatever.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

Mickeymac wrote:

I'm more offended that I'm being lumped in with the idiots who bother responding to Ebert's blantant trolling. It's not that I have a narrow definition of art, it's that I don't want someone trying to make a point when I'm trying to be entertained, especially if its something I'm paying $60 for. I look to other mediums for ideas, simply because there's nothing else those mediums can offer me. Video games, though, can offer much more than just someone's idea. It can provide the type of fun I can't get from any other medium - one that I can interact with and enjoy on an active level. I don't want to lose gaming just because a bunch of eggheads want to make it into "interactive art" or whatever.

Who said anything about "losing gaming?" If art and entertainment can co-exist happily in other mediums, why the assumption that it can't with games? Activision isn't out there scrambling to dump Call of Duty because Journey sold pretty well. Ubisoft isn't going to drop Assassin's Creed to make a From Dust every year and Nintendo isn't going to replace Super Mario Brothers with Pandora's Tower as its main property. And in all three cases, nor should they.

All I'm saying is there's signs out there that there is an appetite for interactive art. It's not just a matter of forming a critical atmosphere that a game doesn't need the joyous simplicity of a Mario Brothers game before it can be a "good" game. At the moment there just isn't an equivilent of a magazine/ Website that focuses on the idea of games as art, like there is academic film and book publications. That'll come about the same time that it becomes possible to critically study games at university, I guess.

y2josh

Just stopping in to say hi! Been internetless for a while from moving and such, but I'm back up and running. Don't have much to play with many of you all, as always, but just saying.

y2josh

shingi_70

Untitled
Untitled

Tell us how you really feel?

WAT!

Chrono_Cross

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/22/splash-damage-brink-sales-e...

How did Brink sell so well? It's so bad.

something that isn't good is popular? What new form of madness is this?!

Actually it's not very popular. What Splat said, it's dirt cheap and people are willing to try it out for a low price.

Besides when was the last time a bad game sold very well (PlayStation 3 wise) ?

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.