Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 5,241 to 5,260 of 9,907

Slapshot

Yes, Steam recently had an intrusion as well. It caused them to have to integrate a personal validation system to tighten security. There isn't an impenetrable system, even the Pentegon was hacked into in the past year! If they can break into Pentegon, do you really think a gaming console service can't be?

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Bankai

Swerd_Murd wrote:

BedCommando wrote:

If Sony did the right thing, they wouldn't be in this mess. Just sayin'. If a hacker can access your information, you're doing it wrong. If a hacker can get into every online infrastructure , they're all doing it wrong.
Can't say I've heard this happening to Steam, btw. So I think at least one party is doing it right.

If anyone wanted to hack steam, they would. No one's immune. So yeah, I guess everyone's doing it wrong.

Just sayin'.

Exactly. It's worth noting that Nintendo has also been hacked, and RSA, one of the BIGGEST CORPORATE security vendors in the world, was even hacked.

Sony got hit by a tidal wave. None of this was their fault.

BedCommando

Because trying to charge Geohotz, and getting warrants to break into a house in Germany totally didn't fuel the fire. Or ridding of Other OS which started this entire problem. None of those actions were Sony's call, so they're ridden of all blame. [/sarcasm]
If Sony were not a fault, they wouldn't be in this situation right now as they'd have dealt with the matter in a quick amount of time. Could have just banned the consoles that are hacked like MS do with the 360 and be done with it.
But no, they have to try and bite back, which makes the situation worse,as evident by the past few months.
Not knowing when to pick your fights puts you at fault.
please don't go there — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

Bankai

So if someone steals something from me, so I take him to court to protect my property, so a bunch of the guys mates come and take a baseball bat to my head, I'M the one at fault?

The law is on Sony's side, and for good reason. Illegal hacking is illegal, and so long as Sony was compliant with national and international laws around data security, which it was, it remains on the ethical right.

The world would be far better off if certain people learned to be a part of the world, rather than complain and moan about a system that only affects them because they don't want to play nice.

BedCommando

When someone steals from you, that item is gone. When a hacker steals a game, the game is still there. Now there are two games. No stealing has occurred because then the item would be gone, but it's still there, and readily available for others.
Hard to steal something that cannot leave the shelf.

Edited on by BedCommando

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)

theblackdragon

When someone hacks into a system and downloads software illegally, they've gotten something for free that every other person has had to pay for. You can't walk into a massage parlor, get your massage, and then just walk out without paying, same as it's illegal to pirate music off the internet. Theft of an intangible item or a service is still theft.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

SpentAllMyTokens

Also, if people just hacked into the system and downloaded some games, people wouldn't be so angry (though Sony would have a definite legal case against them). The most recent hackers stole a bunch of personal data. Someone steals your identity, well, your credit is gone.

On the other hand, I don't think Sony should have any legal clout on GeoHot, since all he did was hack the system to put Linux back on. It's you're own hardware, you should be able to do what you want with it (though if you violate Sony's terms of use, you shouldn't expect to be able to play on PSN with people who are following it). I think Microsoft has played this the right way by just banning hacked devices and not being lawsuit happy.

Nothing can excuse the hacker's behavior, in this case, but I hope Sony's learned that it's a bad idea to piss off people who buy PS3's to use as linux machines. At the end of the day, it's the paying customers who suffer from all of this with no PSN access, possible personal info stolen, restrictive DRM (more of an issue on PC), etc.

Edited on by SpentAllMyTokens

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

BedCommando

"He stole my time!" is all I can think of right now. Plus I'm pretty sure they charge before the massage. Hard to steal someone's 'time' when you pay before-hand. Also, it depends where you're from if downloading music is illegal. It's legal up here to download all the music you want from P2P services (Torrents!).
So yeah, hard to steal something that doesn't have a physical base. You could also say you can't own anything online by the same sense. Like buying games on Steam, you don't actually own the game, unless you go out and buy the real thing.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)

James

So if I walk into a cinema and don't pay for the ticket, that's OK because I didn't physically lift anything? How about stealing the contents of someone's bank account? It doesn't physically exist as cash inside the bank, right, so that's OK too?

This stealing thing is confusing when you're just starting out like me.

James

Nintendo Network ID: DaddyNewtsUK

BedCommando

Movies? Sure. Contents of bank account? Well that means real cash, and when you take that cash, it's now only in your possession. That cash has to be pulled out at some point, it's why it's in there so it's a good as real if you ask me. It does exist, in every bank if you wanted to take it back. So what money they had stored at any bank, you would then own. Owning the numbers means owning the material in this case because the numbers are only a representation of the real thing,

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)

theblackdragon

@BedCommando: Regarding the massage example, the principle is there (and it depends on where you go whether they take payment up-front, same for the guy who fixes your air conditioner or the one who tattoos you), and as much as you attempt to deny it or skirt around it, the law is the law. If the hackers in this example are American and did their deeds on American soil, Sony has a presence here in the US and will certainly prosecute them to the fullest extent of US law.

also, that cash never has to leave the internet — you don't have to hold it in your hand to use it on eBay and Amazon, for example.

BEST THREAD EVER

BedCommando

The law doesn't hold the ground it does in real life when concerning the internet because of so many variables. Like with the downloading music issue. Illegal in a lot of countries, but not here. Hard for laws to hold on a medium that is worldwide, you know?
Also, money always returns to a physical product at some point. It starts real, and stays real thanks to an economy where money is constantly in circulation.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)

theblackdragon

BedCommando wrote:

The law doesn't hold the ground it does in real life when concerning the internet because of so many variables. Like with the downloading music issue. Illegal in a lot of countries, but not here. Hard for laws to hold on a medium that is worldwide, you know?

which is why Sony's attempting to go after GeoHotz — because their gigantic legal team has told them that they don't have a legal leg to stand on.

BedCommando wrote:

Also, money always returns to a physical product at some point. It starts real, and stays real thanks to an economy where money is constantly in circulation.

not anymore. maybe in the past, but nowadays thanks to debit/check-cards, online payments, and direct deposit, it's all numbers on screens for the most part. it can take physical form, but that doesn't mean it always does, just like the software those hackers are downloading could be granted physical form (as a disc or pre-release review copy) but in practice often aren't.

BEST THREAD EVER

James

OK, this line of discussion is going nowhere, so I'm putting my foot down to end it.

Untitled

What are you all playing while PSN is down? I've been playing Virtua Tennis 4. It's quite good.

James

Nintendo Network ID: DaddyNewtsUK

Platypus

James Newton wrote:

OK, this line of discussion is going nowhere, so I'm putting my foot down to end it.

What are you all playing while PSN is down? I've been playing Virtua Tennis 4. It's quite good.

You got athletes foot?

I have been playing Portal 2 and Uncharted 2.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

Lotice-Paladin

Erm...probably Final Fantasy XIII, it's offline and I still need to Five Star two missions.

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

SpentAllMyTokens

Portal 2 local co-op and Nintendo (of course). I feel bad for everyone who rushed out to get the Portal 2 at launch hoping to play online with a friend. Even people with PC friends they could play with can't take advantage of the free steam copy, since it had to sync with PSN. At least there's single player.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.