Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 5,081 to 5,100 of 9,907

Ryno

Mickeymac wrote:

smithers wrote:

@swerd how do you know how well i write....im writing on a forum not a formal review which is what i assume you base waltz writing off of

"I'm on a forum" Is a horrible excuse for lazy writing. A forum is supposed to be a place to communicate ideas, so you'd think proper writing would be essential to properly get your ideas across. Not to mention it's just discourtious to make people strain to understand you. Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on you, it's just something I've been meaning to say for a long time.

Oh, can I chime in too? I agree, I cannot stand lazy writing whether it is on forums, in email or text messages but it appears to be getting worse.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Bankai

@swerd how do you know how well i write....im writing on a forum not a formal review which is what i assume you base waltz writing off of

I actually write much the same way everywhere. I'm also a professional editor and run two magazines.

I don't want to get into another argument over Dynasty Warriors, but I will explain why, when writing a review, a critic should base the review on a comparison to other games in the genre, rather than "as a game."

It's for a number of reasons: firstly, it helps give a game context. If we just look at scores for a moment, if I give a GTA game 4.5/5, and a Mario game 4.5/5, what does that tell you? That people will find both games equally entertaining? No. They're far too different as games to appeal to people equally. Some will prefer one more than the other. That they're as good as one another? Not really, because there is no way in living hell that you can find any point of comparison between the two.

Now, if you rate a game based on how it compares with its genre, suddently things make a lot more sense. Dynasty Warriors 7 is a historical action game (sorry, Mickeymac, I missed the "historical part" when I said "best darned action game ever" ). If you or anyone else knows of a better historical action game, then feel free to let me know, but from what I've seen and played out there, it's the best in its niche, and therefore gets a 5/5.

It's not the only time I've done this. For an even more extreme example, consider Advanced Tactics: Gold (http://www.matrixgames.com/products/405/details/Advanced.Tactics:.Gold) This is an extremely hardcore strategy wargame (grognard). One gamer in 10000 might be interested in this game, but it's one of the best examples of the grognard genre. 4.5/5 because that one gamer would get a lot of value out of this game.

This system is far more reliable to consumers. The average gamer already knows what kinds of games they'd be interested in. They read a review for one of two reasons: 1) to be entertained (for instance, a review of a virtual fireplace), or 2) to be informed on whether a game they're interested in is any good. The key word there is "interest." Chances are, if you're reading a Advanced Tactics: Gold review, then you want to know how it compares to other grognard games, because chances are that you have played one of the previous games in the genre.

The system also reduces some of the subjectivity from the reviewer. While there will always be some personal opinion colouring a review (and you'd want that anyway), by comparing a game to others in the genre, there's no room left for a critic to slam a good game in a niche genre because they don't personally "get it." It leads to some interesting situations - I have little to no interest in the FPS genre, but despite personally hating it, Killzone 3 was a 4/5 game from me because compared to other FPSers, it's a good game. I dislike platformers, but I wouldn't give Mario Galaxy 2 a bad review.

Edited on by Bankai

Slapshot

Mickeymac wrote:

smithers wrote:

"I'm on a forum" Is a horrible excuse for lazy writing. A forum is supposed to be a place to communicate ideas, so you'd think proper writing would be essential to properly get your ideas across. Not to mention it's just discourtious to make people strain to understand you. Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on you, it's just something I've been meaning to say for a long time.

I completely agree, and my basis for this is because I've never been a horrible forum/text writer, but just got a bit lazy. Then came the glorious email from the guys about doing the guest review for Movemodo (MAG), and holy Magicarp did it take me forever to start getting my grammar back down-pat — also being out of school for ten years doesn't help either — but regardless, bad writing anywhere will catch up with you in the long run. (Not picking on you a bit Smithers, it's just something I've really noticed for myself in the last 6 months. )

I'm excited for Fancy Pants too! The more Indy games that land on PSN the better!

@Ryno... welcome to the thread my friend, I'll send you a invite on PSN!

3D Dot Game Heroes on Amazon for $13.40 HERE

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Bankai

slapshot82 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

smithers wrote:

I completely agree, and my basis for this is because I've never been a horrible forum/text writer, but just got a bit lazy. Then came the glorious email from the guys about doing the guest review for Movemodo (MAG), and holy Magicarp did it take me forever to start getting my grammar back down-pat — also being out of school for ten years doesn't help either — but regardless, bad writing anywhere will catch up with you in the long run. (Not picking on you a bit Smithers, it's just something I've really noticed for myself in the last 6 months. )

haha, it goes for us all. I usually take quite a long break over Christmas (6 or so weeks), where I try to keep work to an absolute minimum - though whether that happens this year with my startup or not I don't know.

Coming back after just six weeks off is a terrible experience - my writing goes heywire badly for a few days.

Ryno

@slapshot82 Thanks! I see that 3D Dot Game Heroes is super cheap from Amazon thanks to you, how did you enjoy it? I have been thinking about that game but waiting for the price to be right.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Slapshot

@Waltz.... I based my Dungeon Hunter: Alliance review on how much Odd and Swerd would like it!

In all actuality I try to base my reviews around the consumer that is looking for the product as well, but I always take into account that if the game is a niche title — Atlus games come to mind quickly — I will rate it with the niche gamer in mind, but also with the average gamer as well. I've been piddling around with Baroque lately on Wii some, and for me this is a easy 8/10 game, but if I was to write a review (here on NLife) it would like sit around the 6/10 range as the majority of buyers would not grasp the crazy concept of this game, and therefore not agree with the score or the review, but if I was writing for a hardcore RPG site, I would definitely go with the 8/10 score — all of this is just a off-the-wall example of course.

Bottom of the line is this, Waltz owns his own site and his readers are niche gamers who agree with his score. Don't use just one media outlet when looking to purchase a game that is questionable, because at the end of the day it's just an opinion.

Reason Let's say that someone is a big SOCOM fan, and only reads Destructoid. This is the horrible review the site published for the game! It's not that the score that is the problem, as that is the reviewers opinion, but read the review. It's nothing more than a fanboy rant being published on a major site, and in my opinion, horrible journalism!

Bankai

In all actuality I try to base my reviews around the consumer that is looking for the product as well, but I always take into account that if the game is a niche title — Atlus games come to mind quickly — I will rate it with the niche gamer in mind, but also with the average gamer as well. I've been piddling around with Baroque lately on Wii some, and for me this is a easy 8/10 game, but if I was to write a review (here on NLife) it would like sit around the 6/10 range as the majority of buyers would not grasp the crazy concept of this game, and therefore not agree with the score or the review, but if I was writing for a hardcore RPG site, I would definitely go with the 8/10 score — all of this is just a off-the-wall example of course.

Bottom of the line is this, Waltz owns his own site and his readers are niche gamers who agree with his score. Don't use just one media outlet when looking to purchase a game that is questionable, because at the end of the day it's just an opinion.

I agree with all of this. I certainly understand your philosophy behind games reviews, and when it's writen well and balanced like you do, it's perfectly agreeable. There's always going to be the "agree to disagree" thing going on, but that's just respectful.

Slapshot

WaltzElf wrote:

. There's always going to be the "agree to disagree" thing going on, but that's just respectful.

This is where the truth to the matter comes into play, and once again it's not aimed at anyone in this thread, but actually sitting down and writing a thorough, balanced review is not easy. The Dungeon Hunter: Alliance review took me roughly 5 hours to get it where I was happy with it to publish.

There are many times I don't agree with scores, but if there is reason in the review to justify the score behind the reviewers opinion then it is perfectly acceptable. I just don't like completely negative reviews personally. I don't mind it if the game is utterly garbage and released with the intent of 'cashing in', but just trashing a game that has some appeal and not even discussing the good along with the bad just comes off wrong for me.

If anyone grabs Neutopia, let us know how it is. I don't know much about it, but it looks like it has a load of potential.

Bankai

slapshot82 wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

. There's always going to be the "agree to disagree" thing going on, but that's just respectful.

This is where the truth to the matter comes into play, and once again it's not aimed at anyone in this thread, but actually sitting down and writing a thorough, balanced review is not easy. The Dungeon Hunter: Alliance review took me roughly 5 hours to get it where I was happy with it to publish.

There are many times I don't agree with scores, but if there is reason in the review to justify the score behind the reviewers opinion then it is perfectly acceptable. I just don't like completely negative reviews personally. I don't mind it if the game is utterly garbage and released with the intent of 'cashing in', but just trashing a game that has some appeal and not even discussing the good along with the bad just comes off wrong for me.

If anyone grabs Neutopia, let us know how it is. I don't know much about it, but it looks like it has a load of potential.

Yeah, I've said it a number of times in the past, but I dislike it when critics don't try and understand why a game exists. Or chose to ignore it to focus on things that aren't really that relevant to the game.

I'm all for critical reviews, provided they're placed within the right context.

BTW, nice job on the Dungeon Hunter review. I don't agree with a word of it, but it's nicely done Red Johnson is next!

SwerdMurd

smithers wrote:

A fair point I guess. Still--from where I'm coming from, where all the writing I read is what you and Waltz write on these forums, it's hard not to make the statement I made. His writing is better thought out, better punctuated, and more substantive, making it much easier to identify with his viewpoints even if they're ones I don't share. Maybe take this as friendly advice that, when arguing with people that write heavily researched, market-research-oriented articles and reviews, you should write to the best of your ability to have your points adequately understood.

All things considered though, it really doesn't matter.

@everyone - wait so Neutopia's coming out on PSN? Wah?

@slap - I'm well aware that my personal gaming tastes comprise the bulk of the aim of your game reviews. Make sure you give Call of Duty games 3/10s and all platform-adventure games 10/10s and I won't stalk you out quite so aggressively. Btw you need to clean the window looking into your shower...

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

CanisWolfred

Swerd_Murd wrote:

@everyone - wait so Neutopia's coming out on PSN? Wah?

Yeah, I remember reading something about TurboGraphx games coming to PSN. I guess this is the first one we're getting.

Also, what the heck:

Here's something you might like, Waltz: A Fair review of Dynasty Warriors 7. (That's not from Destructoid). It's no 5/5, but it doesn't seem to crap on it like so many others do.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SwerdMurd

^that review actually makes me wanna get this game...the repetition doesn't sound too bad considering what i'd be repeating.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

Popyman

smithers wrote:

@popyman meh...its a free game on the internet isnt it

Free does not equal meh.

But no, it isn't just a port of the flash games. Those two ARE in the game (revamped with the new stuff added to the gameplay) plus World 3 which was made just for this console release and is bigger and longer than the other two. Not to mention there's co-op and online multiplayer.

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

Bankai

Here's something you might like, Waltz: A Fair review of Dynasty Warriors 7. (That's not from Destructoid). It's no 5/5, but it doesn't seem to crap on it like so many others do.

Didn't know about this site before. I agree, quite a balanced review of the game.

Thanks for the link!

smithers

@popyman ah that makes sense maybe ill check it out thanks for the info

I GOT INTO THE INFAMOUS 2 BETA WOOOOOT!!!! got an emaily from sony today with a code to get it....this and portal 2 in one day is amazing

PlayStation profile
PSN ID = Smithers434

Fuzzy

Played through Portal 1 last night and really enjoyed it. And seeing as my laptop probably wont be able to play 2, I'll be getting it for the PS3 soon. Interesting to note that Darksiders has a similar portal gun in it too, which must have been taken from Portal. It's a fun weapon.

Now for Bioshock... (yes, I'm quite behind).

Also, @WaltzElf, did you play Dynasty Warriors 6, and what did you think of it? For some reason I couldn't get into that one, even though I dont mind these games from time to time.

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

Bankai

Also, @WaltzElf, did you play Dynasty Warriors 6, and what did you think of it? For some reason I couldn't get into that one, even though I dont mind these games from time to time.

That's definately one of the lesser games in the franchise. It and Strikeforce are games I struggled to get into as well - to sum the games up on the same /5 scale that I gave Dynasty Warriors 7 5/5 - I'd give Warriors 6 2.5/ 5 and Strikeforce 3.5/5

I gave Samurai Warriors 3, Samurai Warriors Chronicles and Warriors: Legends of Troy all 4.5/5 in the reviews I wrote of them.

And to round out - the other Warriors games I've spent significant time with:

Dynasty Warriors (PSP) - 3.5/5
Dynasty Warriors 2 (PSP) - 3/5
Samurai Warriors: State of War (PSP) - 3/5
Warriors Orochi (PSP) - 4.5/5
Warriors Orochi 2 (PSP) - 4.5/5
Bladestorm (might as well be a Warriors game) - 4/5

odd69

Im a tad bit to late joining the fun, but i was given call of duty black ops and im really enjoying it.Its addictive trying to purchase better equipment, im kinda hooked.

my wii number: 8754-9981-5119-6538
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles number: 1290-4359-9435
PlayStationNetworkID: odd69

Popyman

Okay, Fancy Pants Adventures is way more amazing than I had hoped! The "World 3" is the story mode and it's probably the combined length of the first two games...times two. There are TONS of hats, pants, and swords to earn. The first two games are locked until you get a certain amount of stars (I'm one away from unlocking World 1!).

I HIGHLY recommend it, I think it's the best value on the PSN because they honestly could have charged $15 or more for the amount of content in here.

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.