Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 4,741 to 4,760 of 9,907

Bankai

I think we can all agree that Nintendo and Square Enix are the most successful at milking their various franchises. In Japan, characters owned by those two publishers accounts for something like 35 of the top 50 favourite characters, according to a Famitsu piece last year.

Sounds about right to me.

Stuffgamer1

Regarding new IP's (that were released in the West, numbers compiled using game release lists from Wikipedia) from various companies over this current generation (PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP, download-only titles included where applicable):
Please note that these numbers concern publishing, not necessarily developing

• Capcom: 10
  • Nintendo: 46 (47 counting Disaster: Day of Crisis, not released in America)
  • Square Enix: 11

Nintendo's is massively bloated due to random WiiWare they just happen to have published, but Nintendo would still win even without that. The acquisition of Eidos and Taito hasn't really resulted in much in the way of new IP's for Squenix, just continuation of existing ones (even relatively new stuff like Just Cause and Kane & Lynch started pre-acquisition).

Throughout this research, I did notice a trend...most of these new IP's didn't really do all that great, although Nintendo had more successful ones than the other companies.

@Popyman: The World Ends With You outsold expectations, but I wouldn't really say it sold "really well," at least not by Squenix standards. According to vgchartz (not the most reliable source, but I haven't a better one in mind), it only did 560,000 worldwide. That beats out The 4 Heroes of Light, but not any other FF title on DS, and certainly not ones on other platforms. Which is exactly my point: Even a new IP that DOES sell can't complete with the FF powerhouse.

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

grenworthshero

Just saw Beyond Good and Evil HD will be released on PSN this may. I missed out on that game when it first came out, and I've wanted to get it for a long time. The GCN version is kind of hard to find, so I haven't ever bought it yet, so I may get this on PSN.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Popyman

grenworthshero wrote:

Just saw Beyond Good and Evil HD will be released on PSN this may. I missed out on that game when it first came out, and I've wanted to get it for a long time. The GCN version is kind of hard to find, so I haven't ever bought it yet, so I may get this on PSN.

It's for sure May?? Can't wait!! It's a great game, I haven't been able to play it in a long time because my PS2 memory card is packed full of stuff and I've been too lazy to buy a new one. >_<

On a completely unrelated note, I randomly stumbled onto the Final Fantasy XIII International trailer and now I REALLY want to buy that game...

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

Lotice-Paladin

@Stuffgamer: You mean the Wii series and Brain Training? Those were very successful new IPs but I am guessing they will be one offs.

As for PS3 IPs (Exclusive). There's been loads! Neir, Demon Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Motorstorm, Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet. I liked a few of those too!

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

Slapshot

@gren... Don't miss out on Beyond Good and Evil again. Considering we are at NintendoLife it's easy to assume that you are a avid fan of Nintendo games, and Beyond Good and Evil has a fantastic Nintendo vibe in it. It's an amazing game, and I highly recommend it to anyone who reads this post!

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

grenworthshero

Oh, I definitely don't plan on missing out on it. The only reason I did before was because it's hard to find on the GameCube, and I've never really liked the PlayStation's controller. Plus, I am, as you said, a hardcore Nintendo fan, so I'd much rather have it on the GCN than the PS2.

Edited on by grenworthshero

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Slapshot

grenworthshero wrote:

Oh, I definitely don't plan on missing out on it. The only reason I did before was because it's hard to find on the GameCube, and I've never really liked the PlayStation's controller. Plus, I am, as you said, a hardcore Nintendo fan, so I'd much rather have it on the GCN than the PS2.

I think you will enjoy it. It really didn't sell too well, and it's a shame. The game is just really enjoyable, and has fantastic characters. Jade is one kick-a chick!

Stuffgamer1

Mutter mutter Microsoft and their temporary exclusive BS...already have Beyond Good & Evil on XBLA...mutter mutter...
Yeah, can't wait! I must absolve my past sin of only getting the game used after it flopped!

@Starlight: "Wii" series, Brain Age, and don't forget Nintendogs! Each of which outsold any new IP from any other publisher, including Sony and Microsoft. Speaking of which, I didn't list those two last night (as they weren't previously mentioned specifically in the discussion), but let's see where they stand (same rules from before apply):

• Sony: 57. Ooh, isn't this interesting? Including random downloadable stuff from both Sony and Nintendo, Sony actually has MORE new IP's! In fact, Sony has more even if you count retail only, winning 30 to 25 (26 including Disaster: Day of Crisis). Furthermore, a much higher number of the Sony-published new IP's have gained notoriety than those from Nintendo among those lists. It's also interesting to note that Nintendo WOULD have won the sheer quantity war if they'd actually publish more games outside of Japan, a problem Sony doesn't really have.
  • Microsoft: 13 retail and an unspecifiable number of XBLA titles, due to lack of decently accurate info on Wikipedia (it's taking me long enough to do this research there, no WAY I'm searching elsewhere). To be fair, they're only releasing games on the ONE system, but it's still pretty sad.

So there you have it: Sony is the king of supporting new IP's. I guess anyone with a brain already knew that, though.

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

cheapogamer4life

Hey guys! (Its been a while since my last post here... I know )

I was wondering if the PS3 plays flash video and if so how good is the quality when on a decent wifi connection?

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2558-1701
http://passid.ca/N4Life
PSN id: cheapO4life
Xbox gamertag: cheapogamer

SwerdMurd

@cheapo - it does but the compatibility is kinda spotty....certain videos play, others don't, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rhyme or reason to it...i definitely wouldn't get it thinking it'll be a viable substitute for a PC-based browser though

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

The_Fox

zezhyrule wrote:

The PS3 browser is pretty good, but it sucks.

Not often someone contradicts themselves in a single sentence.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Slapshot

Fuzzy wrote:

slapshot82 wrote:

kick-a chick!

Doing that would probably get you into trouble.

I like what you did there!

One of the main reasons I've stayed loyal to Sony through the years is their push to maintain great 3rd Party Support, and their 1st Party support is getting better and better as well. Though I will say that PS3 was so dang expensive at launch that I didn't buy the system until it dropped in price. Honestly, there is only so much I will spend on a gaming system, and $700 is above that line of comfort for me.

smithers

hello again guys! ive been out of town due to spring break affairs but im back now. I recently picked up a new sony bluetooth headset so thats nice and will hopefully be getting Marvel vs Capcom 3 in the coming days so looking forward to playing a few rounds with whoever has it...not sure who that is? Also i picked up pokemon Black for my trip and its sweet

PlayStation profile
PSN ID = Smithers434

Popyman

Strofan7 wrote:

That squeenix game Gun Loco just got canned. Figured someone may be interested since i saw its name pop up earlier in thread.

No skin off my back haha

Yeah, that totally sucks. =(

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.