Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 4,721 to 4,740 of 9,907

Popyman

Dragon Quest Not a new IP
Front Mission Evolved This is also a sequel, I think?
Gun Loco Okay, I forgot about this one. Looks AWESOME since I really like toy culture
MindJack New IP but it's bland and sucks. Not gamers fault it didn't sell well
Star Ocean: The Last Hope Not a new IP, it get's a LOT of hate from fans, I still think it sold pretty good though
Infinite Undiscovery This was a 360 exclusive right? Wasn't it pretty good and sold well?
Mario Sports Mix LOL
Soul Eater: Monotone Princess This was a disgrace to the series
The 3rd Birthday Not a new IP, mostly considered a disgrace to the series
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Not a new IP
Lord of Arcana This one is great just because of SWERY (stay away from his games, he's the next Suda), but I'm not sure how good it sold

My question was what NEW IPs they've made. Out of that list there's four new ones, two of which are bad, one that isn't out yet (Gun Loco isn't..right?), and a semi-good one. Their non FF games don't sell as well because the new stuff they put out hardly has effort put into it! And all of the existing IPs sell as well as they always have, maybe not as good as FF because a lot of them aren't RPGs (which SE fans want). What happens when SE makes a good new RPG (The World Ends With You)? It sells really well.

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

Popyman

THIS is what I've been replying to:

WaltzElf wrote:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

Squenix just likes to pump them out because they always sell better than completely new IP's just on brand recognition. Maybe if more people bought their other stuff, this would be slightly less of an issue.

This is true. If Nier had have been called "Final Fantasy: Nier" it would have sold about 100,000 extra copies in each country.

I'm pulling that number out of thin air, but if you guys want SE to stop calling everything "Final Fantasy xxxx" Then buy the SE stuff that ISN'T Final Fantasy

My point, is that the few IPs they put out DO sell as long as they're good. It has nothing at all to do with gamers just wanting FF, it's SE's fault for not making many GOOD new IPs.

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

Bankai

The+Fox wrote:

Squeenix would probably prefer if you left Mindjack off of that list.

Yeah. I know. I feel sorry for whoever greenlighted that. Must be looking for a new job now.

My question was what NEW IPs they've made. Out of that list there's four new ones, two of which are bad, one that isn't out yet (Gun Loco isn't..right?), and a semi-good one. Their non FF games don't sell as well because the new stuff they put out hardly has effort put into it! And all of the existing IPs sell as well as they always have, maybe not as good as FF because a lot of them aren't RPGs (which SE fans want). What happens when SE makes a good new RPG (The World Ends With You)? It sells really well.

Ok, if after that list you still criticise Square Enix, then you must therefore not agree with the policies of just about every games company out there. Nintendo, Capcom Sega, Activision - all rely heavily on existing IPs (otherwise called "good business sense"). It's really only the smaller publishers (Atlus), and EA that make any great effort to invest in new IPs. Why? Because it's a friggin' expensive and risky thing to do.

Also, it's worth noting that SE makes a great number of new IPs that it then attaches the Final Fantasy brand to in a bid to increase sales. Chocobo games, Crystal Chronicles, Tactics... these are (or were recently) all new IPs.

Edited on by Bankai

SwerdMurd

Based on that list, Square Enix launched 4 or 5 IPs recently (don't forget Last Remnant). I'd be curious to know how the other similar-in-stature companies stack up to that...How many has Capcom launched? How many has Nintendo launched? What about Sega? No one churns out multiple IPs per year anymore, period. I'm not sure they ever did...

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

Bankai

There's also a host of new Iphone, iPad IPs that are new. Not least of which Chaos Rings.

And again, Square Enix owns Eidos and Taito, both of which have launched IPs of their own - Kane and Lynch, Cooking Mama.

The Square Enix grow is massive, and responsible for far more non-Final Fantasy games than people give them credit for

SwerdMurd

@Waltz - don't remind me about Chaos Rings.....there's 4 hours I won't get back 4 times. But yeah--it is indeed a new IP.

Personally I'm kinda glad they bought Taito--I think overall it'll widen their genre spread and hopefully will result in making them a stronger, more well-rounded company. And even if that doesn't pan out....they make Final Fantasy!!

Bought Nier along with my 3DS launch games today....dunno if they're all shipping together or not, but I'll be experiencing it soon. Waltz, if you steered me wrong with the recommendation... I will find you and you will pay! Except I have no passport or knowledge of other languages/countries......so it's a threat in name only......but yeah! Beware!....I guess....

/runsawai

-Swerd Murd

Fuzzy

@Swerd - you better get your hands on one of those American-Australian translation guides, or else you'll have no hope trying to communicate with people over here.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much Nier goes for over here, but I'll check it out next time I'm in a store. I had a look at some gameplay videos, and it looks like I'd enjoy this game. I'm not sure what put me off it before. I'm not sure if it was the name or the cover, but something did.

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

SwerdMurd

@Fuzzy - I've seen a couple Foster's commercials and I saw all 3 Crocodile Dundee movies. I'm pretty much a native.

-Swerd Murd

Fuzzy

Swerd_Murd wrote:

@Fuzzy - I've seen a couple Foster's commercials and I saw all 3 Crocodile Dundee movies. I'm pretty much a native.

Yeah, that's pretty much all you need to know.

Apparently the imported and local Fosters are two different beers. Well, that's what somebody who moved to London told me.

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

Lotice-Paladin

WaltzElf wrote:

Starlight wrote:

You forgot Neir.

Not a SE-developed game, that's why I left it off.

That said, it probably should be there. Cania was in most ways SE's playtoy, what with Drakengard before Nier.

Man I miss those guys HD Drakengard, please.

I have only heard of Drakengard through a friend (Ironically has the name Drake).

Fosters Adverts here are funny...but the adverts always say "Brewed in EU" which is sort of messed up.

I'd agree about Nintendo using their IP over and over, but SEGA and Capcom? (yeah, I know Sonic and Mega Man get abused but other then that, they rarely go back to their best IPs (Streets of Rage, Chaos Legion, Viewtiful Joe...although the latter had three games last gen)).

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

ItsFuzzyPickles

@Starlight: I think Capcom could be guilty of using the same franchises over and over again and not just Mega Man. I've also noticed a slew of Street Fighter's and Resident Evil's titles coming out this gen, both of which are starting to get oversaturate by fans who play them.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

Lotice-Paladin

Limelight 788 wrote:

@Starlight: I think Capcom could be guilty of using the same franchises over and over again and not just Mega Man. I've also noticed a slew of Street Fighter's and Resident Evil's titles coming out this gen, both of which are starting to get oversaturate by fans who play them.

I'm not going to stick up for Capcom but Street Fighter wasn't used as much last gen, although they have always abused the Street Fighter series as well as their VS series (MvC, SNK, X-Men...).

I agree with Resident Evil though...although I don't pay much attention to the series as I don't like those type of games.

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

CanisWolfred

They can abuse the series all they want so long as they're still fun. So far I've yet to see them really kill a series besides maybe Star Force.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SwerdMurd

@Mickeymac - They killed Battle Networks the same way...it just took a bit longer. And I'd say MMBN 4 was a way worse game than Star Force 3....as was MMBN 5 (never played 6 for good reason)

I think that slew of Resident Evil games should've been one 3DS Resident Evil game featuring Mercenaries as a multiplayer mode...but who am I to stand in the way of gouging extra dollars out of early adopters of the console? ...Except an early adopter of said console....

-Swerd Murd

Lotice-Paladin

Mickeymac wrote:

They can abuse the series all they want so long as they're still fun. So far I've yet to see them really kill a series besides maybe Star Force.

Tell that to Sonic fans.

Although certain IPs can be milked...they still need to have quality in their titles...as consumer confidence is fragile, and can break on just one bad game...I have no history with MM games but they've spread themselves too thinly by giving the franchise different genres (for better for worse), when you can only do so much with the franchise (like Sonic), Mega Man would never have an adventure in a Jungle or even a Pre-Historic setting but he'd be always great in digitalised worlds and Post-Apocolyptic settings.

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Slapshot

Some series are better milked than others! Sonic just wasn't one of them. Playing back through the original Sonic on PSN did nothing but remind me how much I loved the original title. After Sonic and Knuckles it went downhill badly.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.