Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 4,681 to 4,700 of 9,907

Bankai

BedCommando wrote:

Wow, was it really 20? I haven't played it since launch, but I don't remember it being THAT long.
About the staleness of the franchise. The only thing that changes is the skin of the game. Meaning that there's stereotypes that need to be filled, and JRPGs are notorious for filling these roles with just that, stereotypes.
I loved JRPGs, My favourite RPG to this day remains Legend of Legaia on the PSX. Legend of Dragoon is another favourite, plus the older FFs, the Golden Sun franchise (So happy about Dark Dawn), and especially the Dragon Quest series (But I know it's bad for staleness as well, but it never takes itself seriously, unlike FF).
So it's not like I don't like JRPGs in general, it's that FF is no longer the head honcho is used to be.
You know the saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Seems to apply here. The series wasn't broken, but they've constantly "fixed" it so many times, it's become broken.
Before you say "If they don't try to fix it, it'll get stale", let me point to you the Megaman franchise. Megaman 1-10, X-X7, and however Network game there are. They find something that works, and just add to it until nothing more can be done. THEN they change it up, and repeat the process.
Final Fantasy nowadays just goes "BAM, here's this new gameplay mechanics, but instead of building upon it to make it better, we'll just start from square one in the next game."
This is bad, if you ask me. Square can learn alot from Capcom.

Well, Square Enix is a robust, growing business, while Capcom is floundering, so I think it's the other way around, actually.

Beyond that, I think you underestimate the level of change between Final Fantasy games - and how important that change is. XIII was not a reskinned X, IX was not a reskin of VII. We're talking different worlds, different characters, different gameplay mechanics (ways of handling summons, magic systems, character customisation), different music scores - essentially each Final Fantasy game is built from the ground up. Final Fantasy is not a series that relies on nostalgia to sell to a small, committed fanbase - like Mega Man. Final Fantasy is a series that continually looks to find new fans by offering something different each time - it's a 'reach for the stars' approach, rather than a 'stick to what we're good at' vision. There are misteps along the way with doing that, but overall the series is anything but stale.

The things that are consistent across the series are minor, and more fan service than anything else. Chocobos, a character named Cid, item and magic spell names - these are largely unimportant, but are the bare minimum to create some level of consistency.

How many of you know that Dissidia 312: Duodecim Final Fantasy is releasing on the 22nd for PSP? The reason I ask this is because 5-10yrs ago gamers would be lined up at the stores for the release of a new Final Fantasy, and I bet most everyone here had no idea it was about to release, and even fewer who plan to buy it. I don't see how this is healthy for a franchise, and even Square-Enix themselves have been severely unimpressed with the latest Final Fantasy MMO. Filling the shelves with games isn't a good strategy anymore. Activision and it's failed Guitar Hero franchise is a perfect example.

Or perhaps because the PSP is a small fry console that generates little publicity and is never going to have people lining up to buy games for?

FFXIV was an unmitigated disaster that was rushed out - Square Enix has been good enough to publically apologise for that game. It's also the first time a numbered Final Fantasy game has effectively failed.

Any predictions for the "death" of the Final Fantasy series are way, way, way premature, I think.

Edited on by Bankai

Slapshot

I don't foresee the death of Final Fantasy or anything. I just think that the series needs to go back to what it does best. Single Final Fantasy games (numbered), and yes I'm putting FFXIII into that equation. I've yet to get a chance to play it, but I actually think it's up my alley for what I'd like again in the series. I absolutely loved FFVIII. These spin-offs, after spin-off and then the loads of remakes over and over is just getting a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

@Waltz... umm you know this, but PSP does indeed have lines of people in masses for game releases. It's just in Japan. Each and every new Monster Hunter game, Star Ocean, etc.

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Bankai

slapshot82 wrote:

I don't foresee the death of Final Fantasy or anything. I just think that the series needs to go back to what it does best. Single Final Fantasy games (numbered), and yes I'm putting FFXIII into that equation. I've yet to get a chance to play it, but I actually think it's up my alley for what I'd like again in the series. I absolutely loved FFVIII. These spin-offs, after spin-off and then the loads of remakes over and over is just getting a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

@Waltz... umm you know this, but PSP does indeed have lines of people in masses for game releases. It's just in Japan. Each and every new Monster Hunter game, Star Ocean, etc.

I do agree that S-E is oversatuating the market with Final Fantasy games. Even simple stuff, like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles... it's leading to a brand dilution. But I think long term they'll be forced to just stick with the numbered games.

As for the PSP stuff - the Final Fantasy brand doesn't have quite the same draw power in Japan as Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest - especially from the PS2 era onwards. It's still a big name, but to expect the same success as Monster Hunter was always mission impossible.

Stuffgamer1

Wow, that's quite a debate! I do agree that it's a bit ridiculous how many games with "Final Fantasy" in the title release nowadays, but that doesn't mean they're all (or even mostly) bad. And yes, I did know Dissidia 2 (the only shorthand for that obnoxious title that makes sense) is coming...I've been playing the first one a lot lately, trying to finish it up so I can get the sequel.

Part of me wishes they'd gone on to make more Final Fantasies more like FFIV (one of my favorites) instead of changing things too much (IMO) with stuff like FFVII (which I'm not really a fan of). But part of me does not, because FFX is another great favorite of mine, and it obviously wouldn't have come around if they'd stuck to the same old thing previously. I'm also one of those who actually really liked FFXII, so there we go again. Overall, I'd say the franchise is so massive that you'd be a fool to judge games bearing the title against each other. Squenix just likes to pump them out because they always sell better than completely new IP's just on brand recognition. Maybe if more people bought their other stuff, this would be slightly less of an issue.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Bankai

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

Squenix just likes to pump them out because they always sell better than completely new IP's just on brand recognition. Maybe if more people bought their other stuff, this would be slightly less of an issue.

This is true. If Nier had have been called "Final Fantasy: Nier" it would have sold about 100,000 extra copies in each country.

I'm pulling that number out of thin air, but if you guys want SE to stop calling everything "Final Fantasy xxxx" Then buy the SE stuff that ISN'T Final Fantasy

zezhyrule

It's true, I'm kinda guilty of that myself. Since all FF games are different, they sure can attach that title to anything if they want it to sell more.

really... adding final fantasy to the beginning of Nier kinda makes me wanna try it out... Dx

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

Bankai

zezhyrule wrote:

It's true, I'm kinda guilty of that myself. Since all FF games are different, they sure can attach that title to anything if they want it to sell more.

really... adding final fantasy to the beginning of Nier kinda makes me wanna try it out... Dx

Honest, Final Fantasy: Nier is one of the most touching games I've played in a long time. The plot if genuinely powerful and affecting, the characters are great, and while the action is a little button-mashy, it's enjoyable enough.

Also, the best music ive heard in a very long time. It's very operatic.

So yes, call it Final Fantasy: Nier, then go buy it

SwerdMurd

Yeah I've got my eyes on Nier...as soon as it hits that magical price point (I'm hoping $15...that would make my day) I'm gonna pick it up.

For what it's worth I guess I can see why some people would like Suda's stuff... I'm just not one of them at all. And yeah...Final Fantasy's still working for me, despite all my friends being dead to the franchise these days (got in with VII, got out shortly after X) XIII was fun...if I made a checklist of the time I spent doing various things on XIII it probably wouldn't look even remotely enjoyable, but I couldn't put the game down. Then again, I still play the NES Dragon Warrior games now and again (recently re-beat the japanese SNES versions) so my tastes are admittedly strange.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

Fuzzy

This thread has been good for getting me to try games that I was on the fence about. I loved Enslaved, and now I'm loving Darksiders. It takes some familiar concepts/ideas from Zelda/GoW, but it still feels fresh, and is probably one the games I've had the most fun with on my ps3. Next after that is Borderlands. Might check out Nier and see if that's to my taste.

I've never been able to get into Final Fantasy, but that's probably becasue I never really played it when I was younger. Didn't really like FFXIII, but I think I might try IV and VI first, and then work my way up from there and see how I go. I hadn't played a Dragon Quest game until last year, but now I've played 5 of them and am now in love the series, so all these old RPG's are still all new to me.

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

Popyman

I'm surprised you like Nier, Elf, it reminded me a lot of No More Heroes. XD But yeah, AMAZING game. It and Enslaved are the best stories I've got on my PS3.

Also, you do know SE just published Nier, right? They had no hand at all in the development. And The World Ends With You didn't have anything to do with Final Fantasy and sold great. If anything, it's SE's fault for not making more non-FF games. Seriously, name me some that have came out in the past couple of years? TWEWY and Kingdom Hearts games (which probably don't count since the FF fanservice) are all I can think of...but I don't really follow SE very closely so I could have very well missed something.

Swerd_Murd wrote:

Yeah I've got my eyes on Nier...as soon as it hits that magical price point (I'm hoping $15...that would make my day) I'm gonna pick it up.

It's already $15 at GameStop.

Edited on by Popyman

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

CanisWolfred

Popyman wrote:

I'm surprised you like Nier, Elf, it reminded me a lot of No More Heroes. XD

How? It seems like it's absolutely nothing like No More Heroes.

Popyman wrote:

Also, you do know SE just published Nier, right?

He's well aware of that, since one of his favorite developers made it, whom are now defunct.

Popyman wrote:

Swerd_Murd wrote:

No it's not.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Popyman

Mickeymac wrote:

Popyman wrote:

I'm surprised you like Nier, Elf, it reminded me a lot of No More Heroes. XD

How? It seems like it's absolutely nothing like No More Heroes.

Popyman wrote:

Also, you do know SE just published Nier, right?

He's well aware of that, since one of his favorite developers made it, whom are now defunct.

Popyman wrote:

Swerd_Murd wrote:

No it's not.

"Bad" combat.
"Bad" overworld.
"Bad" side missons.
Re-playability (this one might just be me).
And on the second playthrough it has No More Heroes almost exact formula: Fight your way to the boss, learn the bosses back story, kill it.

Well okay, I'm not a WaltzElf expert like you.

It was in January when I bought it. And any way, is three more dollars really that big of a deal? >_>
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/nier/75034

Edited on by Popyman

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

Popyman

Every GameStop I've been into since January still has it marked down to $15. shrugs

BedCommando

Popyman wrote:

Every GameStop I've been into since January still has it marked down to $15. shrugs

Same up here in canada. Bad game got the price drop new, which put the used value into pocket change.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

SilentJ

I know most everyone hated the Ghost Rider movie but I just thought I'd let you guys know it's available to rent for free on the video section of the PS Store. I think today might be the last day so download it asap if your interested. Oh, and this might just available in the US.

Edited on by SilentJ

PSN ID : MrPink78

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.